Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I ran across this and had to post it: 

I wish all the girls/women who say they want to look like a princess and buy a stripper fairy dress would look at what real royalty wears. All dresses had sleeves of some sort and none of them were see through. (I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's still fun to look at  some "real" princess dresses.) 

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-style/pictures/most-amazing-royal-wedding-dresses-ever-201143/13316

• Love 6

I ran across this and had to post it: 

I wish all the girls/women who say they want to look like a princess and buy a stripper fairy dress would look at what real royalty wears. All dresses had sleeves of some sort and none of them were see through. (I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's still fun to look at  some "real" princess dresses.) 

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-style/pictures/most-amazing-royal-wedding-dresses-ever-201143/13316

rur - thanks for posting that website from usmagazine - gorgeous gowns, indeed!  Over the years of watching SYTTD it NEVER ceases to amaze me why any bride would want to look like a slut on her wedding day.  Why do brides insist on having their boobs fall out of those sweetheart necklines?  Yes, you've got huge boobs -- show 'em to your husband on your wedding night!  Unbelievable!

• Love 1

This is what I've been saying for years. I've watched every royal wedding since 2002 Willem-Alexander and Maxima live streamed online. I can still gush about Victoria and Daniel. No I don't speak the language but still. Royal wedding are my Super Bowl.

• Love 2
(edited)

I had the same thought about REAL princess dresses this morning while watching the Sunday repeats.

Especially the "princess of New Orleans" with the see-through bodice, tacky "bling" and monster-sized hoop that barely cleared the aisle. Sheesh.

Edited by RealityCowgirl

I had the same thought about REAL princess dresses this morning while watching the Sunday repeats.

Yeah - every time someone goes, "I want a Princess Dress!" and then they end up with the tacky see through and strapless gowns, I exclaim, "A real princess wouldn't be caught dead in that".

Princesses marry in churches and they must wear sleeves and be modestly covered.

My favorite gown worn by a Princess (or a woman who became a Princess through marriage) is Princess Stephanie of Luxembourg. That Elie Saab gown trumped every other gown I'd seen from any Princess over the past 10 years (even Kate's - which, though pretty - was pedestrian because I'd seen that same style so often and it wasn't different enough to be unique to me). Princess Claire of Luxembourg had a gorgeous gown too - but the lace was overly heavy to me.

If a sales consultant ever says to me, "You'll look like a princess in this gown" while dragging in a strapless gown for me to try on, I'll have to retort, "Princesses wear sleeves though."

• Love 2

The third Luxembourg daughter in law Tessy wore strapless in 2006 but she wasn't becoming a Princess. (Louis gave up his succession rights because they'd had a son out of wedlock. She did get the title of Princess in 2009)

Last night I actually watched 2 back-to-back eps - the first "featuring" Kathy Griffin  who showed up to surprise her assistant who was there to buy a dress.  

Next ep. was with Tony Danza, who I do like, who was there to help pick out a dress for the star of the play in NY they're in - Honeymoon in Vegas (one of my fave movies).  That one was entertaining, and the dress they chose -- get ready for it -- by PNINA -- was actually pretty cute.  (GASP).  Of course, it was NOT see-thru.  Like how Tony Danza called organza ordanza. 

I'm so over the celebrity episodes.  They are beyond fake.

And I thought Tony Danza was a surprise exception: it was nice to see him again after all these years.  And I did think Ordanza was funny.  HOWEVER, that whole try-on-the-dress thing was completely fake.  What she wore in the actual play was the dress the costume designer had sketched and showed Randy right at the beginning of the program.  It bore absolutely no resemblance to anything she tried on in the store.  So, FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE.

I'm also sick of seeing the same dresses over and over again.  I did like that Ms Ballerina wanted something different, but didn't care much for the actual dress but at least she had a mature approach to shopping. 

And I am BEYOND sick of barely 10 minutes of content replayed 4-5 times to make up a 30 minute program.  Ugh.  Sounds like I'm done eh? To me too...

• Love 4

I watched a rerun this afternoon -- one of the brides was the one trying on dresses after having lap-band surgery but before she lost any weight. I remember the discussion about her timing from when the episode originally aired.

