Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Perhaps the sales team steers them away from strapless off camera, but I've never seen it.  I don't understand why the bride doesn't see that she looks like she's being squeezed like a sausage, but apparently, it doesn't phase them.  

• Love 2

They have all been brainwashed by the bridal magazines and bridal shows that strapless mermaid is the only look anyone should consider wearing. It's like all of the home shows were if you don't have granite countertops, hardwood floors, and stainless steel appliances you are a total loser.

And sheep-like, those with no capacity for free thinking just blindly accept the hype and believe what's fed to them by the media.

• Love 5
(edited)

I haven't caught up yet. Are the blondes the lawyers who argued over whether wearing a Pnina without a lining was unprofessional, and the bride had the lining stripped out later because being clothed at her wedding wasn't "me"?

Edited by Julia
  • Love 6

Interesting article about Angola in New Yorker magazine I received last week.  It's 161 out of 175 countries on a corruption scale.  It's all about the oil.  They produce 1.8M barrels a day.  Luanda is the most expensive city for expatriates.  Rent $16K a month, a bottle of Coke can go for $10, yet it is one of the world's least developed nations.   Each member of Parliament recently received a new $100K Lexus.

So $100K or $200K for wedding clothes?  That's seems about right if you are one of the chosen who gets the $$$, not those who live in slums.

• Love 2

well I hated the sour bitch who came to the sample sale looking for a this year's Pnina. She had such a sour puss on her face the whole time. She really thought she was all that. On the contrary I liked the other girl who bought the giganic Princess Ball Gown..it looked good on her- she could pull offf the Disney Princess.

• Love 2
well I hated the sour bitch who came to the sample sale looking for a this year's Pnina.

Did she seriously think a bazillion dollar dress that had just come out will be on the sale rack already.  And the whole attempt at guilting them ("I came ALL THE WAY FROM HOOTERVILLE...") was supposed to make them cave?

• Love 3

Yes, but Randy did say "You should have called first."  It was all for drama because you know she knew they didn't have that dress.  I finally saw a bride that was wearing appropriate undergarments to try on a wedding dress.  Cannot remember which one it was, but I thought at the time she exhibited some common sense. 

I loved all the comments after the article. Unless everyone who posts here also posted there, we're not the only ones who don't understand the stripper fairy love.

This was hilarious, thank you!

#12. People like getting married in barns. I cannot wait until this trend is over. Unless I am extremely close to the bride and/or groom I will never go to one of these again. I'll be polite about it and all, but not a fan.

#17. Am I old if I find myself agreeing with the parents more often than the bride? Ha!  If so I guess I'm old too. Further evidence I'm apparently old...

25. Girl, if your budget was $7,000 and you couldn’t find a dress in your price range I pray God have mercy on your soul. ...because yeah, granted it was awhile ago but my whole wedding (including dinner reception) cost less than this. I cannot even imagine paying as much as they pay on this show for what's often got less material than your average nightgown.

• Love 2

Even WyQuasia weighs in on this listicle!  She is one of the brides recently who wanted to show off her ASSets.

I also maintain that "WyQuasia" is a killer Scrabble word!  Her parents MUST have been fans when they named her.  :)

• Love 2

Even WyQuasia weighs in on this listicle!  She is one of the brides recently who wanted to show off her ASSets.

I also maintain that "WyQuasia" is a killer Scrabble word!  Her parents MUST have been fans when they named her.  :)

If only they had made that "s" a "z," there'd be no beating it! :)

• Love 2
(edited)

Those comments are gold. My favorite is the delightfully-named Twiggy Carter-Croom, on Pnina:

I just never understood her prices!! Like $30,000?? I don't care how rich I am that fabric better be strands of Jesus's hair woven in it.

ETA Woops. WyQuasia is in the comments, and she's not a happy girl.

