Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Switch Witch, Three Jerks Jerky, The Skinny Mirror, xCraft

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

So the 3 Jerks Jerky logo is a bear, a pig and a chicken (aka a cock) and their jerky is made from beef.

I thought that logo was cool, but did not belong on a package of jerky. I'd either have to read the fine print to see what it was made of, or reject it altogether as I'm not about eating polar bears in any form.

I like the skinny mirror. Dressing-room mirrors make me, if not everyone, look horrible, at least where I shop. I'm tall, but those mirrors are at some angle that makes me appear 10 inches shorter and 100 pounds heavier, so I HATE all the clothes I try on. Why not have a mirror that makes me and the clothes look good, even if it's only in my mind? I'd rather have me think I'm tall and thin than short and grossly fat. It's all about how I see ME, as the woman said. If I think I look good in something, who gives a care what anyone else thinks? The mirror isn't a diet aid, how my pants fit (and button or NOT button) is my diet aid, not my mirror. If I go up three sizes, it's not the mirror's fault, it's mine for having to keep going out and buying more elastic waistbands so things will fit. I'm not TOTALLY stupid. Yeah, I'd like a skinny mirror. Especially in my bathroom, and over the bathroom sink. 

I was surprised at the sharks all snapping their jaws at the drone, but the phone drone ... yeah, I can totally see that selling a bazillion and making everyone rich. I got a kick out of all the sharks being wise to Mark and his coming in late. And when Mark kept hesitating, I was wishing the drone guys would have said, "Mark, make me an offer NOW or you're DEAD TO ME." That's what sharks like to say to get people to take their offers before anyone else can get into the deal. It's so rude, I wish the drone guys would have been a little rude in return.

The Switch Witch. Just no. There are so many other ways to keep kids from gorging on Halloween candy. That idea I thought was a total waste.

• Love 1

He said on The Real that they broke up, but maybe not at the time of filming and/or there are definite lasting effects to that.

I do not watch The Real but looked on YouTube to see what Robert had said. Barbara (from Shark Tank who was on with him) said that Robert has a trophy girlfriend. Robert said back to Barbara "Don't spread rumors, we are not dating". He was joking that Barbara was his trophy girlfriend. Then one of the hosts said "You guys aren't dating or you are?" I have no idea if she was talking about Robert and Barbara or Robert and Kym - she seemed confused. Robert joked that they had been dating but then she (again, looking at Barbara)  said something to him and now they no longer were. The host then said "So you are available now?" The host seemed to not have a clue that he was kidding, and who is girlfriend is.

I didn't have a problem with the skinny mirror. I have a fat mirror in one of my bedrooms and it ticks me off everytime I look at it. It is a cheap mirror as well but definitely makes me look wider than any other mirror in the house. As far as having them in stores goes, I am sure there are stores that already have them. And if the so called skinny mirror actually takes off the 10 lbs than a normal mirror adds, what is the problem? It is showing you as you actually look in the outfit. I also like stores that have good lighting as opposed to harsh lighting where I look like crap.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 2
I also like stores that have good lighting as opposed to harsh lighting where I look like crap.

Yes, like the two-faced-girlfriend episode of Seinfeld. Some mirrors really scare me. Or just make me feel worse about myself, like the mirror lady said.

• Love 2

I was so angry at the skinny mirror in particular, as I thought it was out and out deception. How naïve was the presenter, for even talking to retail outlets about it? They aren't in the encouragement business, they're in the selling business. 

I actually think she's quite smart talking to retail outlets about it -- if people look better than they usually do in the changing room mirror, then they're more likely to buy the clothes. Stores use all sorts of deceptive practices to encourage you to buy their wares, so I don't see why this would be any different. I think her mistake was announcing on television that stores could use the mirror to up their sales -- it meant any of the sharks who might have liked the product then had to be seen to be openly supporting the deception if they wanted to invest. If she'd stuck with the home use and body positivity message the whole way -- and let the sharks figure out the retail angle for themselves without anyone actually talking about it -- she might have done better.

