Type keyword(s) to search

Master Of None - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought I would check this show out just because of how many top 10 best shows of the year lists it seemed to make it on. The first episode wasn't laugh out loud hilarious, but it was consistently amusing for almost the whole thing, which by itself is also

I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old and a lot of the kids stuff was bang on (except the weiner and the waffles, but that was still funny). The thing with Dev trying to go to the cool gelato place and the kids wanting their standard (probably not as good) frozen yogurt was pretty accurate, and the bit about him listing off all the flavours and them just wanting vanilla was pretty funny. As soon as he started with the list I was thinking "you never give a kid that many choices". If I tried that with my 5 year old it would take forever for her to decide. The bathroom stuff with the girl insisting she was a big girl but then saying she still needed him to be in the room made me smile.

And the morse dorky friend- why? His bouncy house behavior was selfish and intolerable.

That guy was the only thing that really didn't work for me. I found him super annoying and not in a funny way, especially with his stupid made up slang and the whole thing with the bouncy house/floor piano.

I loved this episode and I love this show. I hope we get a second season. I loved that just when you expect them to do something predictable (follow the girl to Japan!), the plot takes a more realistic twist. I also love it when his parents are on screen. It's like watching my own parents on screen.

Was not sure what to expect here. I usually can only take Aziz Ansari in small doses. He was tolerable (barely) in Parks and Rec because he was merely one part of a large and talented ensemble. So a show where he is the lead did not appeal to me. But I heard some good things and decided to give it a chance. I am glad I did. This was not only entertaining but thoughtful as well.

Ansari is basically playing himself which, as I always suspected, is just a toned down version of Tom Haverford. Which is good, though I guess it would be too much to expect fewer Ansari-isms. I half expected him to have a discussion about what "the baller move" would be in regards to the kids disgusting sandwiches.

I was very glad to see Noel Wells, who I think should never have been let go by SNL. Her Lena Dunham impression alone should have secured her a 5 year stint. In any case, she is a welcome presence,

I could do without the giant oaf who I thought at first was Brian Posehn. But it couldn't have been Posehn, as he at least is funny, whereas the dufus on this show is most decidedly not.

• Love 1

Also, the on-going revelation/depression about the brownface actor,

I thought it was kind of strange that they kept referring to Fisher Stevens as being in Short Circuit 2. He was, but he was also in the first movie as well.

I liked their take on one of the touchier issue in show business and it was nice to see it portrayed from the point of view of people smack dab in the middle of it, rather than that of a third party that has no tangible investment in it. Which sadly, is how Hollywood often likes to portray issues of race, Think "Cry Freedom", the movie about Steven Biko where the main character was a white journalist. Or the legendary tales of the making of the movie Panther, where studio execs supposedly wanted to insert a fictional white character who would exist to help form the Black Panthers. Those are old examples, but it still happens today, as the recent movie about Stonewall proved.

Despite the fact I have followed Aziz's career since Human Giant, I did not realize until last night when he talked about it on Conan, that though he isn't religious his parents are Muslim. It would be interesting if they explored religion in the second season.

Aziz may have been raised by Muslim parents, but Dev most likely has Hindu roots even though it is not specifically stated. Dev and both of his parents have names more commonly used by Hindus on the show.

I find it a little sad that Aziz, whatever his personal beliefs are, had to change a part of his Muslim heritage to make his show more palatable to executives and audiences. This article expounds on that particular detail:

http://theaerogram.com/aziz-ansari-dev-shah-whats-name/

H. Jon Benjamin!  Seeing him on this was hilarious.  I still hear Archer though.  Or the can of beans from Wet Hot Summer America.

Yea it is weird to hear Sterling Archer's voice come out of someone who looks so different (especially since most of the other Archer characters are modeled after the voice actors).

3rd episode in and i am still finding this show what i would call steadily amusing. Every scene is funny although nothing is super hilarious. But at the same time nothing is really bad. And i think making a show tgat works on that level is impressive.

• Love 1

Not a huge fan of Aziz but this worked better than I expected.  I do think it would have been funnier, well to me at least, if the babysitting had gone almost perfectly.  And the payoff is the sandwiches in the end with Dev realizing that, nope, not going to eat that sandwich and that serves enough notice he is not in that place and is quite happy he is not.

• Love 1

I also love it when his parents are on screen. It's like watching my own parents on screen.

Dev's (Aziz's) dad is hilarious that guys delivery and how he is always saying "man" really makes me laugh.

And it equally makes sense for Dev to go to cooking school in Italy, because he really seems to have hit a wall with his acting career (and I do think he doesn't have the passion for it anymore), and he really does seem to enjoy making pasta.  

Did he ever have a passion for acting? I got the feeling he did commercials because they were something he was able to do, and they paid decent money, and progressing to real acting (movies) was just sort of the thing he felt you were supposed to do. Kind of like how he saw relationships.

