Type keyword(s) to search

Game Of Thrones In The Media

• Start Topic

Did anybody post or see this already? Apologies if it has been discussed already, I just found this incredibly interesting.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/02/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin-original-plan.html

Some of this sounds almost more interesting (and certainly less bloated) than we actually got...some of it I'm glad never actually happened. I'm going to guess that the Stark kids are older in this version.

Mod Note: Some info in the link could be considered spoilery!

Edited by SilverStormm
Warning of possible spoiler info

I have only seen it in the book spoiler topics so far.

Do we need to spoiler tag if we are too discuss it? Not gonna come with any theories just say that it's interesting which characters that where there from the start and what other characters has been branched out from them.

There's also some stuff about who will survive in the end which I'm not gonna mention because that could definitely be a major spoiler.

I have only seen it in the book spoiler topics so far.

Do we need to spoiler tag if we are too discuss it? Not gonna come with any theories just say that it's interesting which characters that where there from the start and what other characters has been branched out from them.

There's also some stuff about who will survive in the end which I'm not gonna mention because that could definitely be a major spoiler.

Book Talk clarification:

Spoilers Prefix = All Book Talk or info that isn't specifically from the show should be spoiler tagged. May contain open air tv spoilers.

No Spoilers Prefix = No book talk or show spoilers permitted even if tagged.

Book Talk Prefix =  Open air book talk goes in these.

No Book Talk Prefix = No Book Talk allowed even spoiler tagged. If applicable, TV spoilers should be tagged.

No Prefix = Book Talk, TV Spoilers or info from outside the show should all be spoiler tagged.

As this topic has no prefix #5 in the list above applies.

To all; if in doubt feel free to PM one of the GoT mods for further clarification.

Thanks

Is there a way to have some kind of mini-label or footer to remind us which thread we're in? More than once I've thought I was in Winds of Winter or Book vs. Show, only to find I was in another thread altogether.

Is there a way to have some kind of mini-label or footer to remind us which thread we're in? More than once I've thought I was in Winds of Winter or Book vs. Show, only to find I was in another thread altogether.

No there isn't sorry. I usually look at the tab in my browser.

Archie Comics released a one-issue homage to Game of Thrones, called...Game of Phones. 

Archie was Robb, Betty was Daenerys, Jughead was Jon ("Snowhead") Veronica was Cersei, Reggie was Joffrey, Moose was The Mountain, etc. etc. 

Of course this is Archie, and not their "adult" line either, so it was all tame and in good fun, but still, it's a cool little homage, and you could tell whoever did it really was a fan of the show, just through certain lines and some odd moments here and there (for instance, Mr. Lodge was as chilling as Tywin was in those first seasons).

http://www.nerdspan.com/comic-review-archie-664-game-of-phones/

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1

Entertainment Weekly has 4 covers for GoT this week: 4 of the 6 POV characters since the beginning. Bran obviously omitted since he's not around at all.

Sansa also omitted due to jealousy that she's better than everyone, obviously.

• Love 1

I was surprised to see Arya as one of them actually. She's obviously one of the most popular characters, but when it comes to PR and magazines it seems like the main faces have always been the Lannister siblings + Jon + Dany. Nice to see them mix it up a little bit.

Entertainment Weekly has 4 covers for GoT this week: 4 of the 6 POV characters since the beginning.

I just read this issue and thought it was really good--lots of different features related to GoT. I'm a subscriber, but if you're not I do think it's worth a few bucks!

That is such a shame. I love spoilers, but reading review comments about specific storylines and analyzing every second of trailer footage is different from actual episodes being accessible weeks before they're aired. Part of the fun and frustration of GOT is having a week to discuss the episode and speculate about the future before we find out what happens next on the show.

These were probably the four episodes sent to reviewers, so I doubt 5-10 will leak. Has any show ever had its season finale leak more than a week before it airs? The biggest leak I can remember is that Wolverine movie which ended up doing OK at the box office despite being bad.

That is such a shame. I love spoilers, but reading review comments about specific storylines and analyzing every second of trailer footage is different from actual episodes being accessible weeks before they're aired. Part of the fun and frustration of GOT is having a week to discuss the episode and speculate about the future before we find out what happens next on the show.

These were probably the four episodes sent to reviewers, so I doubt 5-10 will leak. Has any show ever had its season finale leak more than a week before it airs? The biggest leak I can remember is that Wolverine movie which ended up doing OK at the box office despite being bad.

Movies get leaked a lot. You can find the critic screeners pretty easily for any movie that sends them out if you're so inclined. A lot of critics are unfortunately not very careful, usually the story is some lend them out to friends/family or the screener is "borrowed" by friends/family and ripped.

