Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E15: The Swarm

Okay, I have kind of had it with this show. This guy was a total asshole. Maybe not an "in your face" type of asshole, but I am really tired of this show casting gun nuts as if liking guns has anything at all to do with primitive survival. She ended up completely skeletal and her already-useless partner totally ditched her on the extraction swim, and didn't even help her into the boat. Tired of these shitheads being cast on this show. Tired of it.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 8

She was amazing. It was nice to see a woman with a higher psr than the man for a change, but would have been nice to see how she could have thrived if she hadn't been paired with such whiny dead weight. I've seen every episode of this show, and nothing has freaked me out more than those killer bees. Yikes!

• Love 8

I would have checked out when those tiny bugs started eating me alive. Also, those giant cockroaches... OMG! And don't get me started on killer freakin bees.

IDK if we all get the same commercials in all regions of the US, but they kept advertising another survival show IIRC about engaged couples survival . "Men, Women, Wild," Discovery channel Wed Nov 11 at 10 PM eastern. Just thought we could try it if anyone is in with me.

At a glance, the woman looked like that former  N & A woman, 45 yrs old - the one who got dengue fever. I cant recall her name. But at first I thought, "She's back?" Then I realized it's not her.

They had something to start a fire, but chose not to boil their water? WHAT?

Her skin looked so bad, that seemed like a medical situation.

• Love 3

I understand not having the same energy thing, but stirring a fire is not that exhausting. It just requires... being awake. Sheesh. Im guessing if the fire had gone out on HER watch, he'd have flipped out on her. But it was his fault so whatevs.

IF only they'd had like 12 shrimp each - that would have been awesome. But one was a good start and it WAS her basket. So good for her.

Wow the woman began to look skeletal.

And that dude was a real turd. Apologies to turds for the comparison.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 5

Cool that the jungle guides told them where to leave their clothes and they walked presumably out of camera shot as if to come back and get the clothes.. instead of watching them strip which always seems kind of creepy.

Those chicharras are evil.

I think 6 miles walking plus a swim is a little much for extraction day. Yikes

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

Tired of these shitheads being cast on this show. Tired of it.

I agree but I don't think production knows that the shithead is a shithead until he/she is hungry/thirsty/naked and afraid. 

Except this week's guy.  Even I could tell he was a slacker prior to him removing one stitch of clothing.  Displaying his weapons in his apartment, which actually looked like a room in his mom's basement.  Probably was.  I LOL'd at the end when he told us he had a girlfriend once...

Duhr.  No surprise there. 

I also noticed once they got on the boat, he immediately took the lone, comfy seat for himself.  DB.

• Love 8

ari I saw the ad for Men, Women, Wild as well & think I'll give it a shot. It sounds like Naked & Afraid without the naked but with the drama of the couples being actual couples. Boom, my reality worlds collide. lol

The crew & their reaction to the killer bees was unbelievable. The fact that they continued on I find slightly ridiculous. The crew looked seriously ill & the thought of them throwing folks in there & crossing their fingers was crazy. I'm allergic to regular old bees so the Africanized bees gave me serious panicked feelings. *shudder*

The guy was annoying, whiny & obviously disliked by the editors. I come from a gun state & have been around them my whole life. I have shot them, but never hunted. I am not down on guns by any means. However, if I was a hunter, I would be smart enough to know that being able to hunt does not make me an automatic survivalist. Idiot.

The woman was impressive. Her attitude, more than anything, was amazing. Those bug bites looked painful & miserable. I'm one of those problematic chigger reactors & swell & have inflamed skin around chigger & mosquito bites for weeks. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable she must have been but she kept on going. The way she faced every day determined to try again was inspiring.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 8

The guy was annoying, whiny & obviously disliked by the editors. I come from a gun state & have been around them my whole life. I have shot them, but never hunted. I am not down on guns by any means. However, if I was a hunter, I would be smart enough to know that being able to hunt does not make me an automatic survivalist. Idiot.

Exactamundo! In the show Alone (which if you haven't seen, you should find it somehow, it's amazing), the guys who constantly carried guns around while at home were the first ones to go. Turns out when you separated them from their guns, they were kind of sissies with the actual survival stuff.

• Love 11

ari I saw the ad for Men, Women, Wild as well & think I'll give it a shot. It sounds like Naked & Afraid without the naked but with the drama of the couples being actual couples. Boom, my reality worlds collide. lol

The crew & their reaction to the killer bees was unbelievable. The fact that they continued on I find slightly ridiculous. The crew looked seriously ill & the thought of them throwing folks in there & crossing their fingers was crazy. I'm allergic to regular old bees so the Africanized bees gave me serious panicked feelings. *shudder*

The woman was impressive. Her attitude, more than anything, was amazing. Those bug bites looked painful & miserable. I'm one of those problematic chigger reactors & swell & have inflamed skin around chigger & mosquito bites for weeks. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable she must have been but she kept on going. The way she faced every day determined to try again was inspiring.

