Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Oliver was trying to drop a whole building on the men (yes, men) who were part of Slade's army. Since there is a mirakuru cure, he could have save them.  That sounds pretty 'unthinkable' to me.

A description designed to drive us crazy trying to figure out who the "someone close to his heart" is. After last week's Laurel-fest on the heels of "it has to be the three of us", I'm not playing any more,.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

Technically, it's who SLADE thinks is the most important person to Oliver, not necessarily who actually is the most important person.  I do think Slade will abduct Laurel, it makes sense considering Oliver had been pining away for Laurel while he was on the island and, as yet, I do think Oliver still thinks she is the most important person.  I think Oliver, much like Felicity, has been in deep denial about their feelings for each other and so even if Slade had surveillance on them, because of that denial and Felicity - superficially - not really reading as Oliver's (or Slade's either, for that matter) type, per se, Slade's completely overlooked her.  However, though I don't think we can deny Laurel being "close to Oliver's heart", so that is technically true.  She's just not the only one close to his heart and may not be the closest anymore.  It just may take something climactic for everyone's eyes to be opened to that.

Targeting Laurel also gets back at Sara, so would make her the most convenient target for Slade, seemingly perfect.  I just don't thinks she's as perfect a target as Slade thinks she is.

I think the "unthinkable" may be more than one thing in the ep and most of it focused on Team Arrow.  No here I go buckwild with the specs/predictions, but I think Felicity appears to die (though she actually doesn't) due to a heroic sacrifice.  That line Oliver said and right to Felicity, about a hero only being a hero because they're willing to die or something along those lines, seemed too foreshadowing.  After Tommy's death and his mother's it's one death too many for him and that's what drives Oliver over the no kill vs. kill edge and he's in kill mode.  It also ties back to 2x03 vs. 2x06 and who Oliver is apparently willing to kill for.  Laurel was in real danger via the Dollmaker, but Oliver restrained himself from killing him (didn't restrain Sara though).  He couldn't restrain himself when Felicity was in similar peril via The Count.  So, in blind rage and grief, Oliver does the "unthinkable" and takes the Mirakuru intending to lay waste to Slade for Felicity's death, also maybe expecting to die because of it (not believing he can control the rage, so tells Diggle to shoot him in the head when/if he loses control, which could be another "unthinkable" thing, asking Diggle to kill him).  Though Slade doesn't realize Oliver was pushed over the edge because of Felicity, not because of Laurel (Laurel kidnapped may be part of it).  Ultimately, Slade - perhaps much like Laurel - doesn't know Oliver as well as he thinks and so doesn't know what he's unleashed or why.  When Slade realizes what's happening and/or Oliver starts turning the tide, he may offer to let Laurel go, but then that won't stop him, because it wasn't really about Laurel.  That and the Mirakuru may have already taken too much hold over Oliver.

This is also kind of gross, but I also suspect there might be seeds planted of Stockholm Syndrome between Slade and Laurel while he has her.  I think they may have been planning something to happen or start to happen between Slade and Laurel in the planning stages of the season.  I'm thinking way back on the promo art for season 2 and how we have all the major relationships of the season paired off together.  Team Arrow is front and center, Roy and Thea off to the right, but there's also Laurel and Slade paired together to the left.  That always seemed rather odd to me and was wondering if that would ever pay any dividends in the season arc.  It could be we may see it in the finale and potentially into season 3.  I think Slade could also potentially tell her the truth about her father and that he knew about Sara being alive and being Black Canary for months and hadn't said anything to her or her mother.  Which could alienate Laurel from Quentin.  Whatever else happening in the finale could alienate Laurel from Oliver too.  Slade setting himself up as seemingly the only person telling Laurel the truth, a beginning of a dark seduction and Laurel has been becoming a pretty dark character all season.  Not to mention that anvil-dropping line, "Once you let the darkness in, it never comes out."  

