Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The biggest loser bride looked the best in the dress Jillian liked. That Pnina looked awful on her. I think she has gained a more than a few pounds back since she left the show.  Surprise bride and groom had only known each other for 8 months. I hope it works out for them.

• Love 1

I liked the dress Jillian picked also, it was the typical strapless that everyone seems to like now, more like a traditional wedding gown.
On the woman who'd just gotten engaged, I'm glad she didn't pick one.
I think the offer was well-intentioned, but let her think about what she wants, and buy the bride magazines.

• Love 2

I second the dress that Jillian picked. The ruching in the dress she picked actually highlighted her pooch, rather than hide it. 

The surprise bride, I thought the groom had a nice idea, because she loves the show, but engaged to dress shopping on the same day? Not so much. I didn't have a problem with the 8 months thing. I got engaged 2 months after my husband and I met and we have been married for 32 years. 

I don't watch Biggest Loser so only know Jillian Michaels from the odd infomercial. It is nice that she offered to pay for the dress since she is rich. I wonder if they really are friends or friends-because-I-have-something-to-promote friends.

Didn't this show have an engaged then buy story before? Or was a a girl coming in to play dress up and he proposed at the store?

(I just asked for a Something Borrowed, Something New forum. Hope I did it right)

Edited by millk
  • Love 3

I don't watch Biggest Loser so only know Jillian Michaels from the odd infomercial. It is nice that she offered to pay for the dress since she is rich. I wonder if they really are friends or friends-because-I-have-something-to-promote friends.

Didn't this show have an engaged then buy story before? Or was a a girl coming in to play dress up and he proposed at the store?

(I just asked for a Something Borrowed, Something New forum. Hope I did it right)

Supposedly, Jillian does stay in touch with a few of these people long after the show ends, so it seems plausible. And I do remember an "engaged at the store" episode from a previous season, where the bride came to the store to play. That did not strike me as real, however. (And your forum request was just fine.)

• Love 1

I can't stand Jillian Michaels and was very sad to see her on SYTTD; it was nothing more than another attempt at image rehabilitation for her. (I wonder if her agent knows Courtney Robertson's agent, for instance.) I enjoy watching SYTTD, but the consultant insisting that Michaels's interaction with the bride was the "most touching" she'd seen in twenty years was a crock. REALLY? I can name several that had me tearing up as I watched, and none of them involved a celebrity.

I really wish SYTTD would stop it with the "celebrities". Seriously.

• Love 1

I was so disappointed in the first show of the new season. The thing I've always liked about this show is that there is very little manufactured drama (unlike the Atlanta show). It always seemed to be about the dress but this episode was so scripted with very little time spent on the actual dresses. I FF through most of it. I could care less about Jillian Michael's or the guy proposing to his girlfriend and whisking her away to pick out her dress...hey bub, how about picking a date and a venue first? I certainly hope the producers footed the bill for the aunt and friends to fly in. What a major fail... But good for the bride for putting a stop to it. One hour and we saw, what, 4-5 dresses???

I swear this show started to go downhill when they had on the Duggars for the vow renewal. I'm surprise Randy would want to be a part of that homophobic circus.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can get back to showing dresses and not "celebrities".

• Love 4
the consultant insisting that Michaels's interaction with the bride was the "most touching" she'd seen in twenty years was a crock. REALLY? I can name several that had me tearing up as I watched, and none of them involved a celebrity.

Say, the one where the same consultant found a dress for the daughter of her best friend who died of cancer.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

For surprise bride, it would have been nice for the two consultants to hold back from barging into the engagement until the bride got off the phone with whoever she was sharing her news with. I felt so sorry for Tumi's friend--did she get to say one word after Jillian took over the appointment?

Please no more dumb drama episodes. WE JUST WANT TO SEE PRETTY DRESSES.

Edited by Tess23
  • Love 4
The surprise bride, I thought the groom had a nice idea, because she loves the show, but engaged to dress shopping on the same day? Not so much.

I would have been thrilled with a fun shopping day if it was me! Nobody said she had to buy anything. Jeez.

