Type keyword(s) to search

Game Of Thrones In The Media

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, Francie said:

Love this article.  It explains how the decline in quality wasn't just due to sloppy writing with plot holes, but because the show abandoned the type of story that it was telling:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/

Yes, this is really good. The story shifted from something unique and interesting in Hollywood to a more typical Hollywood-style storytelling and it's noticeable. 

I maintain that more episodes and more time wouldn't change anything. What D&D needed to do is use their time more wisely.  Less Drogon destroying King's Landing and more actual talk between Jon and Dany. Less battle and more reaction about Jon's parents. They said what, 73 hours? That's almost 8 full seasons of a regular TV show. More than enough time to tell a tightly written story.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 8

I saw something about the income the stars got per episode.  And all of a sudden I understood why there were only six episodes this year instead of eight or ten.  At a million per star per episode, two or even four additional episodes becomes a lot of money. So minimize the number of episodes, and there's more money for the behinds the scenes guys and gals.  

You want additional seasons?  At this point, the stars were in a position to leverage much bigger salaries. TPTB had their next career moves lined up, why go through the aggra of stars who want more money?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Yes, this is really good. The story shifted from something unique and interesting in Hollywood to a more typical Hollywood-style storytelling and it's noticeable. 

I maintain that more episodes and more time wouldn't change anything. What D&D needed to do is use their time more wisely.  Less Drogon destroying King's Landing and more actual talk between Jon and Dany. Less battle and more reaction about Jon's parents. They said what, 73 hours? That's almost 8 full seasons of a regular TV show. More than enough time to tell a tightly written story.

Less cock jokes and short jokes and two season openers in a row that did nothing but move the “chess pieces” of characters into place. Good storytelling would have moved the pieces and advanced the storylines. No re-treading old jokes (“I want to die at 80 in bed with a mouth around my ...”) in the false name of “calling back.” So much of the time they did have was wasted these last two seasons. 

And what was with all the sharp edits?  People thought there was more to scenes, like the sharp end to the Tyrion/Cersei scene in the Season 7 finale, and I thought there was something nefarious hidden in the sharp end to the Arya/Lannister soldiers (including Sheeran scene), etc. 

1 hour ago, enoughcats said:

I saw something about the income the stars got per episode.  And all of a sudden I understood why there were only six episodes this year instead of eight or ten.  At a million per star per episode, two or even four additional episodes becomes a lot of money. So minimize the number of episodes, and there's more money for the behinds the scenes guys and gals.  

You want additional seasons?  At this point, the stars were in a position to leverage much bigger salaries. TPTB had their next career moves lined up, why go through the aggra of stars who want more money?

1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

HBO was willing to shell out the cash for more episodes (because GoT is their most popular show), but D&D turned them down.

Also, there’s some misinformation out there.  Because of Euro/dollars conversion, blogs and even news sources are mistranslating and misunderstanding what the highest paid 5 actors were paid.  I’ve seen something going around that says they got paid $1.2 million/episode. They were paid half that. Still a lot, I know, but not as much as what the Friends actors were making in their final season. 

And that amount was not the largest chunk of the pie. The production budget was enormous. HBO had pretty much an open wallet for this show. 

• Love 2

Variety has a roundup of the GoT actors' upcoming projects. 

Ironically (or maybe not), Richard Madden may have benefited from Robb being killed off so early. It means he won't get pigeonholed or typecast into one kind of role. And his career is doing quite well post-GoT.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, BitterApple said:

MauLer uploaded Episode 4: An Unbridled Rage on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/5B8Ycfy-Ldc

My favorite line from the narration:

"Sam decides to name his son Jon, after the guy who left him to be mauled by the White Walkers, not Edd, the guy who died to save him."

These videos are comedy gold for snark-watchers. 

This one was particularly good. 

• Love 1

CNBC did an article about the fan anger at GAME OF THRONES and how the franchise could suffer for it:

Clearly, some have decided that it’s time to take to the streets with torches and pitchforks. So can the franchise withstand this level of ire?

