Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/1/2018 at 10:42 PM, jenifaohjenny said:

Is Shay gone?

He was in the background of one of this season's episodes, he was wearing a crappy looking blue sweater that probably cost a fortune. I thought the consultant who was wearing the white tunic looked nice, maybe she got a promotion?

I spent most of the black dress bride episode convinced that it was a set up for Randy to bring out his blue dress.

The Pnina consultant is the girl in the ballgown at the end of the title sequence with the train being fluffed in slow motion.

Has anyone attended weddings recently?  Are many brides (beyond what we see on the show) actually wearing these tacky, see-through, cleavage-showing dresses?  As a guest, I'd be embarrassed for the bride, but maybe I'm a prude. 

Most of the brides in my neck of the woods, (NYC/Long Island) are wearing strapless lace gowns, usually fit and flare or mermaid.

Edited by TwopLurker
Pnina not Pinina

According to the guide for tonight's new show: "Doga instructor Mariah looks for a princess dress and wants dog Coco to match."

Nope.  Uh-uh. No way.  Not watching.  Might throw up.  Gagging just thinking about it. 

Anyone want to bet she's a bleach blond bimbo and her dog is some little purse-sized, bug-eyed thing?

• Love 2

The Doga a instructor and her entourage are ridiculous. Bringing dogs dressed in gowns and  mylar balloons into the salon is cheesy. These people are way more excited about being on a television show than picking out a dress.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Anyone want to bet she's a bleach blond bimbo and her dog is some little purse-sized, bug-eyed thing?

Nope. BRUNETTE bimbo with a purse-size bug-eyed dog.

Too bad you decided to skip it. You missed the tour of her dog's closet...filled with rows of doggie outfits and doggie wigs....

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 7

I am totally opposed to using an animal as an accessory.    "Let's get the dog's opinion."  WTF?  I hope they set the dog down and let him actually walk every once in a while.  Ugh. I will leave my thoughts on the matter at that. ;)   

I love most of Randy's dresses, but not the blue one.  The 2 lace covers over the breasts look like they're just stuck on there.  IMO, there needs to be continuity with the chest coverage to the waist.  YMMV.  The long blue veil was just too much also.   I did love the Paris bride's dress.   I wish her family could've been included in the ceremony.  She and her groom looked so nice not to have family with them!  I can understand though how some couples want to get married out of the country, and it can put a financial strain on other family members to get there.  Maybe it was best that they had the family dinner prior to eloping, then nobody had any pressure about having to pay for a trip like that.  

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I love most of Randy's dresses, but not the blue one.  The 2 lace covers over the breasts look like they're just stuck on there.  IMO, there needs to be continuity with the chest coverage to the waist.  YMMV.  

I agree. The whole time she was wearing it, I was thinking it would have been so much prettier if the embellishments on the front didn't look like pasties. They could have easily been incorporated into a modified heart shape -- kind of like the lining that was going to be sewn into the other dress. 

Don't get me started on the dogs. Sheesh. I noticed one picture of her, the groom and the dog in between them. I can't help but wonder which will get more of her attention. 

Edited by rur
  • Love 7

I don't understand paying $9,000 for a dress and then getting married in the middle of a public area without family and friends.  It was a pretty dress, but what a waste of money - IMVHO.  My son and daughter in-law flew to the Virgin Islands to get married and spend a week there on their honeymoon, and our gift to them was the money to pay for the trip.  We couldn't afford to go and give them the trip as well, but they didn't want a big wedding so that was their solution.  My DIL paid $100 for a very pretty, simple long sheath dress for their beach wedding.  I wonder if that bride paid for her dress herself?  I guess the friends and her sister got TV time in return for not going to Paris.

I am enjoying the show that follows SYTTD, SOS Save our Wedding or something like that.  I like George and he gives some good tips on make overs and style.    

