Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I have to say that I was teary-eyed watching the bride with the bionic arm walk down the aisle, but I just hated the stupid raggedy bangs on the groom.

Edited by Koalagirl
Fixed stupid misspelling.
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I just watched the latest episode.  I love Randy's dress on Rebekah (bionic bride.)  What a happy story for her.  I'm glad that we got to see the fitted dress on her.  She looked stunning and classy.  

I felt bad for the other bride with the entourage that just couldn't be happy for her in any dress.  I hope she eventually found something SHE loved.  

Thinking alot of jealousy going on with those two older unmarried members of her entourage.  And those faces that they made were hideous.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I have to say that I was teary-eyed watching the bride with the bionic arm walk down the aisle, but I just hated the stupid raggedy bangs on the groom.

Yes! All I could think was he couldn't be bothered to get a hair cut for his wedding? 

36 minutes ago, cameron said:

Thinking alot of jealousy going on with those two older unmarried members of her entourage.  And those faces that they made were hideous.

Those sisters were just nasty. I was expecting to not like the bride when she kept going on about being a princess and extra, but she was a very lovely woman. With sisters like her's no wonder she was always looking to be extra. I'm picturing the bride coming home with straight As and her C level sisters asking why it wasn't an A+. It was super telling when the consultant asked why she brought them and she said because they're her sisters. Oh honey, just because they are family doesn't mean you have to like them or bow to their every whim. And what the hell was wrong with their mother who just sat there letting it happen? I hope the bride went home, told them all to fuck off, and then took her future mother in law and her entire husband's family shopping with her. 

• Love 11

I watched some last night before turning to SNL so they were probably reruns. I was curious about the poly/Catholic threesome. I still can't wrap my head around that. 

I saw Maggie & Juan who got married under water & surprisingly that turned out well. She was a delight.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Yes! All I could think was he couldn't be bothered to get a hair cut for his wedding? 

Those sisters were just nasty. I was expecting to not like the bride when she kept going on about being a princess and extra, but she was a very lovely woman. With sisters like her's no wonder she was always looking to be extra. I'm picturing the bride coming home with straight As and her C level sisters asking why it wasn't an A+. It was super telling when the consultant asked why she brought them and she said because they're her sisters. Oh honey, just because they are family doesn't mean you have to like them or bow to their every whim. And what the hell was wrong with their mother who just sat there letting it happen? I hope the bride went home, told them all to fuck off, and then took her future mother in law and her entire husband's family shopping with her. 

What bothers me is that no matter how much of a hard time she says she's going to give them when it's their turn, it won't matter.  She could say "I hate that dress" and they'll look at her and so "Oh well. I love it" and buy it anyway.  They won't care what she thinks.

• Love 3

That woman had a bad entourage and it was sad.  Too many people in entourages don't realize that they're only supposed to really give feedback if something looks weird.  Like sometimes, I think some of these dresses look like they smush the boobs.  I'd say that.  But a style that looks different than what you'd choose but still looks good is not the dress that you should poo poo. 

I preferred the first Randy dress for the bionic bride but the one she chose was nice too.  I'm surprised, given how many brides apparently hate blush, how many dresses come in it.  There was a dress in the Northern edition that they've unceremoniously added to all recordings of the original that had a skirt that came in blush.  I thought it really highlighted the white lace that was over it but no---bride wanted all white.

• Love 3
On 3/3/2019 at 1:58 AM, magemaud said:

If you go to FB and enter “Angelica JJ Pagano” you should be able to view the info. There is a wedding photo where someone is standing in front of her, but she’s leaning over and spilling out of her strapless dress which doesn’t cover her “chubby arms.” She also appeared in what looks to me to be a really cheesy movie, “Jersey Shore Massacre.” She also poses for some provocative photos which strikes me as funny since she was dressed rather modestly on the episode. In fact, when my husband came in the room he asked why she was wearing a parochial school uniform. I told him she must be going for the male fantasy "naughty Catholic school girl look." 

