Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Episode Talk

Of course the guy I was rooting for went first :(.    Susan is already reminding me of last year's winner Erin. Annoying!!!

I don't know why the nut guy didn't tell them he was allergic to nuts.  That was stupid. 

• Love 3

Not a fan of the judges. They were trying too hard to get cute, snarky soundbites. Plus, they seemed to disagree about everything. Annoying.

There's a little too much twee from everyone in this season so I hope that i make it through to the end. However, I did burst out laughing when the firefighter bro's knife broke as he was attempting to cut his pie.

• Love 1

Maybe we just didn't see it, but the judges should have chided the pecan pie guy for his dark crust as well. That thing looked nigh on burnt. It was messy, too, with whatever those orange leafy things were on top.

Winning pie lady? If she can't even mention her children without crying, it's going to be a long season.

I hate the way chocolate is pronounced with an English accent, way in the back of the throat and kind of phlegmy.

• Love 3

I like Duff and Lorraine but I can't stand Nancy Fuller.  She just ruins the judging segments by trying to be cute.  Otherwise, I like the show.  That pecan pie decorated with gooseberries looked and sounded scrumptious.

Is Padua male or female?  My first impression was female but I changed my mind about 10 times and I'm still not sure.  The name doesn't give a clue.

• Love 1

I like Duff and Lorraine but I can't stand Nancy Fuller. She just ruins the judging segments by trying to be cute. Otherwise, I like the show. That pecan pie decorated with gooseberries looked and sounded scrumptious.

Is Padua male or female? My first impression was female but I changed my mind about 10 times and I'm still not sure. The name doesn't give a clue.

As long as Nancy doesn't say "Yummy, yummy, yummy to my tummy, tummy, tummy!", or something similar, in judging this season I'll be happy.

• Love 5

Thanks, lordonia, for the link to Padua.  I didn't catch enough info to think to Google him but I knew I'd seen him before.  Now I see that he was on Sweet Genius which must be where I recognized him from.  He has some serious credentials.

I always wonder how sick to their stomachs the judges are after a day of tasting.They generally take small bites from each plate, but still. That's a lot of gooey sweets in a couple of hours.

Lorraine probably does 3 hours of spin class afterwards; Duff and Nancy seem more lenient. ;)

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

My DVR cut off at the end. Who was eliminated? I didn't like the crying woman and hope she settles down. I also wonder if a guy with life threatening allergies should be in a contest like this? He could be risking his life if he tastes something with even a trace of nuts. I didn't think any of the pies looked especially festive, but they made me hungry.

• Love 1

Finally got to watch this. I like this version better than the Halloween version, maybe because everything doesn't have to have a specific holiday theme. There's too many people for me to root for anyone yet, but Maeve has a serious case of resting bitch face.

• Love 3

My DVR cut off at the end. Who was eliminated? I didn't like the crying woman and hope she settles down. I also wonder if a guy with life threatening allergies should be in a contest like this? He could be risking his life if he tastes something with even a trace of nuts. I didn't think any of the pies looked especially festive, but they made me hungry.

The Mom in me was concerned for him. My teenager has a life threatening tree nut allergy. We do not even bring anything with nuts into our home!

The pies looked pretty tasty on a whole to me. But then again I was temporarily blinded when Lorraine smiled. She has a lot of big, super white teeth!

• Love 1

I thought he said he was dangerously allergic to nuts.  He called his pecans little balls of death or something.

Does anyone know how they film this, meaning are they all living together or do they just show for weekends like The Great British Baking Show?

Edited by backgroundnoise

Sometimes hives can make your throat close up.  However, I doubt they would let him compete in a kitchen like that if the nut allergy was life threatening.  Think of the lawsuit.

Chopped has people who are really allergic to an ingredient all the time, they do not care at all.

If you are allergic you can't know if hives will make your throat close or if you will have a milder reaction. The guy did say he had a severe allergy and I have seen it on chopped ad well. Of course they don't require the person to taste the nuts.

Melody reminds me of Naylet from last season, although Melody is a professional baker. (I think. Isn't she the one with kids and they have a family bakery?) Maeve reminds me of Emila from NFS.

I knew that hipster was going to go. He had way too much stuff going on with his pie. It didn't sound at all appealing.

That contestant from Kentucky needs to learn that "espresso" doesn't have an "x" in it. That works my last nerve, especially from professional-level cooks/bakers.

I can already sense that the home cook who made the shortbread and apple pie will pass through for several weeks just so it doesn't look like the deck is stacked towards the professionals. /eyeroll.

I couldn't take my eyes of of Lorraine with her hair skinned back into that super-tight bun. It was unflattering and it was pulling her face up so tightly that I was wondering how she was even able to open her mouth to taste.

