Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

That's interesting @Miss Chevious because I was so bugged by how Britt looked in her strapless gown. When she was trying them on, the bust seemed so low. I thought they would fix it with tailoring, but it still looked low to me. I just wanted to tug it up. I thought Shelby looked beautiful, and her dress was very flattering. I thought Britt looked beautiful too, but I felt like she had capsulized implants or something that were messing with the strapless look of the gown.

• Love 2

I am busty.  The stores I went to (eighteen years ago) acted like I was insane for insisting on not trying a strapless dress.  I finally lied that my church wouldn’t allow it, and one store told me they really couldn’t show me anything and couldn’t I talk with the church.  It is so prevalent that I think some brides are just brainwashed into thinking that is what they are supposed to want.  I finally had my dress made.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Crs97 said:

It is so prevalent that I think some brides are just brainwashed into thinking that is what they are supposed to want.

Absolutely.  And I think a lot of it comes from designers because sleeves are harder to fit and take more material.  So they flood magazines with all one design and make brides think this is the only way to go.  Sad that it takes a lie (or having the gown made) to get what you want. 

I am so tired of being treated like a sheep. Home design is the same thing.  They act like you simply cannot turn out an edible meal unless your appliances are stainless steel.

• Love 8
(edited)

I'd have a hard time dress shopping today if the stores are pushing strapless gowns because I look hideous in strapless dresses.  I need at least straps.  Now, in regards to the woman from the Bachelor?  I thought the gown she chose was stunning on her.

So, maybe I misses something fast forwarding last week, but how is it that the sales person's huge, blue earrings weren't within the dress code, but this week  those huge hoops with the colorful beads were ok?

This week's show was definitely an improvement, but I still don't like the cutesy talking heads. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

This week's show was definitely an improvement, but I still don't like the cutesy talking heads. 

They need to shut the hell up.  All of them.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I'd have a hard time dress shopping today if the stores are pushing strapless gowns because I look hideous in strapless dresses.  I need at least straps.  Now, in regards to the woman from the Bachelor?  I thought the gown she chose was stunning on her.

So, maybe I misses something fast forwarding last week, but how is it that the sales person's huge, blue earrings weren't within the dress code, but this week  those huge hoops with the colorful beads were ok?

There is a thread on this site for Say Yes to the Dress, Atlanta.  I'll post over there.

Bride (French-Canadian?) fell in love with the Pnina transparent, from bust to pubic,   Her groom vetoed it - he said she looked like a stripper.  She was devastated!  She should hang on to him!

• Love 9
On 7/6/2018 at 7:31 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Oh Lord I got so tired of this promo!!!  "Well, he is going to federal prison....."  All I could visualize was her sitting in an Applebee's* surrounded by her enabling girlfriends: "HEy it is okay, he will get out on appeal, it will be okay...you guys love each other, this is so romantic!!!"  Blech.

* = I like Applebee's, I am just not creative enough to come up with an off the cuff place this morning.

I believe Waffle House may have been what you were looking for

• Love 9
On 6/15/2018 at 12:33 AM, Brookside said:

To me a three day weekend wedding is thoughtful because it allows out of town family/guests to attend.

My son and daughter in law had a holiday weekend wedding . It allowed her family to travel from Iowa to New York , some arrived Friday nite , Saturday nite wedding  and travel home Sunday / Monday , day off Columbus Day ( for some) to recover.   But I’d bet for some of the guests it kinda did ruin a getaway weekend . Oh well. It was a beautiful day and my son picked a wonderful girl ❤️

• Love 5

Don't know how old these episodes are, but.....   Long Island woman & hubby renewing their vows.  Husband with definite ideas sitting there chomping on gum.  Two chubby kids looking for edgy.  She has an unlimited budget if the love of her life approves.  She tries on some hooker dress which she loves, but hubby doesn't.  She tries on a Pnina dress, grey, with slit up the side.  Her fat is spilling out of the top.  She loves it - how can she resist?  She's gorgeous!  They leave the store to think it over.  Apparently, the cancel the vow renewal and give each other anniversary gifts instead.  A watch (probably Rolex) and some jewellery for her.  Gawd!  What a "no class" couple!

• Love 3

Dear brides

if you have a budget of 3000, don’t try on a dress that costs 7000. For once I’d like to see the wallet (aka daddy, NFL fiance, child free aunt) walk out saying budget is 3000 or nothing.