Thanks, that worked!  What a bizarre situation.

• Love 1

I wonder why Kleinfelds changed the dress code for consultants, the black they all (bar Randy) used to wear contrasted so well against the white bridal dresses and they all looked put together and chic. They also seem to all be dressing much more casually. I thought Antonellas white lacy top with leather leggings in the most recent ep was a lovely outfit on her but not right for Kleinfelds

randy1.jpg

• Love 6

The bionic bride was gorgeous!  I was happy for her but seriously, in spite of her past hardships, she's going to have a wonderful life.  She's beautiful, talented and smart and now marrying a Dr.  It was pretty hard for me to feel bad for her despite being born sans a forearm.  The shows about brides who endure hardship are ok, but mostly meh for me.  I work in a field where I see people dying of cancer, etc., and so I guess I'm jaded.  What I'm trying to say is I wish they'd lay off the "sad, hard life" kind of stories, we get it, we know some people have hard lives.  I'd like to just watch brides pick a dress.  I don't need sob stories.  

• Love 7

What drives me crazy is when they focus on the fact that the dress doesn't fit...of course it doesn't.  Samples come in big and small...so unless you're  a sample size, it's not going to fit!  That's why they have clips, and pieces of fabric and every other thing they do so that you can get an idea of what it will look like.  They're not going to order you a dress in that size!!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, MartyQui said:

What drives me crazy is when they focus on the fact that the dress doesn't fit...of course it doesn't.  Samples come in big and small...so unless you're  a sample size, it's not going to fit!  That's why they have clips, and pieces of fabric and every other thing they do so that you can get an idea of what it will look like.  They're not going to order you a dress in that size!!

I know, I loath when people say how it does not fit!  They do it at the first fitting as well, standing there looking forlorn about the ill fitting dress, do they not realize that they are there for the fitting?!!! Ugh.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

What's been driving me crazy lately is the head shot of almost every bride saying, after trying on two dresses, "I'm afraid I'm not going to find my dress." Not only does the audience know you probably will find it, you've only tried on two dresses!

• Love 6

Exactly, it's like trying on jeans, you sure aren't going to find the perfect ones first time out, unless you buy the same brand over and over again like moi! That was a pretty good episode.  I just love that Randy! 

• Love 2

Say Yes to the Dress is by far my favorite show, but maybe I'm getting burned out?  I'm just irritated by the sob stories.  I just want to see more dresses!!! LOL  

• Love 5
On 3/2/2019 at 11:58 PM, magemaud said:

If you go to FB and enter “Angelica JJ Pagano” you should be able to view the info. There is a wedding photo where someone is standing in front of her, but she’s leaning over and spilling out of her strapless dress which doesn’t cover her “chubby arms.” She also appeared in what looks to me to be a really cheesy movie, “Jersey Shore Massacre.” She also poses for some provocative photos which strikes me as funny since she was dressed rather modestly on the episode. In fact, when my husband came in the room he asked why she was wearing a parochial school uniform. I told him she must be going for the male fantasy "naughty Catholic school girl look." 

I'll have you know that a friend of my daughter is in "Jersey Shore Shark Attack" - the sequel to "Jersey Shore Massacre"!  It puts the extra cheese into cheesy!

I think it's too bad that this has turned into the Randy show.  He's fine, but the amount of time that they spend pushing his line has turned the show into an infomercial.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Christine said:

Am I the only person to have actually watched "Say Yes to the Nest" with Cami, her new husband, and that mother?

Nope. I watched it, too, and I enjoyed it. But I don't hate Cami like a lot of posters do (I actually preferred her in the black wedding gown).  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love 1
On 6/26/2018 at 11:59 AM, slasherboy said:

Although I recently saw an episode where 2 little dogs attended and sat politely on the laps of their peeps, all decked out to the nines.  Very cute.

