Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Episode Talk

I finally figured out who Maeve reminds me of - the woman on Rehab Addict.  The looks are a bit similar - thin, angular, etc. - but it is mostly how they talk.  They both talk too loud in a nasally voice, whine and complain, and use too many period when speaking - "I. Need. To win. A challenge."  

Oh God, you're right, Maeve is a variation of Nicole "If. I. Don't Get. This. House" Curtis.

• Love 4

Yeah Padua not making a new dough was strange and stupid. I mean at least try! Maybe the cookies wouldn't be all the way cooked but try!

That didn't make sense to me either. He's a baker and doesn't know how to whip up a new batch of dough in 5 minutes? It's easy. I can do it. He acted like it was impossible. It's only cookie dough! Get your bowl and go at it! 

Pity Padua didn't have a 'no-bake' cookie idea in his back pocket.

Yes. At least something.

• Love 1

I felt so bad when Padua left, and then Melody (Was that her name?)  I really liked her and hoped that Maeve would be the next to go.  Or Steve.  He really gets under my skin.

I really think it's Steve's to win and has been pretty much from the start.  I'd love to see Ad from Cuba beat him, but the chances seem slim right now.

Maeve is so proud of her singing voice and is always showing it off.  At the same time, Steve can't stop dancing.  I think the two of them should become a duo and enter one of those talent shows as a comedy act.  She could  sing an Irish song, and he could dance ballet all around her.  Heaven help us!

I like Maeve. She's always trying something different and interesting and it often works. Plus, I like her sarcasm. I'd probably be the same in that kind of challenge.

Maeve is also a little intense. She's great with the creative flavour combination and design but she seems to be always on a ten almost on the verge of tears if it's not perfect or the judges don't like it completely. Sure winning a challenge is great and I understand her frustration not winning one previously but I think the only challenge worth winning is the finale one.

ITA that this could be Steve's for the win even though I like Ad.

I like Maeve more and more. I laughed at her saying "and by huge I mean pleasantly nerve wracking." I like that she takes chances with her ingredients.

Hailey seemed exhausted so she may be relieved to go home. She seems like a lovely woman and many of her desserts looked very tasty.

I think the finale will be fun.

• Love 3

I like Adalberto and think he will win this. He seems to have some interesting recipes and flavor profiles. Steve does a good job at finishing his plates, but he is also inconsistent. Maeve seems too intense and that might do her in during the finale. Hailey seems very sweet and I would love to taste her food, but all along she has just been too simple. The layered dessert she made looked very basic; she should have taken the great flavors she created and put it into a cake or tart. 

• Love 4

I can't stand Maeve and I was hoping she'd get eliminated but I have to admit that she's a stronger contestant than Haley was.  I like Steve and won't be disappointed if he wins but I think Adalberto has been the best overall.  

• Love 5

Not surprised to see Haley go. I don't know why the judges don't seem to like simple, I would rather have something simple that's perfectly made rather than something with a million ingredients that's iffy.

• Love 4

I knew it was the end for Haley when she used a mason jar.  They have told her, repeatedly, that her creations are too simple.  Nothing says simple like a mason jar!  

It makes my stomach turn a little to watch the judges taste everything. Who knows why I put myself through this!  I like something sweet after dinner but 6 peanut M&Ms does the trick.  I don't have a profound love of desserts but I do love cooking competitions.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I like Maeve. She's always trying something different and interesting and it often works. Plus, I like her sarcasm. I'd probably be the same in that kind of challenge.

Normally I would like her sarcasm too, but her voice is irritating to me plus her crazy eyes and intensity turned up to 11?  Not sure I am comfortable with her access to multiple sharp knives and am glad she is on the other side of my tv.

"I like strong...black...man coffee!"was definitely the line of the night.

With the pauses in that sentence, I really wondered where she was going with that.

• Love 3

I think Steve should have been the one to go home this round, but I knew as soon as they showed the shot of Lorraine giving the eye to Haley's mason jar dessert that it was over.  I do think Lorraine is a little stuck up about some of the things we do here in the states.  

I'm pretty sure it was Hayley vs Steve in the end, and Lorraine kept harping about the simplicity of Hayley's dessert that swayed Duff and Nancy to change votes, even though all three agreed it was spot on flavor wise.

• Love 1

I'm glad Lorraine did make an issue of the simplicity of Haley's dessert.  Even without comparing it to the effort in execution and decoration that the others showed, it was a very simple dessert with only one baked component--a pretzel crust that baked for about 10 minutes.

It just wasn't a dessert worthy of a finalist in a baking competition, IMO.  She seems like a lovely young woman, but her skills were not at the level of the remaining three, I think.