Edited by Julia

catching some reruns this evening. I must be cranky again because I cannot tolerate the spoiled brat brides. Just saw the one where the bride was "queen of everything", had nearly made an entirely new dress due to her changes, bossed her mother around, became exasperated when no one moved fast enough for her, had $100,000 wedding in New Orleans and 2 little boys ringing bells and yelling "the bride is coming". I do not think she was a gracious queen. Another bride criticized every single dress they brought her to try on, couldn't believe the dress she had in her head wasn't available. You know, if you can't find a dress you want or have to change it so much, why not just go to a dressmaker and design your own and have it made. The other bride was very sweet, I wasn't paying a lot of attention, but if I remember right, she had had a stroke or cerebral palsy, she also had been born in Russia.

• Love 2
The other bride was very sweet, I wasn't paying a lot of attention, but if I remember right, she had had a stroke or cerebral palsy, she also had been born in Russia.

Was that a really, really old one? If so, I remember her.  There are not many brides that I recall but she was so sweet.  She just wanted to be treated like a woman. So different from the usual.

The only other bride that made an impression was a Canadian girl that was in the military.  She and her mom were so close. It was so refreshing to see them - no drama, no selfish crap.  And her dress was not strapless which was amazing in and of itself!

• Love 1

Was that a really, really old one? If so, I remember her.  There are not many brides that I recall but she was so sweet.  She just wanted to be treated like a woman. So different from the usual.

I enjoyed that woman. She wanted to feel llike an adult woman being taken seriously while she was getting married, and she gave all kinds of credit to her parents for making her feel like that was something she could have. 

• Love 3

I remember her!  She was so sweet and gracious and so thankful just to be treated like everyone else.  Her gown was understated and LOVELY on her.  She was also featured on an episode of The Big Day.  She has to be one of my favorite brides ever.  

(edited)

I watched an episode a little while back that stuck with me because the bride was so pretty. She seemed rather low-maintenance. Her budget was $5,000; the groom was paying for it & she said something about "Not wanting to take advantage." So, it sounded like she was marrying money. They were getting married someplace exotic like Tahiti.

So! I happened to catch an episode of RHoOC today, a show I don't watch. Guess who's on it? It turns out her name is Meghan Edmonds & her husband is a baseball player. When I googled it, the picture of her wedding dress looked different than what I remember from SYttD. Her personality also seems different, less sweet; maybe it's all the cursing.

Edited by NowVoyager
if I never hear again the words "bling, blang, blau" or whatever it is and "the wow factor"

Ditto. Along with "dress of my dreams", "sweetheart neckline", "mermaid style", and "I want to look/feel like a princess". Like these are unique concepts for anybody overpaying for a dress they will wear for a few hours and will be a totally outdated style in 5 years.

• Love 1

I just caught one of the most compelling repeats.

Shahrezad "Sherry"---exquisite South Asian beauty---marrying Brian Kelly---successful car dealership owner. Groomzilla was giving me serious "Sleeping with the Enemy" vibes. You know, the movie where Julia Roberts fakes her own death to escape her husband's controlling ways?

They spared no expense with the wedding. I personally hated the see-through bodice on the dress (pretty sure it was a Pnina), but the bride's regal bearing carried it well. Four Seasons Hotel venue.

A quick Google search revealed a few choice details: dual honeymoons in St. Barts & St. Tropez. And!------

The bride's maiden name is Dr.Shahrezad Ladha. She's a pharmacist.

http://m.salemnews.com/community/weddings/dr-shahrezad-ladha-and-brian-d-kelly/article_b0e22afc-dead-5ff7-a4af-e07403c03b2b.html?mode=jqm

My jaw dropped. Beauty, brains, a $100k career---I'm even more impressed with the bride. And even more confused by her choice of groom.....

• Love 1

I can think of a few reasons.

Are they all located north of Boston?

Which, actually, I wouldn't think less of her for. She's clearly an ambitious woman who works hard to get what she wants. Someone less Type A might really annoy her.

• Love 1

Are they all located north of Boston?

Which, actually, I wouldn't think less of her for. She's clearly an ambitious woman who works hard to get what she wants. Someone less Type A might really annoy her.