One of the other brides in the episode was an Italian girl who did not want a blingy dress, even though everyone she brought with her did. Something that stood out to me this time around was one of the folks in her entourage saying "It's not about you, it's about the gown." (Randy did take issue with this and state that it was about the bride. Good for him.) It got me thinking … about every wedding I've ever attended  … and I basically don't remember the gowns at all. I remember the brides.

And on further reflection, I realized that most people at a wedding, unless they're sitting on the aisle, don't even see much of the gown. Mostly what they see is maybe a little of the gown from the side and then a lot of the back of the bride. And, actually, that presents a bit of an argument against strapless gowns, but not for the reason one would think. I remember attending the wedding of a young woman I was quite close to. She wore a strapless dress, and I spent the first half of the ceremony kind of fretting for her because that strapless dress was letting everyone in the congregation see how tense she was. Near the end of the ceremony we could visibly see her relax.  

All that brings me around to saying what's been said here a bunch of times before: don't bring a big group of people with you, and buy what makes you "feel like a bride" (because most of the folks you invited to the wedding will only remember that you looked lovely). And, remember, the less fabric in the gown, the more that will be revealed about you -- either intentionally or accidentally.

Edited by rur
  • Love 3

I pretty much wanted to slap the bride's cousin, speaking as an italian-american woman who doesn't think being a tacky little bully is a proud part of my heritage (or my genetic makeup. She didn't seem to be clear that there's a difference).

• Love 4

I just watched an episode with an attractive Black lady with straight shoulder-length hair. She was all "I don't want strapless, I don't want a sweetheart neckline, I don't want lace, I don't want this, I don't want that" & she poo-pooed everything the sales clerk brought in. The sales lady got frustrated at one point & said "you don't know what you want." Finally, she was coaxed to step out of her shell-----right into a $5000 strapless, sweetheart, Dennis Basso disaster! She loved it (that's what's important) but I thought it looked tacky & inexpensive. There was just too much! Beading down the front & ruching & poufy mermaid....Ugh! I've seen it a hundred times before.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for these shows.....

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 3

All-Pnini all of the time last night. My goodness- that fame-whore Jersey Shore family- what a bunch of idiots. Were they trying out for a sit-com? Their faces were all interchangable- even the bride. The only dress I slightly liked was the one shoulder that we never saw. Isn't the Situtation's 15 minutes just about up?

• Love 5

I didn't understand the dress choices that the consultants brought to the woman who didn't want strapless. When she (the client) first said, "No strapless," I was kind of excited because I thought that we'd get to see dresses with sleeves. But no. Everything they brought her was basically strapless anyway. The first dress with the (IMO) horrific band of flowers that went over one shoulder looked a half-hearted concession to the bride's wishes, since the band seemed to offer decoration and not support. Almost everything they brought in to her looked like it had spaghetti straps, which is darn close to strapless if you're worried about the girls falling out, which the bride was.  I saw no sleeves, or illusion tops, or anything that could have showcased the diversity of Kleinfeld's inventory. Instead we were just shown the same stuff over again. Shame on them. 

• Love 2

On a previous show last year, I think I remember one of the consultants saying they did not have many dresses with sleeves in their inventory.  Cannot remember if it was SYTTD or the Atlanta version.  Not everyone can wear a strapless dress and they should realize that what looks good on one person will not look good on them, but human nature being what it is, everyone thinks a dress will magically make them look like Kim Kardashian or Kate Middleton or whoever the popular person is at the time.  i am seeing more and more wedding dresses with sleeves and straps in our local paper on the wedding writeup page which is slightly encouraging that perhaps that style is making a comeback.    

• Love 3

I didn't understand the dress choices that the consultants brought to the woman who didn't want strapless. When she (the client) first said, "No strapless," I was kind of excited because I thought that we'd get to see dresses with sleeves. But no. Everything they brought her was basically strapless anyway. The first dress with the (IMO) horrific band of flowers that went over one shoulder looked a half-hearted concession to the bride's wishes, since the band seemed to offer decoration and not support. Almost everything they brought in to her looked like it had spaghetti straps, which is darn close to strapless if you're worried about the girls falling out, which the bride was.  I saw no sleeves, or illusion tops, or anything that could have showcased the diversity of Kleinfeld's inventory. Instead we were just shown the same stuff over again. Shame on them. 