I wish they wouldn't ask the bakers to always give their "inspiration" for a dessert. Yawn.  Can just making a good dessert be inspiration enough?  Enough with the grandma stories, please.

• Love 14

I like Maeve more and more. I laughed at her saying "and by huge I mean pleasantly nerve wracking." I like that she takes chances with her ingredients.

What I loved about her saying that was that it was common on Phineas and Ferb, a kids' show on Disney Channel. Dr. Doofenschmirtz, the 'evil villain' would often say something like "and by unexpected, I mean completely expected."  I'm not sure if she has kids but it just tickled me. I agree, she has grown on me. For some reason I thought Melody's name was Maeve so last week when they kept calling her Melody I was very confused about who the other contestant was. 

No, no! It was: "Madder than a mosquito in a mannequin factory!" Brilliant. :)

That one bugged me actually because it felt so contrived. 

• Love 1

I was really hoping that the clump of filling Duff pointed out would send Maeve home.  She's so exhausting to watch.  First time Lorraine bugged this episode because Maeve and Steve had big issues that she just blew off as oh well I liked the dish.  Nancy and Duff mentioned Steve and his whole in his dish.  Nancy loved that painted pear but Duff had clumps of stuff in Maeve's pie.

Any other time I would be on with Haley leaving (last week for sure) but I think Nancy and Duff raved about Haley's dish but it was simple.  Steve (hole in his item) and Maeve (undercooked) had cooking issues.  A good tasting dish - simple goes home over a baking error - clumps in the middle and a hole in the middle of his item?  I think they wanted Maeve, Steve, and AB.  I hope AB wins he's more deserving.

Again, my opinion

• Love 2

I think that Maeve was trying to think on her feet of something clever to say to show that she wasn't flummoxed by getting the coffee liqueur. Otherwise, I've got nothing.

Interesting tonight, how the tables turned and it was Nancy and Duff vs. Lorraine. Usually, it's Duff and Lorraine against Nancy.

No, no! It was: "Madder than a mosquito in a mannequin factory!" Brilliant. :)

I heard that for the first time in the last 2 weeks (on tv - don't remember who or what show).  I was very amused the first time, but it lost its charm the second.

Not surprised at the final three, although I thought Melody had a shot (until last week when she went home).  

I wish they wouldn't ask the bakers to always give their "inspiration" for a dessert. Yawn.  Can just making a good dessert be inspiration enough?  Enough with the grandma stories, please.

You can always tell an FN competition because everyone and everything has to have an inspiration or a story.  I wish the producers would realize that we don't need to hear a story every single time.  A really good story every now and then is fine, but making the contestants come up with a story for everything just makes the stories sound ridiculous.  I think Haley said something like "My grandmother liked to bake so I am going to think of my grandmother while I bake this" 

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 8
My inspiration for baking is that I like to eat baked goods

That's pretty much the reason I started baking. I wanted eat peanut butter cookies,no one would bake me

peanut butter cookies, so I bake my own cookies. After I baked them I realized if I wanted them again or

something else I'd just bake it myself.

• Love 4

I totally agree on the inspiration stories - they just get ridiculous. My inspiration for baking is that I like to eat baked goods.

I would love it if one of their inspiration stories was really out there. Something like my next door neighbor who was my heroin connection loved to sit with me and eat coconut pie or some gritty crap like that!

• Love 6

I would love it if one of their inspiration stories was really out there. Something like my next door neighbor who was my heroin connection loved to sit with me and eat coconut pie or some gritty crap like that!

"I used to make these cookies for my father whenever he had a hangover. Somehow the tomato juice helped"  

"These cookies remind me of all the times my mother went into one of her 'episodes.' The vodka has no taste, but you have to be sure not to over bake them or the alcohol will burn off."

"These cookies are just bursting with chocolate, macadamia nuts, and raisins! They are so delicious and a family favorite.  I remember feeding them to the yappy dog next door.  Never heard from him again!"

For the candy filled cake challenge - "My inspiration is all the cakes I used to make for strippers to pop out of." 

"Gingerbread men will always have a special place in my heart. My single mother was in the army and we moved around a lot.  I had no friends, so I baked myself a large gingerbread man to play with.  I told him all my secrets, we would play games together, go to movies, and he helped me with my homework - until that day that we were tossing a football around...." (sniffling)

• Love 12

Not surprised at the final three, although I thought Melody had a shot (until last week when she went home).  

You can always tell an FN competition because everyone and everything has to have an inspiration or a story.  I wish the producers would realize that we don't need to hear a story every single time.  A really good story every now and then is fine, but making the contestants come up with a story for everything just makes the stories sound ridiculous.  I think Haley said something like "My grandmother liked to bake so I am going to think of my grandmother while I bake this" 

I agree.  On FN, Giada told one contestant (who had just mentioned her dead grandmother) dead people are not appetizing!  I loved her for that.  I am so sick of the dead relative looking down on me and being proud, too.   Yuh.  

