Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I remember the Duvet episode, and remember the mother said she named her daughter that because she knew she would be a comfort to her parents.   No, I'm not kidding about that.   There is no way that dress, even with the bolero over it, would work for a Temple wedding.   Of course, maybe they wear other modest gowns in the Temple ceremony.  

I really liked the daughter, and though she was a lovely person, but the mother was awful.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 8/24/2019 at 11:57 PM, maggiegil said:

Was laughing when airport brides family in law were saying that the super sparkly dress wasn't grand enough for a wedding on an airport runway!

I know when I think "airport", I think "ballgown covered in sequins".

Wait. You don't? 😉

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
On 8/18/2019 at 10:19 AM, ChitChat said:

I don't care for strapless dresses that are that low.  I wanted to reach through the screen and pull it up!  As a small-busted women, those types of dresses accentuate what I don't have!  

But don't forget Magical Vera and her mad boobie-enhancing skills!

Small-busted brides will miraculously gain a couple of cup sizes at the final fitting...😊

• Love 2

I know SYTTD doesn't need to take as much care with continuity as most shows but we've already seen brides try on the dresses Randy is showing for "the first time" and the new consultant James was already on a few weeks ago but this episode takes place during his first week.

SYTTD quit trying to make Shay happen! If I never have to see him and his cheap blue suit again it'll be too soon.

I really liked weigh loss bride's dress, she looked great.

My heart broke for the bride who ordered the dress and the store went bankrupt, she was so upset, thats how I would be too, what unnecessary stress so close to the wedding. She was making me tear up. So nice that we had a happy ending, it looked like a fun wedding.

I feel so sorry for everyone else that was caught up with that store closing down. Its a pity that the manufacturer doesn't have a way to contact the brides if something like this happened and ask them to pay the balance or something towards it rather than sell a custom gown at a fraction of the price that the original bride would have paid.

Didn't love the Randy dress (Serena?) that was chosen by both brides , I'm never a fan of visible boning (looked so much better lined) but they both looked so happy the dress doesn't really matter

• Love 5

I loved weight loss bride’s mother.  Even though she wanted her daughter to wear a ballgown she didn’t try to impose her will.  As long as her daughter tried on a ballgown that was enough for her.  More mothers should take a page out of her book.

• Love 15

I just watched an older episode that included Shark Tank Barbara Corcoran.  What a bitch.  She was so full of herself, way over opinionated and a general pain in the ass.  I have no idea why the bride allowed her to be at the appointment, but it was obvious her fiancé was the one who wanted her there.  At the end, the bride was trying to be polite when she said she would tell her fiancé that Barbara was “fun, but a little bit too honest”.  A little bit too honest?  No, she was a bitchy budinski who served no purpose. 

• Love 3

Thought the 42 old bride from Arizona was a little old to wear ripped jeans to Kleinfelds and also thought that the bridal dogs was a dumb idea.  She could have at least dressed a little better for the appointment.

• Love 7

Other than the dogs (I hate when people do that to poor animals) I liked the 42 year old bride.  I do think that Randy played it out a little too long.  Just give her the damned dress and stop reiterating the sob story. I'm sure she was at her wit's end by that time, no dress with 19 days to go.   It took her 12 years to get to a wedding so stop dragging it out any longer.  Loved her parents.

The Paradise bride - she really was beautiful girl and another heartbreaking story.  Her family was nice and supportive which makes a welcome change.  More of that please!

• Love 8
18 hours ago, maggiegil said:

SYTTD quit trying to make Shay happen! If I never have to see him and his cheap blue suit again it'll be too soon.

Oh yes, his name is Shay.  I had posted "Shane" up above.  I'm not happy to see him back on the show.

• Love 3

How do the male consultants dress the brides? Do they ask brides if they mind a male dressing them or do they have an unseen female underling actually doing the dressing?

Obviously it wouldn't be an issue for many brides but I would imagine some brides would prefer a female consultant to actually assist in dressing.

It's not a matter of discrimination because the job description would have same sex being a bona fide employment qualification.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, amarante said:

Obviously it wouldn't be an issue for many brides but I would imagine some brides would prefer a female consultant to actually assist in dressing.

I have often wondered the same thing especially with those see through dresses that preclude wearing any underwear.  Gay or straight, I'm not sure I'd like to be naked with a guy dressing me.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I have often wondered the same thing especially with those see through dresses that preclude wearing any underwear.  Gay or straight, I'm not sure I'd like to be naked with a guy dressing me.

A few years ago I was in a Victoria Secrets and there was a male salesperson...I was not down for a fitting from him.