And the consultant had the gall to whine "but you don't like anythinnnnnnnnnnnggggg..." I wanted her to walk out the door, rather than concede to the strapless monstrosity she ended up getting. Realizing she was being picky, but the consultant wasn't trying.

• Love 1

Yes, I was surprised they showed that clip of the consultant saying "you don't know what you want." lol. I sort of faded out in that episode, but I wasn't wild with her choice.

The Jersey boys family with the Mike guy and his brothers --- ack! They were trying soooooooo hard! It was cute at first, then got old. Agree that it felt like they were trying for their own sitcom. Glad she chose something other than that tired old heavy-looking satin dress with the bling on bodice and dropped waist.

Then the Jersey girl who thought she wanted bling but chose simpler. I liked the dress she chose and happy she realized she didn't have to be outrageous to be noticed. I think her twin would be more attractive with darker hair. I recognized the friend (Kelly?) who I believe ended up getting her own one-hour special about her wedding. Glad they didn't give her too much screen time; this was the bride's moment.

• Love 2

And the consultant had the gall to whine "but you don't like anythinnnnnnnnnnnggggg..." I wanted her to walk out the door, rather than concede to the strapless monstrosity she ended up getting. Realizing she was being picky, but the consultant wasn't trying.

I agree. I expected her to leave, too. Just for giggles, I went to  the Kleinfeld website this morning to look around. All of their featured designers, including Dennis Basso, offer dresses with some kind of sleeve, and with some kind of top other than strapless or spaghetti strap. It really would have been nice if she had been shown at least one of those. Then, if she still decided on the one she ended up with it wouldn't seem (to me) as if she had been railroaded into it.  

Up until pretty recently, Kleinfeld's was a Brooklyn store specializing in orthodox brides. They even had an appearance early in the show from the consultant who specializes in brides with religious modesty restrictions, and a later episode where Michelle Duggar had a dress a nun could have worn converted to a couch cover (sonething her daughters apparently aren't required to do).

I suspect what consultant meant was they didn't have anything among the corset-backed confections they promote on the show for her. A dress with sleeves has to actually fit.

• Love 3

So, I've been watching a lot of the reruns since I happen to have both SYTTD and SYTTD:A on my Ti-Faux (don't judge) ... have been watching a stretch of episodes which I think are all from early-mid 2014. 

One had a sports theme, with one bride marrying pitcher Liam Hendricks (so I guess that makes three MLB brides featured on this show --  him, Chad Gaudin and Freddie Freeman, yes?), one who had the head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins with her, and the third who was having a "baseball themed wedding" and was looking for a second reception dress that she'd lace up the back with red ribbons like a baseball (damn, I worked in baseball for 25 years and never went to a wedding where the bride dressed up like a baseball). 

So here's my observation, and maybe someone else on here has an episode on tape that they can confirm or deny ... the third bride, the one who was going to dress up like a baseball ... her maid of honor, sitting on the far right ... is it my imagination or is she actually wearing The Dress? You know the one I mean. I thought it was a recent phenomenon but I swear she's wearing it in an episode from a year ago. Maybe when it comes back on in its endless rerun marathon loop someone can check for me?

BLUE AND BLACK LOL!!!!!

Oh, also, last night I finally yelled at the TV (it takes a lot to get me to that point since I'm usually really vegging out when I watch this) ...

Bride who wanted a slightly blue gown with the (I think) twin sisters of which one never spoke (I guess they didn't want to pay SAG rates) and the other one was a complete twit who couldn't get past "it's BLUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE." 

Now, perhaps said sister felt it was her right to decide what her sister could/couldn't not wear because she herself was never ever ever going to get married because she's just horrible, annoying and homely to boot. 

But when bride actually finally bought an IVORY dress instead of a blue one, I felt like she was giving in to sister on this (and younger sister as well). I just can't imagine a) giving up your dream dress because your stupid younger sister doesn't like it or b) bringing stupid younger sister along to start with. 

I know we see this kind of draaaaaaaaaamallama a lot but usually the bride wins.

