Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Let’s be perfectly honest, Barbara Corcoran is a giant, snooty biotch.  Her comments about the bride’s stomach and not getting pregnant were way out of line.  When Randy said that Barbara didn’t have a censor on her mouth, it was a huge understatement.   It’s obvious she was there for TV only, as it seemed the bride didn’t like her at all.  

What I don’t understand is why brides feel forced to have every member of her entourage like her gown. Whenever someone in a group, including the mother, try and control what a bride selects, I scream at the TV “It’s not your freaking wedding, it’s the bride’s”.  

I’m getting tired of the Randy self promotion for his gowns. I’m ff-ing a lot of his stuff, including this stupid March Madness pick-a-dress crap.  

Another thing I’m sick of are these bride’s who have to do weird things on their wedding day.  Seems like SYTTD is only interested in that kind of bride.  

• Love 7

It seems that now the only way to get on the show is to have one or more of the following:

ridiculous venue

sob story

celebrity connection

huge opinionated entourage

stupid manufactured drama

unlimited Pnina budget

Did I miss any? No more likable, reasonable brides with a realistic budget, shopping with their mother and perhaps one other friend, having a traditional wedding, and wanting to look CLASSY and timeless on their wedding day. 

• Love 14

I don't watch Shark Tank and now I never will.  Barbara is a most unlikeable person who thinks she is cute.  She's not.  

The show is becoming the "Randy Fanoli" show.  I really like Randy, but I'm tired of hearing about his collection.  And why does it seem lately that the brides are only trying on a couple of dresses?  I guess if they show them in more dresses they wouldn't have time for all the ridiculousness they show.  I'm losing interest fast.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Barbara Corcoran was really annoying, unfunny and crass, confusing vulgarity with wit.

What is it with all these brides that feel the need to incorporate something else in to their wedding that could be done on any other day of the year? Marathons and amusement parks may not be all that to your guests.  I'd be inclined to decline one of those invites.

On the bright side we are seeing some different dresses instead of the same old, same old.

How in the heck did I miss Barbara Corcoran?  Though I mostly like her on Shark Tank, her disastrous appearance on DWTS gave a big ol' insight into her character.  IMO, it's nothing to envy.

7 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I agree, what was the point of spending all that money on a dress with alterations when she’s going to run(and sweat) for 13 miles in it? They both should’ve worn typical running clothes, IMO, maybe white for her and black for him.

The thought of running and sweating in a wedding dress makes my skin crawl.  There are some fabrics I don't want on my body if I'm going to be sweating like I'm in a sauna.  Cotton for me, please!  The storylines have gotten ridiculous.  It's like the over-the-top wedding cakes that have to depict the bride and groom's entire life.  I find those kinds of things unnecessary.  I like things a little simpler, but elegant.  YMMV.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

The thought of running and sweating in a wedding dress makes my skin crawl.  There are some fabrics I don't want on my body if I'm going to be sweating like I'm in a sauna.  Cotton for me, please!  

And that’s not even to mention the chafing! Racing 101: don’t wear anything on race day that you haven’t run in before, because what starts at Mile 4 as that pretty ruffle on the bodice rubbing your inner bicep will by Mile 9 be a painful, bloody disaster. These wedding gimmicks don’t normally bother me (and normally turn out to be their own rewards in any case, if you know what I’m saying) but this one had me cringing in sympathy-pain.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

How in the heck did I miss Barbara Corcoran?  Though I mostly like her on Shark Tank, her disastrous appearance on DWTS gave a big ol' insight into her character.  IMO, it's nothing to envy.

The only good thing on this episode was Barbara calling out the unchosen Pnina dress as cheap!  I loved that.

Also, that brides mom was giving me "broke down Faith Hill".  Anyone else?

• Love 4

I wonder what is the success rate for staying married if you do something non-traditional like run a race, get married on a roller-coaster, etc? These brides think that what they are doing is so unique but most of us are just rolling our eyes. I don't see the point in buying an expensive, beautiful gown and then running the streets. The athletic shoes and boots thing is getting old. As is, Mom hates my tats or my desire for a black wedding gown. 

Barbara Cochran lacks self-awareness. I looked forward to seeing her on the show but was put off by her terrible comments to the bride who seemed quite lovely. The Sharks will do themselves a favor if they stay off of other reality shows. It rarely works in their favor. 

Pnina Tornai did not know Barbara Cochran. Ha!

It would be great if SYTTD would let us know the price of the accessories like they do the dresses. That ugly, huge necklace had to be several hundred dollars, at least. It didn't go with the dress. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Showthyme said:

I don't see the point in buying an expensive, beautiful gown and then running the streets.

or dragging it in the wet sand along the beach like "Rain" did at the amusement park before riding the slingshot. 