I still cannot understand all the brides who get totally "overwhelmed" and "exhausted" and "confused" and "miserable" after trying on 3-5 damned dresses! I suppose it's all part of the (neurotic) reason so many of them go to K's in the first place -- being unrealistically fixated on having the perfect wedding experience. After all, it's their day. The only important one they'll have in their entire lives! Better spend $30K and wreck themselves making sure it's everything they've ever wanted.

• Love 4

I would have been thrilled with a fun shopping day if it was me! Nobody said she had to buy anything. Jeez.

Some people would and it is great that he set it all up and no, she didn't have to buy but we've had shows where there have been brides playing dress up and they don't like that waste of time. Of course it was all set up for the show anyway. I doubt anyone could set that up just because.

I was so disappointed in the first show of the new season. The thing I've always liked about this show is that there is very little manufactured drama (unlike the Atlanta show). It always seemed to be about the dress but this episode was so scripted with very little time spent on the actual dresses. I FF through most of it. I could care less about Jillian Michael's or the guy proposing to his girlfriend and whisking her away to pick out her dress...

Hear, hear. I can't stand Jillian Michaels and her sanctimonious crap, will never watch Biggest Loser, and hated this stupid crossover drama bullshit episode. More dresses, less manufactured drama!

• Love 1

I like Jillian a lot after listening to her podcasts, so I enjoyed seeing her here and thought it was pretty generous of her to offer to buy the dress. I thought she and Tumi were cute, and Tumi seemed genuinely glad she was there.

As for the surprise bride, it seemed like a plan with good intentions but not very practical. I am engaged, and refuse to look at dresses until I pick a time of year, location and venue, just because what might work at a beach wedding will not work at a winter wedding. It just seemed like too much all at once, and I wonder if she was thrown even more off guard because she was only dating her fiancé for 8 months. Just speculation, but it seemed very overwhelming.

• Love 1

OK, I'm done.  Call me when the "strapless and skin tight to the knees with an exploding bottom" look is over. I am sick to death of it.  They all blather about wanting a "one of a kind, unique fashion-forward, classic dress" and every one of them chooses that horrible silhouette.  Enough already.

You really want classic?  Look at Princess Kate or Princess Grace. Now those are classy AND classic.  Stripper Fairy will NEVER be classic in any sense of the word.

• Love 9

The dress that Mark Zunino designed for Courtney (QVC) is not the dress she wore at her wedding. (Also his design.) I think the SYTTD episode was a fraud. She ended up in a short dress covered with a long tulle skirt that could be removed for the reception. Can you say Publicity?????

• Love 1

I didn't catch the name of the NFL player who's engaged to Whitney, but he needs to RUN. She is going to spend every last bit of his money. At the very least, dude, make sure you have one checking account that is in your name only.

As an NFL *free agent* (translation: probably headed for a non-game career soon), he'd better plan to have two or three high-paying jobs to keep up. Sheesh. Who creates these entitled little twits?

• Love 1

Mr. Free Agent and his free loader bride won't last a year.  I bet she's spent every cent he has and will kick him to the side of the road when he's no loner a "celebrity".  What a blood sucking witch.

• Love 1

Ugh - Whytnee (barf) was so annoying. Her fiancé looked like he was in shock the whole time. I don't know what is wrong with the guys that want to marry women like this. I looked up here fiancé and he was released back in 2013 and looks like no other team picked him up. Shocker.

I googled her and saw some of their wedding pics. Looks like she only wore the heinous Pnina for the whole wedding - no second reception dress.

I loved the pink dress. It was perfect for a second wedding...or even a first wedding.

Edited by Chellichik

Just saw a bit of an episode with a woman who was marrying a NY Yankee, and she brought Yankee wives to her appointment! Gross! They turned their noses up at her dress choices, and Randy says something like, "the bride has to wear a blinged out dress because all the Yankee wives are wearing blinged out dresses to her wedding!" Ugh. What a sad, horrible life this woman is going to lead. I wonder if her fiance is even still a Yankee.

• Love 3

I, too, was one screaming "Run!  Run as fast as you can!" to Ricardo Silva when Miss Thang announced she needed two dresses, but I knew he wouldn't listen.  Who knows why someone is drawn to someone else?  She wasn't even that cute; not nearly as cute as she thought she was, anyway.  Though it seems he is happy being a teacher now and is making a success of it.  Good on him!  I wonder how Miss Thang feels about being the wife of a lowly $51K teacher at a disadvantaged school rather than a glamorous football player?

