Type keyword(s) to search

Master Of None - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I know they presented us with a "hot" character in Anush. But I'm all about Ravi. My biggest crush on TV after this role. I rewatched all the episodes of Grandfathered just to see more of the actor.

You should look for his documentary Meet The Patels.

• Love 1

I love the show , but I am certainly not bowled over by Noel Wells here.   I was impressed by Aziz's range of emotion in the breakup episode; I just don't feel or get much from her.  I feel like she's just playing quirky.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I don't know what's wrong between Noel and Aziz but the chemistry is off.  I can 'see' them both acting cute.  Because the last few episodes were so focused around their relationship, it made the show end on a low point for me.  But again, I had read reviews from friends that were like 'this is the best show since Seinfeld' so I was bound to be let down.

You should look for his documentary Meet The Patels.

Looks like that got good reviews.  I'll make a point of watching sometime ...

Wasn't there a recurring skit about an Indian family named Patels on a British tv comedy show?  I remember seeing it now and then, about 10-15 years ago.  It was very funny ... does it ring any bells for anyone?

Looks like that got good reviews. I'll make a point of watching sometime ...

Wasn't there a recurring skit about an Indian family named Patels on a British tv comedy show? I remember seeing it now and then, about 10-15 years ago. It was very funny ... does it ring any bells for anyone?

Are you thinking of The Kumars at No 42 or Goodness Gracious Me?

Edited by Ronin Jackson
  • Love 1

I was disappointed in this first episode. Since I just finished Season 5 of Louie, several friends said this was a "must see".

But the storyline was predictable and tame. We've seen this show before, over and over, and I didn't feel there was anything fresh or insightful- or even just plain fun. And the morse dorky friend- why? His bouncy house behavior was selfish and intolerable.

And please- how many toy store scenes with that piano, the meet and great of an ex, and "oh we're so like kids, let's play with toys".

Two laughs - the level of Uber consternation and the little girl shouting out ethnicities.

Nice- black and white vision of parenthood.

I didn't even get the sandwich rebellion. The kids drew a picture and made sandwiches as a gesture - so after all your endurance- they did something selfless. Eat the sandwich.

But it is just first episode so I'll keep trying it. I'm not as cranky as I sound!

• Love 1
And please- how many toy store scenes with that piano, the meet and great of an ex, and "oh we're so like kids, let's play with toys".

I agree it was a cliche set up, although I thought the playing with the toys part was new.

All in all, the pilot is pretty weak compared to most of the rest of the season - hope it pays off for you!

An unexpected mention in an article about the ending of America's Next Top Model (don't ask why I was reading it):

From the New York Times December 4, 2015

Why should you — anyone not among the dedicated and now-bereft fans of “ANTM,” as it was known — care?

Should we not all celebrate the end of a major chapter in the dehumanizing era of reality TV, and proclaim the triumph of the small-screen oeuvre, as embodied by “Master of None” and “Fargo,” instead of mourn a histrionic competition that showcased the most-base emotions — jealousy, antagonism and insecurity? (Plus, let’s be honest, a lot of bad clothes and makeup.)

Whenever my husband and I start to think we might be ready for kids, we typically have a conversation like Dev's pasta analogy. We had one two weeks ago. Our conversation went something like, "Well, we could have kids, but then we won't be able to sit and binge Jessica Jones in a day. We'd have to take care of another human. That would suck." 

• Love 3

I loved the walk home scene so incredibly much. I busted out laughing with every music change. 

I completely bought that Dev didn't see the handshake thing as sexist. He sees the major things like the masturbator on the subway and the women being pushed to the back of the commercial, but the handshake was more subtle and not as easily seen.

I also loved how small Aziz looked next to that rake.

• Love 1

Watching Brooklyn 99 I'm reminded of all the interracial couples.  This show is a master of them!

Jake Peralta and Santiago

Rosa Diaz and Marcus (played by Nick Cannon)

Chief Holt and his husband (Kevin?) 

Chief Holt's ex is played by Nick Offerman

There's been one episode interracial couples too, like when Charles Boyle dated Archie Panjabi.  This show does it so often and so seamlessly that I don't even notice it until I force myself to realize for the purposes of this thread.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

My husband and I actually started looking up how much it would cost to buy a robotic seal like Paro. Unfortunately, the answer was about $5,000, so that dream quickly died.

WTF??? It can't be that expensive to produce to justify extorting $5,000 from senior citizens.

• Love 1

Best rated how?  I didn't think Netflix released their ratings.