• Love 3

It’s so unappealing to me when it’s the Randy and Ronnie show.  I’m really starting to dislike Randy.  He just had to point out that both brides of tragedy chose the same dress of his.  Yes, we saw, get over yourself.

It was obvious that Arizona Amy would need major alteration to that made-for-her dress since they needed the jumper cables to keep it on her.  I guess she could have lost weight from the nerves though.

Paradise bride was lovely, and her mother and mother-in-law were stunning and very sweet.

Loved Ashley’s dress and her family too.  Too bad creepy Shay had to make an appearance.

So no obnoxious entourages this week - that’s got to be a first!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, amarante said:

How do the male consultants dress the brides? Do they ask brides if they mind a male dressing them or do they have an unseen female underling actually doing the dressing?

My guess is that, with this show, you get what you get.  Want to be on the show?  Want to be filmed?  You get who you get.  I remember the bride who sued the show because her show was going to air before her wedding.  She lost and the show basically said that, had she requested for her episode to be held back ahead of time, they simply wouldn't have filmed her.

I've never shopped for a wedding dress but from looking online, it seems that people's experiences varied from having the consultant in the room to having the consultant waiting outside to button or zip up the dress.  I would assume a bride could request a specific gender but we've also seen some brides wearing light robes as they got into the dresses which probably offers some modesty until the dress is mostly on. 

• Love 2

Slightly off topic but not really, I'm interested to hear if anyone saw Ellie Gouldings wedding photos this weekend (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7414707/Ellie-Goulding-Caspar-Jopling-WEDDING-Singers-designer-dress-took-640-hours-make.html)

Completely opposite to a Pnina but it was too covered up in my opinion, something of a neckline instead of a pie crust collar would have made the dress so much nicer and the bridesmaids dresses looked like something out of handmaids tale.

Thoughts?

• Love 2

I dislike the whole thing. Ellie’s dress looks like it’s from the 60s, the fabric appears heavy for summer, and the bridesmaids all in white just blend in with her.  She doesn’t stand out from them other than when she’s wearing the veil.

• Love 6

I never and I mean never want to see Shay on my TV ever again. I thought he'd been exiled from TV after his 'introductory' season. Disastrous introductory season.

Nobody likes you,Dude. Take a hint and snatch yourself off the screen.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, DiamondGirl said:

Ellie’s dress looks like it’s from the 60s, the fabric appears heavy for summer, and the bridesmaids all in white just blend in with her.  She doesn’t stand out from them other than when she’s wearing the veil.

I think one of the problems is that there is no detail distinguishable in these pictures. Only one showed what might have been embroidered detail on the wedding gown but it's impossible to see in any of the other pictures especially those taken in the bright sunshine.  It might have been beautiful and intricate (one would hope if it took umpteen hours to embroider) but no way to tell.  Same with the bridesmaids - in the bright light they look like bed sheets.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, DiamondGirl said:

I dislike the whole thing. Ellie’s dress looks like it’s from the 60s, the fabric appears heavy for summer, and the bridesmaids all in white just blend in with her.  She doesn’t stand out from them other than when she’s wearing the veil.

I think that's what she was going for. She arrived to the church in a 60s VW van, so maybe that was her theme

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I think one of the problems is that there is no detail distinguishable in these pictures. …  Same with the bridesmaids - in the bright light they look like bed sheets.

True. I read the comments below the article and learned that the bridesmaids dresses were gray. Looking at the pictures, I thought they might have been ivory. Everything seemed very conservative, except for the hair of the bridesmaids. Ponytails? Odd. -- Though, to be fair, with the way the wind was blowing, no hairdo would have survived.

Edited by rur
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, DiamondGirl said:

I actually liked her dress minus the ruffle at the top of the neckline.  Very classic, not trashy low cut/skin tight dress.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, cameron said:

I actually liked her dress minus the ruffle at the top of the neckline.  Very classic, not trashy low cut/skin tight dress.

I agree, lose the ruffle around the neck.  I have no idea who Ellie and Caspar are though.  (I thought it might be Kleinfeld consultant Ellie until I saw the article)

On 9/1/2019 at 4:14 PM, Irlandesa said:

we've also seen some brides wearing light robes as they got into the dresses which probably offers some modesty until the dress is mostly on.

That's what I thought, slip the robe off when the dress gets pulled up.

Edited by roughing it
  • Love 1

Not to belabor the point but I doubt that a woman who is modest about being dressed by a male consultant is going to be okay because she gets to wear a dressing gown for part of the process.

All of the women are given those gowns because it is not logistically possible to get dressed after each dress is put on and typically most people want to have a robe on when they are in a dressing room. Same reason one is given a gown at the doctor's even though at some point one's body will be exposed.

