Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Taxed

I loved Alicia telling Cary she had no interest in returning to Lockhart Aggos.  However, the ending with Alicia and Lucca gave me visions of Alicia and Lucca opening their own law firm, Cary joining them, and then the three of them running back to Lockhart (insert name of the week here), and if that happens I may throw my TV out the window.

Peter is still a spineless sleaze.

So Eli decided to go nuclear, and involve both Jackie and Grace.  Didn't Eli have a very successful career before he started to rehab Peter's image?  Why didn't he just go back to that, and let Peter sink on his own?

Diane handling Canning so effortlessly was fun to watch.

The Bond Judge needs to be thrown off the bench.

• Love 3

Jeffrey Dean Morgan is too red/orange/tan in this role.

It's not just him. Michael J. Fox. Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Peter Gallagher and Chris Noth are all the color of Jersey Shore cast members. Is John Boehner working as a makeup artist now?

Nice of Alicia and Eli to get a loss. The show gets too boring when they win EVERY battle. Especially when their opponents are a top campaign manager and the entire American legal system. 

And it looks like they're trying to duct-tape a way to get Alicia involved organically with Lockhart/Agos/Lee/Lyman/who the hell knows. And finally, in I don't know how many seasons, is someone acting like the Governor's wife/possible First Lady is someone you should suck up to. It made no sense for these rich, connected, power-hungry people to treat Alicia so poorly. And now they're calling in favours to waste on a philosophical debate? Not that it wasn't interesting. But still. 

• Love 3

Wow.  Two cases-of-the-week and two losses.  Plus, Eli gets smacked down  This is like that early episode of "24" they'd do every season where scores of innocent people are killed while Jack Bauer could only look on helplessly.  It would steel his resolve. 

Look out, TV-version of Chicago, Alicia, Diane, and Eli are coming for you!

• Love 2

I was unable to process anything in the first half of the episode. Diane's fabulous jacket drove all conscious thought from my brain.

It was beautiful! I hope she didn't buy it at the store that doesn't like African Americans, though.

Did I hear correctly that the "stolen" sweater was almost 900?

Edited by Athena5217
  • Love 1

Must suck to be the daughter in the COTW. Momma got you a lovely sweater, just don't return it.

Would think the judge would be nicer to Alicia since Eli clued him into the bribery trap.

Jackie's codename to staff is "Raptor". Loved it. But why isn't Peter pissed that Ruth is blocking family members from seeing him? I can understand Jackie, but Grace? Oh, and Pete, you're not running for President, merely potential VP.

Diane, you are still the best part of this show. Her withering comment about Reese not wanting Alicia at the firm, handling Canning's tricks in court, trying to do the right thing, while looking drop dead chic, just perfection.

Edited by dbell1
  • Love 7

On the one hand, this season is vastly better than last season already.  On the other hand, I'm just tired of the efforts to remind us of Alicia's naivety and just, golly earnest caring when all others around her don't.  You know what, the cases in the bond court are interesting enough that we don't have to have a third miracle established on the way to confirming sainthood for Alicia. On the 'are you freaking kidding me' hand, she's going to start another law firm??!!  What is this..... Seven Seasons and a Baker's Dozen of firms?

Tired of Canning's 'ooh, look, I'm suffering' schtick, tired of seeing others tired of Canning's schtick.  I'm also tired of the childish maneuverings of Eli versus his latest opponent of the season.  Eli used to be smart and clever.

I see sparks of something good here again on the way out, it's just that the embers keep from lighting because of lazy storytelling. 

• Love 8

OK, so it was the mother who stole the $900 sweater, complete with the old empty shopping bag trick.

As if!

We are expected to believe that a) a stupid-looking orange, no-count sweater retailed for $900 and b) that it was just sitting out there, out on display, with absolutely no, none, zero security devices attached to it.

My local Macy's has stuff far less expensive practically chained to the floor.

I call shenanigans.

• Love 19

What even was Eli's end game? Peter just hired Ruth so Eli had to know that she wasn't getting fired since that would make for horrible optics. If it was just about making sure she had a bad day, then fine, but this particular plan was never going to be more than that. Getting rid of Eli then Ruth back to back would have killed Peter's campaign before it even began.

I would have much preferred a racist store and a class action to the very predictable end we got. The moment the daughter said the sweater was a gift from mom, I had a feeling the story would end with mom having stole it.

I'm no lawyer so is it realistic that Matan, who oversees murder trials and other huge cases, also is in bond court? And if bond court is about setting bail is it realistic that they've tried whole cases? Isn't bail for when a client pleads not guilty?

• Love 2

I was too astonished by the Duke University poliovirus treatment for glioblastoma. Seems it was featured on 60 minutes but I missed that. Had to look it up, it's very interesting.

Last November a 29 year old newlywed named Brittany Maynard ended her own life because of a glioblastoma, suposedly incurable. Were the clinical trials at Duke already going on?