I saw that.  Very cute indeed.  There was another dog who was ..... wait for it ..... going to ride on the bride's train so it had to be long enough and just right.  I would have bought a gift and absolutely attended that wedding.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

It's ruching (ˈrü-shiŋ), not rouging (ˈrüzh-iŋ)!

Amen!  And it sequins, not sequence!  I had a co-worker who referred to sequins on a dress as sequence.  That drove me nuts!

As for tonight's episode, I am in awe of bride Emily and her selflessness towards helping others.  Watching her help her husband stand up out of his wheelchair and then proceed to walk down the aisle was one of the most touching things I've ever seen.  What a truly beautiful soul she is. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 14

Seeing that picture of Randy from 1993 as a student at FIT with the long hair was everything.

Tanya was all over the place. She wanted Albany and Randy to ‘know her’ and find her her perfect dress but didn’t like anything they showed her. Then wanted her entourage to find her dress and then didn’t like anything they picked out. Go through the racks yourself and find your own dress then. At least she did find her dress.

I had tears in my eyes watching the other bride walk down the aisle with her groom who had the spinal injury. Loved that couple.

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Straycat80 said:

Tanya was all over the place. She wanted Albany and Randy to ‘know her’ and find her her perfect dress but didn’t like anything they showed her.

She was nice enough, but I'm sure she's one of those people the consultants would label as a nightmare appointment.  I wonder how long the appointments are for the non-filming brides.  Are they 2 hour appointments?  I guess if you don't find one, then you're SOL?  I assume that they can't take forever with each appointment.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

She was nice enough, but I'm sure she's one of those people the consultants would label as a nightmare appointment.  I wonder how long the appointments are for the non-filming brides.  Are they 2 hour appointments?  I guess if you don't find one, then you're SOL?  I assume that they can't take forever with each appointment.  

I always wonder how long the appointments last too. They sometimes try on so many dresses. Maybe for the filming brides they take a longer time because they have to do the TH interviews with the bride plus her entourage people too. 

2 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Tanya was all over the place. She wanted Albany and Randy to ‘know her’ and find her her perfect dress but didn’t like anything they showed her. Then wanted her entourage to find her dress and then didn’t like anything they picked out. Go through the racks yourself and find your own dress then. At least she did find her dress.

I did find her annoying until I saw which dress she picked out.  The first dress she chose fit her description perfectly so I wasn't sure what her issue with it was.  I understood Randy and the consultant's frustration that she couldn't say what about it made it too casual.  But the dress she chose, which I LOVED by the way, did fit her original description perfectly.

So her problem was that she couldn't articulate what was wrong with the first dress.  And their problem was moving away from that original description. 

• Love 3

Maybe I was tired, but I thought most of the dresses that Tanya tried on, or dismissed outright, looked the same (except the gown her friend wanted her to try on).  Lacy top with illusion fabric and a flowing skirt.

I loved the the red dress in the design school classroom.  I wonder what it looked like close up because on tv it looked beautiful.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I always wonder how long the appointments last too. They sometimes try on so many dresses. Maybe for the filming brides they take a longer time because they have to do the TH interviews with the bride plus her entourage people too. 

I have googled this before and apparently Atlanta appointments take 8 hours to film. I assume NY ones have to be similar

What's it really like to be in front of the Say Yes to the Dress cameras? In 2013, Courtney Wright went with her engaged friend to choose dresses for her bridesmaids (including Wright), and ended up in an episode of Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids, filmed at Bridals by Lori in Atlanta, Georgia, where Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta also takes place.

Wright described her experience of filming the show in an interview for 417 Bride in 2013. The group tried on four dresses (but didn't purchase any of them), and although an episode is 30 minutes long, recording took eight hours. Why so long? Each dress took an hour to discuss and film, followed by post interviews. "I wasn't expecting all the questions," said Wright. "I thought it was just like, "Alright, go."