At some point during the process the consultant is going to get intimate with the client's body in some way and I would imagine there are many women who would not be okay with a male consultant either viewing her or helping the dress over her body - especially when some of the time the consultants really have to get in there to get the client dressed.

I wonder whether they ask women if they are okay with a male consultant when they book the appointment since the appointments at Kleinfelds are set up with specific consultants before the client comes in and it would be difficult to change consultants in the moment. I can't imagine they would refuse to let a woman have a female consultant if that is her preference for modesty.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, amarante said:

Not to belabor the point but I doubt that a woman who is modest about being dressed by a male consultant is going to be okay because she gets to wear a dressing gown for part of the process.

All of the women are given those gowns because it is not logistically possible to get dressed after each dress is put on and typically most people want to have a robe on when they are in a dressing room. Same reason one is given a gown at the doctor's even though at some point one's body will be exposed.

At some point during the process the consultant is going to get intimate with the client's body in some way and I would imagine there are many women who would not be okay with a male consultant either viewing her or helping the dress over her body - especially when some of the time the consultants really have to get in there to get the client dressed.

I wonder whether they ask women if they are okay with a male consultant when they book the appointment since the appointments at Kleinfelds are set up with specific consultants before the client comes in and it would be difficult to change consultants in the moment. I can't imagine they would refuse to let a woman have a female consultant if that is her preference for modesty.

Kleinfeld's has an entire area set aside for modest bridal wear; originally developed for the Orthodox Jewish community but also used by Muslims who cover, Latter Day Saints and other women who do not publicly expose their arms or legs or other non-erotic parts, let alone their breasts or thighs.  Those women are never going to be ok with a male sales associate.  Kleinfeld's has to have a system in place to allow their customers to choose to exclude male employees from the dress selection process.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Kleinfeld's has an entire area set aside for modest bridal wear; originally developed for the Orthodox Jewish community but also used by Muslims who cover, Latter Day Saints and other women who do not publicly expose their arms or legs or other non-erotic parts, let alone their breasts or thighs.  Those women are never going to be ok with a male sales associate.  Kleinfeld's has to have a system in place to allow their customers to choose to exclude male employees from the dress selection process.

Way way way WAY back in the day Kleinfelds was located in Brooklyn and its customer base was pretty much from the Jews and Italians of the area. What was amazing was that it carried very high end bridal wear back then so its customers didn't have to shlep to Manhattan which was what most people in Brooklyn did for better clothing. A&S then located in the Fulton Street downtown area of Brooklyn was somewhat of an alternative for middle class type of stuff.

In one of the first or second seasons, there was an Orthodox bride who had her dress specifically redesigned to be "tznius" - the Yiddish word for the modestly requirements.

A few seasons back there was the daughter of one of the fabulously wealthy Syrian Jewish families of Brooklyn who bought a super expensive ball gown - e.g. in the $25,000 or so price range. I think it was modest as well but it wasn't specifically mentioned as a requirement the way in which the other Orthodox bride had as part of the plot line.

Of course these were actually attractive dresses - modest in the way in which English royalty has modest but elegant dresses for the ceremony. There was also an episode in which one of the Duggar women (or some other fundamentalist women) got a bride and it looked like something out of Little House on The Fugly Prairie :-).

Edited by amarante
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, amarante said:

There was also an episode in which one of the Duggar women (or some other fundamentalist women) got a bride and it looked like something out of Little House on The Fugly Prairie :-).

The Duggar episode was a cross-over for Boob and Michelle's vow renewal (or "vow removal," as one of their eleventy-seven kids said at the time). It was better before Michelle essentially had them add a modesty dickey with a mock turtleneck to it. Plus Boob wanted leg-o-mutton sleeves because that's what he liked in the 80s.

I know way too much about this...

Edited by jcbrown
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1
On 9/2/2019 at 10:32 AM, carolinagirl81 said:

I think that's what she was going for. She arrived to the church in a 60s VW van, so maybe that was her theme

I got more of a cultish sister-wife vibe, especially when the bride & bridesmaids were pictured together.

• Love 1
On 9/3/2019 at 3:04 PM, amarante said:

Of course not but I think we all acknowledge people's lines will be different.  For some brides, hanging out in their underwear with a male consultant would be a no go but having the thin protection of a dressing gown would be just enough to make them comfortable.  For other brides, it would never be enough just like there are woman who would seek out female doctors and massage therapists.

Ultimately, the store wants to make a sale so they're not going to chase them out of the store by giving them a consultant they don't want to change in front of.

