Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

04-18-14 Episode:  I really liked the lace convertible dress, unfortunately for the bride it was double her parents' budget.  Honey, if you want something more than your parents are willing to spend, how about you pony up the rest of the cash, ok?

At least this wasn't an All-Pnina All-theTime episode.

• Love 3

I'm so tired of every wedding gown being strapless, both on this show and in real life, that I'm tempted to start carrying around sleeves and a stapler, or bolero jackets and forcing them on every bride I see!  Seriously!  What the heck did sleeves ever do to deserve this kind of treatment?

Plus, there are many, many women who should not be wearing strapless gowns.  Like, at all.  Yet all of them do.

• Love 6

Or a sweetheart neckline. That does not look good on everyone, yet it's become omnipresent.

It will be interesting to see what my 20-something niece eventually does, though it will likely be a while because she confided that her current beau isn't likely to be in the picture long-term. She's tall and busty, so she'd look good in just about anything. 

• Love 1

I think a lot of it is economics. Properly fitting sleeves is much more complicated than the assembly line sewing it takes to produce the ren faire corset dresses Pnina specializes in. Pnina does make dresses with sleeves, and both Pnina and Kleinfelds will add them to dresses for religious brides or just women who don't want to dress as if their prom might be interrupted by an emergency mammogram. Thing is, though, why would Kleinfelds put them on TV? You can afford to bedazzle a dress kind of a lot if you don't have to pay for construction.

If you go to their site, they have some gorgeous vintage-looking dresses (I think the ones from Temperley London are spectacular) but I don't think they make as much of a profit from them.

• Love 6

women who don't want to dress as if their prom might be interrupted by an emergency mammogram.

I am laughing so hard!

Busty 20-something niece is studying to be a mammography tech. I will have to share this with her.

• Love 2

That's some freaky coincidence right there.

I also almost burst out laughing at the "mammography" line.  Or, you know, maybe she thinks she might need to stop and breastfeed real quick.

It's annoying, and makes you sound like a narcissist who is more interested in putting on a show in which you are the star and center of attention, than solomnizing and celebrating a lifetime committment to your future husband in front of family and friends.

You mean . . . there's another purpose for a wedding?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

My uncle was the priest at our wedding, and he said in the sermon that if it was the happiest day of our lives, we'd know we failed.

I think of that when I see people spending the price of a house on a party and a pretty princess dress.

• Love 10
(edited)
Rhondinella, on 01 Jun 2014 - 8:23 PM, said:

You mean . . . there's another purpose for a wedding?

LOL!

Well yeah...although it seems the original intent has been co-opted by a bunch of selfish ninnies who, as I said earlier, think getting married is like being named "Queen for a Day"...."parting gifts" (the bigger and more expensive the better) included.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 1

May I get something off my chest?

#4. Please stop using the term "wow factor." It's annoying, and makes you sound like a narcissist who is more interested in putting on a show in which you are the star/center of attention, than solomnizing and celebrating a lifetime committment to your future husband with family and friends.

Thank you for listening. I feel MUCH better now. ;)

5.  UMPEER??????  EMPIRE guys, EMPIRE.  Umpeer is like saying Tarjay -- affectation only.  

I watched the first episode from Friday with the bride whose cousin was trying to keep her on budget while another entourage member was actively trying to torpedo the budget. WTH was up with the bride's eyebrows? Those were the oddest things I've ever seen. Were they tattooed or did she draw them like that every day? I was fixated on them whenever she was onscreen. The grew-up-in-a-children's-home bride was nice, though. I'm sure the editors used her as a counterpoint to the materialistic gang that could not imagine a dress that "only" cost $3000 could be worth wearing.

(edited)

OK, I need to add to the list of complaints.....

#6...Putting all brides, regardless of size and shape, into the horrific "fit and flare" or "mermaid" silhouette, usually with a "sweetheart" neckline. Kleinfeld's claims to be a professional salon...why can't the bride sit with the consultant and discuss body type and what would look the best on her, rather than talk about where she met her fiance? The brides come in deciding that they just have to be a mermaid...is this the next chapter of princess? Have we moved from Belle to Ariel? And a lot of them should get the hint when they are literally stuffed into the dress like sausage casing and can't breathe or walk.