I remember the suicide issue intensely because my own daughter was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer one year after she got married, at the age of 30. She was offered an experimental protocol and decided against it. She talked about how if the standard treatment didn't work, then she would sign on for a clinical trial of something different.

So I reacted on a very emotional level to this show, thinking (1) how it was too bad Maynard didn't enroll in the Duke study, because it might have cured her, and (2)how it was actually selfish of her to kill herself and NOT enroll in the study, because even if she died the information obtained might lead to a cure for somebody else,

Consequently I paid no attention at all to what anybody was wearing.

• Love 9

I'm no lawyer so is it realistic that Matan, who oversees murder trials and other huge cases, also is in bond court? And if bond court is about setting bail is it realistic that they've tried whole cases? Isn't bail for when a client pleads not guilty?

I was wondering the same thing.  WHY are they holding trials at bonds court?  I also am not a lawyer, so maybe it does happen that way, but it makes no sense at all.  As I understand it, whether you are guilty or not guilty, you need to make bail to get out and then you and your lawyer work to make your case for not guilty or whatever.  Wouldn't Alicia just tell her client that they need to make bail and then they can work on her defense?  I wish it would happen that way just so we can see how the bonds court is then feeding into actual clients. That makes sense.  At least to me.

• Love 3

Yeah, I don't understand that Bond court at all. If the cases are just about who gets bail and who doesn't, why would pleading "not guilty" delay the Judge's court. Just grant them bail or not, then they're someone else's problem.

Also, isn't this whole Bond lawyering supposed to be for poor lawyers? I mean, maybe I'm too poor, but $135 per client, when they seem to get about 10 clients per day is a LOT!! Do the math, they'd be making over $100,000 per year, with only half the clients. Plus, it seems kind of an easy job, because they get rid of the clients pretty quickly, not like dragging a trial for months. So.....I don't get t.

Edited by ChocButterfly
  • Love 2

Peter's "wife" was actually Veronica (Stockard Channing/Alicia's mother) calling to lean on him about the assisted suicide law. Eli got HER involved, too.

Oh, and Pete, you're not running for President, merely potential VP.

I think he believes he can be the nominee. You HAVE to have that kind of ego to run; and one of the reasons Chris Noth is so very good as Peter is that the character comes off as a near-perfect portrayal of a politician: he really thinks he's the best guy for the job, and he's done it all by himself (never mind the numerous staff, assistants and handlers). He doesn't care HOW the people around him get things done, but if it comes back to him, they'll be in trouble.

Diane's "how many?" to Canning as she took off the lid of the pill bottle, was for me, one of the delightful small moments.

• Love 4

Does Jeffrey Dean Morgan only have one expression: smirk?

SEXY smirk. Tone it down a notch or 12, dude. He needs to get together with Samantha Jones from SATC so they can sexy-talk like cartoon characters—just as long as I don't have to watch.

On the one hand, this season is vastly better than last season already.  On the other hand, I'm just tired of the efforts to remind us of Alicia's naivety and just, golly earnest caring when all others around her don't.  You know what, the cases in the bond court are interesting enough that we don't have to have a third miracle established on the way to confirming sainthood for Alicia. On the 'are you freaking kidding me' hand, she's going to start another law firm??!!  What is this..... Seven Seasons and a Baker's Dozen of firms?

Could not agree more. We get it—she's a saint, the judge is the devil, the other attorneys are his minions. LET'S PUT THE SYSTEM ON TRIAL!

ugh, enough.

Edited by lovinbob
  • Love 1

Yeah! Peter Gallagher!  Looks like he has had some work done, but good work.  Too bad Diane is married ... they had great chemistry together.

The wardrobe people on this show really have a lot of fun.  I cannot even fathom how much those suits cost.

And I agree, $900 for a sweater?  (Sorry, $899.)  I know that world exists, but it is still hard to comprehend to us common-folk.

• Love 3

Diane, you are still the best part of this show. Her withering comment about Reese not wanting Alicia at the firm, handling Canning's tricks in court, trying to do the right thing, while looking drop dead chic, just perfection.

Canning's tricks are over the top and have become more and more annoying. He should be taken to task as some are so obviously intentional that the judges should see through his ploys and reprimand him for them.

• Love 4

Yeah! Peter Gallagher!  Looks like he has had some work done, but good work.  Too bad Diane is married ... they had great chemistry together.

The wardrobe people on this show really have a lot of fun.  I cannot even fathom how much those suits cost.

And I agree, $900 for a sweater?  (Sorry, $899.)  I know that world exists, but it is still hard to comprehend to us common-folk.

How did Arrested Lady think her mother paid for that sweater?  ::eyeroll::  I was multi-tasking, so I must admit that I didn't even notice Diane's Jacket of Fabulousness.  Screen capture, anyone?