• Love 2

Ugh just as I thought, Maeve won.  I was rooting for Steve.  I got a kick out of him.  So he lost just because his cake was too light...?? really judges?  It was perfectly made.  Who the hell wants a heavy cake.

They had lots of criticisms tonight too and it seemed Steve got the least of them but that didn't matter.  Duff saying his writing was big and small?  I rolled my eyes.

Maeve was annoying throughout.

• Love 7

I didn't like the look of any of the final cakes. I thought they each had flaws. I had a feeling Maeve was going to win but I guess she won because the other two had a lot going against them. I'm surprised she didn't get dinged for inedible decorations. I will say that, in terms of taste, the judges seemed to enjoy Steve's cake the most but I just had a feeling they would go with Maeve's because Steve went too simple in design.

I too was rooting for Steve.

Edited by corinne
  • Love 1

I'm disappointed.  Maeve was nowhere near as good as the guys all the way through and I was hoping she'd be eliminated every single week.  I didn't think a sugar sleigh offset all that even if it did take asbestos fingers to make it.  I would have been happy if either of the fellows had won.  Now I'm just disgusted. 

I meant to add............ I caught just a quick glimpse of the containers of mascarpone that Steve was using and I'm quite sure the labels said "marscapone."  

Edited by mlp
  • Love 5

Maeve had the prettiest cake, and I guess I have to take the judges word for it that it tasted the best. I thought the finale should have been just one big challenge and they have should have made something bigger and fancier. I have wanted Adalberto to win all along, and his tree looked OK, but adding teddy bears (and they were not polar bears) was just odd. Steve's cake looked classy but it was very plain for a finale piece. I guess I am just used to the grand pieces made on the other holiday bake shows, these actually look like something I might be able to do (not Maeve's sled though).

As soon as Maeve brought out her illness story, I knew she would win. Maybe it is a coincidence, maybe not.

• Love 2

Adalberto was robbed. I think if his cake and frosting tasted better he would have won. Maeve bugged me and what was with the inedible foliage on her cake? Anyway, I would like a bear macaron please. I am sure that his decorations tasted better than that sleigh tasted. I did think that the last three were the best bakers overall and Maeve did run away with the cookie tree challenge. Agree with all those who hate the sob stories. If I had to have one of these cakes for display I would choose Adalberto's and if I had to choose one for taste I would probably choose Steve's.

• Love 6

My wife and I were rooting for Adalberto, who we thought had been the best overall this season, but we were rooting even more against Steve, so the result was acceptable.

Steve did a good job of coming up with BS explanations (not the first time he'd done so) when the judges called him out on the mis-sized words and the fact that he made a "summer" cake, so points for that, I guess. Also, his cake had the least connection to his theme despite his apparent delight at getting "Singing Carols" as a theme. He couldn't have made some gingerbread-man carolers to put in front of it or something along those lines?

Maeve's cake definitely looked the best despite the cockeyed top tier. And yes, Adalberto's bears looked nothing like polar bears. If he wanted polar bears, he should have done white, shaped cookies of a bear in profile rather than doing them face-on. I liked the idea of the shaped cake, but I didn't really like the look of the final product. The decorations didn't pop enough, I thought, and the big bear head on top just looked weird.

Anyway, this was an enjoyable show, and we'll look forward to it next year!

• Love 1

I really think Adalberto should have won, based on his cake. Maeve and Steve both made rather generic looking celebration cakes. Take the sleigh off of Maeve's and you could easily substitute it with a baby carriage, interlocking wedding rings, or "25" or "50" and presto, baby shower, wedding or anniversary cake. Same with Steve - change Fa-la-la to "Its a girl" "Happy Anniversary" or "I do", change a few other small doodads and you can use it at a shower, anniversary party or wedding.

Adalberto made a cake that could only be a Christmas cake. I wish there were a few more ornaments on it, but still, much better than the other two.

The cookie trees were all so blah looking - they lacked color. I can't believe they all went for such subdued looks.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 6

My family enjoyed this entire season, and we all let out a cheer when Maeve won. Go figure--she wasn't really our favorite until the finale episode. We were all super impressed with the cookie trees.

I don't have a problem with inedible decorations: just pick 'em off. I do have a problem with fondant--you can't take that off easily--or massive dumps of frosting--dyed green frosting, too. So I was happy to see that Maeve's cake pulled through.

Plus, as my wife pointed out: Maeve's flavor was the most suitable. Right? I mean, summer berries? Not holiday. Vanilla? Pretty generic. Hot chocolate and marshmallows? Super fitting, especially after a cold sleigh ride!