Was that the one where the groom went to the fitting and said she had to lop off her train?

I remember watching that one with my daughter. We ended up in an argument: I thought he's gay, she thought he was a control freak. We're probably both right.

Ditto. Along with "dress of my dreams", "sweetheart neckline", "mermaid style", and "I want to look/feel like a princess". Like these are unique concepts for anybody overpaying for a dress they will wear for a few hours and will be a totally outdated style in 5 years.

• Love 1

I think sweetheart neckline is the proper description for a heartshaped neckline. Not so sure about mermaid style, might be.

The other descriptions I've heard make me wish the brides would admit they have no idea what to say. I also get annoyed by hearing that the men are all "amazing." If you can't articulate a better reason for getting married I doubt you'll be married long.

But the one who really irritated me was the gold-digger who wanted a "pirate dress" she wanted it to be "piratey".

making up words to describe a style nobody's ever heard of was about the dumbest thing ever. I think she wanted something 18th century but nobody knew what she was talking about

Did anyone else see SYTTD: The Big Day tonight? It featured Persia, the bride who bought a very expensive Pnina and a $7000 veil last season. 

I guess it's nice to have so much money that you can kind of embrace your spoiled rottenness. Most of the episode seemed to be about her wanting expensive things and being rather self-centered about everything else. 

As someone mentioned when she on SYTTD buying her dress, she has some of the worst vocal fry ever heard. My nerves were on edge after listening to her for an hour. I truly wonder how long her husband will be able to stand it. 

• Love 1

I guess I never registered that she was that rich, because I actually do remember her, and the only thing I clearly remember is that she was remarkably pink and she didn't seem to me to have the features to carry off the shade she chose for her hair. Which, I know, meow, but I seem to recall her talking about looking like Barbie, and (let me try and come up with a delicate way of putting it) that was not my first thought.

Thank you!!! Now I know what a vocal fry is. ACKKKKKKKK!!!! Awful.

I got a giggle about all the "drama" over the veil; then at the wedding you could barely see it as she put her hair up (dislike, BTW) and the veil was just kind of attached in back to her updo. lol

She was very entitled, spoiled, and acknowledged it. I was happy to see her softening up a little by the end.

• Love 1

The vocal fry was so annoying. And who really goes to the actual spot that you are getting married in your dress and orders people to move things around? Wouldn't your guests already be there? or did she get dressed and ready so early that none of the guests had arrived yet? So then she walked back to wherever ALL dressed and ready and waited for the guests to arrive and be seated? Seemed so fake. I know most of it is producer-driven/fake, but this time it seemed too obvious!

• Love 1

Just watched an episode where the bride did not want strapless and they had her try one with spaghetti straps. Silly me, I thought I would see actual sleeves for a change.

Along with bling, wow factor, I want to feel like a princess, etc, I'm tired to hearing 'I want to feel sexy', the word 'girls' referring to breasts, 'drama' or lack of regarding the dress, 'I want to show off my curves'. It doesn't matter how fat or slim a bride is, they end up wearing the same strapless sweetheart mermaid dress anyway.

• Love 6

The only episodes that stand out or I can recall all had dresses that were NOT that run-of-the-mill, look alike "strapless with sweetheart neckline and exploding bottom" messes.  I remember fondly the ones with straps and a different silhouette.  The rest all run together.  And since the best photos are close ups, no one will see anything but bare shoulders and a little bit of the dress.  

I want to hear from those who are still married (not many, I wager) in 20 years to hear what they have to say about their "dream dress" looking back on it!  I bet there will be a lot of "what the heck was I thinking".

• Love 1

Watching reruns again. I don't mind when mom mentions daughter's figure and what daughter should or should not accentuate. Many mothers and daughters have those discussions over the growing up years. But it feels on the creepy side when dad says, my daughter has a beautiful figure and she should show it off more. There was one episode that dad had raised daughter, there were many beauty pageants in their past and he had been involved with her gowns/costume selections for years and this was another shopping trip. But mom and dad sitting on the couch and dad talking about daughter's figure rather disturbs me. Dad's should be be telling daughter how beautiful she looks and that she looks gorgeous in the dresses, but some of them just make me uncomfortable.

