Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The thing about her is that she does some interesting dresses, but we don't see them because they don't look as good in the dressing room as those ren faire laceup wenchwear things they promote on this show. So now her niche is pretty much the drawing room in the world's cleanest whorehouse. I always wonder how she feels about that.

• Love 1

Martha Stewart - what a waste of air and space. Could she be more boring? Does her face even move? And why should the bride give a crap about what she thinks?

This episode was nothing more than a 30-minute commercial for Stewart's new book. I was disgusted.

And I hate the 'go to the internet and vote' thing they're doing. Just show us the pretty dresses, dammit!

• Love 5
Martha doesn't much bother to hide her disdain, does she.

Well, it's kind of hard to tell.  She's been so botoxed that here face (including her lips) barely move.  Here expression never changes and she has always had that monotonous voice.  Even w hen she said that the liked the dress (which she clearly didn't) her tone never changed.

That designer did make herself three unique dresses.  Not the usual boring strapless, mermaid, exploding bottom crap.

• Love 4

Martha is from a different time. When she came up, Martha Kostyra the polish girl from an unfashionable part of Jersey was at a significant disadvantage, both socially and professionally, so she turned herself into Martha Stewart, imperturbable New England WASP goddess. Which, again, sounds silly, but I have an entire italian family who moved to the suburbs and didn't stop pretending to be from some more acceptable corner of Europe until Martha made it fashionable to have a heritage, and none of their kids learned to knit, crochet, sew, or cook, or garden, even though my nonna was a genius at all those things.

So, yeah, Martha's reportedly quite the asshole, but she did pioneer the people without a ton of money deserve to have nice stuff movement, and she did a lot to revive useful crafts, so I'm OK with her being a little hard to rouse. She is pushing 70.

FWIW, of course.

• Love 4
(edited)

So, yeah, Martha's reportedly quite the asshole, but she did pioneer the people without a ton of money deserve to have nice stuff movement, and she did a lot to revive useful crafts, so I'm OK with her being a little hard to rouse. She is pushing 70.

Martha will be 75 in August.

She was bored out of her mind at Kleinfelds. Did that overly enthusiastic (I felt sorry for her) sales associate say she BOUGHT her book for her to sign? Geez. You'd think she would've brought a few to give away.

She sounds exactly like a Kardashian when she talks....maybe high-end Botox immobilizes your throat or something. And she's still pissed because her daughter wore a suit to her own wedding. heehee

Edited by drafan
  • Love 2

When the mother of the bride told her that she was an art teacher and likes crafts too, the look Martha Stewart gave her was so awful and her response was something like "oh, really" as if to say your type of crafts don't begin to match mine.  I also thought her appearance was a waste of time, and did not think she would have chosen that dress for the bride.  At least we didn't see any stripper fairy gowns or super entitled brides - just insecure brides.

• Love 6

If this was supposed to be the flashy opening to the season, it was a epic fail.

The only person of interest was Vera.  Love here big "no" to the proposed alteration.  So sick of needy, whiny brides acting like a few yards of cloth are the most important thing in their entire lives.  Grow up already.

• Love 7

So sick of needy, whiny brides acting like a few yards of cloth are the most important thing in their entire lives.  Grow up already.

THIS.

So one of the themes for the first episode was brides who already bought a dress but are so insecure and indecisive they feel it's appropriate to spend more money on a second dress because this will make everything okay? I commented to my husband as I was watching this today that if you are too immature and indecisive to make up your damn mind and pick out a wedding dress, you are too immature to get married.

• Love 7

Watching right now, and wow not at all scripted (eye roll).  This is the show where everyone has a strict budget, both said no more than 2k.  The one that had me wanting to reach through the tv and shake her, she tried on a 10k designer dress on her first visit.  It was some black and white striped dress.  She had to have something oh so unique, chic, and designer, but could only spend 2k max.  She first tried on the 10k dress again - why?  Why would you even try on something 5 times your max budget?  Maybe she thought the show would comp it for her?  Dream on.  Anyhow she's skinny and could wear horizontal stripes - I kept thinking chic prisoner or zebra, it did not look like a wedding gown, which I guess is what made it unique to her.  If she didn't want a bridal gown, then go to any store and pick out some formal dress.  So the consultant goes through similar shapes within her budget (all white or ivory).   Alas, nothing was better than that 10k dress.  Consultant goes into the sample sale section and whattya know - she finds a unique dress that was 16k, now for the low, low price of $999.  Of course, bride loves it.  I think all the consultant had to do with the other ones she tried was to say this is the very last one ever made or the last we have in stock, and it would've been a hit.  Girl just had to have something different.  Her family loved it, but I think sometimes the family says yeah we love it because they're so tired of shopping for a damned dress.