The questions exist for a reason, of course, it's how the producers create a show worth watching. Wright said, "They want you to act as natural as possible, but you can tell that they want to stir up some drama. If someone says something that could potentially cause a disagreement, the director asks you questions about it."

https://www.thelist.com/18636/untold-truth-say-yes-dress/?utm_campaign=clip

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

In real life, Kleinfeld's schedules appointments for brides to last 90 minutes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I wish they would have shown footage of Tanya's wedding as well. That Hollywood/Beverly Hills locale looked so cool. I liked her dress and most of the dresses that she tried on. Very romantic and flowy. There was one with a somewhat larger skirt that looked like it had big pleats in the front ... the skirt looked regal to me and was gorgeous. I appreciated seeing some dresses that are outside the norm of what we usually see.

I think Randy is very smart to be strategic with trying on the dresses. Of course most people will be skeptical about picking the 1st dress, so it is smart to save a favorite for the 2nd or 3rd try-on. I'd also be a little more forceful on saying "Just try it on! You can't tell how it will look from the hanger." This is of course if the bride is OK with the lace, beading, etc. and doesn't hate the dress on the hanger.

• Love 1
On 3/10/2019 at 9:24 AM, Shannon L. said:

loved the the red dress in the design school classroom.  I wonder what it looked like close up because on tv it looked beautiful. 

I actually gasped when I saw that. It was gorgeous as is but I could see it in an ivory color way as a bridal gown.

Just stunning. Hope the student creator designer continues to design such lovely pieces.

• Love 2

Am I wrong in thinking we only saw the alterations room once this season (the 1st or 2nd episode)? I think its such an interesting part of it especially when people get custom dresses and the alterations is the first time they see it (also I love Vera). It really is when the whole thing comes together and probably when the stakes are highest.

They also seem to have done away with the super last minute brides which were really interesting and I always found the sample sales they did in the past super interesting, it was a lot of dresses on a lot of different brides and also not the same dresses (cough Pnina monstrosities cough) we usually see.

Does anyone else miss stuff from the good old say yes to the dress days?

• Love 6

Just watched the first full episode of Say Yes to the Dress Lancashire (sp?) on Youtube and Gok Wan definitely gives Randy a fun for his money. He is very charming and wonderful with the brides!

• Love 3

just saw an article about Jenna and VAL (DWTS) this morning.  She wore a turtle neck dress!  Reminded me of that bride who was looking for a turtle neck dress in an earlier episode.  It was a Vera Wang and was lovely.  The portion from just above her breasts up through the turtle neck was sheer, as were the long sleeves.  When I first heard turtleneck I thought "ugh" but it was so lightweight and sheer it was lovely.  Modest too, unlike most of the dresses we see on this show.  There was no mention in the article when their episode would be airing.  Maybe they were waiting until after the wedding?

• Love 1

Ran across a new show on Hulu called the Posh Frock Shop.

Set in London at designer Ian Stuart's boutique, it features wedding and other special occasion gowns. There's the expected range of entourage snipers, but it's nice to see other types of dresses and a range of customer ages. 25 half hour episodes.

• Love 4
On 4/24/2019 at 11:59 AM, 2727 said:

Ran across a new show on Hulu called the Posh Frock Shop.

<snip>

Thanks so much for the link!

I watched several episodes yesterday, and plan to finish up the season today and tomorrow.

I especially enjoyed E5 with the television presenter who uses a wheelchair for mobility needing a dress for a red carpet event, as I also use a wheelchair for mobility and am faced with many of the same issues she mentioned in her TH. 

I do wish they had explained how she had gotten into the shop, though, with all those steps at the entrance. One of my first thoughts when watching E1 was "Another place that's not wheelchair accessible. Why do so many bridal/formal wear boutiques think people with disabilities don't get married/attend formal events like able bodied folks do?"

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/6/2014 at 11:13 PM, DHDancer said:

5.  UMPEER??????  EMPIRE guys, EMPIRE.  Umpeer is like saying Tarjay -- affectation only.  

Okay...I realize your post is five years old, but...

