Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

That is a good point. If the EP's are so convinced that everyone's going to love KC as the Black Canary why aren't they promoting her? Even if it's just the beginning of her journey.  

I supposed they could be waiting for comic con, but why? They had their jacket hand off as the passing of the torch, so why not just come out and say it right after the finale? It's not like the Sara secret which was unknown because no one knew they were bringing in a Black Canary for season 2. Keeping this a secret seems kind of weird and kind of shows that they are not all confident about it. Especially if the official S3 press release and episode 1 description don't even mention Laurel at all. 

I'm only guessing, but it feels to me like the CW and the WB are very wary of doing marketing for anything Laurel-related [understandable given previous backlash], so making an announcement like "Ted Grant is coming!" MIGHT be better at a more comicbook-friendly venue like SDCC?

Mark Pedowitz blabbed about Lotz at the TCAs last year, and then the EPs spent the next couple of days doing damage control.  Speaking of the TCAs, the CW will be there this year either July 17 or 18 [ http://tvcritics.org/press-tour-schedule-overview/ ]. I'm hoping Berlanti and/or Kreisberg will be there to talk Flash, and if they go, no way the room won't ask them Arrow questions as well.

But the announcement was planned for SDCC, CL was actually revealed on 7/19 the day before The Arrow panel and during filming for 201 even though CL didn't actually appear until 203. Although I have no doubt that The Wrap article wasn't supposed to happen the EPS most definitely planned to reveal Canary at SDCC.

Unfortunately, you wrote your reply before I could edit my post, but that's what I wanted to add as well. The Canary appeared (as played by a stunt double) in the season 2 premiere and the producers were intending to announce the introduction of this character at SDCC to surprise the fans, but the info was leaked a day early to negative reactions. Maybe they are intending to do the same thing (announce the casting at SDCC) with Ted Grant/Wildcat?

Since I've been conditioned to be terrified of random flying Lances I'll take relationship free.

This is the funniest thing I've read online all day.

Those air people are terrifying - and only seem to come in 4 flavors.  Now I'm going to be squinting at the crowd shots during whatever boxing ring scene the show has.

I can't believe the show wouldn't make an announcement if Ted Grant was coming on. 

The lack of ANYTHING related to Laurel is highly suspicious, IMO.  I've been at least primed to know next to nothing about CL/Sara's return because CL publicly stated that she couldn't say anything. 

Why would they try to keep it a secret though? There was a flat-out passing of the torch in the finale. Everyone assumes that's what's going to happen, even if there are a lot of people (like me, idiot that I am) who still hopes they're faking us out for Manhunter or, better yet, nothing.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the show is fully committed to Laurel becoming BC, why on earth aren't they publicizing it asap? 

My theory - they know that excitement is building, which is why Quentin's fate and a happy-ish note for Oliver/Felicity is published before SDCC.  They know that backlash against Laurel as BC will be strong.  I doubt they will say anything prior to the first episode unless something gets leaked, too.  They don't want to turn off a huge chunk of fans - or have to address fans at SDCC or other cons about it - before S3 is aired.

Which means they think that it will NOT be a popular move to have her as BC.  But they are going ahead with it anyway, no matter what.   I really don't understand it at all. 

And the more they keep silent about what Laurel will be doing, the more concerned I am.  If she was going to become Manhunter, for example, I'd think we'd hear about her continuing to work in the DA's office.  Perhaps with 'new purpose' or something like that.

As a fan of Olicity, I'm getting fed up with the show's blatant teasing as a means to watch the show. 

• Love 5

We knew about CL on July 19th, it was from The Wrap. Mark Park blabbed about CL playing Sara in August. He only revealed that she was Sara but CL as "the start of the Canary" storyline was announced right before SDCC and the EPs planned the Canary announcement for SDCC since theye included Canary in the sizzle reel.

• Love 1

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant, Pedowitz confirmed CL as Sara. I imagine the entire PR department pulling their hairs out that day. I mean, it's not like they could call the president of the network and chastise him for giving out info they didn't plan on coming out. *g*

So maybe leaks are the only means to finding out what's happening with Laurel?

That reeks of insecurity about whatever they've decided to do with her.  It's also very odd that the 'leading lady' isn't mentioned for anything regarding the season opener, too.  And now that Oliver is 'basking' and taking that opportunity to ask Felicity on a date (whether he does so or not), I have to wonder if KC will continue to downplay Oliver and Felicity as no big deal.