• Love 1
I googled her and saw some of their wedding pics. Looks like she only wore the heinous Pnina for the whole wedding - no second reception dress.

Not sure why it bothers me given the whole transparent stripper fairly dress itself, but girl? Roll down the waistband of your panties when trying it on! Seeing her black underwear through the dress was embarrassing.

Sigh. Maybe these brides need to pop out of a cake and parade down the aisle in a white lace g-string and pasties. Is that sexy enough for you?

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 5

Just saw a bit of an episode with a woman who was marrying a NY Yankee, and she brought Yankee wives to her appointment! Gross! They turned their noses up at her dress choices, …. What a sad, horrible life this woman is going to lead. I wonder if her fiance is even still a Yankee.

I remember that episode because I always felt a little sorry for her (Syndal). I thought she was quite pretty, but a little naive when she talked about how people looked up to Yankee wives for their sense of style, although I now suspect that might have been scripted. I also thought she was bullied into picking the blingier dress, since I thought the one she originally liked was much more attractive. 

By the time she got married, her husband was no longer a Yankee. Apparently they're still married, but he's a free agent and has been with quite a few teams. His Wikipedia entry is here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Gaudin. The "Personal Life" section mentions his marriage to Syndal. 

Edited by rur
  I'm with a lot of the moms, I don't think "sex kitten" and wedding ceremony belong together.I'm old.

Ditto.  Sexy is for the wedding night with the g-string night ware.  But since so many kids live together before marriage (and there have to be VERY few virgins) I guess that night is just like any other one.  

And since this is the "all about me" generation, they don't care one bit about how embarrassing or uncomfortable it is for the guests to see them in skin tight, skin revealing, see through stripper dresses.  I think it's disgusting.  I don't need to know that much about anyone. Next thing you know the grooms will be wearing mesh shirts so we can all see their attributes.

• Love 3

None of them are thinking about what those wedding pictures are going to look like in 20 years.  The woman on last night's episode who had the Bob Mackie dress 20 years ago is the perfect example.  The words "timeless" and "stylish" don't seem to be in many young bride's vocabularies.  I still have trouble rationalizing spending thousands on a dress that will be worn once for a few hours.  Obviously the young woman who spent $14,000 on a dress her mother never saw came from a family with money, since her mother stated the young woman had come into New York City from the Hamptons to buy the dress one day.  Nevertheless, that is a lot of money to spend on a dress. 

• Love 3

I really didn't think the Hampton's woman's dress fit her very well. She was, of course, a size zero but it kind of bunched around the waist and was another semi-stripper fairy dress.

The woman who brought her conservative mother in knew that she was never going to approve of a sexy dress and of course, that's all she tried on. I think her mom was the get out of Klienfelds free card but have your 15 minutes of TV fame.

I sure didn't understand the Bob Mackie woman wanting a princess dress at her age. If there ever was a PSA for not sunbathing she was it. She and her mom looked to be the same age.

• Love 3
I sure didn't understand the Bob Mackie woman wanting a princess dress at her age. If there ever was a PSA for not sunbathing she was it. She and her mom looked to be the same age.

And it didn't help that none of them except the mom seemed to own a hair brush.

I just think that whole "huge white dress for a second wedding" thing is just so stupid.  You're not a tender young virgin, for Pete's sake.  You have teenage kids.  Get something age appropriate.

• Love 4

But, you know, Bob Mackie. The woman walked down the aisle in a designer whose most famous clients were Carol Burnett, Cher and Barbie. I have to think lookitme has pretty much always trumped appropriate in her world.

• Love 1

None of them are thinking about what those wedding pictures are going to look like in 20 years.  The woman on last night's episode who had the Bob Mackie dress 20 years ago is the perfect example.  The words "timeless" and "stylish" don't seem to be in many young bride's vocabularies.  I still have trouble rationalizing spending thousands on a dress that will be worn once for a few hours.  Obviously the young woman who spent $14,000 on a dress her mother never saw came from a family with money, since her mother stated the young woman had come into New York City from the Hamptons to buy the dress one day.  Nevertheless, that is a lot of money to spend on a dress. 