• Love 1

I've always had to sit on my hands over the mish-mash they make of legal procedure, but this week just takes the cake.  This is Bond Court.  There is no way that a plea, guilty or not guilty, is going to make a difference in the speed.  This isn't arraignment court, where you actually make your plea, this is before that step.  And even if it was Arraignment Court, again, all that's done is making the plea, the pre-trial isn't done then either.  And you certainly don't mash the all three together, which is what they seem to have done.  Which then poses the next question, as to why was the defendant taken back to holding 'in the middle of her pre-trial' if she was out on a bond?  The whole point of the bail/bond is that it keeps you coming back until your trial is completed.  The whole way they are doing this thing just seems preposterous.

That sweater looked so awfully plain to be worth $900.  Seriously??  Who could tell the difference between that and an orange sweater from Target or even Macy's?  I knew the sweater was stolen by the mom the moment she said she paid cash and threw away the receipt?  Really?  You're shopping at a store that you know doesn't like black people, you pay with cash (you really carry around $900 in cash in your purse?) and then throw away the receipt, and are surprised when the person you give the sweater to is accused of taking it and trying to fraudulently return it?  of course, the fact that the sweater didn't have any security devices on it was another complete red herring, almost no clothing store does that anymore. 

• Love 2

Peter Gallagher! I hope this is the first of many appearances of The Eyebrows on this show; he fits so well into TGW universe, I almost can't believe he hasn't been on the show the whole time. 

Diane handling Canning's shenanigans in court was a thing of beauty. Diane is maybe the only character on this show who consistently behaves like a grown-up, and it's just so appealing. 

Add me to the number of people confused by a trial happening in bond court. Or the whole bond court system. I don't need the portrayal of bond court on tv to be 100% accurate, or even 78% for that matter, but I do want them to set up some rules for themselves, and then stick to them.

Cary, please find a storyline.

ETA: I almost forgot to mention, but I really dig the new detective. He's almost aggressively charismatic, but it completely works on me. He actually kind of reminds me of Big on the first season of Sex and the City, so I'm hoping we'll get to see some scenes with him and Chris Noth go head to head to see who manages to stay on the right side of smarm.

Edited by swimmyfish
  • Love 6

I can start to answer....when Judge Jerk of Bond Court grounded Alicia and took away all her cases until she convinced her client to plead guilty.  Alicia told the other woman attorney in bond court something like "I was taxed".  I know what it means, but I don't know what it mean.  

Does everyone in this cast hate Juliana M? Or does she hate them?  I'm starting to get tired of all her scenes not being with the OG cast.  

ETA: I almost forgot to mention, but I really dig the new detective. He's almost aggressively charismatic, but it completely works on me. He actually kind of reminds me of Big on the first season of Sex and the City, so I'm hoping we'll get to see some scenes with him and Chris Noth go head to head to see who manages to stay on the right side of smarm.

I came to this forum only to see if anyone mentioned JEFFREY DEAN MORGAN!!!  Boo Hoo! Some did it was negative.  I won't comment on the make-up because it's irritating on almost every show these days.  HD has been around long enough that the make-up mavens should be able to do it correctly.  For me, this is a new APPEALING Jeffrey Dean Morgan.  Since my son knows him slightly, I try to watch his work but am never impressed.  FINALLY a character and a look have been created that are interesting.  I do wonder if they're trying to give Alicia the same "vibe" Gary Cole brings to the show.  Morgan does it better.

I can start to answer....when Judge Jerk of Bond Court grounded Alicia and took away all her cases until she convinced her client to plead guilty.

See, that what made the episode go downhill right there. Bond Courts can't do that, in fact I remember a few seasons ago a judge just assigned Alicia a case when she was already in the middle of another one. Lawyers have multiple clients and work on several cases while one might be in court or deliberation. However, you can't just tell a lawyer: "They either plead guilty/innocent or you can't work." Or just say: "Hey, I tell you what to do and you will do it." TV has for years acted like judges are presidents but they have to follow rules with other court officers. Then you have to add in that this $800 fugly sweater was out in the open with no one in sight and the mother just shop lifted it for her daughter. No, sorry not working. Diane taking down Canning, that was the only highlight because guess what, in real life someone like him would have no clients or court cases at all because he's a joke.

• Love 1

I was wondering the same thing.  WHY are they holding trials at bonds court?  I also am not a lawyer, so maybe it does happen that way, but it makes no sense at all.  As I understand it, whether you are guilty or not guilty, you need to make bail to get out and then you and your lawyer work to make your case for not guilty or whatever.  Wouldn't Alicia just tell her client that they need to make bail and then they can work on her defense? 

I agree -- they are running this supposed bond hearing courtroom like it is Mayberry and there is one judge to do everything.  There are different venues for actual trials, which is what we saw last week and this week in the bond court, with witnesses and all. 