Slade is also played by Manu Bennett, off his rocker as Slade is, I have suspected it too tempting for the writers to pair him off with someone eventually.  Because I don't think Isabel Rochev will be long for this world and unless it's someone new or Amanda Waller (shout-out to Crixus and Naevia?), it could end up being Laurel.  More especially if Laurel is recruited by ARGUS, which I think has been rumored to happen (though WHY Waller would want or need a DA who was almost disbarred for her substance abuse issues, I don't even know).

Slade and Laurel would also have being victims of substance abuse in common, both of their lives ruined or nearly so because of it and come to regret the things they did while under the influence.  Strangely make them kindred spirits in that way and, in some ways, may legitimately be the only ones who 'get' each other and, in theory, with Laurel alienated from her father, she'd lose him to parlay with over this common ground.  Not to mention Laurel getting dark and Slade already dark.  Then we get an arc of Laurel trying to resist that darkness, but ultimately succumbing to it anyway.  Also because I think Manu is a stronger actor than Stephen Amell and Manu is the sort of actor who could have chemistry with about everyone and anything, I think he may make for a stronger scene partner opposite Katie Cassidy than Amell or even Paul Blackthorne (one of the very few actors I feel does work in scenes with Cassidy).

• Love 5

Slade's most obvious target is Laurel because that's who Oliver was obsessing about the first  year on the island.  But if Slade's been watching Oliver in Starling City, he should know that Oliver hasn't had much contact with her, and that he's been sleeping with Sara.  So I would think Lauel if the show can't be bothered to do much thinking about it, or if not her, Sara.  He's had the opportunity to kill Thea twice now and I think that if it were going to be her he'd have done it already unless he's playing cat-and-mouse.

I would be surprised if it were to be Felicity because I don't think Slade would consider her that way.  She's Oliver's PA and she's on Team Arrow but she stays pretty much in the background, unlike Sara.  Slade strikes me as a man who pays attention to the obvious rather than the woman hidden in the background.

I love the idea of Oliver being willing to be shot up with mirakuru if Felicity 'dies'.  I think Kreisburg and Guggenheim would jump on the idea, but then they'd make it about Laurel and not Felicity.  Your way is a much better story.

Please, Slade, take Laurel away, out of Oliver's orbit, and do whatever you want with her.  The only downside to that idea is KC herself.  When she talks about her scenes with Paul Blackthorne in interviews, she talks about their "process", which sounds like Blackthorne spends a long time with her going over Laurel's motivation and how she would react in their scenes and what she would be doing so that KC doesn't have to look like she's doing multiplication in her head and so their scenes come off as Laurel's best.  I don't think she does that with Stephen Amell, maybe because  he's too busy to spend that kind of time with her, maybe because he's not experienced enough to know she needs it.  Going by KC's anecdote, Manu Bennet works his stuff out in his own head and plays it out for anyone who may be around.  I'd love to be wrong but I think putting Slade and Laurel together would look good on the page but  KC's acting wouldn't be up to it. , 

I would be surprised if it were to be Felicity because I don't think Slade would consider her that way.  She's Oliver's PA and she's on Team Arrow but she stays pretty much in the background, unlike Sara.  Slade strikes me as a man who pays attention to the obvious rather than the woman hidden in the background.

Agreed. I think it's easy for most people who see Oliver from a distance to dismiss Felicity. The man has to have a PA, and it fits his character that he'd pick a pretty blonde girl. Is he sleeping with her? Maybe. Does that mean she's important to him? Maybe. But more important than the girl he spent five years pining after? No way.

And most of the significant Oliver/Felicity moments happen in the Arrow Cave, so while the audience knows how important she is, I don't think it should be evident to many people. Yes, there's the argument that Slade has been spying on them and that he knows Oliver so well and all that. But honestly? Omniscient villains who know everything about their adversary are dumb. I don't want Slade to be right all the time and to be able to take advantage of Oliver's every weakness. Let him be wrong, and let him overlook Felicity like many others do. And if he did know that Felicity was important to Oliver, he clearly never bothered to tell Isabel, who dismissed her as Oliver's bit of fun.

And if he did know that Felicity was important to Oliver, he clearly never bothered to tell Isabel, who dismissed her as Oliver's bit of fun.