As in critical ratings. There's an article somewhere on the interwebs that aggregated the critical reception of Netflix shows and then ranked them accordingly. Unfortunately I don't have the time to find it. When I do I will link it here.

• Love 1

Isn't it just a double dose of the regular pill?

I see what you did there with your screen name - Little Feat fan much?

Eta: Oh yeah, back then, the prescription was not called Plan B. It was called RU486, which had us in tears, we were laughing so hard. The laughter gave me such bad hiccups I had to think of terrible things to stop laughing because I was afraid I would throw up the RU486. And yes, I was actively trying to 86 any pregnancy!

I used to wonder whether there was some inside joke with that - "Are you for 86'ing pregnancies?"

Okay first episode.  As mentioned above, I got a kind of Louie vibe but much weaker in execution.  Say Louie Light, or Louie 2.0.

I'd have told the kids, "That looks so yummy I'm going to take it home and have it for dessert later."  But that wouldn't have been funny.  Which is why I don't have a show on Netflix.  Annnyway...

I'm in for now at least.

If I have two watchable comedies between Master of None and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, I'll be doing well.  The long drought (for me) most recently ruled by Parks and Rec will be over.  (ETA: Much to my surprise, the love interest in the pilot of Crazy Ex is an Asian man.  Perhaps they've finally arrived as leading men on mainstream tv.)

Have you tried Brooklyn 99? If you loved Parks and Rec, I highly recommend that one, as it's also co-created by Michael Schur. (Who I think is also an EP of Master of None).

I really loved this show. And I think it was funny. I kind of calmer type of funny, but still made me laugh quite a bit. But I love Aziz's stand up, so maybe it's not a surprise that I'm a fan of the show.

(1) In general, I preferred to be friends with someone before dating them (it's a good prescreening process because if I can't be friends with you, then I definitely don't want to date you). Dev's experience with Alice supported my practice because when you ask someone on a date and you really don't know them, you run the risk of finding out that they're into aggressive Cartman impressions, stealing coats, or hypothetically blowing strangers.

(2) Ha, who gives themselves "Little Funyuns" as a nickname?!

(1) Or wanting to do some coke and play laser tag.  Hmm, actually....no, never mind.

"You got to meet her outside, man."

"Um, yeah, I actually might just kick it here."

"Probably a good call, playa."

(2) She's definitely little, and she definitely loves those Funyuns.

This ep saved the series for me. The first two eps didn't make me laugh so I almost bailed (his parents clearly aren't actors). I love Aziz's standup so it's cool to see how the eps elaborate on each bit.

I'm more of a casual fan, but I can kind of tell when the dialogue seems to be set ups/punchlines for standup premises.

Liked how Brian started out saying that he felt like Sherlock was his new favorite show, then looked progressively sleepier, then was passed out while it was still on. And Arnold going from "Respect my Cumberbatch" to "What's that, 'Batch?"

Edited by Lone Wolf

Finished the whole series in about a week. I really enjoyed it. Solid show all around. Interesting perspective and ideas presented. It reminded me the most of Louis CK's show, except, to me, honestly, better. I know Louie is critically acclaimed but often times I find it to be esoteric with over the top surrealism that makes it hard for me to enjoy. I found this show much more realistic and relatable. They aren't exactly the same as Louis CK's show is not necessarily story driven and is more of a mix of skits and sort of a story.

Anyway too much about Louis.......Dez is a unique character without being a stereotype. I like the exploration of a minority in show business and in general of a bit actor in show business and the lifestyle it entails. I actually wish more of the story was about that and less about his personal love life, but that had its moments as well. The next to last episode exploring the whole evaluotion of the relationship from moving in to the brink of the split was well done. And I am glad they did not go with the cliche of him running off the Japan to be near her at the end of the finale.

Its short on comedy at times. ANd I do wish the show would explore more of the other characters and not just Dez. Although I didn't really care for his lesbian friend. She is so flat in her delivery and acting.

Good use of guests as well from Benjamin to Claire Danes to.......that guy I know from the Americans.

I'd definitely watch a Season two.

• Love 1

I was actually 70% on Dev and Rachel as a couple as well. I thought they were cute together in a hipster kind of way, and they both seem like decent people, I just didn't get a deep love or connection from them. They still didn't really seem to "get" each other after a year of living together, and weren't able to communicate about important issues without one of them getting upset. They could have worked things out eventually if both had decided to make the relationship a priority, but since Rachel felt such a strong pull about Japan, I think breaking up was the right thing to do. They'll definitely learn a lot about themselves while living abroad, so if they decide to give the relationship another go, it would be more fulfilling for them.

