Type keyword(s) to search

Game Of Thrones In The Media

• Start Topic

“I will say I wanted a better death.”

In the penultimate episode Cersei was crushed by falling masonry along with her brother-lover Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau). It was an underwhelming end, to put it politely.

“Obviously you dream of your death,” she says. “You could go in any way on that show. So I was kind of gutted. But I just think they couldn’t have pleased everyone. No matter what they did, I think there was going to be some big comedown from the climb.”

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/16/lena-headey-cersei-death-game-of-thrones-the-flood-interview

• Love 2

Cersei's death wasn't epic or dramatic, but I feel that was the idea. Like Tywin's death. I'm not sure how fans would react if Tywin's death was D&D's idea and in the books he had more dramatic death. Cersei's death was symbolic and I think where D&D really succeded is making you actually root for Cersei to escape at the end. It's crazy. After everything she has done you want her to escape. How many fantasy stories actually gave you something like that?

She was so powerless and affraid, the show refused to give viewers any enjoyment in watching Cersei die, like they did with fan service Ramsay's death. It was complete oposite of fan-service, like a lot of things in S8.

She died defeated and powerless with Jaime while Red Keep, the symbol of her ambition and power lust crushed on her.

• Love 1

I had no desire to see Cersei escape.  Since she never realized how much of her own destruction she wrought, her death was meaningless, not satisfying, or disappointing, or any type of emotion.  I was disappointed Jaime never lived up to his potential, but that is it.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Neko said:
6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:
Read more  

I love Lindsay Ellis, and I love the burn at the very end, with the mention of Audible. 😛

I have to agree, and this was a great video. (Can't wait for part two).

She did point out what I've, retroactively, realized was a warning sign for the show's later seasons. That being the way the show changed the characters of Shae and Tyrion from their book counterparts to a point that the book resolution for their story no longer made sense, but kept that ending anyway. 

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, Captain Carrot said:

I have to agree, and this was a great video. (Can't wait for part two).

She did point out what I've, retroactively, realized was a warning sign for the show's later seasons. That being the way the show changed the characters of Shae and Tyrion from their book counterparts to a point that the book resolution for their story no longer made sense, but kept that ending anyway. 

Yes, this.  They made Shae a completely different character but STILL gave her the fate of her book character, which made no sense.

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES

Game of Thrones

Killing Eve

Better Call Saul

Bodyguard  

Pose 

Succession  

This Is Us

Ozark

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

Sandra Oh, Killing Eve 

Jodie Comer, Killing Eve

Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones 

Laura Linney, Ozark

Viola Davis, How to Get Away With Murder

Mandy Moore, This Is Us

Robin Wright, House of Cards 

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES

Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul

Jason Bateman, Ozark

Billy Porter, Pose

Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us

Milo Ventimiglia, This Is Us 

Kit Harington, Game of Thrones

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES 

Alfie Allen (Game of Thrones)

Jonathan Banks (Better Call Saul)

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Game of Thrones)

Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)

Giancarlo Esposito (Better Call Saul)

Michael Kelly (House of Cards)

Chris Sullivan (This Is Us)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES 

Gwendoline Christie (Game of Thrones)

Julia Garner (Ozark)

Lena Headey (Game of Thrones)

Fiona Shaw (Killing Eve)

Sophie Turner (Game of Thrones)

Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones)

from the Daily Mail.

Supporting actress is going to be interesting

16 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

NCW talks about how the negativity about the last season made it’s way onto the cast groupchat. 

It's baffling that NCW, GRRM, and anyone else connected with the show seem to be unaware of the difference between fans responding to nonsensical writing and fans simply not liking a particular outcome.  

• Love 14

The Emmys are beyond a joke these days. Nominating the series finale for outstanding writing (and directing), nominating Kit Harrington, giving almost half of all supporting actor nomination to GOT cast members - the only question is which of these things is sillier than the other.

• Love 8
(edited)

I've put Game of Thrones out of sight, out of mind.  This season shouldn't be winning for Best Drama.  But I am glad to see Alfie Allen finally get a nod.  I thought he should have gotten one for Season 2.