• Love 4

That  Barbara Cochran woman made the most basic mistake people make when getting caps or veneers on their teeth:  she got the whitest, brightest, most unnatural shade instead of a more natural looking color. Her teeth scream “I am completely fake!” Money doesn’t buy taste—which is kind of a running theme of the show.  And frankly, I have to say ha ha to that since she seems like an awful person.

(When I got caps on my front teeth, my dentist warned me about how fake the whitest white would look, and she steered me to a color that still gets me complements about how white they are but that look natural.)

• Love 4
On 2/25/2018 at 11:13 PM, rur said:

But wasn't she wearing an off-the-shoulder all black one a couple weeks ago?

re: Consultant Lisa's top. Watching a rerun episode the other day I noticed she was wearing a black off-the-shoulder top when she was working with the bride getting married on short notice at the top of the Empire State Building last season. It was another preposterous storyline where Randy offered to officiate at the wedding, Pnina offered herself as her attendant, and many of the Kleinfeld's crew were there as witnesses. Sure...

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

Did anyone else notice that when the bride who had Barbara with her came out of the dressing room the last time, she had what looked like a monitoring thing on her ankle. I forget what they're called.

I think it's the microphone.

31 minutes ago, roughing it said:

I think it's the microphone.

Thanks, roughing it. I haven't watched the show for a while. I recently started watching again, and that was the first time I noticed something like that, because I usually look at their shoes when they come out holding up the dress.

On 3/4/2018 at 5:43 PM, camom said:

I don't watch Shark Tank and now I never will.  Barbara is a most unlikeable person who thinks she is cute.  She's not.  

The show is becoming the "Randy Fanoli" show.  I really like Randy, but I'm tired of hearing about his collection.  And why does it seem lately that the brides are only trying on a couple of dresses?  I guess if they show them in more dresses they wouldn't have time for all the ridiculousness they show.  I'm losing interest fast.

I wonder if the backlash of people being annoyed with Shay being rude to Randy made them think the audience wanted all Randy, all the time? 

And why aren’t they trying on more dresses? Some of them we are only seeing two...like the Cat Cora bride. She had on the second dress and they were going back to the first and saying yes so quickly. Boring. That’s the whole point of the flipping show...give us more. 

• Love 4
On 3/4/2018 at 7:54 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Barbara Corcoran was really annoying, unfunny and crass, confusing vulgarity with wit.

What is it with all these brides that feel the need to incorporate something else in to their wedding that could be done on any other day of the year? Marathons and amusement parks may not be all that to your guests.  I'd be inclined to decline one of those invites.

On the bright side we are seeing some different dresses instead of the same old, same old.

13B653BF-290A-41D1-823A-C7A60D4D3DD1.jpeg

• Love 11

That  Barbara Cochran woman made the most basic mistake people make when getting caps or veneers on their teeth:  she got the whitest, brightest, most unnatural shade instead of a more natural looking color.

I was told that your teeth should never be whiter than the whites of your eyes.  

Not sure I'll even watch this week.  The hijinks are getting old.

On 2/15/2018 at 7:41 PM, Kohola3 said:

K's has a whole lot of long sleeved gowns.  Some are gorgeous and I'd love to see some on the show.  We just seem to get the skanky brides.  Lucky us.

I'm not surprised, I believe that Ks gets a fair number of conservative Jewish brides. 

Can we all rewind to the Pnina VIP episode for a minute? Can anyone tell me what the girl Maria's parents do? How did they afford a $50K+ dress??

I see the controversial "Wounded Warrior" bride, Alicia, was back on tonight 7 months pregnant. She was on the show TWO YEARS ago when they gifted her a dream wedding gown but she still hasn't gotten married and said the pregnancy postponed the wedding? 

• Love 4

Is there some reason why we can't go a few weeks without having to gaze upon that godawful Pnina with the giant clusters of rhinestones and the ruched bodice? Seriously, that thing has gotta be four or five years old, at least? Why do they keep digging it out of mothballs and pontificating about how gorgeous, trendsetting, and unique it is (despite the fact that it is not one of those adjectives)?

C'mon show. Let that dress die a natural death. 

Just in case anyone would like to see it one last (I hope) time... https://www.pinterest.com/pin/355573333060874421/

• Love 15

That young blonde woman who wanted a cathedral length train (seriously?) looked like she was being swallowed up by that dress. 

On the upside, Randy has a lining available for the dresses!  Yay!  It looked so much better lined. 

@the-grey-lady, I think that dress looks pretty from a distance, but yeah, it's definitely getting old now.  I liked the one that New Year's Eve bride picked.  I haven't seen that one before. 

@MamaMax, I saw that Pnina episode!  I was appalled at the one bride who spent $150 (or was it $200) thousand on 4 or 5 dresses.  I know it's their money to do with what they chose, but damn!  That's obscene.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

That young blonde woman who wanted a cathedral length train (seriously?) looked like she was being swallowed up by that dress. 