• Love 8

I know I posted awhile ago about my experience shopping at Kleinfeld, and I swore I'd update you all when I went in for alterations. My wedding is on Saturday, and I just picked up my dress today after three fittings (plus today, so kind of 4). And side note: I added straps to my gown. It was a non-negotiable for me. I don't like the way that I look in strapless. 
My dress was a size 10 for my hips/butt (I have a huge ass/hips, but tiny waist), so they had to take the top half of my dress in A LOT. They were VERY thorough and attentive. I also have basically no boobs, and they put in padding and fit that dress the best they could. Honestly, I'm very happy. Kleinfeld does charge a flat rate and it's pretty steep for alterations, but from what I've heard from people...they don't mess up. I hear SO MANY horror stories about bad alterations. General consensus with Kleinfeld is that they are pricey with alterations, but know what they're doing. The woman who did my gown has worked there for over 30 years in alterations. 
I've posted pictures bustled/unbustled. In the original sample, the dress was blush with ivory lace. I ordered ivory over ivory, and added the straps. 
And for the record, this was my third fitting. I got my hair colored this morning. It was a hot mess in these pictures. 

dress 1.jpg

dress 2.jpg

More views

dress 7.jpg

dress 4.jpg

Bustled

dress 5.jpg

dress 8.jpg

• Love 18

Wedding one-piece bride: I get not wanting to wear a dress if that's not your thing, but I really didn't care for either of the outfits she tried on. The one-piece was so form-fitting that it seemed almost inappropriate for a wedding, and the two-piece she chose, while very pretty, kind of looked like pajamas to me. I think I would go for a more tailored and less figure-hugging look if I wanted to wear a pants outfit as a bride.  

They seemed like nice people with nice families, though. No drama!

So sick of brides!  I want to look like a princess (she doesn’t); I want to be sexy; I want bling.  The brides and their stupid entourage, their out of control budgets, Randy, Lori.  Hate them all!  ????

• Love 3

I guess I don't hate brides in general, it's an exciting time for them. 

What I hate are the wannabe starlets who apply to these shows at which time the bride and her entourage amp up the crappy acting for their fifteen minutes of fame.  I cannot believe every bride that comes in to a shop acts so despicably. There have to be some down-to-earth, reasonable women out there.

Any bridal consultants out there to verify my suspicion that it's the TV thing that makes these people so totally unlikable?

• Love 8
On 2018-08-28 at 10:05 AM, Kohola3 said:

What I hate are the wannabe starlets who apply to these shows at which time the bride and her entourage amp up the crappy acting for their fifteen minutes of fame.  I cannot believe every bride that comes in to a shop acts so despicably. There have to be some down-to-earth, reasonable women out there.

Any bridal consultants out there to verify my suspicion that it's the TV thing that makes these people so totally unlikable?

I hope it’s the TV thing, because I feel like slapping most of them!

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:05 AM, Kohola3 said:

my suspicion that it's the TV thing that makes these people so totally unlikable?

I think it's both TLC seeking out these trainwrecks for the "drah-ma" aspect, and said trainwrecks seeking out TLC for their chance to be on TeeVee and maybe getting "discovered".  Win win (but not for us viewers unfortunately)

• Love 4
On 2018-08-29 at 5:05 PM, roughing it said:

I think it's both TLC seeking out these trainwrecks for the "drah-ma" aspect, and said trainwrecks seeking out TLC for their chance to be on TeeVee and maybe getting "discovered".  Win win (but not for us viewers unfortunately)

The only thing that will be “discovered” is that they are jackasses!   LOL

• Love 5
On 8/28/2018 at 4:05 AM, Kohola3 said:

I know that the contract to be on the show is about 50 pages long (I’m not exaggerating). TLC basically owns the right to portray you however they want, they WANT you to have an entourage, they do not guarantee that your episode won’t air until after your wedding (could premiere beforehand, and it has happened), and a crazy amount of other things. IMHO, It takes a certain personality/type of girl to willingly sign her wedding day/exprience away like that. 

Dont get me wrong, I had a great experience at Kleinfeld. But knowing what I know with these shows (I’ve had friends and vendors film forSay Yes to the Dress and Four Weddings) there’s no way in hell I’d ever want to do it. 

Gratuitous wedding pic 

DF5A9478-F898-4BE4-8084-EC3361C15458.jpeg

• Love 19
On 8/24/2018 at 7:22 AM, roughing it said:

Beautiful!  Who is the designer (if you are willing to share)?