• Love 2

Saw Switch Witch at Target today... though it wasn't that ugly stuffed doll, but more of a witch figurine. The story is something about a witch needing candy to power the broom or something.. I didn't look at it long enough to get the whole story because I don't really care.

But it was interesting to see it in the store. I didn't even look at the price.

• Love 3

My first wonder about the phone drone was how many different models do they need to make, and then does that kill the margin. Or perhaps they're only planning to do it to fit the latest iPhones. Once you go Android, it seems you need dozens of different cases basically. Or maybe the drone without the camera bits is really cheap enough that that's not a concern...

I actually think she's quite smart talking to retail outlets about it -- if people look better than they usually do in the changing room mirror, then they're more likely to buy the clothes. Stores use all sorts of deceptive practices to encourage you to buy their wares, so I don't see why this would be any different.

Plus, the bottom line (of a woman's "bottom" line) is that if she is a size 12, she's STILL a size 12 after trying on the clothes and checking herself out in the mirror. It's not like all of a sudden, because it's a skinny mirror, she turns into a size 8 so has to buy smaller clothes. If I look good (to myself), then I feel good and I buy the outfit. I just don't see the big deal. I'm not trying on any outfit that I don't like hanging on a hanger. If it's ugly off, it's ugly on. If it's cute off, then I'm hoping it's cute on, too.

I'm not saying EVERY outfit would look good on me, even with a skinny mirror. I'm still judging the clothes. Maybe I look skinnier, but if the dress is skank, then it's still skank and I'm not buying it. So there's that.

• Love 1

This was a weird show in a way.  I didn't see any product I would invest in if I were a shark, but at least every deal wasn't going automatically to Lori.  (Did we have to  have a Lori follow up when she apparently hasn't missed an episode in years?  and why is Barbara absent yet again next week?)

I can't stand even the idea of beef jerky, though I guess it must be popular.  I missed the explanation as to why any jerky would not be gluten free?  Gluten being a wheat product?

I was amused when Kevin forbade any of the other Sharks to invest in the skinny mirror, and then sure enough no one did. Of course they were all correct, it's a terrible idea to place it in a retail store - it's bad enough that women's clothing sizes are so often being marked differently - meaning larger sizes are often labeled smaller - that I end up with online purchases that I have to give away because they are way too large. 

The drone concept made me groan, all I could think of was random accidents in the sky everywhere but I suppose they might have some legitimate purposes. It was good anyway to see the Sharks cooperating.

Switch Witch?  When we were kids my mother had a special cupboard with a lock on it.  It had one purpose.  That's where she put the Halloween candy.

• Love 2

I can't stand even the idea of beef jerky, though I guess it must be popular.  I missed the explanation as to why any jerky would not be gluten free?  Gluten being a wheat product?

A few potential reasons: one, whatever facility they use. If that place manufactures any other products that do contain gluten, there's basically no chance to prevent no cross contamination. Gluten is not limited to wheat. It's in other stuff too. The issue they're addressing when they say they're gluten free is the difference between being able to certify that the product is gluten free (less than 20ppm or something). It is not a matter of the product itself inherently being something that ought to contain gluten (ie beef). The other reason is whatever they might be flavouring it with. Often soy sauce is used, which is often not gluten free depending on how it were produced, other spice mix type things too. So it sort of goes down the chain of potential ingredients that might either obviously contain gluten, or potentially be contaminated based on where those other ingredients were produced. It's not dissimilar to something that has no reason to contain peanuts requiring a label indicating it were produced in a facility that handles peanuts. Edited by theatremouse

A few potential reasons: one, whatever facility they use. If that place manufactures any other products that do contain gluten, there's basically no chance to prevent no cross contamination. Gluten is not limited to wheat. It's in other stuff too. The issue they're addressing when they say they're gluten free is the difference between being able to certify that the product is gluten free (less than 20ppm or something). It is not a matter of the product itself inherently being something that ought to contain gluten (ie beef). The other reason is whatever they might be flavouring it with. Often soy sauce is used, which is often not gluten free depending on how it were produced, other spice mix type things too. So it sort of goes down the chain of potential ingredients that might either obviously contain gluten, or potentially be contaminated based on where those other ingredients were produced. It's not dissimilar to something that has no reason to contain peanuts requiring a label indicating it were produced in a facility that handles peanuts.