Did she really feel a strong pull to Japan, though, or did she just sense Dev was freaking out about them and decide it was a nice excuse to make a definite break and get away from the relationship before it withered away and they were miserable? It seemed out of nowhere, Dev seemed to know nothing about her ever mentioning it before.

I enjoyed the finale though. And the first season as a whole.

Did she really feel a strong pull to Japan, though, or did she just sense Dev was freaking out about them and decide it was a nice excuse to make a definite break and get away from the relationship before it withered away and they were miserable? It seemed out of nowhere, Dev seemed to know nothing about her ever mentioning it before.

Those things sometimes do come out of nowhere - when I was an undergrad in Germany I saw a poster about a graduate program in Scotland, and without having ever even been to Scotland I decided right then and there that that was something I wanted to do. I was dating a guy at the time and he started talking about getting serious, and was upset that I was considering a move, but as soon as I got my acceptance letter I just had that clarity that the guy wasn't "it" for me and that I had to break it off. Leaving the boyfriend, moving to Scotland, and doing the graduate program was one of the best decisions I've ever made, so whenever I see someone experience the urge to move abroad, I always root for them to do it.

• Love 1

Finally began watching this.  A decent star so far.  Not laughing out loud too much yet, but I still chuckling a good deal, find the stories enjoyable and fun, and really liking the Dev character.  I know Aziz Ansari's style can be a bit much at times (he could go overboard on Parks & Rec, but I still generally enjoyed him and the Tom character), but I think he's got a good feel for this character.  I'm sure it helps that he writes and creates this.

Besides him, I totally remember Noel Wells being on Saturday Night Light for one season, so I hope this works better for her.  And it is always good seeing David Krumholtz, even if I'm still getting use to the weight gain.

The kids were the worse.  I knew Dev was going to regret volunteering to babysit.  At least he made it out in one piece, even if he had to pay for a bunch of waffles and almost got put on the sex offender's list.

OK, this one, I really loved.  It managed to be hilarious, but also heartfelt, while not going too much into cheesy territory.  I knew that Azia Ansari's real life parents were going to be on this show, so that made their interactions even better.  I do agree him mom isn't as strong of as an actress as his dad (and both are still a bit more raw compared to more experienced ones like Clem Chung a.k.a. Brian's dad), but they still made it work, and I really enjoyed them.

I also really liked the Brian character and I hope he'll be showing back up again.

While the "back stories" of immigrants has been done before, I always enjoy them since I do think a lot of them really are like that.  I have relatives from India and their stories are very similar to the one Dev's dad had.

Besides the family stuff, I also enjoyed Dev's struggle with auditioning for a B-movie (the scene in the coffee house was hilarious), and I love the bit where Dev and Brian were complaining about how superhero movies are getting too overcrowded.

H. Jon Benjamin!  Seeing him on this was hilarious.  I still hear Archer though.  Or the can of beans from Wet Hot Summer America.

I also totally recognized Nina Arianda from Hannibal as Alice.  I think she is pretty, but I'm kind of surprised she is considered a bombshell in this universe/show, because she isn't considered conventionally attractive, I think (I mean, I remember some complaints when she was casted on Hannibal and why would someone who looks like Hugh Dancy go for her.)  Still, I thought she was fun in this.  But I do wonder if there will ever be follow-up, because since he's at that bar that Dev and his buddies hang out in, I would think they would cross paths again.

Glad that we got a bit more of Denise in this one.  I like how they are slowly establishing Dev's group with her, Arnold, and Brian.  I love that they apparently do TV marathons.  I'm surprised they got the rights to actually show Sherlock scenes.

Noel Wells is charming, which kind of surprises me, since she was kind of a blank slate on Saturday Night Live.  Maybe SNL just didn't know how to use her (certainly wouldn't be the first time that happened.)

I heard about this episode and was looking forward to it.  I thought they did a good job at keeping it funny, and not going too preachy with it, but I sadly found myself nodding along with what was going on.  Because, yeah, even now, networks these days would be concern that two Indians or Asians on a show, is "too much," and that having any more then a token minority runs the risk of making the show that "insert race, gender, sexual orientation-type show."  And it is true that there are some audience members who would think that way.  So, I totally got Dev's frustration over the entire thing.  Including the accent part, because I imagine it has to be annoying for an actor to keep being asked to do a certain accent, because casting folks are too narrow-minded.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I read this was loosely based on an incident where Aziz Ansari lost out in a role for a Transformer flick, because he refused to do one.