• Love 3

The hilarity of the bride thinking heavier = more expensive when it was proven to be false when the massive dress was $1000 less than the ~cheap dress she put on before.

Why have a wedding planner when you're eloping? What is there to plan? Your dinner reservation for two? Oh wait that was in their hotel room... the rehearsal dinner reservation? 

Coco sure didn't seem to love being swallowed up by tulle. Stop.torturing.tiny.dogs.

• Love 9

I enjoyed today's episode. The brides were enthusiastic. Sure the dog thing was really stupid and "Doga"provoked a huge eye roll, but what can I say, the variety of dresses made up for it. That 19K ombré pink dress was magnificent, and Randi's blue dress with that veil, wow, took my breath away. I'm with everyone else on the pasties, they are too crisply defined for my taste, but everything else is delicious. I felt sorry for Randi having to do dog couture, that's pretty humiliating, but if he charged her $1500 it's probably worth living with the shame.

I wasn't keen on Paris bride's final choice, it was meh for me. The lace was odd and the skirt charmless.

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 4

I love dogs, but hate when people use them as accessories.  I know people who say their dogs love getting dressed up, but I frankly don't believe them.  That woman's husband is going to play second fiddle to the dog.

I agree with those who don't like Randy's blue dress.  Pasties indeed.

• Love 12
46 minutes ago, weightyghost said:

The hilarity of the bride thinking heavier = more expensive when it was proven to be false when the massive dress was $1000 less than the ~cheap dress she put on before.

Why have a wedding planner when you're eloping? What is there to plan? Your dinner reservation for two? Oh wait that was in their hotel room... the rehearsal dinner reservation? 

Coco sure didn't seem to love being swallowed up by tulle. Stop.torturing.tiny.dogs.

Not to mention it looked like they actually got married in New Orleans before they went to Paris. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Toaster Strudel said:

I enjoyed today's episode. The brides were enthusiastic. Sure the dog thing was really stupid and "Doga"provoked a huge eye roll, but what can I say, the variety of dresses made up for it. That 19K ombré pink dress was magnificent, and Randi's blue dress with that veil, wow, took my breath away. I'm with everyone else on the pasties, they are too crisply defined for my taste, but everything else is delicious. I felt sorry for Randi having to do dog couture, that's pretty humiliating, but if he charged her $1500 it's probably worth living with the shame.

I wasn't keen on Paris bride's final choice, it was meh for me. The lace was odd and the skirt charmless.

The Randy pasties are unforgivable.  They (Say Yes to the Dress) must have promised to pay for the dress, family reactions and REALLY OVERDONE veil to top the whole thing off!)  All I could see with this entire ensemble is: THIS WOULD BE PERFECT FOR "MY (Super, super tacky) GYPSY WEDDING"!!!

• Love 7
5 hours ago, camom said:

I love dogs, but hate when people use them as accessories.  I know people who say their dogs love getting dressed up, but I frankly don't believe them.  That woman's husband is going to play second fiddle to the dog.

I agree with those who don't like Randy's blue dress.  Pasties indeed.

You see, THIS is why I'm a cat person. <wink>

My cats are the most friendly, docile kitties around, but if I ever tried to put clothes (never mind a wig) on any of them I suspect I'd be in danger of losing a limb. Most cats have far too much dignity to allow themselves to be dressed up and paraded around as accessories by their owners. "Hell to the no you're putting that on me! I have ONE outfit - it's called FUR - and it's absolutely perfect for every occasion. Deal!" Very few cats would subject themselves to that level of embarrassment just to cater to the whims of their human.

My cat, Nicodemus, watched the episode with me, and I swear I heard him chuckle when Coco and Mabel appeared...he got up and left the room when they showed Coco's closet full of clothing and wigs.

TLC, I'll continue to watch SYTTD, but I think Nicodemus is out!

• Love 13
8 hours ago, camom said:

I know people who say their dogs love getting dressed up...

