Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What was up with the other new episode? Randy was talking about a his new set of dresses he was working on, then they dealt with another bride... and the mother was a piece of work... then out of nowhere it went to the Northern edition of Say Yes to the Dress (which I found to be rather bland). Was hit with so much whiplash that it wasn't funny XD.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Northern edition of Say Yes to the Dress (which I found to be rather bland). Was hit with so much whiplash that it wasn't funny XD.

Yeah they did this last season too.  The episode would be billed for two hours.  The first hour will be the real SYTTD.  The second hour will be the Northern edition.  Subsequent reruns will only be an hour and only show the first hour.  I don't understand why they do this.  If the Northern edition can't stand on its own without subertfuge, then they shouldn't be airing it.

The Northern edition used to be nicer overall, I thought, but from the little I've seen of this new season, it looks like they're going for awful entourages. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4
(edited)
8 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

I LOVE RANDY...that's all....signing off. 

I do too. I still love the main show. Sorry if what I said made you sad... as it was aimed at the Northern edition and NOT Randy. Randy, I could watch all day... the Northern edition of the show... no.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
50 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Yeah they did this last season too.  The episode would be billed for two hours.  The first hour will be the real SYTD.  The second hour will be the Northern edition.  Subsequent reruns will only be an hour and only show the first hour.  I don't understand why they do this.  If the Northern edition can't stand on its own without subertfuge, then they shouldn't be airing it.

The Northern edition used to be nicer overall, I thought, but from the little I've seen of this new season, it looks like they're going for awful entourages. 

Thanks for the heads up. Liked the first part on it, since it was a full episode. The second part wasn't even billed as a preview... and I think that was a part of the problem right there. I don't either. Exactly. If it's not that good, then take it off the air.

Agreed. Along with the bland workers at the store. Zoned out for a lot of it to be honest (meaning the Northern edition).

The Kleinfeld one and the Southern one keep me engaged.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

What’s the “Northern Edition”?   Northern what?   I saw that on the TV, but I don’t remember anything about this.  Where is the store located.  

It's in Canada.  Most shops pale in comparison to Kleinfelds, but I usually watch the second hour of SYTTD.  I usually FF most of the filler info and enjoy seeing the various dresses.  

CrazyMoon beat me to it!!

• Love 2

Watching the previews for the upcoming season before Northern Edition came on, I see those twins are back AGAIN for the third time! They appear desperate for the spotlight to me.  I'm not wild about the new design of the salon.  I really like the other.  It was more elegant.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, tarheel220 said:

Watching the previews for the upcoming season before Northern Edition came on, I see those twins are back AGAIN for the third time! They appear desperate for the spotlight to me.  I'm not wild about the new design of the salon.  I really like the other.  It was more elegant.

I suspect the new design was done for TV. When the owner (Ronnie?) said something about how now everyone in the salon would know when someone says yes to a dress explained it all to me.  So, now everyone gets to know everyone else's business; forget elegance or the "Kleinfeld experience." They'll be able to move folks in and out more quickly, probably, too.

And, are we going to have to be subjected to more Shay? I would have no objections to him being seen in the background only.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

The Lebanese brides Mother was awful. Randy and Diane had such a strong reaction I wonder was it worse than we saw. I was with the Mother that it was an awful dress but it was the Mothers pick and she didn't pick out an alternative or have any idea of what she would like to see her daughter in, it seemed a bit more like criticism of her daughter than the dress IMHO.I was glad her friends were so supportive and nice, everybody needs someone like them fighting their corner, was glad they stood up to the Mother for her too. The fawning over Pnina's outfit had me seriously cringing. Wish we got to see what dress she actually chose, hope she loved it and didn't just pick it to please her Mother.

Really liked the flight attendant bride but wasn't a fan of the dress she chose. I'm such a last minute person her 2 months seemed like so much time to me, I'd probably be shopping for one the week before.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ninamags said:

Not to defend the horrible woman but that was un ugly dress and it did NOT look good on the girl.  