Of course this show is all about the dress, but so many seem too focused on the dress and not the actual commitment they are making.  I'd be happy to have a nice man who wanted to commit to me, I don't think I'd mind if it meant I'd wear a bargain rack dress or a borrowed dress.  Yeah you want to look nice, have a nice ceremony, but that's not the big thing here.  Too many seem to get married to have the wedding and party. 

• Love 10

hoosier80, I did like her dress though, but if you are on a budget, why on Earth would you go to Kleinfeld? And the episode before with the famous person that I had no idea who it was, of course picked up ridiculous Pnina trashy gown with ridiculous seams down the front. I guess I am totally hate watching the show from now on

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 3

Jacksgirl, that Pnina gown was not attractive.  All that visible boning made it very unattractive to me.  It's like the under structure of the garment is showing and they forgot to cover it.  It was also so tight (and she commented she wanted it tighter) that she could barely walk in it.  I have visions of her being put on a hover board to float down the aisle because she won't be able to take a step in that dress.  i wouldn't pay $600 for that dress, much less $6,600 for it and I bet Pnina charges for those custom alterations and then you have to pay for a veil on top of that.  She was probably looking at closer to $10,000.

• Love 3

How about the guy who wanted his bride's boobs exposed so his buddies would fist bump each other in a "hell, yeah!" kind of way? I was so embarrassed for the dad. She was falling out of the first dress she tried on and the guy wanted it lower! Why wear a dress at all...just trot her out there topless.

• Love 6

How about the guy who wanted his bride's boobs exposed so his buddies would fist bump each other in a "hell, yeah!" kind of way? I was so embarrassed for the dad. She was falling out of the first dress she tried on and the guy wanted it lower! Why wear a dress at all...just trot her out there topless.

Don't forget her acknowledgment that we allllllll want him, because he's everyone's perfect guy.

• Love 5

So is this Hayley Paige going to be Pnina's competition? (Sorry, I've never heard of her, but it's been 6 years since I was wedding dress shopping with my daughter.) In her TH's, I was totally distracted by her roots and stringy Flower Child hairstyle so I was glad to see that had been fixed for her own wedding. 

• Love 1

I guess I am totally hate watching the show from now on

I let out a groan when Pnina showed up on-screen. My husband said, "Why do you watch this show?" Of COURSE she's going to save the celebrity bride! She's all about the saving. And "designing" a dress I wouldn't wear to a dogfight, let alone my wedding.

We were wondering if SYTTD has some interesting goals this season -- featuring Millennial-age brides looking for gowns under $2K struck me as somewhat odd, especially when Kleinfeld's employees have repeatedly made the point on-air that there's not much to be had at at the shop for under $2,000. It'll be interesting to see what their next emphasis might be.

The $16K dress marked down to $999: Producer's plant.

• Love 4

Ok, I'll say it...do I have a heart of stone or what? The episode with Alicia the war veteran did nothing for me. I don't doubt she has a spinal cord injury, although she showed no sign of that diagnosis and moved around just fine, or that she has PTSD, which is also a real disability, but I never connected with her and never connected with Randy, which is rare for me because I love Randy. And no pics of her wedding or reception? Strange. Tell me if I missed something, PTV'ers.

Edited to add: I'm not suggesting she wasn't deserving of the special treatment or that she was not injured, but I just didn't get into her.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2

I was just totally distracted by Alicia's non-stop ugly crying! And the shallow skanky orange twins were back AGAIN because the one was having a two year vow renewal because she didn't like the way she looked in her gown the first time? Their voices got on my last nerve...