• Love 2

I would assume (or hope, at least) that the guy with the nut allergy would've come prepared with, like, a certain number of "Epi-pens" &/or a certain amount of his allergy medication in the event he was asked to work with something to which he's allergic. I'd also assume/hope that, even if he specifically mentioned the nut allergy when applying for the show, he wouldn't have expected them to not use nuts as a required ingredient in a competition because of it. I mean, he can easily hand off creation of nut-including product to others in his bakery--though remaining traces of the nuts in the bakery could still cause him problems, perhaps--but in a cooking/baking competition, honestly, I think you've gotta come prepared to deal with any ingredient they require, including something you're allergic to. The allergic chefs on Chopped ended up OK--mostly just pink & itchy, at least whomever didn't use rubber gloves when dealing with their specific allergen. The guy here probably could've used rubber gloves to work with the nuts too.

I really enjoyed tonight's episode.  Some of the those wreaths were gorgeous.  I'm not into monochromatic decorations, but the fact that Steve made three different cookies perfectly earned him the win.  I thought the "forest floor" one was visual perfection.

I have to admit that I wasn't expecting the level of baking I'm seeing after being spoiled by The Great British Baking Show.  I'm glad I was wrong.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 2

Maeve is the only one of the contestants I don't care for and I thought her wreath was a total mess so I was surprised when they eliminated John.  I liked him better than his brother and hoped he'd outlast him. 

Having someone yell "Happy Holidays" was silly - especially since they were probably filming in April.  Most of the cross-talk sounds producer-driven to me, not natural.

• Love 2

I was hoping for Maeve to leave. Got tired of her constantly talking about being Irish. She reminds me of a certain show host on QVC. My dad's family is from Ireland and no one goes on and on about it. I had a friend in school who was the same way. Got upset whenever someone else mentioned being part irish.

• Love 1

I wish this show was done like the Great British Baking Show with different things being made each week.  They did do one season of it here in the US but I guess it didn't take :(

Anyway Maeve was very annoying.  I'm also getting tired of all the crying.  My goodness!

I liked Steve's wreath and I'm glad he won.  Susan can go any time now.  Why do they feel they need a peppy pain in the ass during every show?

• Love 3

I am enjoying this show.  But I am having trouble remembering everyone's names.  Hailey, from KY (I think that is her name) made magic cookie bars?!  That recipe is in every women's magazine and has been for years.  I am surprised she wasn't called out on that.  All she did was add crushed peppermints.

I too hate that they are told to yell out "Happy Holidays" or "How are you doin so and so?"  Please.  Just bake.

• Love 3
If the judges tell you not to do something 3 weeks in a row, & you continue to do it, you deserve to get eliminated.

Hells yeah! He kept on doing it with a smirk  and saying he was going to make it work. I found him to be a bit of an arrogant jackass because of that. And his wreath looked HORRIBLE.

Not sorry to see him go and I'm sure the judges are happy they don't have to see toothpaste smears on their plates because he thinks it "works".

I didn't think it looked at all like toothpaste, but listen to the judges! Why would you ignore something you were told to not do?

I thought a couple of the wreaths were beautiful but most of them looked messy. The woman who made the trifle wreath; it was like she was determined to make trifle no matter what the challenge. I'm sure they all came with tried and true recipes but you have to adapt a little. 

• Love 2

Susan can go any time now.  Why do they feel they need a peppy pain in the ass during every show?

I agree I love the holidays but the contestants like that turn me into Scrooge. They run around all crazy like they are drunk on Peppermint Schnapps! If I were one of the other bakers I would be tempted to bean them with a cake mold!

• Love 2

I also enjoy Susan as well as the guy with the gorgeous wreath and god-awful peppermint dessert.  The one I can't stand is Steve.  I don't know if there are any Gilmore Girls fans in the house but that guy reminds me of the overnight manager at the Inn who used to make Michel crazy.

I loved the judges harassing the guy over his horrible peppermint dish. Hilarious calling it "god awful."

Hee.  When I saw how much peppermint extract he was pouring into the bowl, I thought to myself, "This isn't going to end well."  Looked like he poured half the bottle in there.  I don't bake at all and I know "extract" is code for "use only a very little."

• Love 2

It seems like the cooks don't sample things that they add flavoring so ready extracts to. Wasn't some else chided for having very little orange (something citrus-y) flavor in their finished product?

I would actually measure, which they all seem to think they are to good for, use less than I think necessary, taste, and then add more if needed. I wouldn't just dump some in and hope I guessed right. A taste test would take mere seconds.

I just watched the first episode online. It's probably because I've been watching the Great British Bake Off but I absolutely loathed all of the trying-too-hard contestants. The whole thing, actually--the judges, the competitions, the unfunny host, the stupid FN habit of cutting to close-up confessional clips of the contestants responding tot he judges' reactions. GBBO has completely ruined me for Food Network's bullshit.