It happens a lot less with TV shows cause most TV shows don't screen their episodes beyond maybe the season premiere. I'm guessing you are right that some critic was either less then careful with their copies or deliberately uploaded them, and the leaked episodes are the screeners sent out.

The biggest leak I can remember (beyond this one) was actually a book, the 7th Harry Potter was leaked about a week ahead of it's release date IIRC. This is probably the easiest leak to pull off cause for a big release book stores get tonnes of copies in stock very early and books are rarely shrinkwrapped so it's easy for an employee to scan and upload them and be able to return the copy before anyone notices. I guess it doesn't happen very often cause few books carry as much hype as Harry Potter. Maybe the last ASOIAF will end up leaked as well though.

Edited by Maximum Taco

Doctor Who has  had some MAJOR leaks, including episode 1 of the new series and the first 5 episodes of the most recent series, including the premiere of a new Doctor. 

I agree. I've seen people say that they would like to get all the episodes at ones. I don't agree at all. I want to have a week between each so that there's time between them for discussion and speculation.

I agree. I've seen people say that they would like to get all the episodes at ones. I don't agree at all. I want to have a week between each so that there's time between them for discussion and speculation.

Both approaches have merit.

I love the wait sometimes. But I don't deny that I always binge the season of House of Cards on a lazy Sunday and I love that Sunday.

This 4 episodes at once leak isn't at all appealing to me though. You just get ahead of everyone else, and then you get a 4 week long cliffhanger.

That could kill me.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 3

This 4 episodes at once leak isn't at all appealing to me though. You just get ahead of everyone else, and then you get a 4 week long cliffhanger.

I didn't even think about that part.

Well it's 12 o clock here and I'm off to bed, then tomorrow morning I will watch the show first thing.

Game of Thrones has reached the point where you truly know you're a cultural icon: getting parodied on Sesame Street. Watching something like this really makes me wonder how many jokes on the show I missed as a kid.

• Love 5

I don't know where this goes, but for anyone who also watches Mad Men, but last night Pete Campbell's daughter is denied entrance into a prep school because of the bad blood between the Campbells and MacDonalds, because teh Campbells slaughtered the MacDonalds while sleeping under their roof. It seems like GRRM also based the Red Wedding on this historical event: http://nerdist.com/george-r-r-martin-explains-the-red-weddings-historical-roots/

I love it when two shows collide!

• Love 2

5.3 was even with 4.3 in ratings despite 5.1 being a series high.

Perhaps due to more people catching onto the leaks, or people not being into what's happening? Well, we'll see how 5.5 stacks up against 4.5.

(edited)

This video is everything I have ever wanted.

Jaime Lannister goes emo lounge singer.

There's one with the Dink too.

And it looks like they're working on a group song with more of the actors.

ETA: Here's Emilia's

Edited by Lady S.

I don't know where this goes, but for anyone who also watches Mad Men, but last night Pete Campbell's daughter is denied entrance into a prep school because of the bad blood between the Campbells and MacDonalds, because teh Campbells slaughtered the MacDonalds while sleeping under their roof. It seems like GRRM also based the Red Wedding on this historical event: http://nerdist.com/george-r-r-martin-explains-the-red-weddings-historical-roots/

I love it when two shows collide!

I caught that also. I loved Pete's insistence that the massacre was on the king's order. Mad Men has had a least one 30 Rock joke too. Mad likes to slip in jokes/references from other shows. iZombie recently had a joke about the red wedding.

Every week on Gay of Thrones, Jonathan discusses the most recent episode with a celebrity. I find it much more interesting when the guest has actually seen the show (some of them clearly have no idea who these characters are). These are two recent ones. He had me at "Dornish Kris Kardashian."

• Love 1

That made me laugh, ElectricBoogaloo

The second video reminds me of when I watched the Red Wedding happen on the show for the first time. (I might have shared this back on TWoP.) Anyway, I was watching it with two Unsullied viewers and one friend who is a bookreader. One of the Unsullied viewers had started watching the show from the Blackwater on and he claimed that he was only watching because of his Unsullied girlfriend who is the sister of my bookwalker friend. This guy frequently reminded us that he didn't like fantasy, he thought certain things about the series were "stupid", he thought Robb was a fool for executing Karstark, etc. Fast forward to the Red Wedding and this guy has his mouth hanging open and then says to us all 'Oh shit, so they're like treacherous motherfuckers? *pause* But there's another episode, right?' This guy is still a viewer btw and he did eventually watch the earlier episodes he missed.   

• Love 2