Thank you! Danielle Caprese for Kleinfeld. 

On 8/23/2018 at 6:33 PM, Pachengala said:

Girl you are ROCKING that dress! You look gorgeous and I hope you have the wedding of your dreams! 

Thank you! It was perfect. 

• Love 7

I've been watching a few episodes of the UK version of SYTTD. David Emanuel is their requisite male consultant (he designed Princess Diana's wedding dress).

The dresses are much less expensive than at K's; one ep featured the priciest gown in the store and it was around $8500 U.S.

But the headline is that they have six brides per episode! All in 44 minutes. Odd how that happens when you cut out 80% of the entourage arguments and tears.

The episodes are available on the TLC site with login.

• Love 6
On 8/28/2018 at 9:05 AM, Kohola3 said:

There have to be some down-to-earth, reasonable women out there.

There are, we bought our dresses on Amazon for less than $100 and tried it on in our living rooms, lol!!

Edited to add:  Or we bought a dress at a consignment store, or bought a reasonably prices dress within OUR budget with one friend present, then went out to lunch.  No crowds, no "posse" no asking Daddy to pay $3000 for.....a dress.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 2

I've been watching the reruns on Sunday morning. The old shorter episodes are so much better. Les Pnina, for one thing. Also I liked the managers being featured in the TH. Today I caught a blowout episode (with the Australian bride who ended up not liking her dream dress) and an episode with a bride who was set on a blush gown but wasn't feeling it till she tried on something white. There's just enough of brides, family and consultants in these episodes. 

Episode 2 also featured a very pretty, petite bride who had seen a photo of a particular halter dress and was trying to replicate it. I hated the halter dresses she tried on, as well as her dream dress in the photo. They looked like white cocktail dresses. She would have looked amazing in so many other styles. Too bad she was fixated on that one. 

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 1

I saw the Ashley and Michael (RHOFP), she tried on a few slinky dresses but just could not get a certain slinky dress out of her mind...doesn't Kleinfeld's list the designers they carry on their website?  Ashley should have known the dress she wanted was not going to be at K's but I guess she had the itch to start her television career because if you look at her wedding photo she is wearing the dress she really wanted from the start.  

• Love 3
On 4/6/2016 at 10:18 AM, Kohola3 said:

Our small town of 3000 still has them. As with Laredhead, they don't have the long descriptions of the dress anymore but they talk about the bridal party and family, the reception, schooling and jobs, and where they will live.  Gotta fill those newspaper pages!

Oh, and don't forget the happy couple's fraternity and sorority affiliations.  Eager readers want to know if a Phi Mu can find true love with a Pi Kappa Epsilon!

• Love 2
On 4/18/2016 at 8:41 PM, tivofanatic said:

What sets me off is any Gatsby bride.  Did you read the book or at least see the movie?  The Great Gatsby is a story of adultery.  You may as well ask for a Game of Thrones assassination wedding. Nobody needs two wedding dresses, unless you're going for a completely different look like a Chinese or Indian wedding reception. Then again, I'm not paying for it.  

I think when the Gatsby brides think of the Great Gatsby, their heads are filled with the thoughts of the gorgeous confections Catherine Martin whipped up for the 2014 film.  If most of them read the actual book, I'd be shocked.

• Love 4

watching old episodes tonight, these are one hour, don't care for that format. And by old, I mean, Randy's just starting to have his own line. I saw the ones with the runway show several years ago. 

There was one very unlikable bride earlier tonight, she was set on getting a black dress to go with her "black soul", what a spoiled rotten b***h! And, her mother was set on white with long sleeves and covered up. Bride was gleeful over the black dresses and mom was pissed, then mom started crying, then bride sulked out of the room saying she was done. Finally, mom went back to talk to her, compromise was reached, white for the ceremony, black for the reception, but both were boob exposing, body on display for every one to see every bit. 

Editing to add, there was a pregnant bride earlier who let the cat out of the bag to her family during the appointment, I guess it was her twin sister, but she was so negative, I wanted to slap her, the consultant, Lisa, she wanted to slap the sister, was standing there telling to be quiet, shaking her head, Randy was telling the sister to stop, dad was telling the sister to stop. Finally the bride decided that she would postpone the wedding until after the baby and hopefully she'd get her body back in shape. She got a good look at her baby stomach and made that decision. I refuse to say the popular term people use.