Yes she was from a very weathly family. They also stated she met her groom in Martha's Vineyard, another playground for the rich!

$13,000 for a dress you wear once! Holy moly.

And the old bride, former Bob Mackie- I agree the big princess dress for a second wedding when you are over 50 is absurd! Her mom knew she looked bad in that style. I agreed with the mom.

What about the one who was a Big Fashion Buyer for Big Luxury Fashion? Whatever bitch! If you actually knew anything about fashion, you could pick a dress! You are so worried that you spend your time critiquing clothing that other people are going to critique every little thing YOU wear? Newsflash: no one gives a flying hoot what your wedding dress looks like. Pick something white and you're done. She was too much!

• Love 2

Saw the one with the Hampton bride who went into NYC to pick out her gown, I have to say she looked stunning. We were watching and finally figured out who she resembled- a brunette Marilyn Monroe. Usually I hate on someone who has 13K to spend on a dress, and looks like her; but I just can't. Although she was very petite, she had a tiny waist- that's what is in my mind curvy; not these obese girls stuffing themselves into a strapless gown. The second wedding bride- could'nt even watch that mess, don't these people realize how foolish they are?  

I do need to defend 2nd time brides wearing "real" wedding gowns here.  I was married once for 23 months.  It was never a true marriage.  From day 1 I still felt single.  I waited 10 years after our divorce to remarry.  Because I felt like this one was my REAL marriage and the other didn't count I wore a nice CONSERVATIVE white a-line gown with beaded bodice. AND a veil.  I really meant it this time and I looked at it that way.  I have no problem with ANY bride of ANY age wearing a white gown and veil.  It just makes you feel more like a bride which is how you should feel any time you get married.  

However, age and figure flattering is key.  I definitely chose both.  I was 37 and a bit chubby.  I did NOT think sexy was supposed to be a part of it.  I already had my man so why would I have wanted others to drool over me?  I wanted to look and feel beautiful.  I didn't care if anyone but my husband thought I was sexy.  It was my wedding...NOT a meat market!

Am I the only one who really hates the look of veils being worn way on the back of the head rather than on top?  You can barely see them so what's the point?  That just doesn't appeal to me at all.

• Love 2

For the surprize bride, my immediate thought was ... what's the budget? Is she expected to pay for it, minimum $2,000? Is he paying for it and she'll be told that they have $5,000 to work with? When they didn't get into budgets, I knew it was for fun and show. The last dress she tried on looked lovely though.

I also found that in the talking heads, she pushes him away, telling him he has to leave. Then she's talking about dresses with him there. They didn't catch that in time to fix it.

When I was in my late teens, I subscribed for a year to "Bride"  and "Modern Bride" magazines. If I recall, in each issue there was a page devoted to educating young women about bridal gowns. It described silhouettes, fabric types, trims, embellishments, and types of lace. (Not to mention what is appropriate for the time of year, time of day the wedding is being held, and the formality of the wedding)

Do those magazines still include that information? If they do, is the issue young women aren't reading it? Or have weddings become such a free-for-all brides have an "anything goes" mentality, which allows them to abdicate themselves from any resposibility to have to learn anything that would help them and their consultants find the dress of their dreams?

I have to admit I am shocked at what I see and hear when these young women are shopping for gowns. It seems every episode at least one bride says "I don't like this material" and it's obvious she not only doesn't know what the "material" is, but also whether it's worth the price of the gown. Not to mention, if a bride can't even accurately describe the silhouette she wants, how in the world can she tell the consultant what types of fabric, lace, embellishments and trims she prefers?

I'd be willing to bet most of them have no clue as to whether they've just plunked down a few thousand dollars for a polyester gown embellished with cheap plastic rhinestones (glued, not sewn) and crappy machine-made polyester lace - or a silk gown embellished with hand-sewn Swarovski crystals and hand made Alençon or Chantilly. (Although I suspect most often it's the former, and they are overpaying for what is essentially shoddy materials and workmanship).*

These women don't even know the difference between a "strap" and a "sleeve"!!!

Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine spending that kind of money and having no idea what I'm getting. It's going to come as quite a shock when these women have their gowns cleaned and preserved after the wedding, in the hope they can pass it along to a daughter or grandaughter to wear. When they finally open the box decades from now they may discover their expensive dress has fallen apart because it was made of cheap goods to begin with.

<Edited to add yet another thought>

I believe I also remember those bridal magazines advising brides to take the undergarments and shoes with the same heel height they plan to wear at their wedding with them to their appointments when trying on dresses. So many of these brides discard dresses that might otherwise be flattering if they were wearing the right undergarments. Spanx or long-line bustier-type bras can do wonders, and heels (or lack thereof) completely change your posture (and fit of the dress).

*Just to be clear, I understand many women cannot afford to spend thousands on their wedding gowns. There are certainly many beautiful, quality gowns offered at much lower prices. I'm objecting to women paying thousands of dollars for a gown they think is quality just because it's expensive.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 7

Persia wins for the worst vocal frye I've ever heard and I'm including the Kardashian's. Why would anyone want to spend the rest of your life with that voice? "You have to find the dress" repeated over and over. I'm sure it was all a big set up and they hide the dress in Pinnia's office. "We came all the way from Caliii". Seriously?

I'm fast losing faith with this show although the NFL brothers were adorable and I enjoyed that story. The rest of the stories not so much ("OMG it has a flower on it...I'm going to dieeeee"). Puhlezeee.

• Love 5

The brothers were adorable. I loved how they carried the whole mannequin, dress and all, to the dressing room. I felt as though the dress the bride ultimately picked gave her no waist. It seemed to come up below her bust and fan out into tulle. I wouldn't have picked it for her. Ultimately, her brothers know next to nothing about fashion so she shouldn't have gone to them first to get an opinion -- they started crying, then they all started crying, then it was the dress to say yes to. I'm sure she could have found something more flattering; maybe a Lazaro?

Persia wins for the worst vocal frye I've ever heard and I'm including the Kardashian's. Why would anyone want to spend the rest of your life with that voice? "You have to find the dress" repeated over and over. I'm sure it was all a big set up and they hide the dress in Pinnia's office. "We came all the way from Caliii". Seriously?

I'm fast losing faith with this show although the NFL brothers were adorable and I enjoyed that story. The rest of the stories not so much ("OMG it has a flower on it...I'm going to dieeeee"). Puhlezeee.

Is it just me, but if I'm flying across the country for one dress in particular, I'd call ahead and make sure it's there ...

Edited by glow
  • Love 4
Is it just me, but if I'm flying across the country for one dress in particular, I'd call ahead and make sure it's there ...

Yes, but first of all that shows common sense which is sorely lacking in this group of immature TV star wannabes.  Second, if she did that there wouldn't be any manufactured drama since we all know that monstrosity was there all along.

She was a spoiled brat ("I don't care how much it costs, I want it".) and when she looks at the pictures in 20 years (probably on her second on third husband by then) I hope she's shocked at how trashy you can look in a dress that costs as much as car.

• Love 3

I also adored the Jones' brothers. What a contrast between that family and Persia's--Thomas and Julius wanted to buy Katrice her dress because they love her, not because she's a spoiled brat who will make their life miserable. 

(Also, how does the veil cost half as much as the dress and more than Katrice's dress? Did unicorns make it?)

Edited by scrambled eggs
  • Love 7

I also want to add that the price they quote is for the dress only.  Those glitzy belts they sometimes add cost a lot as well as the fact that the veil is also extra.  Add alterations and that basic budget is gong to be busted very quickly.

Edited by laredhead
  • Love 1
I also adored the Jones' brothers. What a contrast between that family and Persia's--Thomas and Julius wanted to buy Katrice her dress because they love her

These brothers and sisters were the best they've had on this show in a long time. Everyone was happy for the bride and wanted to make sure she was happy. There was no drama, and they all clearly care more about each other than being on tv. I wish they'd have more of these families on more often.

• Love 6

I got the impression that Persia was a Kim Kartrashian wanna-be.  It gives me great joy that I thought her dream dress looked awful on her.

LOVED Katrice and brothers.  I thought her dress was quite plain, but can you imagine what a little jewelry will do?  She will be stunning!

• Love 2