On the upside, Randy has a lining available for the dresses!  Yay!  It looked so much better lined. 

@the-grey-lady, I think that dress looks pretty from a distance, but yeah, it's definitely getting old now.  I liked the one that New Year's Eve bride picked.  I haven't seen that one before. 

@MamaMax, I saw that Pnina episode!  I was appalled at the one bride who spent $150 (or was it $200) thousand on 4 or 5 dresses.  I know it's their money to do with what they chose, but damn!  That's obscene.

The girl who spent the 500K on her dress, mother's and bridesmaids, as I recall, her dad is like the dictator of a small corrupt country somewhere, LOL! UGGGGGG

• Love 3
8 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

Is there some reason why we can't go a few weeks without having to gaze upon that godawful Pnina with the giant clusters of rhinestones and the ruched bodice? Seriously, that thing has gotta be four or five years old, at least? Why do they keep digging it out of mothballs and pontificating about how gorgeous, trendsetting, and unique it is (despite the fact that it is not one of those adjectives)?

C'mon show. Let that dress die a natural death. 

Just in case anyone would like to see it one last (I hope) time... https://www.pinterest.com/pin/355573333060874421/

No kidding!  I haven't watched the new shows in about 6 months, and I was thinking" They are STILL hauling out that heavy, "bejeweled" monstrosity????"

• Love 5
9 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

Is there some reason why we can't go a few weeks without having to gaze upon that godawful Pnina with the giant clusters of rhinestones and the ruched bodice?

and the joke being that the bride wanted something ~different that no other bride would have. The styling of her wedding look was so bad as well. Way too much makeup, way too much hair. But the wedding itself looked fun, so good on her. 

• Love 2

Anybody know how much that New Year's bride's dress cost? I don't think they said. She was tacky, but that dress was fabulous. However, I did like the dress that she decided against with the fabulous to the floor sleeves. Ahhhhhhhh. 

• Love 3

Yes, it certainly did!  I was one who was pretty vocal with my dislike of that dress, but the lining made all the difference in the world, IMO.  

9 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

However, I did like the dress that she decided against with the fabulous to the floor sleeves. Ahhhhhhhh. 

I thought both dresses were beautiful on her, but I think she made the right decision.  I liked the one she eventually chose better, only because she and her entourage thought that the one with the Bolero jacket could be something similar to what a guest might wear to the wedding.  I can understand that.  The one she chose did look like fireworks on the dress.  I think it fit more with the theme of her wedding, but again, both dresses were stunning, IMO.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, magemaud said:

I see the controversial "Wounded Warrior" bride, Alicia, was back on tonight 7 months pregnant. She was on the show TWO YEARS ago when they gifted her a dream wedding gown but she still hasn't gotten married and said the pregnancy postponed the wedding? 

Yeah, that made me go Hmmm. Her emotion for Randy does seem genuine to me, though.

I wonder if fans of the show wanted to see a follow up with her and kept asking so they figured out a way to insert her to give an update. (Gawd, i'm so cynical!) Because we certainly didn't get the full episode treatment for her friend. They could've been strangers, ie maybe that lady was an actress.

4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

liked the one that New Year's Eve bride picked.  I haven't seen that one before. 

It was really pretty. And something different. I loved the textural element and I liked the shape of the top. It suited the wedding theme. Yay show! I was pissed/nervous when Diane trotted out the Pnina dress (has it been around 10 years? because it feels like it) i screamed NO! at the tv. I'm sort of shocked Pnina still sells it. I'd probably pull a Radiohead (they don't preform Creep anymore - supposedly) and stop making it. But it's probably a cash cow for her-  a bejeweled cash cow.

California bride. She was somewhat unpleasant but I thought her mom and sister were awful, so I just assume that's how she copes with them. Anyway. 

Her figure seemed more difficult to fit (larger rounded shoulder) - strapless looked odd but so did straps. The illusion was a good solve and looked nice on her. It was nice to see that Randy dress in white and lined. Looked so much better. And I agree with the bride in a way... If someone (and y'all did) showed me the blue "whipped cream boob" version unlined i would not be a fan and I was not. In white and lined it's still A LOT of look but it's better.  So when her mom was gettin' all "i told you so" I sided with the bride, I couldn't visualize that and seemed like many here couldn't either so yeah. Gloat somewhere else please, lady.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Anybody know how much that New Year's bride's dress cost? I don't think they said. She was tacky, but that dress was fabulous. However, I did like the dress that she decided against with the fabulous to the floor sleeves. Ahhhhhhhh. 

I think it said that it was in the $14,000 range.