Then there's brides who are so skinny, those itty bitty bridal samples have to be tightened up. Good heavens, don't those women ever eat? Rather rhetorical question, I have a great nephew who's about 5'10" and weighs about 100 lbs, he's full of nervous energy, but he also doesn't have much of an appetite. He, like his mother did, will gain weight after he's in his 30s, he's only 20. 

Editing again. It's time for me to turn this off for tonight. Really, getting married in Paris? After they hold a ceremony in the US with family and friends, then the wedding planner marries them in Paris? I think it was just so she could parade around the Palace Vendome in front of a bunch of strangers so they could admire her.

And these have already probably been discussed years ago, for some reason after I read one thread, I went out of the site, came back and all of the threads under Say Yes to the Dress were marked as read and I was being lazy. I may go back a few pages and read now.

Edited by friendperidot

I had those same reruns on (in the background) last night. They’re from this past season which aired last January and the discussion begins on page 32 of this forum. Randy’s Line, Black Dress Bride, Pnina’s Assistant’s Gown(s), Glacier Bride, Nanny Bride, Pregnant Twin, Ditzy Texas Blonde, No Color Bride and the others-all with some kind of gimmick or cheesy backstory are there for your snarking pleasure. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 3

I'm watching old reruns today and couldn't believe the bride who wanted to ruin a traditional gown by sweating all over it in a half marathon. Where do they find these idiots? I'm sure it's every girl's dream to say her vows along with a boatload of strangers while the officiant says, "tell your bride or groom I do."

She couldn't have had her own ceremony before or after the marathon and changed clothes like a person without cereal for brains?

It reminded me of the bride who decided to get married in the middle of the ocean, which required everyone to be in wetsuits. Guess a beach wedding wouldn't have gotten the message across that she loves the ocean. SMH

• Love 3
On 3/11/2018 at 1:16 AM, the-grey-lady said:

Is there some reason why we can't go a few weeks without having to gaze upon that godawful Pnina with the giant clusters of rhinestones and the ruched bodice? Seriously, that thing has gotta be four or five years old, at least? Why do they keep digging it out of mothballs and pontificating about how gorgeous, trendsetting, and unique it is (despite the fact that it is not one of those adjectives)?

C'mon show. Let that dress die a natural death. 

Just in case anyone would like to see it one last (I hope) time... https://www.pinterest.com/pin/355573333060874421/

I don't watch that often, but they're doing a marathon and I think I've seen this three times today! But hey, it's better than her usual transparent corset streetwalker-worthy "gowns."

• Love 3

Wow.  I haven't watched this show in a long time.  I don't recognize a single consultant except for Randy.  Shay is a jerk, but the animosity between him and Randy is so clearly manufactured for the drama.  

Actually, there's a ton of fake drama.  There was the airhead bride who wanted to swim with the dolphins during her wedding so she wanted a two-piece dress that she could change into on the fly, the pregnant bride with the mean twin sister, the bride who wanted to get married on a glacier...ugh.  

With the popularity the show has gained, I shouldn't be surprised that they're getting these B and C list celebrities as clients.  

Edited by Amethyst

I’m still screaming from last night. We get famewhore black dress bride and her famewhore mom AGAIN, and then promos of her and her new hubby kicking off “Say Yes to the Nest” on HGTV?! No, no, no, no, NO.

• Love 8

I'm going to "Say NO to The Nest." Does anyone think obnoxious Cami and her Momzilla are entertaining? What's next, "Cami's Special Day" where we'll be treated to a whole hour of the Black Dress fake drama? 

• Love 6

I so agree with Pj3422 and magemaud!  I'm excitedly watching the season premiere and here comes the bride and mother I just can't stand from the previous episode (last season?).  The thinking she's a celebrity bride tells her mother that she wants the black dress along with the white one and the mom goes crazy and chases down Randy who is in the midst of an appointment.  ALL DRAMA.  And then we have to watch the shenanigans of her wedding?  So, basically, the entire second half of the one hour episode was a bride and her mother who I couldn't stand from an earlier episode.  Why do they think I want to watch that?  I want to watch wedding gowns, not vile people who are living for their 15 minutes.  And then they got another show on HGTV?  Ridiculous!