Emilia did do her best acting this season I would agree but she's not even in the Top 15 in terms of best actors on the show.

EDIT:

I'm being EXTREMELY GENEROUS by saying she's not in the Top 15 of actors on the show.  I don't think she's even in the Top 40.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 6

Lest we forget

Guest Actress in a Drama Series

Laverne Cox (Orange Is The New Black)
Cherry Jones (The Handmaid's Tale)
Jessica Lange (American Horror Story: Apocalypse)
Phylicia Rashad (This Is Us)
Cicely Tyson (How To Get Away With Murder)
Carice van Houten (Game Of Thrones)

• Love 2

Guess it is safe to say that the Emmy voters still loved the show despite all of the controversies.  Really wouldn't be surprised if it goes out with another Best Drama trophy.

Probably a long shot, but I'm pulling for Emilia Clarke since I thought this was her best work by far, and it would be nice to see her recognized, considering the Dany character took the worst of the criticism.

Glad Alfie Allen got a nomination, and I would love to see Nikolaj Coster-Waldau finally nab a trophy, but I suspect if anyone from GOT is taking it, it will be Peter Dinklage again.

Supporting Actress might be too stacked this go-around.  I still think Lena Headey should have won already, but I'm not seeing it happening here since Cersei barely did anything this season.  Unless voters just really loved how she starred out of a balcony! 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Supporting Actress might be too stacked this go-around.  I still think Lena Headey should have won already, but I'm not seeing it happening here since Cersei barely did anything this season.  Unless voters just really loved how she starred out of a balcony! 

It's possible they'll give her a legacy win (happens on occasion).  Based on Season 8 alone, she'd rank last among the four in terms of material.  Maisie or Gwen would probably be first in my personal rankings.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

The Emmys are beyond a joke these days. Nominating the series finale for outstanding writing (and directing), nominating Kit Harrington, giving almost half of all supporting actor nomination to GOT cast members - the only question is which of these things is sillier than the other.

The Emmys have always been a joke, always pandering to movie stars and missing the boat on actual good TV. They never honored shows like Buffy or Gilmore Girls. Just this year they've snubbed D'Arcy Carden and Kristen Bell. Of course they were going to pander to GoT. Regardless of what the Internet crazies say, it was a big popular show and will get people to tune in.

• Love 2
On 7/16/2019 at 11:21 AM, SeanC said:

It's possible they'll give her a legacy win (happens on occasion).  Based on Season 8 alone, she'd rank last among the four in terms of material.  Maisie or Gwen would probably be first in my personal rankings.

Totally agree.  Gwen is my number one pick. I literally squeeeeed when I saw her name but I'm good with any others winning.  I have nothing against Lena but she really only appeared in three eps with The Bells being the most screentime.  They only showed her body on the finale to get the episode qualification.

Nothing against Dinklage but he should have been in Lead and I really want Nikolaj to win.

The Ds, Miguel and David all got directing noms too.  I'm guessing Miguel takes it again.

How many eps got submitted for show category?  I'm guessing AKotSK, Long Night and Finale were the submissions.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Totally agree.  Gwen is my number one pick. I literally squeeeeed when I saw her name but I'm good with any others winning.  I have nothing against Lena but she really only appeared in three eps with The Bells being the most screentime.  They only showed her body on the finale to get the episode qualification.

Nothing against Dinklage but he should have been in Lead and I really want Nikolaj to win.

The Ds, Miguel and David all got directing noms too.  I'm guessing Miguel takes it again.

How many eps got submitted for show category?  I'm guessing AKotSK, Long Night and Finale were the submissions.

AKotSK was not submitted for writing or directing.

Only the finale, The Iron Throne, was submitted for writing.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/hbo-game-of-thrones-emmys-submissions/

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

D&D cancelled their Comic-con appearance (as well as Sapochnik, Natalie and Iain).

It would have been nice to hear from them but honestly I can't really blame them. I read that they were getting death threats and people were making plans to drown out anything they say with boos and jeers. The show is over, they have nothing to promote. And people need to get a grip. It's a fucking TV show. Are the death threats really necessary?

• Love 6