Oh, I see your point, thanks theatremouse.  I did miss most of the jerky segment, so didn't hear all of that discussion but I've seen that kind of labeling on mixed nuts, for example that don't contain peanuts but have a peanut warning.

While the mirror isn't going to change bulges and lumps and things, the fact that it makes one look skinnier is deceptive for a retailer. I know I've had outfits or dresses/jeans that fit really well and were very flattering... clothes you put on and say dang, this makes me looks thin and hot!! As opposed to the mirror telling you that an outfit makes you look thinner...  

So you get home and try the clothes on in your normal mirror, the slimming effect is gone and the outfit isn't so flattering any more... that's a problem. Or what happens when all you have are skinny mirrors, but then someone takes a picture of you or a video... and that dress isn't as slimming as you thought! It's like Cher on Clueless... i don't trust mirrors so I take polaroids :P

So parents are suppose to buy a costume for their kids to wear on Halloween, buy switch witch (just once), buy candy to hand out, and buy a present to give when said candy is taken away?!  How about just teaching self control?  My parents let us eat 12 pieces on Halloween night.  Then mom took our bags and each evening after we finished our homework we could have 4 - 5 pieces.   On the weekends more.

• Love 4

Altho not much better, I thought the jerk logo was a bear, donkey(ass) & a cock. It was a pig?

I checked the website and you are correct - a bear, a donkey, and a chicken/rooster/cock.  

I think the real logo is worse than the one I thought (I think I was the first to say it was a pig) - it might make people think the jerky is made from horse meat.  

Skinny mirror chick should get one of the K sisters to endorse it.  The ultimate selfie mirror!

I don't know about that, the skinny mirror would also make Kim's famously large butt smaller too.  

But now I am envisioning a future where all the pictures on dating websites are of reflections in a skinny mirror.  Saves time over using photoshop to make yourself look thinner.  They already have apps that get rid of blemishes (although, if you have more than one or two, it ends up giving your face a plasticky look).   

Edited by needschocolate

Saw Switch Witch at Target today... though it wasn't that ugly stuffed doll, but more of a witch figurine. The story is something about a witch needing candy to power the broom or something.. I didn't look at it long enough to get the whole story because I don't really care.

But it was interesting to see it in the store. I didn't even look at the price.

Wow, that's interesting. I bet it happened after their actual Shark Tank appearance or else they would have made a HUGE deal about being in Target, and I'm sure that would have swayed some of the sharks too, even if the product is meh.

Like most of you, I don't quite get it. So there's a book, that's easy to understand. But what is the doll for? Is the doll supposed to be the gift? Or just the witch doll who's supposed to "bring" the gifts? If it's the latter, then that means aside from buying the Switch Witch package, I still have to buy another gift to wrap. And I have to buy gifts every year for the Switch Witch to work? Sounds a lot to do compared to just taking away the candies from the kids.

It's nice to see Bantam Bagels doing well. During their appearance in BTT, I think Lori railroaded them into changing their name when it's clear they didn't want to. But I'm glad they were able to keep the original name and just do "Bagel Stuffins" as an additional brand name or whatever they call that in business. I think the name Bantam Bagels is much better than Bagel Stuffins. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1

just the witch doll who's supposed to "bring" the gifts? If it's the latter, then that means aside from buying the Switch Witch package, I still have to buy another gift to wrap. And I have to buy gifts every year for the Switch Witch to work? Sounds a lot to do compared to just taking away the candies from the kids.