It could have also been by way of Isabel's assessment of Oliver/Felicity's relationship - or lack thereof - that Slade never bothered giving her a second glance.  This compounded with Felicity being this geeky, babbling IT girl and - perhaps in "Arrow" universe - not considered as conventionally attractive as Laurel Lance (or Sara or any of the well-known women Oliver has been romantically attached).  Slade arrogantly thinking he's right all the time and knows Oliver's every move before he makes it?  He wouldn't see Felicity coming at all.

So, I was just in the relationships thread, and someone mentioned that Sara, Felicity and Laurel have all been seen clutching the Arrow's hand as they escape. Which got me to thinking (dangerous) as to why would Sara be clutching Oliver's hand at all in public. It's not like they skip around town holding hands, killing the bad guys. I always thought that was a really weird scene and it didn't make sense to me.  And of course, I'm probably totally wrong but....

I was joking before about Laurel being slow-dosed with Mirakuru, and correct if I'm wrong, but I think that scene was with Laurel and Det Lance seeing Sara and Oliver running off holding hands.  Could Laurel be seeing some things that aren't there? Like with Roy seeing Thea and Slade seeing Shado.  Could that maybe be Laurel hallucinating Sara being alive and back?  I mean yes that would a Bobby Ewing level of mindscrew but maybe?  Just a thought. 

• Love 1

Artcis Tor, I really like your breakdown of how things could possibly go - and I wish the show actually went in that direction.

I, too, immediately thought 'Unthinkable' meant that Oliver would willingly inject himself with Miraku to have a shot at taking down Slade and his army.  He may not know that a cure is en route, so he crosses that line.  And then the finale is him - with Diggle and Felicity, possibly Roy - on the brink and not injected with the cure yet.  Maybe there's not enough of it on hand... so they go to the island to detox him...

Anyway...

I think Thea is NOT among the kidnap possibilities. I think Slade has used her as he wanted & needed to enough.  My money is on Sara because she'd be in his *and Delusion!Shado* crosshairs. 

But I think the show will careen towards StupidTown and have it be Laurel because, of course, she's near and dear to Ollie.

Cue the gagging sounds.

StupidTown, ahoy.  The sneak peek is Laurel shooting the arrow to save Oliver.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/05/arrow-episode-222-streets-of-fire-sneak.html

when Slade kidnaps someone close to Oliver’s heart

If it's anyone but Thea (Oliver's sister), Laurel (whose picture he was clutching) or Sara (former SO and fighting partner), the show is going to have to justify how this person is close to Oliver's heart. I'd laugh if it were Diggle.

I love the idea of Oliver injecting himself with mirakuru if he thinks Felicity is dead that if they do it on the show, I will praise them all summer.  Sadly, I think the odds of it being Felicity though are rapidly diminishing.

The EPs said they would explore Felicity backstory next season, but she doesn't actually have to be alive for them to do it.

(edited)

Oh. My. Gods.  WHAT THE FUCK?  What are you doing, show?  This is so unbelievably stupid, stupid, stupid.

And really NOW Laurel is all "What if I can't do it?"  She was just literally all, "I can help". 

I am so annoyed right now.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3

StupidTown, ahoy.  The sneak peek is Laurel shooting the arrow to save Oliver.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/05/arrow-episode-222-streets-of-fire-sneak.html

I really have trouble with Laurel being able to manage such good form the first time she picks up a bow and arrows AND being in such a scary, upsetting situation.  I think back to Oliver on the Island his first time trying to shoot (where it was all nice and calm and he had Yao Fei as his mentor) and he absolutely sucked.  It would have been more believable (and just as effective) if she'd just hurled the arrow at the rubble instead...

• Love 2

I really have trouble with Laurel being able to manage such good form the first time she picks up a bow and arrows AND being in such a scary, upsetting situation.  I think back to Oliver on the Island his first time trying to shoot (where it was all nice and calm and he had Yao Fei as his mentor) and he absolutely sucked.  It would have been more believable (and just as effective) if she'd just hurled the arrow at the rubble instead...