• Love 2
Is he supposed to admire her decolletage?

Is her grandfather?  Uncle?  Anybody for that matter?

I am on old fogie but in my mind, save the sexy for the wedding night. As a guest at a wedding, I don't want to see yards and yards of skin showing along with the boobs that inevitable start to escape from those skimpy strapless tops.  I don't find that sexy, I find it unflattering and trashy.  The only thing worse is that see through crap that Pnina insists on doing.  Weddings shouldn't be trampy affairs.

• Love 4

I watched an episode a little while back that stuck with me because the bride was so pretty. She seemed rather low-maintenance. Her budget was $5,000; the groom was paying for it & she said something about "Not wanting to take advantage." So, it sounded like she was marrying money. They were getting married someplace exotic like Tahiti.

So! I happened to catch an episode of RHoOC today, a show I don't watch. Guess who's on it? It turns out her name is Meghan Edmonds & her husband is a baseball player. When I googled it, the picture of her wedding dress looked different than what I remember from SYttD. Her personality also seems different, less sweet; maybe it's all the cursing.

I just watched this one. Season 12 is on Hulu, so of course I binge watched it all...lol Looks like they got married in St. Louis instead of Bora-Bora. I really liked her first dress...I wish she would have stuck with that one. 

http://www.glamour.com/entertainment/blogs/obsessed/2015/08/meghan-edmonds-say-yes-to-the-dress

I wish they showed more designers/dresses, it seems like it is always the same ones, Pnina and Mark Zunino. My fave dresses are by Claire Pettibone and I only saw one of her designs all season! :(

Edited by wookiee cookiee
  • Love 1

She seemed a bit more down to Earth than on home buying show I saw her on not too long ago.  I think she and a boyfriend were searching for a rental in Miami or some other place in Florida.  Anyway, on that show she was a complete snotty beyotch.  I can't remember the name of the show but I think her episode can be youtubed.  It seemed like she had forgotten that homegirl once lived in a garage with hubby #1.  Her fiancee sure was good looking! She upgraded from Armando.

zenme  I don't watch this show (Say Yes to the Dress) so, I have no clue when it is on. I just happened to come upon some information that she and Armando had divorced. No shocker there. Anyways, I am curious to see Veronica on this show. I don't Hulu or any of those things. Can you tell me what the name of this episode is so I can check through my guide? Has it repeated more than once already? I am so curious to see her now. I did see a photo shoot of her with her new man on Youtube. The photographer put it up for advertising reasons.

It's been so long ago that I can't remember! But I'm sure it's only a google away!

She really left Armando in the dust! Traded up fo sho! We were stationed in San Antonio and was always hoping for a Montelongo sighting but no luck. My friend's brother met him somewhere and said he was a douchebag. No surprise.

• Love 1

OK. All those gals who will be eight months pregnant when they walk down the aisle - and there is a sizable subset of these, it's not just one anomaly - need to stop trying to look sexy. Unless, of course, their intention is to appeal to the specific fetishists among their guests whose preferred deviancy is (a) heavily pregnant women (b) wearing wedding dresses that (c ) look like bordello underwear (d) in a church. 

Honey(s), when you are eight months pregnant at your wedding, "virginal" and "sexy" are wedding dress options that have flown the coop, never to return. You need to be looking for sophisticated and dignified. Like they say, fake it till you make it. 

Sincerely,

Miss B. Rutally Honest

Your Bridal Consultant 

From Get-A-Grip, NY

Edited by falconress
  • Love 7

Halle-freakin-lujah

:)

Oh, look, i don't blame him. When she (I assume) came down from heaven there was nothing else in sight. That has to stick with a guy. Just, I think he needs to find another bar to tell the story in.