Personally, I loved the blue dresses. And the gorgeous blushy sherbet dress Toronto bride chose. And I thought the flowered dress of the third bride was kind of ugly but more because of the design and fit, not so much the flowers.

And I'll say this here and now, although my daughter would never in a million years go on a show like this, when the time comes she gets married I hope she'll bring me with her for dress shopping but she can choose whatever her heart desires and if she chooses plaid, that's fine as long as it makes her happy.  Luckily, my daughter would be horrified if she saw the prices here. When she heard my dress cost $750 way back when -- and I designed it myself and found a tailor on Queens Blvd. to make it from my sketch -- she couldn't believe I'd spend that much on a wedding dress LOL.  No Pnina for her, even if that is her Hebrew middle name --with an extra E for Excellent Spelling.

• Love 1

Oh my gosh how I love to hate-watch this show. The nipple dress was cute, but it was lined when she first tried it on, what was up with that? And the blonde with the cowboy boots doubling her budget for a trashy Pnina, words fail me. I wouldn't pay $14 for that thing much less $14,000. Did love me some Austin Scarlett, I liked his dress. His aesthetic was always romantic, but again the bride went way over budget. That bride had great hair though. I spend some much time fast forwarding through this show and the brides tend to run together, but it sure seems like there are more Pninas, than ever.

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 4

Jacksgirl, I totally agree with you about the cowboy boot wearing blonde and that horrid dress she chose.  She's going to look back on those wedding pictures and cringe years from now.  The 40 year old woman who brought the same group with her for her 2nd visit needed to listen to her sister and friends about those dresses.  Her friend was right when he said they did not flatter her figure and made her look large.  The dress she finally selected looked nice, but I would have liked to have seen her in an a-line dress to compare.  Then there was the bride who wanted something different, and boy did she get it.  That dress couldn't decide what it wanted to be - short, long, draped, see through.  Everyone was gushing that it was beautiful, but unless it improved in person, I thought it was a mess.  That's one that I wouldn't have paid $10 for.

Edited by laredhead
  • Love 2

I agree that dress had to quote Nina Garcia- a LOT going on! I couldnt even figure out how it looked!

The one last week with the bride who didn't want strapless etc, she was Miss Picky, she bought the most butt ugly dress I have seen in a long time on this show. It was hideous. You would think a picky person would have nixed that right away.

Cowboy boot girl proclaimed that you couldn't put a price on getting the dress she wanted and all I thought was - well, yeah, you just did - $14K.

She said Money can't buy that feeling. LOL LOL LOL yes $14,000 can buy it! What a collassal waste of money. They could have invested it and in 18 years have money  to pay for one of their kids to go to college! So stupid.

Okay so the one in the see through dress- I really hate that dress, just like all of you do. But just maybe it IS her style and taste, because I think of all the brides we have seen in it, she looked the most natural. Even her old mother liked her in it. I'm even afraid to admit I liked her in it. Of course it IS lingerie but it suited her to wear lingerie to her wedding. She just look a bit skanky and trashy. Did they not say it was a "Kentucky Derby" theme at the wedding? I saw no one wearing the hats at the wedding. Kentucky Derby-wear is classy (I think) so maybe once she picked out this skank dress, she nixed the Derby idea?

The Austin Scarlett gown was stunning. It was $6,700? I mean that's a lot (invest and get 2-3 years of college for your child)- She went up about $3,700 from her budget and I think that she will be able to come up with that or finance it over time. It really was a special dress (can't believe I'm saying that either). So the big loser of the episode was a $14,000 hideous see-through dress that is going to be worn with cowboy boots. I wonder if they have cow dung on them? 

• Love 2

The Austin Scarlett bride, Alexis Jones, was on Survivor a few years back. She didn't win but went far into the game. I thought at the time that she had the most beautiful hair I'd ever seen on a Survivor conttestant and I see that she still does.

I loved the dress she bought. So beautiful.

What is an "architectural" dress?

I am far from an expert in this area, but I think it refers to a dress that draws your eye with its unique structure.  It's not about the fabric or the bling--it's about the unique draping or neckline or train or some other structural feature.  It's about the lines.  Hope that makes sense!