10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Kleinfeld's has an entire area set aside for modest bridal wear; originally developed for the Orthodox Jewish community but also used by Muslims who cover, Latter Day Saints and other women who do not publicly expose their arms or legs or other non-erotic parts, let alone their breasts or thighs.  Those women are never going to be ok with a male sales associate.

And from an article I read, Kleinfeld's actually has a consultant whose specific job is to work with brides requesting modesty for religious reasons. And yes, it's a woman.

• Love 3

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but Shay didn’t bother me this episode. In fact, I liked him. He was helpful and fun with his bride, and seemed pleasant with the new guy. Yes, his first few shows did not paint him favorably, but I have a feeling that was more due to producer manipulation than his actual personality. 

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but Shay didn’t bother me this episode. In fact, I liked him. He was helpful and fun with his bride, and seemed pleasant with the new guy. Yes, his first few shows did not paint him favorably, but I have a feeling that was more due to producer manipulation than his actual personality. 

Agree. Once he and Randy got passed pissing on fire hydrants it's all good.

• Love 5

I was confused tonight when Hailey Paige brought her "boyfriend" when she came to Kleinfeld's to surprise the HP obsessed bride because I remembered an episode not that long ago that talked about the five dresses she had designed for her own wedding. It turns out that was in 2015 when she married a guy named Danny after a very brief courtship. They divorced last year and she began dating Conrad who is a fitness model. Since the episode was filmed, Hailey and Conrad have gotten engaged. I wonder if she's going to design MORE dresses for her next wedding. 

• Love 4

Do brides really become so obsessed with certain designers that they squeal like they're at a Backstreet Boys concert when they see them?  Do they really insist that the only dresses they want to try on must be from their favorite?  Chelsea was already a little bit extra with the Disney princess baloney, but the shrieking over Hailey Page and the almighty "Pepper' gown was really over the top.  Maybe its because I've never married, but I have gone dress shopping with a couple of friends/sisters and have never, ever seen any of them behave like the ridiculous brides on this show do.

The bride from Hong Kong, Sheryl, had a delightfully smoky speaking voice.  Her fiancé, Conrad, was not nearly so delightful.  I have discovered that, on this show, anyone who claims to be a 'hopeless romantic' is actually speaking in code.  What he really meant is, 'I am a pretentious show-off who likes to throw money around so people know I am rich.'  The multiple proposals in multiple exotic locales was a dead giveaway.  I really didn't care what dress she picked, I knew it would be overpriced and tacky, so I was kind of surprised when it was fairly inexpensive for Kleinfeld's, though the neckline cut to the waist was certainly tacky, IMO.

I really didn't care about Randy staging a fashion show in Barcelona, either.  I don't watch this show for that.

And I have really come to hate the new décor at the salon.  The white walls and the background cluttered with people and stuff makes it hard to really get a good look at the dresses.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9

The “Peppa” dress (as Diane pronounced it) did the bride no favors in the chestal area. 

I think Hong Kong Bride and over the top fiancé David Wu were there to create a “Crazy Rich Asian” storyline. 

• Love 13
On 9/5/2019 at 10:55 PM, DietCokeJunkie said:

Yes, his first few shows did not paint him favorably, but I have a feeling that was more due to producer manipulation than his actual personality.

That sounds about right!  Shay did seem to have a bit of an attitude towards Randy when he first got there, and I think that Randy is so used to helping the sales associates that he really didn't mean to step on Shay's toes, but I'm glad that they talked it out and can now work together without the drama.  Shay does have a fun attitude and would probably be great to work with.  Honestly, any of the sales associates seem like they would be good to work with.  

14 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Chelsea was already a little bit extra with the Disney princess baloney, but the shrieking over Hailey Page and the almighty "Pepper' gown was really over the top. 

What is this Pepper gown you speak of?  lol.   How many times did they say 'Pepper gown?'  I had to mute the TV.

I would've liked to have seen the gown that the bride who tried on the Hailey dress (the blush one with sleeves) ended up getting at another salon.  I didn't like either long-sleeve gown she tried on at Kleinfelds.  I think she needed to go with a different style.  

8 minutes ago, magemaud said:

The “Peppa” dress (as Diane pronounced it) did the bride no favors in the chestal area. 

I agree.  It was a lovely dress, but I think they could've found something nice that would've enhanced the bust area.  I don't have much in that department either, so I know that the low-cut and deep-V necklines don't do me any favors either.  I did like the rose pattern on the dress though.  I thought that 3 proposals were ridiculous too.  Was he not sure he heard her right the first or second time?  Maybe the third time's a charm!   They'll probably be renewing their vows every 5 years with all of the hoopla each time.  