Representatives for HBO could not be reached for comment, but Barna William Donovan at the Department of Communication and Media Culture at Saint Peter’s University said alienating fans could indeed put the franchise in danger as a commercial force.

“If audiences are left as angry once the final episode has aired as they are now, any future plans for spinoffs and DVD sales could very well be in jeopardy,” he said. “Fan communities do not like to be let down by long-running franchises, and they have often shown that they are willing to walk away from entertainment that disappoints them.”

The numbers show that fans will eventually tune out a franchise if it disappoints them enough. 1979′s “Alien” was a surprise hit that grossed $283 million at the domestic box office after adjusting for inflation, but the franchise bottomed out with 2007′s “Aliens Vs. Predator - Requiem ” faring the worst at $53 million after inflation. This also holds true for the Terminator franchise, which dropped from the “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” franchise high of $438 million after inflation to $98 million for 2015′s ”Terminator: Genisys. ”

Donovan added that if the finale leaves a bad enough taste in viewers’ mouths, it could be detrimental to another beloved franchise. Series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have been tapped to create the next trilogy of “Star Wars” films, and Donovan believes a disgruntled response to “Game of Thrones” today could jeopardize “Star Wars” tomorrow.

“There is already a faction of ‘Star Wars’ fans who were unhappy with last two entries in that franchise — ‘The Last Jedi’ and ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ — because they felt the films strayed too far from what they originally liked about the series,” he said. “So having Benioff and Weiss take over the franchise might further alienate many ‘Star Wars’ fans.“

Andrew Selepak, director of the Master of Arts in Mass Communication Program at the University of Florida, said Benioff and Weiss have reason to be apprehensive about the future.

“While David Benioff and D.B. Weiss were once seen as geniuses for how they were able to adapt George R.R. Martin’s books to the screen, now they are seen by some as incapable of telling a story and only capable at repurposing someone else’s vision to the screen,” he said. Only time will tell if that impression will last among that subset of fans.

• Love 2

Emilia Clarke has taken to social media to bid farewell to Daenerys Targaryen and it is just unbelievably sweet:

"Finding the words to write this post has left me overwhelmed with how much I want to say but how small words feel in comparison to what this show and Dany have meant to me," the actress wrote on Instagram.

"The mother of dragons chapter has taken up the whole of my adult life. This woman has taken up the whole of my heart. I’ve sweated in the blaze of dragon fire, shed many tears at those who left our family early, and wrung my brain dry trying to do Khaleesi and the masterful words, actions (and names) I was given, justice," Clarke, 32, continued.

"But to you, dear kind magical fans, I owe you so much thanks, for your steady gaze at what we’ve made and what I’ve done with a character that was already in the hearts of many before I slipped on the platinum wig of dreams," she concluded. "Without you there is no us.  And now our watch has ended."

She ended the post with the hashtag "#motherofdragonsoverandout."

• Love 9
On 5/18/2019 at 1:50 PM, enoughcats said:

They’re setting ratings records so I think HBO would pay to have additional seasons.  After GoT, it’s uncertain what other shows would have the cultural or ratings footprint.

It took them several years after The Sopranos to find a blockbuster hit.

On 5/18/2019 at 3:54 PM, Minneapple said:

HBO was willing to shell out the cash for more episodes (because GoT is their most popular show), but D&D turned them down.

My daughter just told me about this.  D&D told them they could wrap it up in 6 episodes even though HBO offered them seasons 8 and 9 with 10 episodes each.  Seems D&D were offered Star Wars and were ready to be done with Got.  I hope there's no truth to that but it would explain this rushed final season.

(edited)
On 5/15/2019 at 6:45 PM, RobertDeSneero said:

Some entitled crybabies who are probably mad because of how Season 8 has invalidated their fanfic have signed a change.org petition to re-do season 8 "with competent writers".  It kind of reminds me who were upset because The Last Jedi didn't match their wants and desires.