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 4

I was just totally distracted by Alicia's non-stop ugly crying! And the shallow skanky orange twins were back AGAIN because the one was having a two year vow renewal because she didn't like the way she looked in her gown the first time? Their voices got on my last nerve...

Wait, that was lawyer Barbie who had the lining taken out, yes? Didn't she do a one-year renewal last year?

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Oh, dear!!!

I hate to be disagreeable, especially with folks whose comments I normally "like," but here it goes-----

I cried like a baby watching the war veteran get treated to her special day! She looked gorgeous in everything she tried on, but the final selection was amazing & so regal! The back looked like a work of art! My jaw literally dropped. It pulled a bit at the hips when they removed the poufy skirt overlay, but I'm sure they will fix that during the fitting. I thought this dress was truly memorable & special.

I was glad that she had (at least physically) healed from her spinal injury & concussion, so I could just enjoy the pretty.

I was also proud of Kleinfeld's for going all out for her---shoes, jewelry, limo & a night at a fancy hotel with her family! They looked so cute all snuggled up in their robes toasting a great day....

Did anyone catch the prices of the dress, jewels, etc.?

I also missed the name of the designer---please, God, tell me it wasn't a Pnina!

• Love 5

Wait, that was lawyer Barbie who had the lining taken out, yes? Didn't she do a one-year renewal last year?

Yes, same Illegally Blonde twins back again. I believe she was on the second time when she chose her vow renewal dress and last night was the follow up downstairs fitting of the renewal dress followed by clips of the ceremony. I hope we're finally done with them, oh wait, is the other twin married? 

• Love 1

I know they're both relatively young, but each time they show up, they look more plastic than the time before. What are they doing to themselves? 

• Love 3

Lawyer Barbie hated the way she looked on her wedding day and lost 55 pounds!!!!???? I did not see any pics that looked like she needed to lose any weight. It was more like, please eat a cheeseburger.

I was disappointed that the wedding they showed was the vow renewal of the blonde twin.  I would rather have seen the 30 year vow renewal bride in the polka dot dress.  I loved that dress and it was so perfect for her age and beach venue. 

• Love 3

So is the show running out of applicants requiring reruns of some of the most disgusting TV Star Wannabes?  These two plastic Barbies are the last people on earth I ever want to see again.  

• Love 5

She needed a vow renewal after two years of marriage because she did not like the way she looked in her dress originally. Good grief. I had managed to block out the memory of these shallow plastic overtanned unattractive idiots but last night brought it all back. At least you can't say her husband does not know what he bought. Wow, I really hate these two and their voices alone make me stabby. Awful inside and out.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 3

She needed a vow renewal after two years of marriage because she did not like the way she looked in her dress originally. Good grief. I had managed to block out the memory of these shallow plastic overtanned unattractive idiots but last night brought it all back. At least you can't say her husband does not know what he bought. Wow, I really hate these two and their voices alone make me stabby. Awful inside and out.

And that bleached out hair, heavy make up and spray tan make her look sooooo much older. At least I hope it's spray tan and she hasn't actually cooked herself to that shade. But, yes, me stabby, too!!

Edited to add...I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2

Did anyone else notice how the sister was getting into the act at the wedding with the 3 of them dancing together?  During the portion of the program when they were remembering the dress selection episode, I got confused as to who was getting married.    

I just had a Phoebe from Friends shriek when I clicked on the body-building link:  "My eyes, my eyes!!!!"

I deleted the episode as soon as they cut to the wedding, because I have no interest in seeing any more of the barbie twins.

A bride whose episode is supposed to be aired tomorrow files injunction to stop TLC from airing the episode before her May 14 wedding. She says SYTTD pinky promised to not air it before the wedding so as not to spoil the reveal of her dress. Really? I seriously doubt the groom will be watching SYTTD. These brides are such special snowflakes. And what a waste of the court system! Here's the link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3508138/Devastated-bride-set-star-Say-Yes-Dress-files-injunction-against-TLC-stop-network-airing-episode-gown-nuptials-place.html

A bride whose episode is supposed to be aired tomorrow files injunction to stop TLC from airing the episode before her May 14 wedding.