• Love 4

I just can't stand these brides who come in with a list a mile long of what they DON'T want but haven't got a clue what they DO want.  That has to be super frustrating for the consultant.  You've gotta give them something to go on!  No wonder they hate everything that's brought in to them.  The consultant is just shooting in the dark and the brides won't give them any kind of idea of where to start!

• Love 1

I came to this thread just to comment on that fugly boot gal's dress.  In fact they were all hot messes this week aside from the Austin Scarlett or whatever that one was.  I just couldn't get over the bad, bad taste this week.  OMG these women are going to regret their decisions BIG TIME in about 20 years.  If the marriages don't end first, LOL.

I am far from an expert in this area, but I think it refers to a dress that draws your eye with its unique structure.  It's not about the fabric or the bling--it's about the unique draping or neckline or train or some other structural feature.  It's about the lines.  Hope that makes sense!

Yeah, it usually refers to minimalistic dresses with strong, angular lines and nothing fussy like lots of ruffles, lace or bling, etc.  It draws the attention to the shape rather than anything extra.

• Love 1

Episode "Booby Trap" showing now.  Did I just hear the consultant say to the mother do you want her in a turtle neck in response to her request for no plunging necklines?  Talk about way to kill a sale not to mention completely disrespectful ....

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 2

Yeah, I agree.  It's one thing to discuss what options are available to accommodate different issues, such as a large bust, but it should be kept very professional at all times.  I suspect this descent into disrespect is result of producer manipulation or editing especially as Randy was professional with the family.  Nice way to also drive up the budget, eh?

OK, now Mom is being a bit extreme with the cover up. AND they're all missing the fact that this girl should not be wearing a ballgown. OK, liked the dress she ended up with.

As regards the large busted girl, oh dear, that dress is so wrong in so many ways.  I don't think they put anything on her that was even in the ballpark for being right shape, material etc.  Sigh.  But CHA CHING at the register....

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 2

I feel the need to vent (among those who will understand how this silly show can get an otherwise rational adult to go out of her mind) that if there is one thing I know about bridal gowns, it's this: If just one of your breasts is larger than your head, you are NOT who strapless gowns are designed for. Especially not if the breasts are natural and not artificially inflated to stand straight up and out no matter what the rest of the body is doing. How anyone could think that young woman with the G cup size (I actually think she is larger) should be wearing a dress that has no support from above is beyond me. That was genuinely horrifying to watch.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 9

I give a lot of credit to the cantilevered wonder which was my strapless bra (my dress was off the shoulder, not strapless) but at significantly less than a G it was three days into my honeymoon before the ridges smoothed out from where the boning was. I would think really hard before making that particular decision.

• Love 1

She needed to hold onto whatever miracle of structural engineering she currently wears as a bra and have a dress made. Open up the cups, my ass. Surely there's a seamstress around* who could do a lot better for a lot less than what they ended up paying.

* Excluding the Bride By Design woman or Kelly Nishimoto.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

How anyone could think that young woman with the G cup size (I actually think she is larger) should be wearing a dress that has no support from above is beyond me. That was genuinely horrifying to watch.

I thought Randy said *J* cup, which seemed realistic to me, I'm an H/I cup and and she seemed slightly larger than me. And I agree, she would *need* straps on her bra, not just "opened cups" on the bodice - barring a real steel boned overbust corset with an extremely high back, there just isn't any way a strapless bra could hold the weight of her breasts. It's not being mean, it's just a limitation of fabric, plastic boning, and science. I don't care how much magic Vera can work in the alterations department. And even a corset is going to make things look funky in the chest at that size. I sincerely hope that in addition to the cup size customization, she got thick straps added and we just weren't privy to it.

As for the episode before that one (and the entire second episode made me a little uncomfortable frankly), I don't know if it was a rerun or a new one - but dear God the Pnina monstrosity that one girl (who wanted black and feathers) ended up with made me want to cry. It looked like tinfoil and cotton candy had an illegitimate stripper-fairy love child. I was waiting for her to pull out a two-year olds pretend magic wand. I fell in love with the all lace dress she tried on though (Danielle Caprese I think?). If someone could add sleeves to that in a matching lace, I'd be all over it if/when I ever get married. It was stunning on TV and stunning on her, even/especially with the black veil. And then she ended up with .... that.