Although my favourite part was H. Jon Benjamin setting Dev straight about what relationships are really like and how 70% is actually pretty good. I mean you can't really compare it to a rotten tomatoes score, since putting up with something that has a 70% score for 2 hours is a lot different than being together with someone for the rest of your life. 

This was terrific! My dad is Puerto Rican and moved to the continental US as a grad student. He emails me several articles a DAY.  

I loved those dads. Can't wait to watch it again. That reminds me I should email my dad  

THE SICKENING!!!!!!

• Love 1

This was a really fun episode.  I'm not usually the biggest sitcom fan but I like the actor and I particularly enjoy a couple of things: One that this isn't about his desperate struggle to make ends meet.  He's reasonably successful and just sort of living his life. 

I loved that this episode went for touching without being maudlin or overly sentimental.   A genius touch was after Brian's dad started his own Chinese restaurant, the chicken dishes being carried by also had the head on the platter.  I have no idea why that little detail just cracked me up, it just did. 

Also, Dev's mom refusing to eat anything other than white rice at the restaurant was amusing the hell out of me.  Just that sort of low-grade passive aggressive behavior in moms of a certain generation is a nearly universal experience.  

Liked the show, glad to hear it's coming back.

Why did they name it Master of None?  I know it comes from Seinfeld but is there some obvious tie into that show, other than it's about a younger generation of NY hipsters?

10 hours ago, scrb said:

Why did they name it Master of None?  I know it comes from Seinfeld but is there some obvious tie into that show, other than it's about a younger generation of NY hipsters?

It comes from the old saying "Jack of all trades, master of none."  Meaning kinda good at a lot of things but not really mastering any of them.

On August 26, 2016 at 11:22 PM, scrb said:

Honestly this show reminds me of Seinfeld just more "in depth". So I watched this show and I was plesently surprised. I didn't find it funny so I am confused by people saying it is funny. More like mildly amusing. But I enjoyed the unusually in depth discussion of issues that "matter". After seeing the vapid and horrible people of "Girls" and "Love" or most any other show these days. I felt like the discussions were all real discussions I have had with friends and people I know.  And happy that you can still have entertainment and touch on these real issues. 

But I really was happy and amazed at the topics that most shows won't touch. Such as:

- a real examination of the drawbacks to haivng kids, including brat kids that you never see on tv.

- discussing the parents as people that deserve graittude. Even when they can be annoying. 

- a real discusson of how old people get pushed off to the side and coddled but really they are cool and can handle themselves a lot better than we give them credit for. 

- the discussion of racism against indians. It was both on point... and sort of "shrugged" at like, well what are you going to do?

- the great discussion of the "creepy" that women have to deal with but never talk about. Sex in the city never touched that. 

And I am sure many others. Good job! 

• Love 5

Although I can understand the pressure Dev was feeling, relationships aren't like movies. It's not and it'll never be a finished product; it's ever evolving and constantly changing for better or worse. I suppose that's why that kindling metaphor made perfect sense. Sure, there are people who are 100% when getting married, but that doesn't mean that another relationship won't last or is somehow lesser because it isn't 100%. 

• Love 2

Just binged watched this show. I love it. It's funny but it's also sweet without being cloying. It's a bonus that the older characters are portrayed as real and not sitcom caricatures, ..as they so often a. As an old person myself, I appreciate that. 

(Kevin Costner was cut out of the Big Chill, except for the scenes of his body at the funeral home. )

I trudged through Season 1 of this show.  It received raves and I was never quite sure why.  But this episode was terrible, and boring, and poorly acted... I just don't get the success of MON.  I guess based on the lack of activity on these boards, it's not very successful...

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Samsnee said:

She wasn't wearing her ring in the last scene. 

Spoiler

I can't decide if that was a flashback to episode 9 or if she stayed and they are now lovers in bed together. It didn't look like she was wearing Arnold's shirt in the last scene. So... did she stay?

Edited by HollyG
(edited)

Okay, then. I'm not a huge fan of the series overall and think some of the acting by the non-actors (including Aziz) is not good, with a lot of self-consciously stilted and rushed line readings. I thought Aziz's parents were even worse this time. His dad seems to be a nice person and is certainly enthusiastic, but the critical praise for him is a little over the top and maybe unearned? Overall, the many critics' top 10 lists and best of the year accolades for the show were surprising to me.

Coming from that head space, I thought this season was even more self-indulgent and meandering. I didn't exactly mind watching 22 minutes about random doormen and deaf New Yorkers, but that's not saying I understood it, or laughed at all.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, HollyG said:
  Hide contents

I can't decide if that was a flashback to episode 9 or if she stayed and they are now lovers in bed together. It didn't look like she was wearing Arnold's shirt in the last scene. So... did she stay?

I think it was a flash forward. Their clothes were different. 

• Love 1