And they know that how?  The dog runs to the closet and points to an outfit?  Drags them into a dress shop when out walking?

People have got to stop anthropomorphizing animals.  It's just stupid.  Animals love their owners and the food, shelter, and toys.  They tolerate everything else that an owner forces on them.

And Randy should be ashamed of that awful blue dress.  I expected so much more of him.  How disappointing.

• Love 10

Count me in on hating the pasties on the blue dress.  The skirt part is actually pretty (too much for my taste, but it was pretty).  If the top of it had real material rather than pasties it could be a nice dress (over the top for me, but still pretty).  I wonder if the show gave them the dress for little money as an advertisement.   Also, I kept waiting for Coco to bite someone. She was not happy and people should not use a dog (or a kid) as an accessory.  

The Paris bride had been there twice before and decided it was the perfect place to get married (after her New Orleans wedding), even though her groom had never been there.   I can't imagine saying "we're getting married in Paris because I want to" and the groom saying "whatever you want dear."  

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Lisa418722 said:

The Paris bride had been there twice before and decided it was the perfect place to get married (after her New Orleans wedding), even though her groom had never been there.   I can't imagine saying "we're getting married in Paris because I want to" and the groom saying "whatever you want dear."  

That is very hard to imagine. But what she really said was ‘let’s get married in New Orleans. Then I can go on TV and get a different dress that I can wear while we pretend to get married again on our honeymoon in Paris.’

edited to add - I agree that the dog bride was given the blue pasties dress cheap as a plug for Randy. I noticed it was the only dress they didn’t give a price for. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 2

Yeah, it was a little suspicious when the entire bridal party loved the blue dress.  Of course, maybe they were told off-camera that it was Randy's design and didn't want to offend him, but more likely, as was mentioned above, she got the dress for free.  A great PR segment for Randy's designs.  I actually liked the bottom of it.  I don't know what Randy was thinking with the pasties.

And count me in with those who hate it when dogs are dressed up.  I had to fast-forward through much of that.  Imagine being a dog and being wrapped up in fancy clothes 24-7.  They looked so miserable.

With the "two weddings" thing for Paris Bride: I have found that is actually pretty common for couples doing destination weddings. For one reason, they usually need to get married in their home country for it to be legal, which I have seen this a few times. This is usually just the legal part, but couples that I know don't count it as their Wedding/anniversary. The other reason is also nice for them to have a party/wedding for the family and friends who can't make it to their destination (again, something that I have seen for almost all destination weddings). 

I thought Paris Bride's dress was lovely, and I am not sure why anyone would ever want it unlined. Their wedding was different, but almost all destination weddings "involve the public". A lot of beach weddings take place in the open, with other hotel guests watching from their balconies. My sister's wedding was at a local resort and while it as "private" it was on hotel property so other guests could be watching from their rooms or from the resort itself. 

Randy's Blue Dress needed more detail to bring together the top of the dress with the bottom. It looks unfinished and something that would probably get someone sent home on Project Runway. 

The "Doga" concept is weird, but I have seen Bunny Yoga and Cat Yoga where the bunnies and cats just wonder around while people are doing yoga. There is also Baby Yoga now where parents involve their babies in the poses/get their babies to pose. So Dog Yoga isn't so out of the ordinary. I just would never call it "Doga". 

Whatever happened to having your wedding near home with friends and family-as big and splashy as you want-then going to Paris for your HONEYMOON? Take your gown along if you want to be photographed in it. Even take your Wedding Planner if you can’t make a couple of reservations and dress yourself. I thought the same thing about the Glacier Bride. 

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Whatever happened to having your wedding near home with friends and family-as big and splashy as you want-then going to Paris for your HONEYMOON? Take your gown along if you want to be photographed in it. Even take your Wedding Planner if you can’t make a couple of reservations and dress yourself. I thought the same thing about the Glacier Bride. 