Regardless, the dress shape is awful on a bride. For some reason, the shape looks OK on the red carpet (maybe because it's usually not white??). And I'm including the tall, skinny brides too. They look like walking whiskbrooms.....maybe this is the Fantasia  phase of the bridal trend??  They're going to look at those pictures  in 20 years, and say "WTF was I thinking?" Well, at least everyone will know that she got married in the early 2010s. They don't seem to sell anything else.

Edited to add........Princess Di is a prime example of this...her dress screamed "Early 80s / Dynasty (the show)-inspired". Laughable today and everyone knows it's an example of 80s excess. Kate Middleton, on the other hand, wore a classic dress, and not many people will remember the year by looking at it. It was much like Princess Grace's in the 50s. Another example of classic elegance is the Priscilla of Boston gown that the older Nixon girl wore in 1971. Timeless elegance....a bride could wear it today.

Edited by drafan
  • Love 4

LOL! I completely agree about mermaid style. I keep thinking they'd better have a good photographer, or some day their kids will be looking at the wedding album and ask "Mommy, why was your butt so big?" And that includes the tall, skinny ones. I am a hair shy of 5' 10", and I couldn't wear that style when I was in my 20s and underweight.

Also, sweetheart necklines are only consistently attractive on a certain range of bust sizes. They can make small women look flatter and busty women look like they're a pair of breasts with a woman attached. (There, I finally said it!) 

• Love 4

<snip>

Also, sweetheart necklines are only consistently attractive on a certain range of bust sizes. They can make small women look flatter and busty women look like they're a pair of breasts with a woman attached. (There, I finally said it!) 

Yes! I am going to be giggling about this for the rest of the day. "Pair of breasts with a woman attached"!!! LOL!!! (Oh, I should BE so lucky!)

• Love 2
(edited)

"Pair of breasts with a woman attached"!!! LOL!!! (Oh, I should BE so lucky!)

You're not missing anything, trust me. It's kind of like being stuck hanging out with a not-very-interesting friend while a stream of all the wrong people ignore you and try to buy her drinks. A girl could get a complex after a while if she didn't pass out from sheer boredom first.

Which sort of makes me wonder why folks want to make them the star of their wedding...

Edited by Julia
  • Love 5
You're not missing anything, trust me. It's kind of like being stuck hanging out with a not-very-interesting friend while a stream of all the wrong people ignore you and try to buy her drinks.

@Julia , can we be friends? :-)

Oh, my god.  I was watching a rerun from 2011(?) with the bride who spent $70,000.00 on custom Pninna dresses for her, her 3 daughters and her mother.  Is she insane and/or fabulously wealthy?  The dresses for the girls were sweet, but $4,500 for a toddler's dress????  And the bride's mother's dress looked horrid on her, way too fitted for her figure, and the brides own $30,000.00 dress looked like a sparkly, tight potato sack attached to a hooker's cheap corset.  WTF?

• Love 3

I always wonder what the fiances think when the woman they're marrying makes it clear that they need tens of thousands of dollars worth of dress to feel special on their wedding day. I figured the part where I was getting married and a bunch of people showed up to share it with me made it kind of a big deal.

• Love 5
(edited)

Iguana I remember that episode and ironically - sorry for the yuck factor - I had a stomach bug at the time and remember being sick through the entire thing.  I spent a few moments wondering if my issue was the show/episode or the virus!  On a positive note it did make me feel a little better about the $$ spent on my dress (which was under $500 and still felt like too much at the time!).

Julia I agree. I mean if you're rolling in money go for it I guess, but it seems to me there are so many better uses for that money even if you've got it around.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 1

Do we talk The Big Day here? Putting this here since Christy bought the dress at original recipe SYTTD. Who did she look like? And I didn't catch her age but did she not have at least 5 years on her 24 year old cutie groom?

I know I always ask myself what would Hillary Duff do when making big decisions.