I'm among those who think that the petition is bullshit. There are things I hate about this season too, whether it's the character assassination (Jamie, Dany or Sam-whom I heart-who claimed that he wanted to fight in the wight battle but he was more useless than Lyanna a little girl who  died killIing a giant) real assassination (Misssandei (RIP)) or non assassinations (Jamie & Cersei), but I'm not gonna waste my time begging HBO to indulge me in an exercise in futility. At least fanfics are free.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, JanetSnakehole said:

Also HBO has that money to burn. At the end, Friends were all getting a million an episode, and that was just NBC. I think cast salaries were the least of their worries. 

Friends also had a lot bigger ratings than GOT ever did so it was making a ton more money and it was still cheaper to produce than GoT.  GoT is not even in the same ballpark as Friends (which also still makes huge bank in syndication and on streaming services).

Edited by Matt K
  • Love 2

Friends and Game of Thrones are two completely different kettle of fish. Friends was a low-concept comedy, easy to syndicate, and a network show. It has done incredibly well in syndication, to the point where the stars are still making $20 million per year on the show. Game of Thrones is high-concept fantasy and it ain't being syndicated. 

I do think the end of GoT signals the end of the "watercooler show," where we all discuss each episode the day after it airs. It's the last "big" show. Maybe something else will come along, but most likely it will be a Netflix or Hulu or Disney streaming show where everything is viewed at a viewer's own pace so it won't be a shared experience.

• Love 4

And to add to everything that's already been said about Friends vs. Game of Thrones in terms of money, Friends had only six cast members and their salaries were the bulk of the expenses. GoT had a HUGE main cast, extensive sets that they built from scratch, tons of trained stunt performers, special effects, the costs of shooting on location, etc.

• Love 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, yowsah1 said:

Well, not surpisingly, the Change.org petition is going nuts.  

A remake with competent writers would be great.  But, I'd settle for one written by a room full of monkeys with typewriters.  There is no way that would not be better than what we got.  

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, enoughcats said:

In my warped opinion, Richard Madden got a major boost to his career, because of the way he photographed at Kit Harrington and Rose Leslie's wedding.

Richard-Madden-Kit-Harington-Wedding.jpg

He is scorching hot at all times. I'll just be in my bunk. . .

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, spaceghostess said:

Emilia talks to The New Yorker's Sarah Larson. I like her even more after this interview. She's such a pro . . . and so smart and funny, too. Can't wait for the Elizabeth Barrett Browning project!

I love her more for this too. I did chuckle when she said she didn’t know anything about the petition and then the interview just moved on. What I wouldn’t give to have been a fly on the wall to see her expression (and if anything else was said about it). 

I also read a little blurb of an interview with Kit. Not sure if this has been discussed but he said something about fans being “culpable” for believing Dany was good. I think his word choice was unfortunate. We were sold Good Queen Daenerys for seasons. Emilia talks about that in her interview. I’d need to read the entire article with him but his remark left me with less than positive feelings about him. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Soup333 said:

I love her more for this too. I did chuckle when she said she didn’t know anything about the petition and then the interview just moved on. What I wouldn’t give to have been a fly on the wall to see her expression (and if anything else was said about it). 

I also read a little blurb of an interview with Kit. Not sure if this has been discussed but he said something about fans being “culpable” for believing Dany was good. I think his word choice was unfortunate. We were sold Good Queen Daenerys for seasons. Emilia talks about that in her interview. I’d need to read the entire article with him but his remark left me with less than positive feelings about him. 

Yeah, I also read the Kit comments. They were from Variety, I think? I mostly chalked that up to him doing the actorly thing of buying into whatever motivation the writers/showrunners give you for your character (as Emilia also describes in the New Yorker piece). He needs/wants to justify Jon's actions to himself while simultaneously trying to see a "deeper" meaning in how the audience engaged with Dany. I think he meant to point out how people can be taken in by charismatic dictators; I get why it bothered you, though. He pretty much invited whatever blowback he gets from going there, but he seems pretty outspoken in general, so I guess he can handle it, heh.

As much as this season disappointed me, one of the best things GoT has done is bring up a new generation of actors while allowing us to enjoy the greats of earlier generations, too.