18 minutes ago, eyelash said:

Instead of stunt casting and manufactured drama, how about more on behind-the-scenes at Kleinfeld? I'd be interested in a (condensed) week of life in the alterations dept. featuring Vera and her amazing crew.  Or some scenes showing the thought process, pricing strategy and prep work leading up to the sample sale.  What is life like in shipping where dozens of dresses have to be categorized and stored on arrival or prepared for shipping out to clients?  Who selects the dresses for the mannequins and is responsible for the look of the showroom?   Who selects the laces, beading, glitzy embellishments and trims available for creating jackets and veils?  How about a feature on the best selling looks from each decade Kleinfeld has been in business, and how those design features have been carried down through the years?   What style is each consultant's favorite (mermaid, ballroom, whatever) and why?  But nope, they keep showing the same dresses on the same cookie cutter women who want to prominently feature their fake boobs, fake tans, fake teeth and fake hair on the most "authentic" day of their love.    

Great ideas!  You're forgetting one thing...TLC Network.  It isn't The Learning Channel anymore. ?‍?

• Love 3

@eyelash, I would definitely tune into that!  As it is, I have quit watching because it has deteriorated into a "tawdry reality show" (great description) with phony drama, unpleasant people, and the same hideous Pnina dresses.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

@eyelash, I would definitely tune into that!  As it is, I have quit watching because it has deteriorated into a "tawdry reality show" (great description) with phony drama, unpleasant people, and the same hideous Pnina dresses.

Ditto. I watched bits of the first episode of the season but, disgusted with the usual crap, took it off my DVR list. I hop over to this thread occasionally to see if it's changed and I see it hasn't. I don't miss it one bit. 

• Love 2

Yawn, the Pnina Tornai Pnina #4019 featured again!

New Year's Eve bride put on some original dresses, that was a big treat.

Chubby bride's family had no idea what they were doing, choosing unflattering dress after unflattering dress. Let the consultant do her job!

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Refresh said:
On 3/11/2018 at 12:01 AM, magemaud said:

Yeah, that made me go Hmmm. Her emotion for Randy does seem genuine to me, though.

I wonder if fans of the show wanted to see a follow up with her and kept asking so they figured out a way to insert her to give an update. (Gawd, i'm so cynical!) Because we certainly didn't get the full episode treatment for her friend. They could've been strangers, ie maybe that lady was an actress.

Or does she just want an excuse to be on camera again? I kind of doubt if viewers were clamoring for an update especially after her backstory was exposed as possibly fraudulent. Personally, there are many other brides I'd be interested in seeing a follow up about. And I absolutely agree that her shopping friend could have just been a "plant." 

• Love 3

I forgot her backstory.  I remember the episode.  Will someone post the info?

That New Years Eve bride was so extra.  I looked up her entourage and the woman is a morning drive DJ in Chicago.  Her male friend works in promotion and she is in sales, I think.  It's an I Heart Radio station.  The dress was nice, but the hair, makeup and head piece were really too much.

i didn't mind the other bride, but her mom and sister were annoying!

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Am I the only one who watches/watched for dresses?

Lord no.  That's exactly why I started watching but TLC totally screwed up the show with their manufactured drama so I don't watch anymore.

I agree, half an hour of watching a whole bunch of dresses modeled by anonymous people would be peachy with me.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Am I the only one who watches/watched for dresses?  I would almost be happy with automatron robot models wearing dresses.  Don't need backstories, don't need entourages, don't even need filmography of the wedding.

Dresses.

Nope, my ideal show would be a couple of would-be brides, different ages, shapes, sizes; each trying on half a dozen dresses in silence. Give us a brief graphic with the bride's preferences as to style, color, etc.  Describe each dress she tries on in a sentence or two. No backstory, no entourage, no dramatics.  At the end, they could put up a graphic letting us know which one she picked.  The end.

In addition to the stale format, we see the same gowns week after week.  Pnina's dresses must be very profitable, hence, the show shoving her down our throats.  But, even she has more dresses than we see on the show.  There is no reason for us to still be seeing the bejeweled satin ruched number from years ago when this year's stripper fairy dresses are eminently snarkable.  I'd actually prefer it if they just put a big 'ole roulette wheel in the middle of the salon and let each bride spin it like the showcase showdown on The Price is Right.  Let ALL the designers Kleinfeld's carries be on the wheel and the bride tries on dresses based on the designers' name she spins.  Each round, a different designer.  Let's get some fun back on this show!

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Am I the only one who watches/watched for dresses?  I would almost be happy with automatron robot models wearing dresses.  Don't need backstories, don't need entourages, don't even need filmography of the wedding.

Dresses.

Can I get an AMEN!!! I said pretty much the same thing about Four Weddings. I don't need a sob filled backstory, I don't need an entourage, I just wanna look at the pretty, pretty, (and some not-so-pretty) dresses that I'll never be able to afford! It's a simple recipe people, stop adding stuff to it! 

• Love 4