• Love 1
(edited)

Apropos of The Big Day. What is the fascination with these fit and flare (or mermaid or whatever they call them) dresses? Hardly anyone looks good in them - how could you? I particularly dislike the type on this episode of The Big Day, where it's skin tight to a point around the knees, and then there's a line of demarcation where it splays out. That bride was tiny, and the dress wasn't that flattering on her! Now I've seen sheath dresses that bell out toward the bottom, and they can be nice. It's the extreme fit and flare look I'm talking. The transition between "fit" and "flare" is just too abrupt. But they sure seem popular on these shows.

Edited by peggy06

I kept thinking she was getting fatter and fatter each month they showed closer to the wedding. I knew the dress was not going to fit.  Then she says  I gained SIX POUNDS-- and the dress didn't fit. What a lie! She gained more like 12 pounds! She got huge. I guess she starved herself the last 3 weeks to get that thing on and they took some of it out.  Anyway she is an airhead. 

Their wedding was NOT unforgettable, special or memorable. It was in a hall. The "colors" of white, champagne and ivory were so boring - who is going to remember it? Everything just blended in to everything else. She wanted it to be so classy and elegant- it was dull and forgettable and like every other wedding. I was rather hoping for something a little more over the top than a regular ball room with the cheesy hotel carpet. Oh yeah she paid (rather her husband paid) $5000 to put sheets on the walls..didn't help it was still a boring reception hall. Also I have to laugh when these brides try to control that the bridesmaids match either other - matching tans, matching stockings, matching exact hair- no one notices! No one cares! I remember one bride all worry that the dyed shoes were going to go into a different dye lot and be slightly off. Like who is looking at the bridesmaids shoes or shade of their pantyhose? 

I actually really like the mermaid style. I think it really gives many women a nice hourglass shape. I'm just sick of seeing it.

Christie - I was surprised at how relatively modest her wedding seemed when they finally showed it. A nice wedding, but the kind of wedding a normal person could have. Also, where was her family? I constantly felt like she was doing tasks alone.

With her horrible 'my day, my way' attitude, I'm not surprised that there weren't any family members helping out. If anything, I'm surprised that the groom didn't bail before resigning himself to a lifetime of *that* behavior. God, what an awful person. And so very full of herself for no immediately discernible reason.

And on a completely catty note, her updo was hideous and certainly not helped by her shrieky desire to look more 'piecey!' (translation: drunken bedhead). Plus anyone with that much of a fivehead should just let the stylist do the best she can with her misshapen head and shut the fuck up. Hillary Duff, indeed.

• Love 2

Do we talk The Big Day here? Putting this here since Christy bought the dress at original recipe SYTTD. Who did she look like? And I didn't catch her age but did she not have at least 5 years on her 24 year old cutie groom?

I know I always ask myself what would Hillary Duff do when making big decisions.

So much well-deserved snark stored up overnight on this one. Starting with:

They'd been together for four years. He's 24. Cradle rob much, witch?

One of her stylist's many, many challenges: the thin, stringy mop on this woman's head. I haven't paid any attention to Hillary Duff or her hair recently, but I imagine she has twice as much of it as this self-absorbed twit.

Glitz and glam. Blech. From a "former professional cheerleader" marrying a professional baseball player. Well, since we all take our fashion cues from the Yankee wives.... (Throwback to another absurd SYTTD segment. I still barely know the Yankees and take pride in NOT knowing their wives.)

In the end, after all of that silliness, she ended up with a nice but not at all extraordinary event. In a banquet hall.

Glitz and Glam, my Aunt Betty. Yeesh.

• Love 1
(edited)

Felicity Porter:

I actually really like the mermaid style. I think it really gives many women a nice hourglass shape. I'm just sick of seeing it.

I mostly don't like when the bottom part and the top part have that definite line. It's accentuated because the material of the bottom is so different than the top. On the Atlanta episode last night, there was a bride who chose a figure-hugging dress with a skirt that gradually widened out, a modified A-line. That dress definitely gave her an hourglass figure. And it wasn't strapless! I thought it was lovely. But you're right, maybe it's the prevalence of these styles on these shows that gets to me. Plus, you do have to have the right figure for the style to be flattering.