It was an awful dress, but it seemed like their cultural/personal preference was for something totally over the top.  The daughter said she needed a big ballgown with a train and lots of bling because that is what was expected at a Lebanese wedding with 500 guests.  I think her particular figure was not well suited to the big cupcake dress, but she seemed locked into that option.  Certainly when she and her entourage were choosing dresses to try on, that is all they chose: big, sparkly ballgowns.  While the Pnina she liked was not particularly flattering, her mother could've tried to work with it and ask Pnina for some alterations to the bodice that might have been more flattering rather than sitting there laughing at her daughter.  They had a $15000 budget, there were options there besides telling the daughter it was ugly on her.

The flight attendant seemed like a really great gal and her fiancé certainly loved her and their baby was adorable but I agree with the poster upthread, the dress she chose didn't flatter her and really didn't seem to match the casual beachy vibe of her wedding at all.  Her groom wasn't wearing a jacket or tie, something a little more casual would've looked better.  She did seem to love it, though, so that's enough I guess.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, maggiegil said:

I was with the Mother that it was an awful dress but it was the Mothers pick and she didn't pick out an alternative or have any idea of what she would like to see her daughter in, it seemed a bit more like criticism of her daughter than the dress IMHO.

Honestly, my thought was that the mother thinks her daughter is too chubby for the dress. Not that I think the daughter is chubby, she just isn't as slender as her mother and I could see that awful woman being shallow like that. And if she's that awful on camera, just imagine how she must be off camera. No wonder they'd already been to 80 stores. I agree that the dress was ugly, but it seems like she was only looking for those tacky as hell dresses, so just let the poor girl get the tacky dress that she loves. 

I ended up liking the flight attendant more that I thought I would. She initially really rubbed me the wrong way when she said that she always waits til the last minute but that things still seem to work out. I was once working an event and I had to scramble the day of the event because suddenly multiple people decided to register for it that day. One of those people said to me, in a condescending tone, "It'll all work out, don't worry," and I screamed in my head, "IT'LL ALL WORK OUT BECAUSE I'M SCRAMBLING TO MAKE IT WORK!" I just hate that attitude that things just magically happen when it's generally someone working their ass off to make it happen. /rant over

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

One of those people said to me, in a condescending tone, "It'll all work out, don't worry," and I screamed in my head, "IT'LL ALL WORK OUT BECAUSE I'M SCRAMBLING TO MAKE IT WORK!" I just hate that attitude that things just magically happen when it's generally someone working their ass off to make it happen.

I loved a secretary who had a large plaque on her desk - “Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.”  Unfortunately, I don’t think the lawyers she worked for took it to heart.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

“Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.” 

Love it! I use this with my middle school students. Then we move on the lessons in planning...

• Love 5
(edited)

Did the Lebanese bride talk about her fiance at all?  Usually we get a "this is my fiance and he's the bestest" with a picture. 

But I don't recall seeing that. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5
(edited)

That Lebanese mother was a piece of shit. I hope her daughter marries and moves far away from that bitch - she was as ugly on the outside as she was on the inside. It was baffling why she thinks she’s all that, but I did love how Pnina totally snubbed her when she continue doing to fawn over Pninas outfit.

Normally I’d say I hope she will be mortified BEYOND after she sees how awful she is on the show, but she appears to be a bona fide narcissist so she won’t see it. I can only hope that her husband sees what a witch she is and he tells her to back off. 

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 5
(edited)

I was surprised there was no happy ending to the Lebanese Bride episode. Usually when the bride, her mother, or someone in the entourage is particularly difficult, by the end Randy or the consultant has miraculously pulled the perfect dress and everyone is thrilled. This time, no one left happy and the whole story just revolved around the mother being a total bitch who was impossible to deal with. Randy seemed genuinely upset with the situation. Pnina obviously didn’t like the comments about her dresses (although I had to agree they were ugly and unflattering.) I don’t understand why they aired such a negative, unresolved segment except it was good TV drama. 

Oh wait, I just thought of something! I’ll bet they’ll be back sometime this season! 

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Ninamags said:

Not to defend the horrible woman but that was un ugly dress and it did NOT look good on the girl.  

All of the Pnina dresses are too low cut imo.  Would think that the officiant at the Lebanese church would have frown on all that cleavage showing.