• Love 5

I gasped when that one guy dumped so much peppermint extract into his pot de creme mixture. I'm glad he was able to regain his footing with his gorgeous wreath dessert. I was so taken aback by how pretty it was I don't even remember what the actual dessert component was.

Haley (baker from KY) should have been marked down for playing it safe in both rounds.

I don't care for Maeve either. I guess she drew the casting card to be this season's drama queen. Her disdain for the peppermint was OTT, but I have to say there her final product was beautiful! That trifle hot mess, well, not so much.

Why did FN cast the brother of a previous contestant? It made me wonder if there just weren't many other competent bakers to choose from or it was the novelty factor of "brother vs. brother?" In any case, I was glad Duff called him out on repeatedly using the "toothpaste" swipe of white chocolate for the third (and final) time. I don't know if John continued to do that out of defiance and arrogance or if he was just so unimaginative that he didn't have anything else in his arsenal. I would have preferred to have seen Maeve go, but I guess that the judges had to make their point about taking their criticisms seriously.

Next...

• Love 3

I like sweets but in small doses.  Watching the judges taste bite after bite turns my stomach.  Lorraine has the right idea, tiny mouse nibbles.  This is how she stays slim, clearly. 

• Love 2

When they said stuffed cakes it left me questioning why...but then I recalled how this is a common theme at baby sex unveiling parties where either pink or baby blue m&m's in the cake let everyone know, even the expectant mother, the sex of said child.

I was more pissed that Melody and Brianna didn't just fess up that they thought what candy they chose was something different...keep it light and fun people.  I did think exactly what those two thought, i mean green malted milk balls?

I like Brianna, but I really think she should have went home last night over Sue...but I forgot that they judge based off the current competition and not the competition as a whole.

They seriously awarded Melody for those whoopie pies and let the decorating slide w/ nary a comment?  Why was she having a breakdown over piping?  Seriously....  They looked so bland and they only could have won b/c they met the main criteria of I guess looking like a whoopie pie.  

Just a comment on the episodes as a whole, but Maeve is so damn annoying w/the facial expressions and all that.  I'm ready for her to just go...the same w/ Steve.  I think this is why I can't stand the American version of cooking competitions compared to British versions, everyone comes off so smug and holier than thou whereas in programs like the GBBO they are down to earth, no manufactured drama, and nobody is talking smack about the others.  

• Love 5

I didn't think any of the cakes looked appetizing with the candy spilling out like that.  I didn't realize that when they said "stuffed cake" they meant exactly that--put unchanged candies in the middle, even if they are wrapped.  Is that really a thing?  No thanks, I don't see how that adds anything to a cake experience.  I've heard of the pink/blue thing for a baby shower, but for the cake itself, not candies inside. 

I like that each competition is a new one and the judges aren't basing decisions on past performance.  That's unusual in American competition shows and I hope they keep it up.

• Love 2

I didn't realize that when they said "stuffed cake" they meant exactly that--put unchanged candies in the middle, even if they are wrapped.  Is that really a thing?  No thanks, I don't see how that adds anything to a cake experience.

I was just coming here to ask the same thing; I've never heard of this before. Did the judges actually have to eat the candy along with the cake? And if not, what's the point? Just the effect?

At first I thought they had to actually bake the candy in the cake...I was kind of grossed out.  However, I was grossed out anyway when I saw the outcome...ewwwww.

At any rate..bye bye perky Susan...I wish you'd have taken Maeve with you.

I loved Alberto's turkey cake and surprisingly Haley's because I liked the lights.

• Love 3

The only cake that looked good w/ the candy spilling out was the chocolate covered almonds covered in powdered sugar.  The other candy looked ridiculous...especially the strawberry candy b/c all I could think of was how sanitary would the wrappers be in the cake.

Steve went for a peanut butter and jelly cake for a christmas theme and then put fall colored reese's pieces inside.  Idiot.  He should have went w/a fall themed cake to match the color of his candy somewhat.  Of course he totally crapped out in the end by just throwing what he could at the cake basically, he threw his design out the window.  I'll just stick the peanuts on the side here and hey...i have left over candy, i'll just sprinkle it around the bottom of the cake and wham...bam...bob's your uncle i'm done.  I really thought he should have been in the bottom.

At first I thought they had to actually bake the candy in the cake...I was kind of grossed out.  However, I was grossed out anyway when I saw the outcome...ewwwww.

I think that's what Sue thought at first until someone told her differently b/c she was concerned her candy was going to be all melted together and what not.

Sue should have just made a basic circle cake like everyone else w/ the strawberry candies inside and she would have won.

These contestants are trying to squeeze too much in a short amount of time....though to be fair they should give them at least 3 hours per competition and that would solve the thing about the cakes having enough time to cool before decorating.

Edited by CMH1981