This might be cheaper, instead of having a big wedding + honeymoon, you have a "vacation" plus a small get together with friends/family. I think weddings really shouldn't be about the family, but about what the couple wants. Especially if the  bride and groom are paying for it -- they are free to do whatever. It may suck to be excluded from their wedding, but IMO it's selfish to think that they are required to include you in it. 

• Love 1

I didn't care for that blue Randy dress, but they did say the price it was around 4500.00.  The blond bride was much better than the doggie bride, that's for sure.  A 10,000 dress for a wedding in a public place in Paris, well, I hope the store paid for it is all I will say. (She seemed like a brat, but at least she wasn't "mental" like the doggie bride.)  All in all a pretty good episode after all.  Randy honey, you are great, but don't allow your brides to wear a stripper top. I thought that dress was just a little too blue, should have been paler. Cover up the boobs, and make it lighter and that dress was to die for.  

15 hours ago, laredhead said:

I don't understand paying $9,000 for a dress and then getting married in the middle of a public area without family and friends.  It was a pretty dress, but what a waste of money - IMVHO.  My son and daughter in-law flew to the Virgin Islands to get married and spend a week there on their honeymoon, and our gift to them was the money to pay for the trip.  We couldn't afford to go and give them the trip as well, but they didn't want a big wedding so that was their solution.  My DIL paid $100 for a very pretty, simple long sheath dress for their beach wedding.  I wonder if that bride paid for her dress herself?  I guess the friends and her sister got TV time in return for not going to Paris.

I am enjoying the show that follows SYTTD, SOS Save our Wedding or something like that.  I like George and he gives some good tips on make overs and style.    

It wasn't even a valid marriage!  What the heck was that about?  Standing on the sidewalk with a wedding planner performing the 'ceremony' isn't a legal wedding in France.  Getting married in France requires a civil ceremony, conducted by a government official at City Hall, kind of like going to the justice of the peace here in the US.  Then, couples who want a religious ceremony, would have that at a church or wherever with a minister.  I guess even couples who aren't religious could have some sort of ceremony in front of friends, but that's not the part that makes it legal in France and why would anyone do it without having any guests present?  I suspect that SYTTD asks prospective brides to give them information about their wedding and this ninny decided that having a pretend wedding in Paris was a good hook to get on the show.

I thought the bride's dress had some really pretty detailing, but someone should tell her that, if she's going to bleach her hair, she really should lighten her eyebrows.  I found it very distracting, her eyebrows made her look like Groucho Marx and called attention to her less than tiny nose, to boot.

As noted above, I think the whole storyline was bogus.  They had a legal wedding in New Orleans along with a reception and then went to Paris and faked it for the cameras.  I have no idea how the 'wedding planner' figured in.  Standing in public and pretending to conduct a wedding ceremony really doesn't take much planning.

For an example of weddings in France and Italy, refer to George Clooney's wedding in Venice.  They had a marriage ceremony in a hotel in front of their guests followed by the reception, and, then, the following day, George and Amal went to city hall there and had the civil ceremony that validated the marriage.

The idiot with the dog  annoyed the heck out of me.  I love dogs, have two of them and, while I've been known to put a hat or a scarf or even a Halloween costume on them, I don't pretend that the dog likes it and I certainly don't act like they are fashion accessories for me like shoes or a purse.  It's no wonder Coco was surly.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, HighHopes said:

Randy's Blue Dress needed more detail to bring together the top of the dress with the bottom. It looks unfinished and something that would probably get someone sent home on Project Runway. 

Hated that dress.  No matter how tasteless a wedding dress is, it seems there is always someone who wants to wear it.

1 hour ago, HighHopes said:

This might be cheaper, instead of having a big wedding + honeymoon, you have a "vacation" plus a small get together with friends/family. I think weddings really shouldn't be about the family, but about what the couple wants. Especially if the  bride and groom are paying for it -- they are free to do whatever. It may suck to be excluded from their wedding, but IMO it's selfish to think that they are required to include you in it. 