She's going to court to (try to) get an order to stop the show from airing. This is so great. What are the chances the fiancee would see the dress unless someone deliberately and maliciously showed it to him? Now that she's made it a news story, it seems much more likely that he'd see it in a news feed somewhere. Way to go, lady. But I guess if you have $20k to spend on a dress, you have plenty of money to throw around on lawyers.

I think this special snowflake bride needs a healthy dose of perspective. Life - and the marriage - will go on, whether he sees the dress or not.

• Love 2

But, but....her wedding is.the.most.special.wedding.ever! The world is on the edge of its seat, breathlessly awaiting to see what she will be wearing! Never mind that the groom is a hockey player and is probably interested in various sports. He will not be watching March Madness tomorrow night. Oh no, he'll be tuned into SYTTD with his buddies so they can then talk about the dress later as they paint each other's nails. She's an attention whore.

On another note, the dog is adorable!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 1

Right. She just happened to be in the neighborhood, across the 3000-mile-wide country from where she lives, at the store where they film the reality show shopping for a dress to wear when she marries her fiancé the minor celebrity, and Randy tackled her as she came through the door...

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

Thanks, carolinagirl! Bridezilla, indeed! Can hardly wait to critique everything she does tomorrow night!

ETA: the show summary on my DVR says she wants to look like Beyoncé on her big day and wants a dress with tons of sparkle. Yep, this will be good.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 1
The judge didn't buy it and reprimanded Godino for waiting until the last moment because she knew about the air date since mid-February. One last blow ... when the judge asked if Godino could just ask her fiance to not watch the episode, Godino's attorney replied, "she could."

So...with a choice between asking her fiancee not to watch (and asking everyone else to help keep the secret) vs going to court, she chose to hire a lawyer. There should be a penalty for wasting the court's time like this.

• Love 3

Thanks, carolinagirl! Bridezilla, indeed! Can hardly wait to critique everything she does tomorrow night!

ETA: the show summary on my DVR says she wants to look like Beyoncé on her big day and wants a dress with tons of sparkle. Yep, this will be good.

LOL!  I'll be watching for sure, too. 

Hey Skanks: wearing an undergarment on your wedding day is nasty! It's insulting to your guests. Your guests don't want to see you half naked (90% naked) in Church nor at the reception. Going down the aisle in lingerie with no front, no back and no side is disgusting. Get over yourselves. I had to come in here in post this after watching Miss You Buy Em You Show Em" Her poor poor poor grandmother. This bitch looked like a total idiot wearing fucking underwear and expecting her nonna to like it....

oh I see she stars on Say Yes to Address- he is gay and your voice is so annoying that I can't watch. Her hair is disgusting, it's so so so fake I can't wait until that style of gluing on hair as long as you can possibly make it. it doesnt grow that way in nature. I find these people to be despicable and I have no interest in watching their phony life unfold. 

Edited by operalover
  • Love 2

Skanks is right. I am so live and let live, but every dress we saw tonight was lingerie. Yes, the women were all slim with ginormous breasts, but tacky is not sexy, it's tacky, trashy and the designers are laughing their asses all the way to the bank.

• Love 3

Re the bride who sued to stop the show from being aired, I wasn't impressed with her dress.  It certainly looked better with the tuille over skirt, but the dress itself did not look like a wedding dress.  To each her own, but all of the brides tonight lacked style taste INHO.  What are these women thinking?  My favorite person on the entire show was the grandmother of the "You Buy 'em..." bride.   

• Love 3

So...with a choice between asking her fiancee not to watch (and asking everyone else to help keep the secret) vs going to court, she chose to hire a lawyer. There should be a penalty for wasting the court's time like this.

And the poor guy she is marrying should run as fast as he can . She's obviously crazy .

Hey, athletes have publicists too. I doubt she's be doing this quite so publicly (because I very much doubt the press got the story from a stringer at the courthouse) before the wedding if he wasn't on board.

I also wonder why someone who had the money for a destination wedding and a $40k dress and a frivolous lawsuit didn't have a lawyer review her contract with the show, and why the show would have verbally agreed to hold an episode all those months, but not that much, really.

Edited by Julia