• Love 1

Lordonia, you took the words out of my mouth about hiring a seamtress to custom make a dress if someone is a hard to fit size.  Surely there are people who would make a dress that fits well and would would cost less than $8,500. i was hoping that would be ceremony they chose to film so I could see how the dress looked after the alterations.

There is no way i would have spent $10,000 on that silver monstrosity.  Where do people find the money for such extravagant purchases that will be worn one time?   The bride said they would cut the guest list.  Makes me wonder how much was being spent per person on that wedding.  One day reality will catch up with some of these entitled young women and they will find that money doesn't grow on trees.  Try hocking that $10,000 dress and see how much you get for it.

• Love 5

There's arguably a human rights aspect to it, too. If you pay a seamstress to custom make a dress you can be fairly sure that a seamstress is being paid for custom making that dress. You only have to look at the prices at the sample sales to have a fair idea what little percentage of that $10k is the actual cost of the garment, and make a pretty sharp guess at how little of that the people who did all that handwork ever see. Even if they're doing that work voluntarily. Which they might not be.

• Love 3

There's arguably a human rights aspect to it, too. If you pay a seamstress to custom make a dress you can be fairly sure that a seamstress is being paid for custom making that dress. You only have to look at the prices at the sample sales to have a fair idea what little percentage of that $10k is the actual cost of the garment, and make a pretty sharp guess at how little of that the people who did all that handwork ever see. Even if they're doing that work voluntarily. Which they might not be.

Yeah, especially when many of these dresses are made offshore, in India and China!  I think it's an excellent observation and I thank you for that.

Is there a forum yet for the new show about Heidi Elnora's Bride-by-Design custom dresses?

• Love 1

Is there a forum yet for the new show about Heidi Elnora's Bride-by-Design custom dresses?

No, but if you go here and request one, it should be up within 24 hours or so. You'll need titles for 3 threads to start, so check the pinned Guidelines.

(edited)

Same, old, tired Pnina. You travel 3000 miles and want to jump on the same, old, tired Pnina - that dozens before you have chosen - right out of the gate?

Still watching the recording, but the sight of that stupid dress, and that dim-bulb cooing over it, made me want to hurl.

Or at least comment here. :)

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 6

RealityCowgirl, how many times have we seen brides try on that same dress and how many have bought it?  $13,000 - incredible.  The mother looked at the two sisters and said she had to go through this 2 more times.  She set the budget at between $8,000 and $10,000 and then proceeded to spend $13,000 on the dress alone.  No telling what the final total was after alterations, a veil, shoes, etc.  Of course, the bride did say that she impressed her new boyfriend by picking him up in her dad's Lamborgheni on their first date and that her fiance would do anything to please her.  I'm sure he would, if she arrived in a incredibly expensive sportscar on the first date.  She did not say what he does for a living, nor did she say anything about having a job.   

• Love 2

Probably she was a Botox rep...don't know how else she could her frozen face. I am so sick of seeing that dress.

I did love the blush one that the first bride tried on..that was beautiful, and beautiful on her.

• Love 3

the bride did say that she impressed her new boyfriend by picking him up in her dad's Lamborgheni on their first date and that her fiance would do anything to please her.  I'm sure he would, if she arrived in a incredibly expensive sportscar on the first date.  She did not say what he does for a living, nor did she say anything about having a job.

What an entitled, spoiled, dim, classless famewhore. I just assumed she was a reality TV person (I zoned out during her introduction) but it sounds like she is just a wannabe? She deserves that garish awful dress.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 1

Same, old, tired Pnina. You travel 3000 miles and want to jump on the same, old, tired Pnina - that dozens before you have chosen - right out of the gate?

Still watching the recording, but the sight of that stupid dress, and that dim-bulb cooing over it, made me want to hurl.

Or at least comment here. :)

And her "less is more" mom! If she really was less is more, she wouldn't have that hair nor those extremely fake lashes. But what bugged me the most was how she looked so much like the actress fro. "Drop Dead Diva" only more vapid.

Also, what has happened to this show? It used to show more normal people with more realistic stories. Now its just like every other show - drama, fakery, etc. I miss the old show and consultants.

• Love 2