That said, I did think it was weird that they were doing all this, all while introducing Dev's agent, who was getting real close to the "sassy black woman" character trope.  I think some of it was going for a typical loud and angry agent, that most shows do, but that still kept popping up into my head.

Hope we see more of Ravi.

• Love 2

Claire Danes and Noah Emmerich.  Nice!  Talk about getting some big guest stars for this episode.  That whole subplot was crazy.  I loved that Dev tried to do the right thing at first, but then Noah was a dick to him about the ice cream.  It is always the little things!  The resolution was a bit too nicely wrapped up, but I loved Dev and Denise's bafflement over what just happened.

That said, I think all the stuff involving Colin Salmon was my favorite.  I always love him, so him playing this odd version of himself, is hilarious.  A Colin Salmon who loves dominos, making Cinnabons, and really, really loved his cat.  Poor Shakespeare!  Between this and Limitless, I'm at least glad some shows are using him, after Arrow kind of casted him aside.

Glad that H. Jon Benjamin's character made another appearance.

Interesting that this episode seemed so different from the rest, mainly due to it being mostly just Dev and Rachel by themselves, and actually be away from New York City.  It was basically a romantic comedy wrapped up into a 30 minute episode.  But I enjoyed it more then I expected.  It helps that Aziz Ansari and Noel Wells have a natural rapport with one another.  But I also liked how they showed the ups and downs, even before Dev made them missed their flight.  Like how they still had some nervous small talk and awkward silences, finding out she doesn't eat a lot of meat, or him forgetting she's from Texas.  Typical first date mistakes, only it happens on a big-ass trip like this.  But despite all that, you could also that they had a lot in common, and how much they were enjoying each other.

And then when the big mistake did happen, I liked that while Rachel was understandably mad about it and annoyed at Dev, it never felt like their relationship was doomed.  It was still a screw-up on Dev's part, but Rachel still likes him enough to keep trying to see where this relationship will head.

Liked all the shots of Nashville, although being a viewer of the show on ABC meant, I kept waiting for either Rayna, Juliette, or Deacon to suddenly pop up.  Or for Dev and Rachel to visit the Blue Bird Cafe.

The guy exercising in the background while Dev and Ravi were weighing options, was great. So funny. "Keep those carbs away from me!

That was the prettiest Indian man if not one of the prettiest men I've ever seen. I mean, I've seen some pretty dudes in my day.

Seriously. The minute he walked in the door, I predicted that the "Hollywood casting people" would wind up choosing him for the sitcom based on his look alone, because that's the stereotype for Hollywood. I was glad they didn't fall into that cliche, although I see on IMDb that Anush (Gerrard Lobo) will be in another episode, so they may still go there.

Damn, this was probably the most serious episode yet.  Still a few laughs (mainly when Dev and Denise took out the Subway Masturbator), but it was actually kind of dark at times.  The contrast between Dev/Arnold walking home and the woman (Diana?), was pretty harrowing, and something I can totally see.  I'm not sure when it first hit me that this goes on, but I remember it was something along the lines of when I leave work late at night and I (a guy), have no issues walking to my car alone, but my female co-workers usually don't go alone.  Somewhere along the way, I was like "Holy shit, they are probably worried about being followed and/or attacked!" It just never occurred to me for the longest time, and I imagine there are several other situations where I will never feel the way they did.

As for Dev, I was able to by him not seeing the handshake slight as sexist, and needed to get knocked on the head a few times.  From his perspective, this was a guy who just rewrote an entire commercial to let the actresses take front and center, so he probably thought the guy was an upstanding feminist, and it didn't even occur to him that maybe the guy still can be condescending or slight women.  And, unfortunately, when Rachel pointed it out, he made the common mistake of first being dismissive, and then defensive, because he thought that Rachel was saying he was sexist for not noticing it. I found the whole thing pretty realistic.  Thankfully, he seems to realize what he did was wrong, and Rachel isn't unreasonable, and willing to move past it.  But I do hope they continue to explore these type of stories.

Also, thanks Azia and writers, for having Arnold spell out what feminism actually means.  Normally, it could be said that was too on the nose, but considering how many seem to have taken that word to mean man-hating or some shit, it really needs to be pointed out as many times as possible that it means equality between men and women.  Really need more moments like this to counterpoint all the people trying to make it sound like feminists want to destroy men or something: usually by cherry picking speeches from the fringe portion, which is something you could to pretty much any big movement out there.