THIS! ^^^

on all counts.

• Love 1

I was worried for the woman (can't remember her name - Tara? Tana?) toward the end of the challenge. Her lazy bum partner noticed but it didn't seem like he was too worried. I wonder how he and Alana would get along if paired together for 21 days, they appear to have the same approach to surviving. He appears to be self aware about his behavior but not interested in doing anything about improving it.

Anyway, if I had that many painful bug bites I'd tap out too but then with the mention of Africanized killer bees I'd tell them to drop me somewhere else.

Men, Women, Wild sounds interesting. If I remember I'll watch, I usually don't watch much on the Discovery Channel.

• Love 4

Another super female this week!  That patient positive attitude makes a big difference.  And her kindness toward her ineffective partner was very generous after the low points she experienced.  Was he the first participant to proclaim "I'm gonna make the jungle my bitch" and make it 21 days?

Cannot add much to what you people have already written.  Good to see them go the distance.

My spouse was not at all interested in applying for Man, Woman, Wild, so I guess I'll just be watching it the the rest of you.  (Seriously, as irritated as I get with Discovery's production, I could not do what the participants do.)

• Love 4

Her lazy bum partner... didn't seem like he was too worried. I wonder how he and Alana would get along if paired together for 21 days, they appear to have the same approach to surviving. He appears to be self aware about his behavior but not interested in doing anything about improving it.

Exactly! He and Alana seem like they would have made the perfect match...!

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady

At a glance, the woman looked like that former  N & A woman, 45 yrs old - the one who got dengue fever. I cant recall her name. But at first I thought, "She's back?" Then I realized it's not her.

Manu.  At first, I thought it was her as well !

I ALMOST turned this episode off after the first 10 minutes because I couldn't handle Tara's valley girl upspeak.    I'm glad I watched though.   She was one tough impressive cookie, to say the least !!!!

• Love 2

I think doing this type of show with your significant other is an absolute recipe for disaster. I'd do a whole season of Real Housewives with my husband before doing one episode of a Naked and Afraid type show. Divorce rates are high for the RH participants. I'd guess it would be higher for these folks. Just a guess.

• Love 2

I think doing this type of show with your significant other is an absolute recipe for disaster. I'd do a whole season of Real Housewives with my husband before doing one episode of a Naked and Afraid type show. Divorce rates are high for the RH participants. I'd guess it would be higher for these folks. Just a guess.

I'm not sure if I'd kill mr. jnymph; or if he'd get to me first. 

It's interesting that you say that, because I think my husband is the ONLY person I could be around that much (naked or otherwise) and probably not want to murder him. Except my son, I guess, but he is literally a baby and ill-suited to outdoor living. All things considered, though, I'd rather do this challenge with a Bear Grylls type than my husband.

• Love 1

Count me on as one that would have tapped out the first night with the cockroaches crawling all over me.  I can handle a lot but I turn into screaming little girl when I see one of those nasty things in my house.  UGH.  No way could I have done this trip.

And yes another Girl Power episode.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's interesting that you say that, because I think my husband is the ONLY person I could be around that much (naked or otherwise) and probably not want to murder him. Except my son, I guess, but he is literally a baby and ill-suited to outdoor living. All things considered, though, I'd rather do this challenge with a Bear Grylls type than my husband.

I agree with you - my husband is the only one I'd want to be alone with for 21 days with or without clothes on.  However, I don't know how we'd come out on the other side if I had to see him lazy and frustrated for more than a couple hours.  Or if the hunger or the extreme tiredness got to me and I got whiny.

With strangers, you do your time and go your separate ways when it's all done.  But you have to continue living with your spouse - having seen things that you normally would not see about someone you love.  Don't get me wrong, I think our love is unconditional but man, being Naked and Afraid (and tired and hungry and in pain) for 21 days is unnatural and I would never want to experience that with my spouse.  I suppose it could make a relationship stronger but I think that would be the exception.

Edited by ryebread

are the producers of this show women?  cause i'm seeing a real pattern of bias....especially in the rating (which is utter BS as proven from the XL episodes).

on a side note, i like this episode.  but damn, that girl got scary skinny.  on the opposite side of the spectrum, damn, that hobbs got ass...yummy.

Edited by lovebug1975