(edited)

Well that's assuming that the boxing ring is in fact related to WildCat, remember we don't have anything just a tweet from MG with fake audience in seats and then another of him sitting in one of the chairs in front of a boxing ring.

It's entirely possible that this has absolutely nothing to do with WildCat.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I have thought all along that the lack of any sort of post-finale comments from the EPs this year has been weird, because they did post-finale interviews last year. I would have especially expected that they would want to address the Olicity scene and the jacket passing scene, but nothing. What we have up to this point (IIRC, help me out here) has mainly been comments from the actors, casting news, and now this press release.

They may just be holding on to everything until SDCC. If, however, there is still a blackout on Laurel/Black Canary-related spoilers after SDCC? That would be really odd.

Heeeyyyy... Is that a boxing ring? Are they bringing in Wildcat/Ted Grant to jump-start/justify Laurel's training for her inexplicable turn to vigilantism since bestest lawyer evar wasn't working out for her? Please let me be wrong. Do. Not. Want.

And here's what my brain does, but considering all the boxing matches in Las Vegas and Felicity presumably from there as her mom was/is a Vegas cocktail waitress?  Her mom could have met Ted during one of his matches.  Meaning Ted could have a connection to both Felicity (her dad) and Laurel (the guy meant to train her).  Ted stays in Starling intending to patch things up with his daughter, but trains Laurel on the side.

Or he trains them both to fight.  Felicity certainly needs to learn to defend herself the way she spends her nights.  Then they'd probably play up a story suggesting there could be more than one other option for future Black Canary, though I doubt the writers would have the cajones to seriously make BC Felicity (and Laurel end up the White Canary or something).  Highly unlikely.

• Love 2

I doubt they will say anything prior to the first episode unless something gets leaked, too.  They don't want to turn off a huge chunk of fans - or have to address fans at SDCC or other cons about it - before S3 is aired.

Which means they think that it will NOT be a popular move to have her as BC.  But they are going ahead with it anyway, no matter what.   I really don't understand it at all.

This. I can't imagine them dropping that bomb at SDCC and leaving the door open for a negative reaction. Although with the whole O/F spoiler I have no idea what they are doing at Comic Con. They set themselves up to have half the questions to the panel be even more geared to Olicity then it would have been after the finale and they are going to have KC sitting front row for it. From every interview the EPs have ever given they try to keep her in a bubble. Why release that right before the con that she is going to be at with SA and EBR.  I mean I know why they would want the Olicity PR machine rolling but if they had waited until after SDCC the have a better chance of not getting bombarded with Olicity questions.

From a PR prospective when you are going to roll out something that is unpopular you do it in drips. Never give the whole pile of unpleasantness out in one dose. If it is spread out people are less likely to backlash. So if Laurel is becoming the BC and if they know this is not a popular move then I would have expected them dripping out spoiler hints to friendly media sources. I would have expected the EPs to be pushing KC's working out and her dedication. I would have expected more interviews about comics and the partnership between the BC/GA, then an announcement about WildCat being cast, then confirmation that the jacket hand off was in fact a passing of the torch, then a leak that Laurel will be BC by X episode. So I can't figure out why they only way she is addressed is as a "Old Flame of Oliver's" unless the network/WB is fighting the EPs and the writers about that direction and nothing has been set in stone. That's the only thing I can come up with.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'd forgotten about the Paste interview - thanks for refreshing my memory on that.

I'm a horrible person I know, but I would laugh so hard if Ted Grant turned out to be Felicity's father. The Laurel fans would have a conniption.

ETA: Let me add that I don't really see it as a likely scenario. I just was visualizing the reaction from certain parties.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
(edited)

One other thing I just remembered Canary/CL was revealed at SDCC and CL=Sara was revealed by Mark P in August but...we knew about Sara in June. Remember casting notice was released for "Lisa" which we know from a CL interview was the character she auditioned for.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=81671

"Arrow is currently casting for a new major recurring character/possible series regular for Season 2. Here name is Lisa and is described as a mysterious woman with a tragic past. She will wreak havoc on Oliver's heart and is equal to Oliver in every way."

Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=81671#sWr8sPJcPGUicldO.99

Also, if the EPs wanted to keep WildCat as a big SDCC reveal, why would MG tweet those pictures out in the first place?