Right? Seriously. This is really now bordering on some kind of Mary Sue thing, that Laurel would just be a natural or something?  Unless she's being trained by Merlyn on the DL which will just piss me off even more.

(edited)

The clip made me laugh.

Not sure if that was the response the producers were going for. 

Mostly I laughed because I've been reassured by a lot of people (read, Laurel fans in comments elsewhere) that this, this, is finally the start of Laurel becoming Black Canary, and they very well may be right, but I have to laugh that the journey starts with Oliver sounding impatient and irritated and Laurel sounding trembling and scared and wasting time with it. I'm also amused because over on the other thread we're all doing such a nice job of explaining that really, Laurel's character MIGHT be consistent even if doesn't always seem to be, and then....the show gives us this.

More seriously, watching this makes me wonder what the hell is going on behind the scenes. On the other thread we're noted how many of the Laurel scenes in Blind Spot and City of Blood seemed to mirror scenes previously given to Felicity: this is another one that Felicity had last season. I'm wondering if part of the idea behind this is "Hey, those scenes made people like/sympathize with Felicity, let's try them with Laurel,"  The major problem is that this serves more as a reminder that Laurel is well behind both Sara and Felicity on her hero's journey - and most of the time, Sara and Felicity don't need to be told what to do. Felicity is often the one guiding Team Oliver or Quentin. 

I'm also somewhat surprised the released clip didn't focus on Malcolm Merlyn - that name, not Laurel, Oliver or Felicity, was the one trending on Twitter last week.

Edited by quarks

I'm glad it made you laugh. I need to try that because it made me ragey.

More seriously, watching this makes me wonder what the hell is going on behind the scenes.

I've been wondering that since January.

It would have made more sense to put out a Malcolm clip, or even Malcolm promo pics because people are going to be tuning in to see him again. I wonder if the EPs think that we will tune in for him and Oliver/Diggle/Felicity anyway so they want to promote Laurel and Oliver/Laurel.  I still have the feeling that the EPs think that if they just shove Laurel at us enough, we'll grow to love her.

• Love 2

Well, though, and to sorta go back to the other threads on this - the show has had several opportunities to make Laurel likeable. They even gave her quite a few of those moments in the first season - I was surprised on a rewatch to find just how many she had in between the unlikeable ones.

This season, though, with the exception of the Birds of Prey episode, a huge improvement for Laurel, they've managed to avoid all kinds of small moments that would make Laurel more likeable.

This trailer is a perfect example. Catrox is completely correct. Laurel started this off last episode saying "Take me along, I can help!" And she did hit the guy over the head with a pipe, so, yay, help, only right after that, she had to be rescued again, then she yelled out Oliver's real name as the bad guy is approaching, and just a few minutes later (I'm assuming this is in the first five to ten minutes of the episode), when she has the chance to do something useful, she's all, I can't do this! Then we have the hero - the guy we're supposed to be sorta identifying with - sounding incredibly impatient with her.

As I said when this first came up, I really don't have a problem with her shooting a compound bow and since it sounds as if she doesn't have to aim it, I don't think that's an issue either. Also it sounds as if the bow has been adjusted down to a 30 lb pull so again, ok.  The problem is that as I noted way, way, back, the interviews suggest that we're supposed to be seeing Laurel as a hero, and then we get this.

Well, that was certainly a sneak preview, alright. I can't think of an adjective to describe it since it made me feel nothing? Maybe a tiny bit amused (and I don't think that's what that scene was supposed to convey). That sneak peek triggered no sense of urgency or anticipation at all in me. At least, there was absolutely no precision implied in that shot. Just notch and release.

Whatever, show. Whatever, Laurel. Looks like I'll be adopting the Cersei Lannister-approved method of dealing with vacuous fuckery around her. More wine?

• Love 1

I have no idea whatsoever why the network isn't promoting Malcolm's return.  And I think this is ALL on the network's PR people. 

Instead, they're showing us the Laurel shit that seems to make some fans deliriously happy, some cynically amused, some enraged and yet others disgusted.

Way to go, CW PR Department!!!!!!!!!!!  Way to rally the fans in the homestretch!