The bride had a $10,000 budget for a dress to wear to a fake wedding ceremony with no guests; I don't think saving money was the reason.  I do agree that the couple getting married get to decide how to do it and who gets to be there.  

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

It wasn't even a valid marriage!  What the heck was that about?  Standing on the sidewalk with a wedding planner performing the 'ceremony' isn't a legal wedding in France.  Getting married in France requires a civil ceremony, conducted by a government official at City Hall, kind of like going to the justice of the peace here in the US.  Then, couples who want a religious ceremony, would have that at a church or wherever with a minister.  I guess even couples who aren't religious could have some sort of ceremony in front of friends, but that's not the part that makes it legal in France and why would anyone do it without having any guests present?  I suspect that SYTTD asks prospective brides to give them information about their wedding and this ninny decided that the wedding in Paris was a good hook to get on the show, and that was the whole reason for the ridiculous display; the whole point was to get on TV.

For an example of weddings in France and Italy, refer to George Clooney's wedding in Venice.  They had a marriage ceremony in a hotel in front of their guests followed by the reception, and, then, the following day, George and Amal went to city hall there and had the civil ceremony that validated the marriage.

They didn’t need a legal marriage. They already got married at a wedding in New Orleans. Paris was so the spoilled brat could spend 10k on another dress (you could see there was a different wedding dress in the first wedding) and be on TV. That was their honeymoon. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

They didn’t need a legal marriage. They already got married at a wedding in New Orleans. Paris was so the spoilled brat could spend 10k on another dress (you could see there was a different wedding dress in the first wedding) and be on TV. That was their honeymoon. 

Yeah, I know.  I was pointing out that they clearly got married someplace else and, since we were treated to the sight of the bride in a wedding dress at her reception in New Orleans, it was probably there and the whole 'wedding in Paris' was an excuse to be featured on the show.

While I support people's rights to get married to whom they choose, where they choose, and in front of whom they chose, in the last couple of years, we've had the couple who eloped to a wedding at a golf course with 20 or so of their friends, but not the bride's children; the couple that eloped to a glacier with only a film crew and this couple who eloped to Paris with a film crew and a wedding planner in attendance. Did none of them understand the part about doing it secretly? Or is elope being used as an excuse for something else, like, "I don't want you at my wedding," or "I don't want to spend money on a big reception (even though I'm buying a dress that costs several thousand dollars)"? 

Edited by rur
  • Love 4
Just now, rur said:

While I support people's rights to get married to whom they choose, where they choose, and in front of whom they chose, in the last couple of years, we've had the couple who eloped to a wedding at a golf course with 20 or so of their friends, but not the bride's children; the couple that eloped to a glacier with only a film crew and this couple who eloped to Paris with a film crew and a wedding planner in attendance. Did none of them understand the part about doing it secretly? Or is elope being used as an excuse for something else, like, "I don't want you at my wedding," or "I don't want to spend money on a reception (even though I'm buying a dress that costs several thousand dollars"? 

There seem to be quite a few people on the show who do not know the meaning of 'elope' and confuse it with 'destination wedding'.  My sister 'eloped'.  She and her fiancé drove to a town about 25 miles from where they lived and went to the courthouse.  Other than their 2 best friends who were witnesses, no one else knew until later.  That is an elopement.  They were still in their teens and both sets of parents thought they were too young, hence they decided to pull the trigger and do it without the family.  They're still married almost 43 years later, so I think my parents got over it.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, rur said:

Did none of them understand the part about doing it secretly? Or is elope being used as an excuse for something else, like, "I don't want you at my wedding," or "I don't want to spend money on a big reception (even though I'm buying a dress that costs several thousand dollars)"? 

You have my vote.