Getting back to The Big Day, it really wasn't that special of a wedding, was it? The ceremony space was pretty but like something you'd see at any golf club outdoor wedding. When they went to the ballroom reveal, it was just eh. I've been to weddings like that. Even her dress budget was fairly normal (I can't believe I'm saying that - must be watching too many shows).

If a show is going to start covering weddings, I wish they'd pick unique ones in interesting locations.

Edited by peggy06

Christy's wedding was boring, but boy was she memorable.  "My day, my way!"  She was so ugly to everyone.  Her husband can't later say that he didn't know exactly what he was signing on for with her.

• Love 1

I mostly don't like when the bottom part and the top part have that definite line. It's accentuated because the material of the bottom is so different than the top. On the Atlanta episode last night, there was a bride who chose a figure-hugging dress with a skirt that gradually widened out, a modified A-line. That dress definitely gave her an hourglass figure. And it wasn't strapless! I thought it was lovely. But you're right, maybe it's the prevalence of these styles on these shows that gets to me. Plus, you do have to have the right figure for the style to be flattering.

I totally agree. I generally find this style hideous and the glaring difference between the two fabric types wasn't helping at all. And you're so right that it only works on certain figures. I snorted out loud during the fitting (when the dress wouldn't zip after gaining "six pounds") when her friends had to pretend they couldn't see her gut protruding from the dress.

Speaking of the material, who picks a heavy brocade (one that looked like something my great aunt would have used in her parlor for drapery, no less) for an outside wedding held in Florida?!?

Oh, my god.  I was watching a rerun from 2011(?) with the bride who spent $70,000.00 on custom Pninna dresses for her, her 3 daughters and her mother.  Is she insane and/or fabulously wealthy?  The dresses for the girls were sweet, but $4,500 for a toddler's dress????  And the bride's mother's dress looked horrid on her, way too fitted for her figure, and the brides own $30,000.00 dress looked like a sparkly, tight potato sack attached to a hooker's cheap corset.  WTF?

I saw this one a couple of weeks back and was stunned!  She was an older bride, with a number of kids, who was marrying a young dj.  Where the hell did she get $70k to spend on dresses?!  

I've been watching some early episodes on Netflix. The sales directors used to emphasize keeping appointments to 1.5 hours, which is enough for three or four dresses. Now, some brides are able to try on ten dresses. Is everyone able to make double appointments or do you think the extra time is only for SYTTD brides with large entourages?

The Big Day episode last night, with Patti Ann and Corey: I liked this couple. Sure, they were having a big splashout of a wedding, but they were paying for it. Also, Patti Ann seemed to roll the with punches more than most of the brides I see on these shows. The bling is falling off her invitations? They get out the glue! The wrong dress is shipped? She had a minor meltdown, but then simply got on the phone to Kleinfeld and explained the problem. She didn't yell or carry on. Even the change of location for the actual ceremony, she was happy to go along and make the change. Her mom was more upset about everything than she was (but in a way that I could relate to). I liked the surprises the couple planned for each other. They seemed like a solid couple, like fun people. This was probably the most enjoyable Big Day episode I've seen. Makes a change from the last one ("MY day, my way!").

• Love 2

I enjoyed the episode, too.  I was saying to myself, "This is the kind of couple that I'm actually interested in," during the show. Usually I'm filled with outrage and am berating myself for watching. My only eyeroll moment was the crystals on the invitations. They shouldn't have fallen off before they were mailed, but I would have suspected they'd come loose in the mailing, regardless of the cost.  I also liked the bride's dress. I was a little concerned about the blue at the bottom, but it really was lovely. 

More episodes like these, please, producers!

ETA: I somehow doubt, though, that they created a new dress for her in a week. I'm willing to bet that she was originally sent someone else's dress . . . but that Kleinfeld's error couldn't be acknowledged on the show. 

Edited by rur
ETA: I somehow doubt, though, that they created a new dress for her in a week. I'm willing to bet that she was originally sent someone else's dress . . . but that Kleinfeld's error couldn't be acknowledged on the show.

I agree, they must have sent the wrong dress. Color and size both wrong? That seems like the only plausible explanation. Though, to me, a mixup in shipping makes them look less bad than if they had actually messed up her dress order to that extent.