ETA: Slightly off topic, I just took another look at the Press Release and noticed that PB was moved into the "and" spot. Huh, I thought they would have given that one to Barrowman

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Maybe they leaked the boxing ring so people would think Ted Grant, and he's coming to train Laurel to be Black Canary. So people will excited for another DC character coming to the show over her. Even if he does come to train her, she needs years of training to match Oliver and Sara. There is also the fact that they most likely didn't have jobs and could spent all day training. Laurel's supposed to have a job that takes up most of her time, so in reality (since they like to keep Laurel's story grounded) it should take over 5 years for her to be ready to fight crime on the street. 

I hope it's a flashback, we can have one of Oliver's lessons in fighting from boxing. 

I think it would be hysterical if this turned out to be something so minor like Vertigo is running his drug ring out of a boxing ring or the free will version of the drug has Oliver or Roy going into the ring to fight for some stupid reason. ..lol

• Love 6
(edited)

The idea of it being a flashback initially sounded like it might work, except why would Amanda Waller be putting her prisoner (I'm assuming) into a public boxing match?

I like the idea that it's Roy. That fits, in a lot of ways. With Thea gone, and him being presumably unable to find her, he might be fighting. (Was Roy in the comics a boxer?)

I don't really think this is Ted Grant. There's been no casting information released, and as others have said, what reason would there be to keep that secret? Everyone already assumes Laurel is going to be Black Canary. I think if Ted Grant was coming on, we'd have heard something by now, even if it was just a casting announcement with a fake name, like "Daniel" or "Lisa".

ETA: They may bring him on later in the season, in which case we would hear about it later, but if that's the case, then this picture now has nothing to do with him I would think.

I think it would be hysterical if this turned out to be something so minor like Vertigo is running his drug ring out of a boxing ring or the free will version of the drug has Oliver or Roy going into the ring to fight for some stupid reason. ..lol

That would be hilarious, and is probably more than likely. :)

Edited by Starfish35

I don't think Oliver's a prisoner. Plus the Wall usually does whatever the hell she wants to do. If she wants to test her newest recruit in the boxing ring, she'll throw him in there to see how he does. 

If it were Roy, I'd think he'd be in a basement fighting ring not in a professional looking one. 

(edited)

Yup, Wildcat, if he gets introduced would be a recurring character and we have heard of only 4 roles being cast for Arrow Season 3 and Wildcat is not one of them. I am sure that if it were a recurring gig, we would have heard about it. I still maintain that its a flashback scene since Bamford had gone to Asia to learn their fight techniques and I guess a fight ring would be a good way to introduce those unique styles..

Edited by abhi

I think it's Hong Kong flashbacks. As another poster said the audience looks Asian. I think its hilarious that they have 4 "people" who are used repeatedly in a variety of seating combinations.

I was all mentally prepared for Felicity to have a genuine and valid love interest but I hate the idea that she might meet him in the same episode as the first date.  That leaves an icky taste in my mouth. 

I was all mentally prepared for Felicity to have a genuine and valid love interest but I hate the idea that she might meet him in the same episode as the first date.  That leaves an icky taste in my mouth. 

They're already shooting at QC, and EBR was wearing her "Felicity" clothes. I'm thinking she might already know Ray by way of ::takes deep breath, holds down vomit:: working as his assistant (or well-dressed VP of something really cool, come on show, come on).

I think these CW synopsis tend to exaggerate stuff. Remember for episode 19 it said that one of the team members is sent to the hospital when it was both Sara and Oliver who visited the hospital for minor injuries and we were thinking serious injury stuff.

I think these CW synopsis tend to exaggerate stuff. Remember for episode 19 it said that one of the team members is sent to the hospital when it was both Sara and Oliver who visited the hospital for minor injuries and we were thinking serious injury stuff.

So I guess we should expect this "date" to be a casual invite to Big Belly Burger, and Oliver will scrounge up enough cash from between the cushions of his couch to be able to pay Felicity's way?

• Love 2

I have to wonder if KC will continue to downplay Oliver and Felicity as no big deal.

Excuse me! Katie Cassidy does NOT read press releases, nor does she watch the show in its entirety or read the full script.

She only reads comics and only the ones where Ollie and BC got married, not the ones where he cheated on her and the got divorced.

Thankyou.

So I guess we should expect this "date" to be a casual invite to Big Belly Burger, and Oliver will scrounge up enough cash from between the cushions of his couch to be able to pay Felicity's way?