• Love 2

I must say I really enjoyed this little show.  I really like Duff--I think he is genuinely a funny, nice guy.  Nancy didn't annoy me as she does so terribly on her own Farmhouse show--thank god she toned it down for this.  I didn't dislike Maeve as much as some of the other posters, so I was OK with her win.  It really does seem like Nancy and the other woman judge don't like each other though!  I liked Adalberto and although his Christmas tree cake was cute, I don't think it was refined enough.  I really wish Padua had made it to the end--thought he was entertaining to watch.  I kind of wish Hayley had made it to the finale just to see what excuses she would have come up with.  You could tell that the other finalists were just in a different league from her and I can't understand how she made it so far.

• Love 3

To me, Maeve had the best desserts in both rounds of the finale.  Her cookies were pretty and her cake was elegant.

Steve's cookies were dark and dreary and his cake was boring.  Adalberto's cookie's were messy and his cake looked sloppy.

• Love 2

Overall, I did like this show.

Neither the judges nor Bobby seem to be trying to make it all about them; they were on just long enough to serve their purpose without being camera hogs. The criticism is kind and never over the top or nasty.

For the most part, excluding talking head segments, the contestants were not mugging for the camera or being too "on". They seemed pretty true to themselves, as far as I could tell.

The challenges were not weird or too difficult, like they were setting the contestants up to fail.

For me, the best part is they made actual food, not art pieces made from edible supplies, not really intended to be eaten.

I ended up really enjoying this show, even with the forced inspirations and the dramatic personal stories. I liked Maeve more and more as the show progressed, with her sharp edges and crazy intensity. I think the 3 finalist s were pretty evenly matched and she made the best showing in the finale.

I think I would have enjoyed eating many of the offerings.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this finale except for the obviously forced backstory segments. Does anyone really want Bobby going around to each of them and explicitly asking them why they want to win? It's bad enough when they do it during judging like on Chopped, now they're distracting them while the clock is ticking down. But other than that everything was fairly enjoyable. The contestants appeared to not be horrible jerks to each other which is always a plus. The sugar cookies were way better than anything I've ever pulled out of my oven.

As for the cakes, I would've given it to Adalberto if going on a purely decorative criteria. The other two were generic shapes with a holiday skin on top. But there's certainly nothing wrong with doing that as long as the shape and skin does come together to make a showstopper. In that regard, Maeve's definitely had more of a showstopper feel than Steve's. Otherwise, going from what we saw on screen, I wouldn't pick Adalberto over the other two. Truth be told his cake didn't really look all that much like a tree to me. Also I think having too many elements was a detriment in the end. Having ice cream and macarons probably pulled away focus from the cake which was the point of the challenge. Duff also dinged him for using too much butter. Maeve had the most holiday themed offering in the end, and importantly had holiday flavors in her cake. She also took some risks along the way with her flavors like using cheese with white chocolate. I'll make sure to try her stuff if I ever find myself near her shop. Next year I think more contestants will be prepared to hammer home the theme in their pieces, but hopefully not mannerisms like last year's winner. 

I've gotten sucked into watching this show because my daughter likes it. I really pegged Adalberto to win - it was his to lose, and I think he whiffed it. His cake was beautiful, and sure had a high level of difficulty, but taste is important too. The judges said his cake was too dense and his buttercream was greasy.

He should have ditched the ice cream idea (they didn't mention it at all, so it can't have been memorable), as well as the bears (cute, but again, it was supposed to be about the cake). A gorgeous star cookie at the top of the tree would have been stellar (hee). 

Maeve drove me nuts, but her final cake looked the best, was most on theme, and had the most inspiration (as long as they're going to require it, it may as well be good). 

Steve's cake was not a $50,000 cake at all. The "fa la la"s not only varied in size, but had that lame, notcalligraphy look that people do when they want to make fancy-looking letters but can't do calligraphy. Also it should have been three layers, not two, for the same reason that objects in 3s look better on a mantel. Two layers somehow looked unfinished. 

Duff is hilarious and Bobby is a decent host, but I love the side-eye that Nancy and Lorraine give each other!

Damn, damn, damn I am sure her cake was the best but Maeve's personality rubbed the wrong way. Was hoping one of the others would win. Maybe it was because I got tired if hearing Irish come out of her mouth every other sentence. Seriously was she being paid by the Ireland board of tourism or something!

• Love 3

Glad I spoiled myself on the outcome here first - now I do not have to watch.   Mauve was my least favorite of the three and trotting out the illness story - I am sorry for her but I watch Food Network and shows like this one for fluffy fun to forget about illness and bills and real life for a few minutes.  But I enjoyed this season for the most part and count me in on liking the judging panel.  And even Bobby Deen (who knew I could like a member of that family but I do)

• Love 1