• Love 1

I thought it was interesting that the mother didn't comment on how the top was dangerously close to revealing the brides areolas or how much skin was showing on the sides or the back. Those would be reasonable concerns for a mother to have, but apparently excessive boobage is acceptable as long as the skirt is big. i agree that she was terrible, but I was also stunned by Pnina's all-sequin outfit. Is that from a new daywear line she'll be promoting? (/sarcasm)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I loved a secretary who had a large plaque on her desk - “Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.”  Unfortunately, I don’t think the lawyers she worked for took it to heart.

I'm a paralegal and I've seen that before.  I always want to tell attorneys that when they expect a miracle from me at the last minute, especially if I've been following up with them and they keep telling they will take care of whatever it is, until it's the last minute and they hand it off to me. 

• Love 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, gingerella said:

That Lebanese mother was a piece of shit. I hope her daughter marries and moves far away from that bitch - she was as ugly on the outside as she was on the inside. It was baffling why she thinks she’s all that, but I did love how Pnina totally snubbed her when she continue doing to fawn over Pninas outfit.

Normally I’d say I hope she will be mortified BEYOND after she sees how awful she is on the show, but she appears to be a bona fide narcissist so she won’t see it. I can only hope that her husband sees what a witch she is and he tells her to back off. 

I found the bride and her mom online. The dress she ended up with had the sparkly skirt the mom liked and she did not in the store. It did not look like anything original or exciting. 

The bride did move to Las Vegas where the groom lives and is hopefully away from her terrible mother! 

Just now, jenifaohjenny said:
Edited by jenifaohjenny
Typo
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6

I watched the episode again this morning. If the bride had been a sample size, the dress would have fit her better, but she wasn't overweight, IMO; she just wasn't born the same small size as her mother. If the dress had fit, and if the bodice had been higher, it would have been more attractive. (and if there had been less skin showing, but anyone can make those comments about just about any Pnina dress) For a Pnina, I thought the multi-layered skirt looked good on the bride for what she wanted.  I suspect that they had gone to so many stores because every time she found a dress that she could wear, her mother sabotaged her. 

• Love 2

I feel sort of terrible for saying the dress was ugly.

it was beautiful, on the mannequin.  Unfortunately, for the bride,  she didn’t have the figure to carry it off. 

Every bride was  was showing the boobies last night. While it looks good on some, people should be aware when certain styles just don’t fit.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

For $15,000 wouldn’t it have been possible to have a custom made dress?

That's what I was wondering, too. Pnina even offered to change the skirt, and I've seen episodes where she sits down and sketches something that ticks all the boxes. I was glad they didn't try to push a dress from Randy's line on her, he would have been devastated by the comments! Can you imagine if that mother pulled that same shit in 80 bridal salons? I would think she would have figured out the custom made option by around the tenth shopping trip. 

Anyway, since we didn't see the "Samantha left the salon empty handed" exit scene, I'm even more convinced they'll be back again this season and after some more drama, she will finally "Say Yes" to a dress that everyone loves. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, doodlebug said:

It was an awful dress, but it seemed like their cultural/personal preference was for something totally over the top.  The daughter said she needed a big ballgown with a train and lots of bling because that is what was expected at a Lebanese wedding with 500 guests.  I think her particular figure was not well suited to the big cupcake dress, but she seemed locked into that option.  Certainly when she and her entourage were choosing dresses to try on, that is all they chose: big, sparkly ballgowns.  While the Pnina she liked was not particularly flattering, her mother could've tried to work with it and ask Pnina for some alterations to the bodice that might have been more flattering rather than sitting there laughing at her daughter.  They had a $15000 budget, there were options there besides telling the daughter it was ugly on her.

The flight attendant seemed like a really great gal and her fiancé certainly loved her and their baby was adorable but I agree with the poster upthread, the dress she chose didn't flatter her and really didn't seem to match the casual beachy vibe of her wedding at all.  Her groom wasn't wearing a jacket or tie, something a little more casual would've looked better.  She did seem to love it, though, so that's enough I guess.

The dress that the flight attendant choose was seen last season on this show when someone also pick it out for a beach wedding.  In either case, thought the dress didn't go with the venue.  The groom certainly dressed down for the occasion.

• Love 1

I wish that video showed what that mother of hers wore!