I bet it will not even come to that, the payment part that is. There would be some explosion somewhere in the Starling City and he will run off to the rescue and poor Felicity will end up paying for the burgers ... The bugger will not even have to pay for the $6.99 combo meal - one dollar extra for curly fries.

• Love 1
(edited)

I cannot stress enough how much I loathe the idea of Felicity being Ray Palmer's EA. I hated it when the pulled that crap with Oliver but now there is no real reason for it. It would actually make more sense for Felicity to be back in her old job.

I know this whole bit of speculation is based on that instagram picture of Felicity wearing her EA clothes but I'm going with Wardrobe just decided to keep the new look.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

I agree. Felicity of season 2 is now the standard to how she dresses and I'd expect TPTB to want to preserve that look under most circumstances. Unless they try to play down her looks, (and pretend she's only nerd hot) then it makes sense on the pretty people channel to keep the cast looking pretty.

So, I guess that rules out the Hong Kong theory. But not @Morrigan2575 's theory of Vertigo 2.0 running his drug business in a boxing ring. So, let's go with that one! Anything other than the introduction of WildCat to facilitate BC 2.0 for the one that got the hand-me-down leather jacket with, apparently, magical transformative powers.

Come to think of it. Perhaps, Vertigo 2.0 uses the boxing matches as a front for his business because (a) those spectators would surely lose their willpower/control over how much they gamble for the fights leading to a lot more money for the house and (b) the fighters, themselves, may be drugged to make them go all-out and kill each other during their matches.

(edited)

She only reads comics and only the ones where Ollie and BC got married, not the ones where he cheated on her and the got divorced.

She only reads Wikipedia. Unless something's changed, she's not reading the comics until she becomes BC.

I have to wonder if KC will continue to downplay Oliver and Felicity as no big deal.

She'll probably just go with her usual spiel. It's just a fling. It means nothing. I've got this. Did you see the magical jacket? OliverAndLaurelRMent2B. Followed by bicep flexing and maniacal grinning.

Edited by AnyoneButYou
  • Love 7
(edited)

I doubt it will even get as far as Oliver asking Felicity out- Diggle will probably give Oliver a talking to, Oliver gears himself up to ask her on a date, plot happens and he backs out claiming he can't be both The Arrow and Oliver Queen.

I'm praying Felicity knows Ray from MIT and if she does work for him it's not as a EA. 

Edited by patchwork

I somehow doubt they're going to carry on this EA thing for long. Perhaps at the beginning but she's much too genius to be an EA for the entire season. I imagine Ray will somehow allow her genius to flow into subjects she most enjoys.

(edited)

SA said somewhere that whether the 'I love you' was a bait and switch or for real, will be made clear very early on. I guess Oliver taking Felicity on a date makes that bit clear. So I'll sleep easy now knowing that he had meant it. I mean the date not working out doesn't mean there aren't any feelings.

I wonder what Laurel's reaction would be to Slade's speech on I'm-gonna-kill-the-woman-you-love. Does she now think that Ollie has moved on to Felicity? I hope the whole date debacle is not to accommodate Laurel Oliver future relationship because the EPs seem pretty determined to see that through.

In that context I'm happy that Felicity will be getting her own love interest and story arc. Because if Laurel is coming in as BC then Felicity might be put on a backburner like she was once Sara made an appearance. Whereas if she's working in QC then she'll be at the heart of things cuz that's where all the Ray-Palmer-is-the-Atom-action is going to take place.

Edited by At Leisure
  • Love 1

I've changed my mind about the theory that Felicity goes to work for Ray at QC as a spy for Oliver.  I now speculate that, because a clue ties the new Big Bad to Ray, Felicity and Roy break into QC on their own to hack into the new secured servers to try to find info on what Ray is doing (spoiler pic of EBR and CH on floor of QC offices).  They get caught but, instead of having them arrested, Ray is so impressed by Felicity's IT skills that he hires her for his Applied Sciences Division.

Because I like Felicity and I'm pessimistic about what the EPs are doing, I can see how the new spoilers could still lead to an Oliver and Laurel re-hookup.  Oliver's "because of the life I lead" speech to Felicity is consistent with his subsequent hook-up with Sara because what he's really saying is: "Because of the life I lead, it's better if I not try to have a normal life as Oliver Queen with a normal girlfriend that I could love."  By normal girlfriend, he means someone with little or no self-defense skills.  He can still be the Arrow and get involved with and care about someone who has awesome fighting skills (like Sara).  This means that he would not hook up again with the Laurel of the past two seasons, but if Laurel becomes the awesome fighting Black Canary, then he could allow himself to get involved with and love Laurel again.