I studied apparel design at the Rhode Island School of Design, and in terms of apparel, empire (adj), was always pronounced ˈäm-ˌpir.

According to Merriam Webster (link above), that is the correct pronunciation, although "empire"(ˈem-ˌpī(-ə)r) is also acceptable.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 1
On 4/14/2019 at 10:52 AM, abbey said:

just saw an article about Jenna and VAL (DWTS) this morning.  She wore a turtle neck dress!  Reminded me of that bride who was looking for a turtle neck dress in an earlier episode

I apologize for the *triple* posts; apparently I have (temporarily) forgotten how to PT!

High neck/mock turtleneck bridal gowns are on trend for 2020:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.whowhatwear.com/amp/bridal-week-fashion-trends

I'll shut up now...

On 2/17/2019 at 1:41 AM, Irlandesa said:

So much Pnina shade in tonight's episode.  There was the new Male consultant who said the 21000 dollar dress one of his fellow consultants tried on wasn't good 'for anybody.'  And then Kimi,  the kid who met Randy, threw down some "cover up" type judgment. 🙂

I think Pnina may have pissed some folks off.  I don't know when this article was written, but it mentions that she tried to badmouth a dress that belonged to another designer when the client liked the other dress better.  The link is here.  Scroll down to where it says "Trunk shows can be good or bad."

On 3/12/2019 at 2:39 PM, maggiegil said:

Does anyone else miss stuff from the good old say yes to the dress days?

Yep.  I'm rewatching season one right now, and they are often more than three brides per show.  In addition, the consultants are very well versed (except for Claudia, she's a delusional moron), and there are wedding photos from every bride that is shown, even if it is for a couple of minutes.  The family members are thoughtful with their criticisms and no one really seems out to be an ass on purpose.  There is also no one asking "Are you saying yes to this dress?"  I do miss Randy though.  

And, I caught a glimpse of 1st season Pnina.  Wow.  She looks younger, less greasy, and she can actually move her face.  I thought she looked familiar and wasn't sure until I heard her voice.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I did like the dress that Dancing with the Stars chose as her reception dress.  

I go back and forth on how I felt about the cosplay/Mick Foley bride.  I tend to get annoyed at the brides who think they’re the most unique thing ever (and the eyelashes and contact were OtT for me...I’d like to see what she actually looks like), but the dress did seem to be a really good ‘fit’ for her, in multiple ways.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Is it bad that I kind of zoned out on the first ep (meaning the ep I watched, the Northern edition)? All of these new people... and yet... I wasn't all that interested. It was ok, but just that.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
to clarify a bit more - I love the main one, just not the Northern Edition
12 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I was ready to hate the Mick Foley bride but she turned out to be a sweetheart and her groom was so nice.

I thought that the dress looked really good on her once it was altered.  I liked that she had the train cut off and used it for the veil.  A big poofy dress can overpower us short ladies! 

I wonder if part of the reason for the re-design in Kleinfelds was for us viewers too.  We're always commenting on how we enjoy seeing the background activity going on and how we often pause to see someone else's dress.  It makes sense from an advertising standpoint to get as many dresses on camera that they can.

I also wonder why Shay is no longer a featured consultant.  Did he want out of the spotlight?  I see that he's on an upcoming episode.  Maybe he didn't like the spotlight.  Any thoughts? 

10 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I also wonder why Shay is no longer a featured consultant.  Did he want out of the spotlight?  I see that he's on an upcoming episode.  Maybe he didn't like the spotlight.  Any thoughts? 

Viewer backlash?  Everybody hated him.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Shay did have a rough start...and nobody puts Randy in a corner! However, there are so many newer consultants getting some air time...Zoey was a featured bride and is now a featured consultant. Shay's personality is too big to be out of the spotlight for long. 

I did like Heather's gown so much...it fit her quirky personality while being timeless...

• Love 1