• Love 2

I wonder if Paris bride calls it an elopement because their wedding was smaller and intimate. So many people think the only ‘real’ wedding is the overblown stuff we see these days. Maybe it didn’t occur to her that the beautiful wedding and dinner reception we saw is actually a real wedding that lots of people would love to have. Maybe it wasn’t fancy enough for her to see the difference between that and going to the courthouse to have the legal ceremony so she thinks she really did elope to Paris. 

How can you "elope" when you're already married? I've seen it done the other way, a couple gets secretly (or at least privately) married, then later they have another ceremony/reception for family and friends. Paris Bride had a full wedding and reception (presumably wearing a non-Kleinfeld's gown) in New Orleans then she went to Paris to stage a "fake" wedding which amounted to a photo shoot with the Eiffel Tower in the background. And just how long was she wearing that $ 10K dress? Did she at least keep it on to go out to dinner? I think TLC was just looking for an excuse to send a camera crew to Paris and this bride was more than willing to go along with the idea (even if she paid for the dress herself). I would be more forgiving if she had worn the Kleinfeld dress for both venues. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

The definition of "elope" is to run away secretly.  Hardly appropriate use of the word when you have spread the news via a TV appearance.  It was an attention-grab and nothing more.

Oh I agree. I just think some of these ‘we eloped’ brides really think that any kind of event that cost less than 50k and doesn’t take place in their home town is an elopement. 

That blue gown by Randy was just too much everything.  The two pasties looked like someone took two big spit balls and threw them at the boobs.  

Why do so many brides today want to look sexy on their wedding day?   She’s already captured the man, so why do they have to look like Sidewalk Sadie’s on their wedding day?  

• Love 6

We had a destination wedding BECAUSE we didn’t want a huge wedding. We both have large, complicated families and I’ve seen enough weddings get crazy, with extended family, children, people the bride and groom have met maybe twice; feelings always get hurt somehow and the couple ends up compromising to keep the peace. We decided to keep it simple and sent invitations to EVERYONE stating we’d be getting married in a village in Greece and everyone was welcome if they wanted to come. 

Our closest friends and family saw it as an opportunity to have their own European adventures, we had 21 guests, and even with our flights, the entire three-day event cost us less than getting married at home. No one was hurt or overlooked, and we got a built-in honeymoon! It was perfection. 

• Love 5

Free Coco! That poor dog.

As for the other bride, I don’t get the whole Paris thing. Basically she had a small wedding in the US and a honeymoon in Paris and the dress was just bought for the pictures which seems a huge waste of money, especially since none of her friends or family were in them. If she had to have pictures in Paris, this would be an excellent time to rent a dress.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

Free Coco! That poor dog.

As for the other bride, I don’t get the whole Paris thing. Basically she had a small wedding in the US and a honeymoon in Paris and the dress was just bought for the pictures which seems a huge waste of money, especially since none of her friends or family were in them. If she had to have pictures in Paris, this would be an excellent time to rent a dress.

Yes, but she couldn't get the dress shopping and fake wedding on TV unless she bought a gown.  I don't think Paris was the reason behind the dress purchase; it was getting the chance to be on teevee!

• Love 3
On 2/3/2018 at 9:09 PM, laredhead said:

Say Yes: Wedding SOS now has its own forum

• Love 2

That blue dress of Randy's is horrendous.  The bride's mother called one of the first dresses she tried on too promiscuous  because it was low cut but she loves!! a dress whose upper half is basically two pasties?  That makes absolutely no sense (not that anything on this show makes sense.) That dress actually makes Pnina's stuff look modest in comparison.

• Love 8

I wonder if she actually bought that dress, I would think hard, and say, hey, let me see some more tomorrow, cancel that order GIRL.  I would lose it too with the cameras and the fact that Randy wanted me to have it. Or line that sucker, then it would be okay, right? 

And why does it have to be BLUE? What's wrong with a white dress that you could order in blue or another color if you wanted? I thought the veil was the worst, it looked like the window curtain I used to "play bride" with when I was seven. 

• Love 3