• Love 1

Just finished watching an episode where the girl brought her fiancee and the other her hot Italian husband(for a vow renewal). The fiancee was an alleged comedian named Catfish,who managed not to say anything remotely witty, funny, or charming. His fiancee wanted to show off her "curves". I used to watch SYTTD a lot but I got tired of all the fat girls with their back and arm fat squeezing into these corsetted, strapless gowns.  I have yet to see a Pinina gown that does'nt make the girls look tacky with all their bows and rhinestones. Anyhoo, these women bring these guys in who give their mostly negative opinions on the dresses. Now wait a minute, is'nt the wedding dress suppose to reflect your taste, your vision? The flashback on the episode was the girl who brought the Best Man! Because he knows what the groom likes! Oh honey, you've gonna have problems.

• Love 1

Random thoughts on the Sunday morning rerun marathon:

Normally I would roll my eyes at a bride who chooses to buy 3 dresses for her 3 weddings, or a bride who has a dress budget of $30,000. But neither of these brides had an attitude of entitlement, and I liked the dresses they chose. Well...the Pnina with the rose bustle was a tad much from the back. But the front looked so perfect on that bride. I loved the bodice and how it flowed into the ballgown skirt. It seemed really perfect on her. The back view would certainly make a statement, if nothing else. Heck, if you're going all the way to Ireland for your wedding, you might as well make a statement. Having picked that dress for the church, I can see why she picked a second dress for the reception. It would be hard to sit and dance in the ballgown. She looked great in dress #2 as well. I loved the vineyard dress and the Catholic church dress for the 3-wedding bride, not so much the elaborate dress for wedding #3.

Not really a fan of color for wedding dresses, but that red number with the black tulle underlay was stunning. Maybe not like a bridal gown, but truly fabulous on her. And hey, it's her wedding. Also liked the black two-piece on the bride who left without a gown. I didn't catch why that wasn't going to work for her. When I left, it seemed like she loved it. Personally I wouldn't wear black for a wedding for karma as well as less-silly reasons, but that dress flattered her.

From that same episode, the bride who has a rock band: I didn't like her dress at all. And actress-mom's reaction was the fakiest fake acting I' ve ever seen on this show. The bride with the colorful tattoos reminded me strongly of Reese Witherspoon. So pretty. I loved how she looked in that dress. On the hanger I kind of hated it, but on her, it was wonderful.

Sexy-dress bride who had to choose after saying "yes" to two dresses. She made the right choice, but I actually loved that slinky, draped number. Not very wedding, but still looked great.

Ukrainian bride was so sweet and looked wonderful on her wedding day.

I've been catching some old Kleinfeld episodes on the Sunday morning "brunch" marathons. This is where I'm really missing the old thread on the old forum - I am sure there was plenty of good snark.

Anyway, this morning I saw the Duggar episode. Those were some seriously ugly dresses with that modesty shrug forced underneath. Surely, there had to be a better solution? Like, maybe look for a dress that's not actually a wedding dress? Especially with only three weeks' lead time? There are plenty of formal dresses with high necks and even sleeves.  I would think, if you've been married for 25 years and had 18 kids, you'd have matured past the need to pick your own wedding dress. It's not like she got married in a potato sack first time around. Then again, I'm acting like this is all real. In actual fact, it was no doubt trumped up for ratings for both shows.

On the episode with the big sale day: There was a bride who allegedly came from Australia for a specific Llhulier gown, then didn't really like it. Do they actually expect us to buy that someone travels that far, at that much expense, for a $3,700.00 dress? Come on!

Then the bride who came in with a spreadsheet of 40 gowns. Dead giveaway that she's not seriously shopping. I felt sorry for the consultants. Also: She rejected so many of them on the hanger. You have to try it on, it can make all the difference.

On the episode with the big sale day: There was a bride who allegedly came from Australia for a specific Llhulier gown, then didn't really like it. Do they actually expect us to buy that someone travels that far, at that much expense, for a $3,700.00 dress? Come on!

I know, especially when they bring others with them.

Just for fun, I just searched Travelocity for a round-trip flight for one person from Sydney to NYC. The cheapest is $1,500. And it takes 20 hours in each direction.