Actually, I’m surprised that bride didn’t have a reception dress.  At the last big Lebanese wedding I knew of the bride changed into a reception dress.  It wasn’t all that different from her ceremony dress; same shape, a little less puffy.  Her mom changed dresses, too!  And they told me all the Lebanese women did that.  And they said the Italians do it, too.  I’m of Italian heritage, and that isn’t a thing that can be ascribed to ethnicity.  I didn’t know ANYONE who changed for the reception, bride or mom.  BTW, this bride’s mom owned a bridal shop, I guess multiple dresses weren’t an issue.

Stewardess Bride’s dress was okay, but why did she get sooooo decked out when her hubby was so casual.  I never understand that.  The bride drops a few thousand on a dress and the groom look like he picked up some khakis and a shirt at Old Navy!

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Marisagf said:

I wish that video showed what that mother of hers wore!

Actually, I’m surprised that bride didn’t have a reception dress.  At the last big Lebanese wedding I knew of the bride changed into a reception dress.  It wasn’t all that different from her ceremony dress; same shape, a little less puffy.  Her mom changed dresses, too!  And they told me all the Lebanese women did that.  And they said the Italians do it, too.  I’m of Italian heritage, and that isn’t a thing that can be ascribed to ethnicity.  I didn’t know ANYONE who changed for the reception, bride or mom.  BTW, this bride’s mom owned a bridal shop, I guess multiple dresses weren’t an issue.

Stewardess Bride’s dress was okay, but why did she get sooooo decked out when her hubby was so casual.  I never understand that.  The bride drops a few thousand on a dress and the groom look like he picked up some khakis and a shirt at Old Navy!

Samantha looks like she porked up before the wedding.  That was definitely a Pnina Tornei dress (same off the shoulders straps that they showed on the show).  Also, found it interesting that her home looked rather ho hum for someone that was forking over $15,000 for a dress.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

A custom designed piece is risky...what it looks like in your head and what you think it looks like in the sketch may be different than the finished pieced...And dealing with a mean-mom like that, it's probably not worth the potential heartache.  Samantha is so not a sample size so everything looks less than best. 

Randy nailed her..."What do you want for your daughter?" And that pissed off the mom....loved it.

• Love 8
On 7/22/2019 at 9:56 AM, rur said:

I suspect the new design was done for TV. When the owner (Ronnie?) said something about how now everyone in the salon would know when someone says yes to a dress explained it all to me.  So, now everyone gets to know everyone else's business; forget elegance or the "Kleinfeld experience." They'll be able to move folks in and out more quickly, probably, too.

And, are we going to have to be subjected to more Shay? I would have no objections to him being seen in the background only.

Shay's gotten a bit better, that said... he could disappear into the background and I'd be fine as well. 

• Love 3
On 7/27/2019 at 8:42 PM, maggiegil said:

The Lebanese brides Mother was awful. Randy and Diane had such a strong reaction I wonder was it worse than we saw. I was with the Mother that it was an awful dress but it was the Mothers pick and she didn't pick out an alternative or have any idea of what she would like to see her daughter in, it seemed a bit more like criticism of her daughter than the dress IMHO.I was glad her friends were so supportive and nice, everybody needs someone like them fighting their corner, was glad they stood up to the Mother for her too. The fawning over Pnina's outfit had me seriously cringing. Wish we got to see what dress she actually chose, hope she loved it and didn't just pick it to please her Mother.

Really liked the flight attendant bride but wasn't a fan of the dress she chose. I'm such a last minute person her 2 months seemed like so much time to me, I'd probably be shopping for one the week before.

Exactly. No doubt on it. It seemed very edited. And the mom was majorly censored.

• Love 3

You can see the mom at 1:28 and 2:30. 

The final dress seemed to be pretty much everything that was discussed -- little rhinestone straps, sequined off-the-shoulder straps, single-layer skirt scattered with sparkly things -- makes me wonder if they went back and had Pnina do a custom dress or if they took all the ideas somewhere else and had the dress created.  Also interesting to me: what I'll call the "modesty jacket" that she wore during the church service was not flattering at all. Why spend many thousand on a dress and then top it off with a shapeless coverup? There are other options.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 7/28/2019 at 8:51 AM, Irlandesa said:

Did the Lebanese bride talk about her fiance at all?  Usually we get a "this is my fiance and he's the bestest" with a picture. 

But I don't recall seeing that. 