Yes, that's pretty much how they described it. I imagine the only reason for the witch doll, as opposed to just being a book, is probably 3 tiered:

1) They're mimicking elf on a shelf and mensch on a bench

2) It means they can charge more for the package of book+toy rather than just being a book by itself

3) They're trying to make it "a thing". If it were just a book they'd be marketing through book channels and either the story takes off or it doesn't. But now it's a gift set. It's a tsotchke. It's not just the book, or just the doll, or just a character, it's a Thing To Do. So not only do they buy the set once, but if they buy in, they're basically agreeing to a tradition in their household of buying off their kids with new gifts instead of candy. (which is asinine but exactly what they were suggesting).

By making it a sort of box-set thing I think they're also trying to appeal to the type of people who will buy something gimmicky just because it is. Impulse buy for the not-really-close-relative-but-feels-obligated-to-grab-something-vaguely-Holiday-related-that-one-time-this-relative-happens-to-be-around-for-said-holiday-and-wants-to-put-zero-thought-into-it. Like, Uncle Joe Schmo's thought process is "hey this looks like a thing for kids. Ok, done."

This is the type of venture that basically hopes to blow up big for a couple seasons, they make as much money as possible in the mean time, then get the hell out before the bottom falls out. It's not like these people think they invented the Easter Bunny.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

Seems there are two companies selling Switch Witches: the Shark Tank one and the other one that is available at Target.

Wow, and it's exactly the same concept, with a book as well. I wonder what product was first on the market.

EDIT: It looks like the Shark Tank one is the original one, seeing on their website that they're claiming they're the "Original Switch Witch".

If it had been the other company that went on Shark Tank, I think they would have gotten a deal. As silly as the concept is, being on Target before being on Shark Tank would have impressed most of them. Probably Lori. Or maybe even Kevin. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1

So, these people didn't get a patent on their idea for the witch?

I don't think you can't get a patent on the doll. It's just an ordinary doll, right?

And on Amazon, there's a lot of Switch Witch books out there, probably before these bundle gifts came out, so these two companies look like it just added a witch doll to the book.

There are many gluten free jerkies online.  I like that idea, not so much because of the gluten but they are traditionally full of chemicals.  I intend to buy some.  Great diet food if you are watching carbs or gluten or both.  The sodium content is very high.  I will research and buy some gluten free if they boast less salt. 

Teriyaki Beef Jerky: Ingredients: beef, sugar, water, soy sauce solids (wheat, soybeans, salt), salt, natural spices and flavoring, hydrolyzed soy protein, monosodium glutamate, garlic powder, guar gum,. polysorbate 80, caramel color powder, sodium nitrite.

I love the idea of the skinny mirror.  I agree with the creator.  How you look to yourself is key.  We all know when we need to lose a few; our clothes tell that story. 

Switch Witch.  I am opposed to the idea.  I allowed my boys to eat candy and sure, they had a little more around Halloween but I didn't need to lock it up.  They regulated themselves, no big deal.

A friend of mine told her kids to choose a few pieces (very few) and they would put the rest out at night for the great pumpkin to collect it and leave them money.  Kind of like the tooth fairy.  Not a bad idea if your kids get an excessive amount and if you don't lock the rest up and give them only one piece after dinner!  That is just too over the top for me.  Relax, it happens once a year.  My sons have great memories of Halloween!  

Drones are about 5 minutes away from having regulations that puts them in the expensive back yard toy arena.  They are doing menacing things. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I wonder if the passive aggressive mother whose flyer demanding non-dairy, non-peanut, non-gluten Halloween treats to ruin it for all the neighborhood kids so she didn't have to be inconvenienced would be a good Switch Witch customer.

• Love 2

Yeah, that does seem pretty cool. Not sure I'd risk my actual current smartphone in it, but I keep my old ones precisely to do photography projects that risk their lives, like trying out underwater casings. I'm about to get an iPhone 6s and my iPhone 5 still shoots beautiful video - that's the one I'd put in this thing.

