Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E07: Week 5

The training footage we've seen suggests we are to be treated to some good dancing this evening. Jay's paso looks promising, Kellie's jive looking super sharp. Helen's quickstep and Peter's rumba also looking good. Hope Anita can deliver on her tango. Georgia looked a little shaky in her salsa. Jamelia is back doing ballroom for the first time since her not great week one waltz. Ainsley's jive will be fun, but I suspect not demonstrate a great deal of technique. Jeremy is back in hold - anything could happen, and Carol has ballroom again. She's improving little, by very little. Kirsty will be pivoting her way around a Viennese waltz and Katie has salsa. With Anton. 'Nuff said.

Some fun behind the scenes on Friday: https://amp.twimg.com/v/b07d0935-9afe-444d-adb6-968439112d2a

Edited by ceebee

Thanks for the link Ceebee.  Wish we saw more of that kind of stuff on ITT.

I had a moment recently, an isn't-that-wierd moment, when I was looking at the official group celebrity photo to remind myself of who had gone. I noticed (1st) that in Anita's pose - which was standing on one foot with the knee of the other leg up and bent (sideways of course as that's the attractive way to do that) - that she didn't point her foot. Interesting that she is still struggling with that. Then, quite near her, I saw Georgia in a similar pose. She also didn't have her foot pointed (although it seemed to be positioned a tiny bit more attractively than Anita's). Georgia, too, still has to work on pointing her feet.

So, I wondered if I could spot anyone else, and on the other side of the group there was one other celeb with a knee-up pose and low and behold! The foot was very well pointed! It was Kirsty! Good thing I'm not in the habit of using the group photo to predict who will do well and who will not. I admit I haven't noticed if Kirsty points her feet or not because there have been so many other problems to distract me. But it's good to know she doesn't have to work on that particular issue.

<this just made me chuckle. what are the odds?>

Congrats to Jamelia and Tristan on their engagement! Kidding! But that was one of the weirdest uses of a prop yet. I could maybe see if it were a song that expressly mentioned marriage, not just a generic love song. 

Kirsty and Peter are tied. I was happy to see Kirsty improve so much this week. I think she has all of the ingredients to be a good dancer, but her fear gets in the way. That dress was gorgeous. The judges kept harping on Peter's stops and accents during the rumba. I had noticed Jannette doing the same thing. To me it looked like a choreography choice for the music, but one that was strange for the rumba. Even I know that the rumba needs continuous movement.

Poor Katie. With all of the choreography help on set now, I hope Anton finds a way to stop this pattern of Katie doing so well at ballroom and not in latin. I think she has the potential to do so much better with latin.

I liked Kellie's dancing better this week than in previous weeks. I still don't feel like I get enough personality from her though.

Well, the Guardian live blogger (http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/live/2015/oct/24/strictly-come-dancing-2015-week-five-live) is of the opinion that Katie and Anton kind of got hosed score-wise, and I'll agree. Yes, it was messy in spots, but it had more pure salsa content than G&G's disco-salsa. Yes, Georgia danced it cleaner, but her pigeon toes still bug.

Jamelia still can't get through a full ballroom routine without getting flustered (and that's really what it is), but I still saw marked improvement over her last ballroom routine, so hoping they'll at least make Blackpool.

Gosh, I hope Ainsley gets the votes - I just love him. It's not so much that he doesn't have the right technique as he's inventing his own, wacky technique. Maybe we can get him his own cooking/dancing show?

I've been mainly lukewarm on Anita and Gleb, but that really was a fabulous tango. They're one of those couples that's slightly under the radar, but could end up still there at the end. Kellie and Kevin are also in this category - great jive, although I felt the theme was a bit clunky and distracting.

I love me a rock&roll paso, and I love me some Jay & Aliona - so yeah, I pretty much loved this. Although guy-liner would have been nice. Just sayin'.