*sigh*

The CW promo monkeys are pretty terrible at their jobs. And it's consistent across shows it would seem , because I watch Supernatural too and good lord the promos for that are even worse.  There have been scenes in the promos and previouslies that were never in the episode.  So fuck if I know what they are doing half the time.  But this push about Laurel, Laurel, Laurel, is no bueno

Maybe they intend it to be a bit of a surprise? It's possible some people missed Malcolm and Moira's interaction in their one scene this season, or that others have forgotten about it. Still, you're right. John Barrowman is a force to be reckoned with and you would think they would want to milk everything they can out of his appearance, especially if they plan to do something wacky like kill Malcolm. Again.

I have a long history of hating the CW's pr department (Veronica Mars fan, here).... so I'm not surprised, really, that they still stink.

But it's absolutely baffling that the only clips - and majority of stills - being released are focused on just 1 character, who is NOT the lead or the main villain.

It's stupid... and with John Barrowman getting buzz online for his reappearance on the show, you'd think the network would hitch to that post for a day or so.  Perhaps they'll catch up tomorrow.

But it is a compound bow, right?  Anyone can do it according to Oliver.   (sarcasm)

I've tried one of those bows a few years back.  Even as "simple" as a compound bow is supposed to be, my attempt made Ollie's first time look like a professional. 

Since the promos are put out by CW's promo department, and maybe the sneak peeks as welll, maybe they think that Laurel is a draw since Katie Cassidy was a CW darling for several years now.

What surprises me is that no one associated with the show is hearing that KC isn't a big draw. Isn't the promotions department supposed to keep abreast of these things?  AK knows there is a reaction against Laurel, wouldn't he call up the promo department and say 'hey, if you're going to promote Laurel, send out something with another character too'?

I can imagine that the EPs are thinking about the audience "what are these people on about, all we've done is add Laurel to the team at last.  What is their problem?"

Our problem is that we're worried about the writing and we're worried that the characters we do care about will get pushed aside for Laurel.  If they were come and say that Sara will be back next season, people might not be so upset. (Of course, if they said that Felicity will get her own storyline, we wouldn't believe them after last episode when no sooner  had Oliver said it was up to the three of them that it because about Laurel and Oliver.).

I laughed at the following paragraph from canadagraphs about the finale:

It seems clear that Roy has taken the step from angry hoodlum to Team Arrow masked member. Only question is, will he be referred to as Red Arrow, or Arsenal? Also, when/how will he get to this point? After all it was JUST episode 2x20 where Roy was in a RoyRage destructive frame of mind. Can he be turned into someone that the team can trust by its side AND given a weapon in a mere month? Apparently so. But considering the absurd Luarel shooting a bow scene they put out for episode 2x22, I suppose this is more believable than that.

http://canadagraphs.weebly.com/9/post/2014/05/arrow-films-a-scene-with-several-cast-for-the-season-2-finale-episode-unthinkable-spoiler-inside.html

I am of two minds about the CW releasing the Laurel shooting the arrow scene.  On one hand maybe it is a case of any publicity (or attention) is good publicity.  I see a preview of Laurel with a bow and arrow, I rage about it to anyone who will listen and TPTB slap themselves on the back cause people are talking about their show.  Cue an extended look at Laurel shooting a bow and arrow.

My other thought is just the opposite.  Maybe their intention in showing the full clip of Laurel shooting the arrow was to calm the screams down.  The preview for next week's episode (and the extended version) gave us Laurel firing the arrow and Oliver telling her nice shot.  Cue heads exploding for multiple reasons and perhaps their idea to deal with the backlash is to show that in the episode what they had Laurel do wasn't all that impressive. 

Oliver is cranky, Laurel is baby about it and it turns out that all she has to do is hit the broad side of a wall like ten feet away.  If Oliver is to be believed about the easy to pull back string,  the only unrealistic thing about that scene was how easy it was for Laurel to place the arrow in the exactly right way on the bow.  Yeah, she should have fumbled with it but shooting a large wall takes no skill at all so maybe TPTB figured seeing the whole thing would calm everyone down.