• Love 2

Water bottle error 

I wonder why the show didn’t require the actors and crew to use prop containers for beverages so that a forgotten item just blends into the background.   Just give the actors goblets or flasks.  I remember a director on a period film requiring that crew be dressed in period costume for a scene in a mirror room to make sure that they would blend in if they accidentally ended up reflected in the mirror.

Sometimes mistakes happen no matter how careful people are but since there are people frustrated by the final season mistakes are more glaring and annoying.  I didn’t even notice the water bottles until it was pointed out to me.  It does seem to be a symptom  of how rushed things were.  There’s lots of examples in movies of surprising errors in that made it past edits.  People are human and sometimes a person working closely on something will be so focused on one detail like an actor’s performance that other details like items forgotten on set get missed.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/19/2019 at 8:28 PM, DollEyes said:

I'm among those who think that the petition is bullshit. There are things I hate about this season too, whether it's the character assassination (Jamie, Dany or Sam-whom I heart-who claimed that he wanted to fight in the wight battle but he was more useless than Lyanna a little girl who  died killIing a giant) real assassination (Misssandei (RIP)) or non assassinations (Jamie & Cersei), but I'm not gonna waste my time begging HBO to indulge me in an exercise in futility. At least fanfics are free.

I'd be surprised if many people who signed the petition actually think Season 8 will be remade.  In my opinion, it's simply a way for viewers to register their protest in a manner that's less anecdotal than a hashtag, and about the only way D&D can be held accountable in any manner.

So far over 1.4 million people have signed the petition. D&D fucked up and they should be told that

Edited by Constantinople
  • Love 10
25 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

'd be surprised if many people who signed the petition actually think Season 8 will be remade.  In my opinion, it's simply a way for viewers to register their protest in a manner that's less anecdotal than a hashtag, and about the only way D&D can be held accountable in any manner.

So far over 1.4 million people have signed the petition. D&D fucked up and they should be told that

That means that 1.4 million people think that D&D fucked up.  That's all.  If this was a criminal offense, well that would be another matter.  What I see in the reporting is that the more people that have signed the less weight the complaint carries.  Now we have other actors/directors/etc that have nothing to do with any of this saying that people don't understand how a series is made etc.  

So D&D will go on.  Quite frankly if they had cost a studio $$$$$ and hadn't turned in the viewship then they would have a problem.  But this wasn't a studio backed piece and it did turn in the viewship.  So signing the petition makes someone feel better and makes for fun headlines and something to talk about. 

Now 'they' are slamming the GoT folks that are standing up to the petition.  The tweets are hysterical.  Basically GoT people should be thanking them for getting them more work.  Sigh, the internet.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Sophie Turner has called the petition disrespectful.

Jacob Anderson calls it rude

Kit Harington slams the critics

And in response to the actors, you see people saying stuff on twitter like "oh, we don't mean to slam the acting! It was really good! It was just everything else we hated!" Yeah, like that's going to fly with the actors. Others are slamming the actors or claiming that they're paid to shill for D&D.

Dammit, people. Back in my day we just read fanfic. 

• Love 3
(edited)

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a27021012/kit-harington-game-of-thrones-season-8-interview-2019/

I don’t know what happens on other TV shows or other sets—I haven’t been on many. But on Thrones, the money put into it goes into the show. There weren’t many luxuries on Thrones, not for anyone. The actors obviously get a place to sit because they’re sitting around a lot, but it’s usually some crappy little cabin. You don’t get driven back [from the location] to your trailers. You get to sit there in a cold, wet, damp cabin all day and in these sodden, heavy costumes.

I’m going to do a quick bit of math. [Opens metric-conversion app on phone.] So my costume weighed thirty-three pounds, and you’d carry all of that on your shoulders all day. So thirty-three pounds for ten hours.

And if it’s wet or muddy, it’s heavier.