I am sure there are beautiful dresses available in Australia. In fact, she could probably have gotten one custom-made for less than the $3,700 plus $1,500 plus hotel and food costs - and not had to spend 40 hours flying!

I love this show, but these long-distance brides strike me as silly.

I know, especially when they bring others with them.

Just for fun, I just searched Travelocity for a round-trip flight for one person from Sydney to NYC. The cheapest is $1,500. And it takes 20 hours in each direction.

I am sure there are beautiful dresses available in Australia. In fact, she could probably have gotten one custom-made for less than the $3,700 plus $1,500 plus hotel and food costs - and not had to spend 40 hours flying!

I love this show, but these long-distance brides strike me as silly.

The point of the exercise may have been for the bride to be on television choosing her dress, which I'm not sure money can buy in Australia.

I'm tired of these morbidly obese women talking about their "curves". If your fiancee comes dress shopping with you, he's an asshole. Pinina dresses really do only look good on thin girls with big implants.

Why is a fiancé coming dress shopping with you necessarily an asshole?

Edited by Scarlett45

Watching this morning's reruns, I saw a bride try on a gorgeous dress with a lace bodice, boat neckline and elbow-length sleeves. The waist was dropped, and the skirt was full, simple and unadorned, with almost a box pleat effect. It looked wonderful on her. The consultant called it "classic bride," and it's what used to be classic, before strapless dresses took over. The bride loved it until her mother said the lace looked cheap. I didn't think anything about the dress looked cheap, it looked elegant and timeless. But who knows, maybe it did in person. Bride has second thoughts and tries on a - you guessed it - strapless ballgown. It was pretty, but so much more stereotypical. At least it wasn't a mermaid.

At least Kleinfeld still stocks some different styles, even if they rarely seem to be chosen. I wish more brides would strike out from the usual dresses shown on these programs, and really consider how much better they might look in a dress with sleeves, or something other than a sweetheart neckline. Personally I think a slightly dropped waist is more flattering to even slim brides than a ballgown with a natural waist. The natural waist and immediate pouf of the skirt can make a bride look thick or squat. JMO, anyway.

• Love 3

I liked that lace dress too. I think it was the sister, not mother, who was being bitchy about the cheap quality of the lace and snooting in her talking head that her family has "high-end tastes." I'm evil, so I kinda hope she reads your post and her oh-so-superior head explodes at being mistaken for the wrong generation ;)

• Love 1

Anyway, this morning I saw the Duggar episode. Those were some seriously ugly dresses with that modesty shrug forced underneath. Surely, there had to be a better solution? Like, maybe look for a dress that's not actually a wedding dress? Especially with only three weeks' lead time? There are plenty of formal dresses with high necks and even sleeves.  I would think, if you've been married for 25 years and had 18 kids, you'd have matured past the need to pick your own wedding dress. It's not like she got married in a potato sack first time around. Then again, I'm acting like this is all real. In actual fact, it was no doubt trumped up for ratings for both shows.

Yeah... actually I've had two friends who had formal prom type dresses for their wedding gowns.  I would certainly think that'd  be acceptable for a vow renewal!

I wonder if the bride from Australia was on vacation anyway and figured she'd throw the dress shopping in as well. (I don't remember that episode off the top of my head)

I used to watch SYTTD a lot but I got tired of all the fat girls with their back and arm fat squeezing into these corsetted, strapless gowns.  I have yet to see a Pinina gown that does'nt make the girls look tacky with all their bows and rhinestones.

The definitive and illustrative episode for this is the bride that was known as 'barrel bride' on twop. This was an older episode. I don't know if it was a Pnina gown but it was most definitely a mermaid with a lot of bead work and she looked in it exactly as the nickname implies. Her consultant and even Randy tried to gently talk her out of it and into a more flattering gown but she would have none of it. On the one hand, I admired her confidence, not giving a phuck what anyone or society thought about what was or wasn't ideal. She thought she looked good and that was all that mattered to her. On the other, just damn! Girl, that ain't your dress. 

Who remembers the spin off for plus size women? That bordered on offensive what with all the ripped fabric sound effects and bride stuck in dress storylines. 

• Love 2