She mentioned his name was Mario, but they didn’t show any photos like they usually do. 

9 minutes ago, rur said:

You can see the mom at 1:28 and 2:30. 

The final dress seemed to be pretty much everything that was discussed -- little rhinestone straps, sequined off-the-shoulder straps, single-layer skirt scattered with sparkly things -- makes me wonder if they went back and had Pnina do a custom dress or if they took all the ideas somewhere else and had the dress created.  Also interesting to me: what I'll call the "modesty jacket" that she wore during the church service was not flattering at all. Why spend many thousand on a dress and then top it off with a shapeless coverup? There are other options.

Definitely a Pnina dress, right down to the off the shoulder and should straps that they featured on the episode.

I can see why Lebanese bride had been to 80 stores if she took her mother shopping with her.  That woman was awful.

One issue I have with the custom dresses that designers draw out for the brides is that they never draw them with realistic proportions.  The waists are teeny tiny, the brides in the drawings always look tall and thin.  What it looks like on paper may not be what it looks like on a real person at all.

• Love 6
(edited)

This has been a grievance of mine for quite a while, too. Somehow the women are all long-waisted, so the "natural" waist of the dress looks good. Most women have considerably less space between their waistlines  and their bustlines, and a dress with a natural waist cuts them in half and isn't as flattering as the sketch.  In addition, the designer sketches never have women with much more than a scant B-cup, while in reality the most common US woman's cup size is a 34DD. 

Edited by rur
  • Love 2

Traditional styling for Middle Eastern weddings....go big or go home. The gown could have used more support (like a higher back for better boning). It was the top of the dress the mom didn't like with a different skirt...Looks like the mom is wearing Pnina as well...I hope Pnina jacked up the price for the mom's gown...that mom was awful. The modesty shrug was too big/boxy in style...essential in the conservative church, so could/should have been done better.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/28/2019 at 7:53 PM, Marisagf said:

I have a cousin in rural Missouri who does wedding pictures, she occasionally posts some on FB, that seems to be a thing, the bride goes all out, gets the princess dress of her dreams, the groom, male attendants wear blue jeans, plaid shirts, maybe a white shirt and vest on the groom, maybe not, no ties, no tuxes, just not done. It always seems incongruous to me.

I haven't watched this show in quite a while, guess I need to check in now and then.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, readheaded said:

Dorothy looks great this season!  Is it just that she changed her hair and makeup and/or do you think she's had work done?

Thought the same thing.  I think they had a stylist work with her.

• Love 2

I felt like crying when they asked Stephanie if she still loved the dress and she softly said no. That mother was an absolute C-U-Next Tuesday, and I don't use that word lightly. What a horrible, horrible person.

• Love 7

My heart broke for Randy when he said, "I'd love to have a child. Who treats their child like that?" (Paraphrasing from memory. He said it quietly to Dianne when he walked off and they were in the hall) 

Randy you are right and I think you'd be a terrific parent.

I've been to several Christian Lebanese weddings and almost all of them had gowns the size of a NYC studio apartment. The exception was an older couple who were widower/widow and had a very elegant black tie type wedding hosted by the bride's eldest son.  I got the sense that the weddings and marriages were more about showing off the family's wealth and connections to the new in laws.

• Love 10

Loved the bride that went with the blush Lazaro. I love it when brides know their mind and stick to their vision without being insulting to their entourage. I loved the simplicity of the design of the dress, with the long train and the sparkle fabric, it was enough to be special but not OTT or ridiculous.

The 12k Pnina was not worth the money IMHO, the bride had a great figure and looked lovely in so many of the other dresses.

The styling absolutely ruined the Hayley Paige brides dress, it was already a very busy top and then you add a rose and shard (icicles?) crown and then weird random braids with blue through them. Wasn't that big a fan of the custom dress anyway, the bright white skirt with the tan/nude top, looked like two different dresses put together without proper attention to how they would work. I liked Hayleys runway show and she seems very sweet.

Edit: Also while watching the show, I was wondering about these internships all the new employees seem to do and if they were paid, Found an indiegogo from a few years ago raising money so someone could take the internship they've been offered at kleinfeld as its completely unpaid https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/marybeth-s-dream-internship#/

Edited by maggiegil
  • Love 5