Also, about the mom -- are we supposed to think that the very clear footage was never reviewed by the crack security team at the exclusive store?  I know they were not looking for the mom once the daughter was arrested, but if profiling was going on, something that blatant would have been noticed on the spot, when the actual theft happened.  The mom was incredibly stupid to give the actual date of the "purchase" -- all she had to do is give a different date, and would  not have been discovered. 

ETA:  I don't care if Peter Gallagher and his eyebrows are evil or good, as long as they keep showing up.  And that he is smart, even if he is on the other side.  There is plenty of room for smart divergent points of view on this show, if the writers will let it happen.  I'm thinking of the Oliver Platt appearance at the hunting lodge last year. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 5

Peter Gallagher! I hope this is the first of many appearances of The Eyebrows on this show; he fits so well into TGW universe, I almost can't believe he hasn't been on the show the whole time. 

Diane handling Canning's shenanigans in court was a thing of beauty. Diane is maybe the only character on this show who consistently behaves like a grown-up, and it's just so appealing. 

Add me to the number of people confused by a trial happening in bond court. Or the whole bond court system. I don't need the portrayal of bond court on tv to be 100% accurate, or even 78% for that matter, but I do want them to set up some rules for themselves, and then stick to them.

Cary, please find a storyline.

Couldn't agree more.  I'd never heard of him until I watched Extant & really liked him on that show.  (My niece is crazy about him & told me he would be on TGW.)

BIG bonus!!!

• Love 1
WHY are they holding trials at bonds court?

This is a show that has given us trials, or trial-like scenarios at a coroner's inquest, at a university (more than once) and at a church. Clearly, it's their go-to.

Re: Peter Gallagher & Oliver Platt

Platt is scheduled as a regular on Chicago Med which starts on 11/17. I'm guessing that Gallagher will be his proxy on TGW and do all the Platt stuff over the phone.

Edited by preeya
Re: Peter Gallagher & Oliver Platt

Platt is scheduled as a regular on Chicago Med which starts on 11/17. I'm guessing that Gallagher will be his proxy on TGW and do all the Platt stuff over the phone.

Exactly, that was posted in the Media thread back in Aug.

'The Good Wife' Adds Peter Gallagher in a Recurring Role

Peter Gallagher has joined the CBS legal drama in a recurring role, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Gallagher will play Irving Carver, a witty and sophisticated attorney who has been dispatched to Lockhart/Agos/Lee by his client, conservative billionaire Reese Dipple (recurring guest Oliver Platt). Irving favors a civilized and intelligent debate over bullying but is not afraid to do whatever it takes to make sure the firm is pushing his client's agenda forward.

Platt recurred last season on the series, sharing many scenes with Diane (Christine Baranski). However, he is now a series regular on the freshman NBC medical drama Chicago Med.

The best thing about this episode was Diane (and her fabulous outfit). Peter's look when faced with the task of peacemaker between Jackie and Grace was also good.

But everything else was meh.  I'm already tired of the bond court shenanigans (fictional or not) and I think the show is trying way too hard to sell Cush Jumbo's character as Kalinda 2.0.

Am I the only one who knows Jeffrey Dean Morgan primarily as Daddy Winchester? I like his character so far, he's definitely one of those alpha-males Alicia prefers.

• Love 2

When is Margo Whatshername being written off? I am sick of her. And the stupid "door slamming into Eli's desk" is some seriously weak "humor", even for this show.

Does Jeffrey Dean Morgan only have one expression: smirk? Don't get his appeal.

Equally annoying to me is his lazy way of talking, like he's smirking his lines. He was smug and annoying as Denny Duquette and hasn't improved.

• Love 2

Ummm...I admit I'm not watching this show anymore...just coming here for the  snark factor mainly...but....Peter Gallagher?? I just saw him on the Oct 21 episode of Law & Order SVU....
At least he's getting work.....

I was a kid back when I was watching it, but it seemed like the show Night Court, back in the 80's was better at showing how the court system worked. At least in that show if you had a serious case and pleaded not guilty your case was held over for a real trial. 

• Love 3
Am I the only one who knows Jeffrey Dean Morgan primarily as Daddy Winchester? I like his character so far, he's definitely one of those alpha-males Alicia prefers.

Nope, you're not the only one.  He was Daddy Winchester on Supernatural before he was ever Denny on Grey's.  I wish they'd actually find him a storyline on TGW that makes quasi-sense but I'm probably asking for too much.

While I don't mind Martindale's character, they've almost totally ruined Eli which annoys me.

I was a kid back when I was watching it, but it seemed like the show Night Court, back in the 80's was better at showing how the court system worked. At least in that show if you had a serious case and pleaded not guilty your case was held over for a real trial.

Yes, who'd have thought that Night Court would have made more sense then whatever it is TGW is doing in bond court.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 2