• Love 1

Regarding Switch Witch, was it ever said what happens to all the candy that the parents essentially steal?

Yes.  The child gets a toy or money when they open the switch witch the next morning.  

All drones come with hand-held remote control devices to make them fly. My guess is that you'd start the video function on the phone before it takes off, and stop it once you bring it down.

... or, until it crashes and destroys your phone. Maybe I've been around too many RC devices. I always assume they're going to crash soon.

• Love 1

I have to admit the Switch Witch must have stuck in my brain, because as I was passing out Halloween candy the other night I was wondering how many parents were going to throw it away and/or how many kids were going to end up with a weird doll instead. I am not a fan of the Switch Witch at all, for a bunch of reasons, but I hope that they at least include some suggestions inside the box on where to donate the candy instead of just throwing it out. If they don't, they should. I think if the Switch Witch turned into a big "thing" around here I'd be turning off the porch light and pretending I wasn't home on Halloween. If I want to throw money in the trash I'll just do it myself, thankyouverymuch.

• Love 2

I think if a parent liked the idea of switch witch they could do it without buying this product.

And it is okay to set limits for candy with kids. My kids get to have a few pieces a day until thanksgiving and then out it goes.

Agreed all the way around. I mean the Tooth Fairy manages to do okay without having a whole book and doll (I think - who knows, maybe there's a gift set for her now too). 

I have no problem with limits on the candy!  I just have a problem with throwing it away when there are worthy causes it could go to, especially for the people who let their kids trick-or-treat for hours and get a massive amount - this year I had one group where the kids' buckets were mostly empty but the Mom was carrying a very full pillowcase of candy. IMO if you (general you, not you specifically) don't want them to have that much, don't let them go to that many houses. Seems better to me than tossing out the neighbors' money because the kids got too much candy. (ETA: also seems better to me than replacing most of their candy with a doll and a gift)

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 1

Yeah it is very wasteful, I'll agree and great point about the tooth fairy. When I was a kid we just stuck the tooth under the pillow or wrapped it in a Kleenex. We didn't have all these special pouches or pillows for the occasion. I think an app that reminds you to actually get the tooth and leave money would be more useful because she's missed our house a couple of times.

A lot of houses here seem to overbuy for Halloween and kids get a fistful of candy rather than the one or two pieces that I got trick or treating per house so way too much candy. Maybe send some to the troops!

• Love 1

I'll be on the next episode pitching my new candy company that makes fake candy that your kids don't actually eat.  It's half the price of regular candy, gluten, allergen, carb, and calorie free.  It cuts down on your candy purchase budget, and allows picky parents to take it away from their kids and pitch it guilt free!  There will be a diet version for adults.

• Love 3

Regarding Switch Witch, was it ever said what happens to all the candy that the parents essentially steal?

I guess the parents eat it? Or throw it out. I saw this Jimmy Kimmel clip where parents pretend to have eaten all their kids candy and films the kids reactions.  It's hilarious and I think what would happen in most houses where a kid was told about Switch Witch.

I mentioned the concept to my mom, and she said parents should just steal one of two pieces a day and get rid of it. Then the kids don't notice. But she "couldn't remember" if she ever actually did that to me.

• Love 2

I'll be on the next episode pitching my new candy company that makes fake candy that your kids don't actually eat.  It's half the price of regular candy, gluten, allergen, carb, and calorie free.  It cuts down on your candy purchase budget, and allows picky parents to take it away from their kids and pitch it guilt free!  There will be a diet version for adults.

I hope the (empty) packaging is recyclable... ;)

• Love 1

People bring boatloads of candy to work, but I assume it's what they overbought for giving out on Halloween, not what they took from their kids. (I assume that because there are a lot of the same kinds of candy.) It's in our kitchen and I have to eat it. I am providing a service, really.

• Love 1