• Love 5

Grandma Carol was awesome.  I love that she had a bit of an edge to her (the whole "borrowing" a car when she was younger), but she wasn't a stereotype, and was perfectly happy with Rachel dating someone who was Indian, and didn't even seem to care that they officially met during an one-night stand.  And, in general, I like that this kind of was a continuation of episode two, that focuses on old people, and how they shouldn't be taken for granted, just because they might be hard to understand, due to how different their lives were.

The B-plot with Arnold and Paro the Robotic Seal was way more emotional then I would have thought.  Glad Paro found another companion!

This is the second time the show has brought up The Blacklist.  I guess it's sort of a go to reference for a causal show that a lot of people watch, although James Spader does elevate it in order to separate it from the rest of the procedurals out there.

• Love 1

With the exception of scene with Dev's parents, this was almost like a two person play.  I thought Aziz Ansari and Noel Wells were great in this, and I continue to love their interactions.

For better or worse, I feel like this show really has captured what relationships are like.  From the bliss at first, and then it gradually wearing off, and becoming more and more mundane.  And that things or ticks that are normally cute at first, can suddenly annoy the other partner very much, like clothes on the floor or trying to be funny instead of serious.  Numerous fights, both little and big.  And, yet, there are a lot of good moments.  Great moments.  And that's why couples like Dev and Rachel will (hopefully) stick together.  Because no matter how mad they can get at each other at times, they still love each other.

Overall, I thought this was very well done.

• Love 1

Sad that Dev and Rachel broke up, but while the whole wedding vow thing was a bit much, I do think it makes sense on some levels.  While I do think they love each other, there are clearly a lot of issues that needs to be worked out, and a lot of really doesn't even always involve them.  In particular, Dev just seems like a guy who really doesn't know what he wants in life, his career, or family-wise, and he really needs to figure it out, if he ever wants to find true happiness.  So, I think it makes sense that Rachel now wants to move to Tokyo since she always wanted to go and knows (thanks to her sister?), that opportunities like that, can disappear once you settle down.  And it equally makes sense for Dev to go to cooking school in Italy, because he really seems to have hit a wall with his acting career (and I do think he doesn't have the passion for it anymore), and he really does seem to enjoy making pasta.  I hope the two will find whatever they are missing, and maybe they will meet again and finally work it out, but it wouldn't be unrealistic if they didn't.

Dev (and H. Jon Benjamin) getting cut out of the film was a twist I didn't see coming.  There have been stories before (like The Thin Red Line mentioned above), where that has happened to actors, although I would think that they would have been told before the premieres.  Then again, it sounds like this film was mainly schlock and the director clearly doesn't have much respect for anyone, so I can no one telling him.

Glad I gave this show a go.  Really well done, funny, but also touching a lot of times.  Aziz Ansari was great: both on screen and off screen.  And Noel Wells was equally great too.  Still interesting considering how unsuccessful her Saturday Night Live stint ended up being.  I guess this was more in her wheelhouse, or SNL simply didn't know how to use her.

I found this show flat and earnest and interesting. I'm with Tara Ariano: I didn't find it funny.

I kept starting to watch this and trailing off because it didn't hold my interest. Then it began showing up on almost every "Best Of 2015" TV lists and I thought maybe I hadn't given it a chance. I plowed through the whole thing this week but it didn't help. Still not funny to me and I also thought the acting was pretty bad; took me out of the show.

I never watched Parks and Rec so maybe speaking in a flat, rushed monotone has served Asiz well as an acting choice, but it didn't click with me. Denise, Arnold, his parents, and the guy who played Brian also made me wince. I think some of them may be fellow comics/friends that he cast? And of course I can't blame his parents. The women who played Rachel is the only actor I thought did a workmanlike job. I did get more interested in the story once she showed up, so opposite reaction again.

Anyway, I also don't like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend or Brooklyn 99 or Kimmie and hate Louie, so if those really do have a similar vibe to this, maybe MoN and I were doomed from the start.

... Just read Tara's story. Maybe I stand with her on simply being too damned old for it.

Edited by lordonia

Pluses:  Enjoyed this series, and hope there's another season.  

Always liked Aziz's standup in a casual way - got some of his specials in my Play List; might need to go searching for P&R.

Minuses:  I wish I had (had the money to) packed up and lived abroad when I was young enough to do so.

I want pasta.

• Love 1