Edited by seacliffsal
  • Love 9

I was excited for the new season to start. An NBA stars sister came in for a dress then the tattoo'd bride who wanted a black dress and her mom are back. They were interesting for a few minutes in the past episode but today they added manufactured drama with the bride trying on the white dress she bought but saying she now also wanted a black dress too at which point the mother pretends to panic and 'suddenly' (with the camera crew ready to follow her) jumps up and runs to get Randy.  There's a guy alterations fitter now, went right in there to fit the bride. Randy doesn't even go into the changing rooms so I was surprised. And Randy used to be 'Brandi Alexander' so if anyone has the right to be in the dressing room its him! I saw the 2nd episode - "A Purple Unicorn" on demand - If you haven't seen it, stop reading! - and I didn't recognize a single consultant or manager. Where are all the regulars? I found it really boring with new, young, bland faces and lost interest fast. Without the consultants we've come to know I just lose interest.  A bassist/singer who worked with Prince is featured & I couldn't get into her story at all, felt like she was auditioning for something. When the singer says she wants a 'catsuit' type wedding dress the new consultant actually 'meeooww's at her and at that moment I was out. Why are they messing with success? They did this last year when they brought on 'Shay' and had Pnina running around 'whispering' dramatically about in-store tension & I stopped watching & just watched old episodes On Demand. Looks like I might be doing that again.

Screenshot 2019-01-06 at 3.43.24 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-01-06 at 3.53.53 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-01-07 at 6.01.18 AM.png

Edited by CaliCannoli
Added 'Purple Unicorn' Episode
  • Love 3

Have they decided to just focus on Randy? Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy him but I miss the times where you were invested in the other consultants. They tried to introduce Shay but then made it a stupid rivalry with randy. I need more of the accessories guy or a consultant that interests me. I’m sure Lisa is a lovely woman...but meh. She brings nothing. Bring me a Keasha or Sarah that I care about. 

There seems to be more missing? Better brides? Less showy stories? It needs help. 

• Love 5

Spending two segments of the season premiere on the wedding of that annoying mother/daughter duo was so bad.  I guess it was to try and launch a new show but the picked the wrong couple.   

For those worrying that stories about Randy's collection will take over, it's too soon to tell but there are two episodes On Demand.  The premiere and the second episode.  The second has a different focus.  In fact,

Spoiler

He only appears briefly in the second ep.  I liked both brides they showed and I didn't find the entourages overly obnoxious either. Better than the premiere.

• Love 1

I watched the first 30 minutes of the hour long premier.  I thought the dress the basketball sister had initially liked from another previous salon was better than the one she chose at Kleinfeld.  She wouldn't say yes until mom cried.  So for the bride to say yes, mom had to drum up some kind of (non?) tears and dab at her eyes.

Then the black dress bride was being featured and I deleted the rest.  Not interested.

I'm always skeptical when a bride walks into Kleinfeld's looking for a dress and tells the consultant that she actually found a dress she liked elsewhere but decided to look for another at Kleinfeld.  No surprise, Sydel Curry got married in an entirely different dress than the one she 'chose' on the show.  Incredibly enough, the dress she wore was even tackier than the Pnina she selected on the show, complete with big side cutouts.  Really awful.  It also had straps and, for some weird reason, big seams down the butt.  Not good at all.  It wasn't the one she had the photo of on the show, either.  Since Ms. Curry made sure to plug her blog and, as most of us know, Ayesha Curry is always selling herself and pretending that 5 year old Riley has her own blog (because she insists she must have one and she controls the content, just ask Ayesha); I presume the reason they went on the show was to get hits and continue their famewhore ways.   Interesting, too, that the usual discussion of what specifically Sydel was looking for as well as her budget was completely ignored, too.  We didn't even get to find out what the Pnina she pretended to buy actually cost.  I realize the Curry's could afford to buy a dozen of any dress in the store, but it only made it more obvious that it was totally a fabricated scenario.  I presume they didn't talk about the price because 1) they weren't going to buy a dress anyway and 2) Ayesha is always trying to pretend she is 'just folks' and lives the life of any middle class wife and mother; so telling the world she could afford to pay a fortune wouldn't help the brand.  I presume Sydel's thing also involves pretending to be 'just folks' since they conveniently forgot to mention that her father played for many years in the NBA and they had a very privileged upbringing in a wealthy family.

Between phony famewhoring Currys and the awful black widow bride and her annoying mother, it was a not an auspicious start to the new season.

Video of Sydel's actual wedding and reception:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sydel+curry+wedding&docid=608005632057081964&mid=F248BD9849010E127703F248BD9849010E127703&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

• Love 3