Yeah. And then you’ve got the sword, and that weighs two kilograms, which is another X number of pounds. [It’s four pounds and change.] Plus, I was in fucking high heels, because I’m short and they need me to look taller than other people, so I’m carrying fifty pounds in high heels. You’d have about a week or two where your body went into shock, going, I can’t, I’m knackered. But you just kind of get into it and your muscles build up, and it was actually quite a good workout every day. You didn’t need to go to the gym.

snapshot-4-1554397909.jpg?crop=1.00xw:1.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3

Now 'they' are slamming the GoT folks that are standing up to the petition.  The tweets are hysterical.  Basically GoT people should be thanking them for getting them more work.  Sigh, the internet.

I wouldn't even be surprised if a nice number of the petitioners were "bots" lol.

Fandom is always good for a laugh.

And the actors/actresses are hardly bothered.  Fandom acts like Ms. Clarke or others were in their dressing rooms and had to take a long pull from a flask before she could go on and film her scenes. LOL.  She LOVES D&D.  Publicly stated she wouldn't do another GoT Project (Prequel or Dany's early years) unless the D&D were involved.

SMH.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't "blame" any actor or crew member for my issues with this season. My frustration lies in the fact that D&D were offered the time and resources to tell this story better and chose not to avail themselves of either. I'm satisfied to air my grievances about (or love of) shows on the forums and don't need to sign petitions about them. Having said that, GoT, like any television series or movie, is a commodity. It's a product the audience pays for; consumers are entitled to complain if they think they've been ripped off. I don't think that makes them jerks, nor do I feel comfortable applying the other meaning of "entitled" to people who choose to do this. Similarly, I don't judge clapback from actors or crew, who are equally entitled to defend their work and have the massive media presence to be as heard as they want to be. I look at all of this as an exercise in free speech. Remember when letter-writing campaigns were the only option? I do, because old.

Edited by spaceghostess
punctuation mishap
  • Love 14

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/20/18632110/just-how-much-of-the-game-of-thrones-ending-was-george-r-r-martins

After eight long years and a six-episode season, we have our ending to Game of Thrones. But is this the same ending that author George R.R. Martin had in mind when he began crafting A Song of Ice and Fire more than two decades ago? Bran on the throne? Jon beyond the Wall? Daenerys turned a villain?

-----

This is so wildly out of left field that it’s hard to believe that the showrunners made it up themselves. But if it does come from Martin’s head, it’ll happen differently: While the show cut Bran out for an entire season and sidelined him for much of the final couple, Martin has always kept a focus on Bran’s story. Bran has the first point-of-view chapter after the prologue in A Game of Thrones, a chapter that Martin says “came ‘out of nowhere’” for him in 1991.

Could A Song of Ice and Fire be—at least partially—the story of a paralyzed boy who grows up to become not only the Three-Eyed Raven but also king? It’s totally in line thematically with the story. Bran has always been more central to the books than the show, which is why this ending feels so out of place for the television adaptation but may fit perfectly in the written works.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, spaceghostess said:

I don't "blame" any actor or crew member for my issues with this season. My frustration lies in the fact that D&D were offered the time and resources to tell this story better and chose not to avail themselves of either. I'm satisfied to air my grievances about (or love of) shows on the forums and don't need to sign petitions about them. Having said that, GoT, like any television series or movie, is a commodity. It's a product the audience pays for; consumers are entitled to complain if they think they've been ripped off. I don't think that makes them jerks, nor do I feel comfortable applying the other meaning of "entitled" to people who choose to do this. Similarly, I don't judge clapback from actors or crew, who are equally entitled to defend their work and have the massive media presence to be as heard as they want to be. I look at all of this as an exercise in free speech. Remember when letter-writing campaigns were the only option? I do, because old.