Just my conflicting thoughts. 

• Love 2

Yeah, it is kinda amusing that the scene went from "Wait, no way is Laurel that skilled!" to a scene showing that yeah, Laurel isn't that skilled.

Yeah, she should have fumbled with it but shooting a large wall takes no skill at all so maybe TPTB figured seeing the whole thing would calm everyone down.

That certainly isn't only a sharp contrast to Oliver, obviously, but it's a sharp contrast to Sara too.  Sara who used Oliver's bow without needing to be talked step-by-step through the process and shot a man about 50 ft away to save Oliver.  Sara who is the Black Canary, while Laurel.... is not.  Sara who will be coming back very, very soon.

Laurel's shot and having to be coached reminds me more of Roy's shooting lessons and him barely able to hit the target. Then the placating encouragement from Sara as one does when one is coaching someone new to something.  

Roy is a novice and sidekick and Laurel also seems to be placed in this position, whether she realizes it or not.  Problem is, I doubt Laurel would care for that.  I don't think she'd abide to any realization she's a third wheel or not Oliver's equal (and not equal to any of Team Arrow, for that matter).  That Sara fits in his world so much better than she does, that Sara has a place (which will be proven probably with whatever action sequences we get in 2x22 or 2x23 that Laurel witnesses.  Sara, a trained assassin with her assassin cohorts in tow, able to take down Mirakuru soldiers when all Laurel could do was ineffectually hit one with a pipe that only forced Oliver to save her ass).  Laurel could be taught, but the notion she'd be somehow subordinate to Oliver, have to be mentored by him, but also potentially his partners and until she brings something definitive to the table, she could get benched for however long it takes?  I don't think her pride could withstand that.

I assumed they used a Laurel clip because other stuff may have been too spoilery. I loved that clip. Going from rolling up in the arrow cave like she owned the place to this. It put me in a good mood.

The Black Canary is no ones side kick. But that is what she will be if Laurel becomes her. Laurel has, what classroom self defense skills? According to the comics Quentin taught both his daughters at the same time. So Laurel has the same skills as Island Sara. Who by the way was intelligent enough to know she was nowhere near skilled enough to take on trained men, so she used her brain to talk her way out of situations. Laurel on the other hand gets in a surprise punch or kick because most probably think no one is stupid enough to do that if they don't have the training. So she immediately gets damseled like an untrained person would. Also unlike Oliver and Sara, Laurel was not facing life or death for years learning the skills to survive in real world situations. So that puts them years ahead of whatever minimal training Laurel received. Plus they said self defense not martial arts, self defense teaches you how to defend yourself against an attacker so you can get away, not how to fight in a combat situation. 

Right now we have a BC who is equal to Oliver while also having skills he does not. Why would we or Oliver want a lesser version of the same character? They've already shown us that the original Canary is so much better. What we'll be stuck with is a lesser copycat version. Good luck with that show.

What I'm wondering is if they intend to make Laurel the Black Canary (we don't KNOW that they do, it's possible they have something else in mind though this seems the most likely) then why introduce someone else (the fact it is her sister is irrelevant here) who already has the name and the costume? Anything they do with Laurel following those lines is going to be constantly compared to what Sara already did, and rightfully so. In order for that to work Laurel is going to have to outCanary Sara and, no offense to KC. I don't see that happening. Still, Ruby worked pretty well on Supernatural, so I do think KC can play crazy and be mysterious and even interesting if she puts her mind to it, I'm just not convinced I would buy her as a bad ass in a mask.

(edited)

I am THRILLED Malcolm is back now.  This scene looks great.  I love John Barrowman.

But honestly, after having to see that clip yesterday with Laurel shooting the bow, they could have showed me Roy unconscious on the table again and I would have had a smile on my face just not to have to see another Laurel, Ms So Important, clip again.

I hope we get some insight into where Malcolm has been since he has been back or even how he came back alive.  I wonder if Oliver is going to find out this season as well since the next two episodes supposedly take place on the same night?

Edited by BumpSetSpike
  • Love 1

The Thea/Malcolm clip is great.  That's what I want to watch for.