• Love 5

Really glad that the heavy bride decided against the Hayley Paige.  It did her no favors.  It just didn't have a flattering cut and shape for her body type, no matter how much she wanted it to.

I usually don't like a ton of bling, but I thought that the first dress she tried on, the Dennis Basso, looked fantastic on her.  And I really wish they could have shown the dress she actually DID pick.

• Love 8

AGAIN the lost-dress storyline.  TWICE.  Oh dear, where oh where could it be, whatever shall we do?  Apparently these Hayley dresses move around on their own.  Kleinfeld has no system of tracking the location of their thousands(?) of designer gowns?  They don’t go into a computer to mark that Peppa went to the repair shop?  

Of course with the annoying owner wandering around randomly with apple pie, I guess anything is possible.

That 52-couple wedding show sounds absurd.  Couldn’t pay me to watch that.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

They'll probably be renewing their vows every 5 years with all of the hoopla each time.  

Five years? How about EVERY year in a different exotic place? Remember the bride who wanted a dress she could take with her for her annual vow renewal? Maybe they'll even be back on the show. 

2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I thought that 3 proposals were ridiculous too.  Was he not sure he heard her right the first or second time?  Maybe the third time's a charm!  

Cheryl WAS kind of a "low talker." 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, cameron said:

Couldn't get pass the front teeth of Chelsea, the bride from North Carolina and her silly tiaras.

I found the teeth, facial grimaces and her straggly waist length black hair very distracting. I thought she'd at least do something pretty with her hair for the wedding, but no. 

• Love 1

I was a little disappointed that Cinderella didn't brush her hair for her wedding either...I did love the gown. I really like Hayley Paige's gowns. I'm particularly fond of the tone on tone stripped organza fabric she sometimes uses. And I did love Cheryl's voice...thought her man was a little over the top....

• Love 2
6 hours ago, cameron said:

Chelsea, the bride from North Carolina and her silly tiaras.  Saw picture of the wedding venue on the internet and it didn't look as grand as she was describing.

Wasn't she the one who was having her wedding on her parents' 9 acres on Kitty Hawk? I'm surprised she just didn't do the whole DisneyWorld Princess Theme destination wedding. 

• Love 3

I don't mind Shay either now that they've dropped the Randy tension....although I do notice we rarely see them interact the way he does with other consultants.

I too would have liked to see what dress the other bride found but I'm glad we at least got an update. 

So has Haley Page officially replace Pnina?  We rarely see Pnina and see Haley all the time now. I prefer her style as opposed to Pnina.

I loved the Hong Kong bride.  At first, she was this weird combination of being difficult (hating everything) and polite (unwilling to say that she hated what her consultant had picked out) but when she found one she liked, it was it.  She wasn't going to waste time going out to show anyone for anything less than the dress she was going to buy. 

4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

'I am a pretentious show-off who likes to throw money around so people know I am rich.'

I was shocked he even said there was a budget.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, cameron said:

Couldn't get pass the front teeth of Chelsea, the bride from North Carolina and her silly tiaras.  Saw picture of the wedding venue on the internet and it didn't look as grand as she was describing.

It was like she kept pulling her top lip up over her teeth when she talked.  Also?  She kept saying "gived".  Gived.  (Unless I was misunderstanding what she was saying.)

5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I really didn't care about Randy staging a fashion show in Barcelona, either.  I don't watch this show for that.

Seriously.  I like Randy and I like looking at wedding gowns, but they should have just done one special show at the end of the season with all the extra Randy scenes they've been putting into SYTTD.

In the 2nd hour?  That young woman who lost all the weight?  I did like Randy's dress on her, but I thought it was funny that she hated that mermaid so much when there have been other brides, about the same size or bigger, who looked worse in the mermaid style, but loved the look and bought the dress.  On this woman, I didn't think it looked that bad, but I respect that she hated it. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

It was like she kept pulling her top lip up over her teeth when she talked.  Also?  She kept saying "gived".  Gived.  (Unless I was misunderstanding what she was saying.)

Seriously.  I like Randy and I like looking at wedding gowns, but they should have just done one special show at the end of the season with all the extra Randy scenes they've been putting into SYTTD.

In the 2nd hour?  That young woman who lost all the weight?  I did like Randy's dress on her, but I thought it was funny that she hated that mermaid so much when there have been other brides, about the same size or bigger, who looked worse in the mermaid style, but loved the look and bought the dress.  On this woman, I didn't think it looked that bad, but I respect that she hated it. 

Obviously she had taste.  Didn't try to stuff her self in a gown that wasn't a good bit.

• Love 3