You can complain all you want, you can criticize all you want. A television show is art and it's open to criticism and discussion. Art is art and it's subjective. Even Emilia said she would have liked for Dany to have more conversations with Missandei this season, a criticism I have noted as well. That's perfectly fair. What goes past the line is throwing a tantrum and demanding HBO re-do it. That is what reeks of entitlement.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Minneapple said:

The only one that bothered me was Harington downplaying the misogyny of a show where the only main female character in any real position of power at the end was a girl who was passive and tortured for most of her existence, then is later grateful to have been raped. Meanwhile Olenna and Margaery died, and the most heroic and ambitious of the positively-portrayed female characters, Dany, doesn’t even get to just die. No, she becomes “crazy” like Cersei and the Sand Snakes in the most unexplained, shock-for-shock’s-sake way possible. She apparently wasn't even justified a properly developed end to her arc despite being one of the main characters. Screw him.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

You can complain all you want, you can criticize all you want. A television show is art and it's open to criticism and discussion. Art is art and it's subjective. Even Emilia said she would have liked for Dany to have more conversations with Missandei this season, a criticism I have noted as well. That's perfectly fair. What goes past the line is throwing a tantrum and demanding HBO re-do it. That is what reeks of entitlement.

Yup, art is subjective. And art has triggered public reactions, both positive and negative, for centuries. "Tantrums" and "demands" will yield whatever result they yield, which, in this case, will likely be nothing but a 1.5 million-person vent. It'll be interesting to see if more comes of it. The "line" you mention is your personal line. If you want to be angry about people being angry about Game of Thrones, have at it. This is all free speech. I was just saying that it doesn't make me angry that people signed a petition and I don't judge them for it. YMMV, and obviously does.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 5/18/2019 at 6:15 PM, Francie said:

Less FEWER cock jokes and short jokes and two season openers in a row that did nothing but move the “chess pieces” of characters into place. Good storytelling would have moved the pieces and advanced the storylines. No re-treading old jokes (“I want to die at 80 in bed with a mouth around my ...”) in the false name of “calling back.” So much of the time they did have was wasted these last two seasons. 

And what was with all the sharp edits?  People thought there was more to scenes, like the sharp end to the Tyrion/Cersei scene in the Season 7 finale, and I thought there was something nefarious hidden in the sharp end to the Arya/Lannister soldiers (including Sheeran scene), etc. 

In memory of Stannis Baratheon.  The one true King of Westeros.  :)

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • LOL 4

Well, I think actors and actresses have got to learn that they can't only be happy when the fans like them.  Bad reviews, upset fans, etc. is, part of the game. The same disappointed fans are the same fans that were giving them attention and boosting their profiles, allowing the show to continue and them to book other projects. 

For me, other than some vets and a few others, the acting on this show by some of the biggest characters was never that great, they were literally learning to act as the show went on. I came in on the end so if they are still that bad then I can only imagine the first few seasons. 

Clearly the people signing the petition are just venting, and that takes nothing away from the hard work of people behind the scenes, etc.  Saying they are disappointed for those people is pointless because those people are not praised or recognized anyway...they know the fans are not criticizing the BTS people, they are just taking it personally.  The actors are not responsible for the writing, they just ha a job to do. Most of us get that, but they have to also understand fans don't have to like the writing for this season just because other seasons had better writing or they liked the show before. Each episode/season is its own and each scene its own performance.  Some people will like it, some people won't.  It is done and over, and Lord knows why they made some decisions that they did, but responding to the fans disappointment is not the way to go.   Truth is had Twitter, etc. existed back in the day I am sure plenty of other shows would have gotten the same treatment.  

All I can say is I am glad I am not a Star Wars fan. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Clearly the people signing the petition are just venting, and that takes nothing away from the hard work of people behind the scenes, etc.  Saying they are disappointed for those people is pointless because those people are not praised or recognized anyway...they know the fans are not criticizing the BTS people, they are just taking it personally.

The fans are criticizing the work product of the BTS people.  So many of them probably feel their hard work is being denigrated.  There is a petition saying we don’t like this and demand that you do it over.  Not sure how anyone connected with the final product wouldn’t see that as a criticism of what they did, actors, BTS, everyone.

So 1.4 million people don’t like what you did.  They are kind of saying it was just the writing.  The rest of you were great.  The fact that your resume now has a poorly rated episode shouldn’t affect how your next boss views your resume.  Tell them we didn’t mean you.  I’m sure it won’t impact you in any way.  When in fact it will affect them and will impact their ability to get the next job and the rate they get paid.  So thanks 1.4 million people cuz we understand that you are just venting.  All our hard work means nothing to you.

• Love 2