The Diggle/Felicity/Oliver clip they gave us last week was also great, and then Laurel spoiled much of the episode for me.

Laurel could be taught, but the notion she'd be somehow subordinate to Oliver, have to be mentored by him, but also potentially his partners and until she brings something definitive to the table, she could get benched for however long it takes?  I don't think her pride could withstand that.

I doubt it too.  But could the EPs even do it?  The Laurel/Lauriver fans have got their noses twitching with the scent now. Once Laurel is on the team, I don't think they would be content with waiting to have her realistically learn the skills, or even to let Oliver have another relationship because they see her as the real BC and Oliver's one true love.  With Laurel out in the field and fighting by his side, I think the floodgates have been opened.

Is there any serious possibility they are planning to kill Laurel? And they're just getting her out there to surprise us and to try and make it hurt more when Slade up and breaks her neck or something?

I wish that was the case but I don't think Cassidy would be excited about getting fired from her job. So the chances of that are slim to none. Sara has a much better chance of dying in the finale. 

I don't think Cassidy would be excited about getting fired from her job.

I don't think Cassidy is a good enough actress to fake being excited about the show when she was about to lose her job.

I think the best I can hope for is that they give her a role other than BC, and that they drop the idea of making her Oliver's True Love.  I'm not sanguine about the odds for the latter though.

(edited)

Wait, I had a thought. I'm sure I'm completely wrong about this, but they COULD kill her and still have Cassidy excited about her job. Why? Because the show has already introduced a way to bring the dead back to life and actually make them bad ass. They could kill Laurel and out of desperation Oliver decides to use the mirakuru to bring her back, even knowing what it will do to her.

Edited by KirkB
(edited)

That would still make me stop watching the show. I don't want Laurel given magical super powers just so they can make her special or needed. The most important thing they needed to do was make her likable and they have failed miserably. I also want Mirakuru gone and never talked about again. I hate that storyline, so giving it to Laurel will not make me like her or her storyline.

I want Laurel gone, she doesn't have to die just go to Europe or somewhere far away and is never heard from again. That would make me happy and I would continue watching the show. I'm pretty much out after the finale if Laurel is still around. 

Edited by Sakura12

That clip, oh, that clip! The moment he pulls off his hood and we see his gorgeous face...I still have a huge grin and I've never even seen him on Torchwood. Some actors just have a presence. Combine that with an expressive face, trick arrows and saving Thea and I forgive the show runners for not explaining how he survived. I don't care. I just want more.

I can hardly fathom the difference between the soul sucking ick I felt with Laurels clip (which I had expected to be worse than it was) and the bouncy excitement I now have. I might watch next year just for Thea and Malcom. There was a connection even in that short scene between them. (No surprise,I think Barrowman would have chemistry with a rock) I could believe Thea reluctantly going with him. He seriously seems like the best choice in that moment.

• Love 1

I just had a thought about how the writers could allow Slade to kill "the one [Oliver] loves most" without jeopardizing any of their ships or fridging any female characters.

Maybe Slade thinks Oliver loves himself the most. Everything Slade's done to break him (murdering Moira, destroying Starling City) is to kill Oliver Queen's humanity and sense of self (or any chance of becoming "the hero" he wants to be).

If this is true, then in the finale, I agree that this probably will go back to Oliver injecting himself with Mirakuru and leads him to do something "unthinkable". This is why there is a lot of repetition about what it means to be a hero and thees of light and darkness.

Someone feel free to poke holes in this idea, it's just that I think that it's too obvious a trope for the show to play something like this straight without adding some kind of twist. Especially with all the lead up and hype, if they wanted an impact, they would have kept it quiet and let viewers be stunned that x got kidnapped and Oliver loves this person. It feels like it's shipbaiting.

• Love 1
(edited)

Maybe it's the city. People live and die on their own. Maybe Slade has decided that Starling City is what Oliver loves the most and that's why he has his army tearing the city up in a fairly random fashion. After all, why else is he bothering? If he just wanted to kill the people Oliver loves he's had more than enough chances, what with having kidnapped Thea, being face to face with Laurel, even Sara. Yet instead of hunting or tracking Oliver and his gang he has his people destroying as much Starling City property as possible.