Jeremy's dances always reduce me to fits of giggles. Which is fine when you're dancing a silly jive, but not so good when you're trying to dance an elegant waltz. You're supposed to sweep her elegantly across the floor, not pull her like a sack of potatoes you need to load into your lorry! 

• Love 2

Poor Katie. With all of the choreography help on set now, I hope Anton finds a way to stop this pattern of Katie doing so well at ballroom and not in latin. I think she has the potential to do so much better with latin.

James Jordan noted on Twitter that he thought it was Anton and not Katie who screwed up.  It's sad to see that Latin is still Anton's Kryptonite -- I REALLY want him and Katie to make the finals because I am dying to see what kind of Showdance Anton can come up with.

Incidentally, I haven't watched the dances yet, but I hear that the entire episode was the bull's bollocks. :)

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2
(edited)

Incidentally, I haven't watched the dances yet, but I hear that the entire episode was the bull's bollocks. :)

Naughty Bruno!

Georgia's disco-salsa was enjoyable, and she can certainly move her body, but getting into and out of the lifts broke the flow. Objectively I think she may be the most rounded of the women - good at both Latin and ballroom - but something falls short that I can't put my finger on.

Not a Peter fan at all, but think he did okay with rumba. I got what the judges were saying about the dynamics being off and falling back on 'pop' dancing habits. Overall I find his dancing too aggressive, so softening for the rumba was a challenge he (mostly) met.

Jeremy, I love you. Please stay long enough to have one glorious dance. Just the one would be super!

Jamelia's foxtrot was all kinds of frustrating. Started so well and fell apart. What's happening in her head is hobbling her and she doesn't have Carol's popularity to carry her through. I'm starting to lose the faith, although she had my online votes last night.

Anita is my favorite of the women. Love her and love Gleb. The tango was cool, sharp, synchronised and under marked.

I can see Kellie is a good dancer but the partnership is off-putting. They're both a bit over the top and too 'theater' for me. I thought Kellie's rehearsal footage looked fantastic, but something got lost in translation, or she was exhausted, or something, but it felt labored. Kevin loves to tell a story, but it got in the way and they should have just danced a jive. That bloody suitcase! And what happened to Kellie when she ran off down the end and the camera stayed on Kevin?? Curious.

Carol looked the best she has since week one. Wardrobe have mostly been 'unhelpful' so far, but she looked lovely last night. I've got nothing on the dancing, though - she bores me to tears. Think it was better?? Bruno was unnecessarily mean. Thought she might cry :-(

Ainsley did his Ainsley-thing. He's fun, and I adore Natalie, but I'm finding it frustrating and a little repetitive.

I can't give an unbiased opinion on Jay, because I'm all aboard the Jaliona love train, but thought the paso was great. He needed better shaping in his back/hips, but his arms were lovely, and I liked his intensity. He still needs to work on his expression, but I'm not keen on overdoing the faces, so it mostly works for me. Lots of content to show off her celebrity rather than herself, which is a habit some of the other women are prone to. Thank you, Aliona.

Katie and Anton were a mess. Love Katie and so, so want her to be good at this, but Anton needs to bring in some help if he isn't up to snuff on the Latin. Gah!

Helen is gorgeous. Aljaž is gorgeous. Thought the QS was a bit sloppy, but the judges saw different. Top half of her dress was distracting and her boobs just kept looming out at me!

Kirsty, bless her, does not have dancing in her veins, but she is making improvement. She seems to approach it like an athlete might - fix the arms, work on the posture,remember the steps, repeat, repeat, repeat - but she misses on lyricism. She looked lovely and I warmed to her seeing her close to tears after getting good comments. I feel Brendan is somewhat detached and not quite giving her the right support, which is a shame.

Edited by ceebee

Katie and Anton were a mess. Love Katie and so, so want her to be good at this, but Anton needs to bring in some help if he isn't up to snuff on the Latin. Gah!

Yeah, from what James said on Twitter yesterday, that was really on Anton.  It seems that he was the one who messed up during the dance, not she.