Edited by KirkB

I think his not killing all the loved ones before was because he is dragging it out to torture Oliver. He told Thea he kidnapped her only to make a point. 

The idea of losing everyone he loves is enough to drive Oliver crazy, and Slade is enjoying that immensely. He had to kill Moira abruptly to honor the promise that Blood would become Mayor. I think he will try to kill the rest at the pacing he prefers. And villains are forever getting defeated for taking their sweet time and trying to savour every moment. 

(edited)

Slade looks totally crazy. I can't wait.

Just when I'd accepted all the arguments, and resigned myself to it not being Felicity.... man, what a surprise that is.

Edited by statsgirl
(edited)

Well then.

Felicity looks quite calm and composed.  Good girl.

She had been almost resigned to the possibility Slade abducting her that ep Diggle tried to keep watch outside of her house.  Like she'd already made peace with the possibility of her death due to the work they do/the danger Slade posed to them all.  If she's telling Oliver it's okay and she's not afraid to die, to not give into despair and Oliver not to blame himself?  Like Paikea in "Whale Rider" or something?  "Arrow" might actually pull a tear or two out of me.

Though I'd lean towards her having a vial of the Mirakuru cure in a syringe or dart squirreled away somewhere on her person and she stabs Slade with it.  Evening the odds for Oliver to defeat him... but potentially sacrificing herself in the process, because Slade would inevitably kill her for that.  I still think that "essence of heroism is to die so others may live" line Oliver said in "City of Blood" was foreshadowing.  Just not for his (possible) death, but Felicity's.  Not that I think an Oliver or Felicity death would stick at this point in time, even if they have to inject her with Mirakuru (or toss her into a Lazarus Pit or something) to bring her back.

Edited by ArctisTor
  • Love 5

It's nice that they let Felicity clean up her bloody nose.  Girl was looking pretty beat up last we saw her.

she stabs Slade with it.  Evening the odds for Oliver to defeat him... but potentially sacrificing herself in the process, because Slade would inevitably kill her for that.  I still think that "essence of heroism is to die so others may live" line Oliver said in "City of Blood" was foreshadowing.  Just not for his (possible) death, but Felicity's.  Not that I think an Oliver or Felicity death would stick at this point in time, even if they have to inject her with Mirakuru (

I like this idea, it would have a lot of drama since while Oliver is fighting Slade, Felicity would be on the floor dying and maybe finding the Mirakuru wouldn't be super easy.  Of course since this sounds great its probably not going to happen.  :)

• Love 1

I wonder what the 'cure' actually does? Will it take away their strength and regenerative abilities? If so, since Oliver injected Roy with it what good will he be in a fight? I mean, it was cool to see the power walk with Malcolm, Roy, Oliver, Sara and Nyssa, but without his powers Roy is little more than target practice for Slade and his goon squad.

It would be nice if the cure took away the crazy and the recovery from a death blow.  At this point, I'd be okay with Roy having  extra strength.

she stabs Slade with it.  Evening the odds for Oliver to defeat him... but potentially sacrificing herself in the process, because Slade would inevitably kill her for that.  I still think that "essence of heroism is to die so others may live" line Oliver said in "City of Blood" was foreshadowing.  Just not for his (possible) death, but Felicity's

Awesome thought.  And it does pull in what seems to be a relatively disconnected Line of Import.

Not necessarily her death though.  Even the willingness to do it would help her get closer to Oliver and Sara's 'hero' status.

Could the "unthinkable" thing possibly have to do with letting Felicity get captured on purpose to de-Mirakuru Slade?  I could see Oliver having a righteous hissy fit over that plan.

It would be nice if the "cure" would stop the crazy and take them down to, say, 125% of normal strength, so Roy would still be slightly stronger than "normal" - enough to have something special going on, but not enough to be monstrous.  And Team Arrow could take down Wilson and the 'Strokes if they were "just" at 125%.