I don't like the idea of Oliver considering giving up his Arrow crime-fighting in order to be a father to his newly found child.  That's been done before on La Femme Nikita and Nikita, where Michael gives up Nikita and Division in order to go off with his son.

I like the theory that Vertigo may be running things through a boxing facility...

Add me to the list of Felicity working as Ray (or anyone's) EA ever again.  It was a bitter pill for her to swallow last year and it ultimately proved convenient for TA business.  But there's no reason for her to be doing that job again.

I also think Felicity can do a lot of spying on the new CEO (if it comes to that) from being a member of the IT department unless Ray is as tech savvy as she is, or more.

Excuse me! Katie Cassidy does NOT read press releases, nor does she watch the show in its entirety or read the full script.

Thankyou.

hahahahaha, I stand corrected! 

I don't know if goofy cast photos on set necessarily point to possible plot points.  In this case, EBR and CH at QC.  Maybe they will be at QC in the first episode but I think there's just as much liklelihood that they were just hanging out there at a down time.

(edited)

I can see how the new spoilers could still lead to an Oliver and Laurel re-hookup.  Oliver's "because of the life I lead" speech to Felicity is consistent with his subsequent hook-up with Sara because what he's really saying is: "Because of the life I lead, it's better if I not try to have a normal life as Oliver Queen with a normal girlfriend that I could love."  By normal girlfriend, he means someone with little or no self-defense skills.  He can still be the Arrow and get involved with and care about someone who has awesome fighting skills (like Sara).  This means that he would not hook up again with the Laurel of the past two seasons, but if Laurel becomes the awesome fighting Black Canary, then he could allow himself to get involved with and love Laurel again.

If this happens, I'm going to have to stop watching this show. And I don't just mean him getting back together with Laurel, I mean him filling the mainpainy headspace where his brain should be with the notion that he can't have a relationship (especially this time when it directly involves having a relationship with Felicity, if the synopsis is to be believed), and then going and having a relationship with anyone. I'm going to get all Dr. Phil here and say that Oliver? He needs to get into a nice, long relationship with himself and fix that mess. I'm dying for some personal, non-Arrow-related growth for him, and I really want it to start here. Please, showrunners, suppress your urges and let this man be alone for a while.

I'm convinced that the Sara relationship was due to poor planning for the most part, and that when Oliver said that infamous line in 2x06, the writers intended for him to mean it. Then they needed to slow down the Olicity train, add a few easily traversed hills to Laurel's ridiculous joke of an 'island' and basically have some drama-inducing filler for a bit to set up for the last few eps of the season. I like Sara and honestly wouldn't have minded a more developed relationship between her and Oliver (I'm one of those who didn't think the hookup came out of left field, he obviously cared for her, I just wish their hookup had just been a hookup), but it turned everyone into such an idiot.

If there is another "because of the life I lead" moment, it better be a silent one. Oliver needs to keep that (repeat) realization to himself, because voicing something like that and then doing the opposite (again) brings him down a few notches on his already low likability scale, IMO.

ETA: I will be especially pissed if he pulls some nonsense about not wanting to get involved with Felicity because he's worried she'll get hurt when HE SENT HER DIRECTLY TO SLADE with nothing more than a syringe full of a cure and some vague hope that she could maybe stab him in one of his meaty appendages with it. No, show. You can't do that.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 12

@apinknightmare, excellent points.  I don't know what the show has against Oliver taking a breather from intimate relations.  If the justification is because Comic!Oliver is a notorious womanizer, then the show is screwing that up.  I'm glad TV!Oliver is rather different in that sense from his comic counterpart.

When Sara returns in S3, I wonder just how much she'll notice what's going on (or not) between Oliver and Felicity and, heaven help me, Oliver and Laurel (ew). Sure, she told Laurel that Oliver needs her but I also think Sara knew there was something-something going on, unspoken, between Oliver and Felicity, too.  And if her "light" comment to Oliver is to be taken rather literally, then I strongly believe she was referring to Felicity and not Laurel.  Sara benefited from Felicity's friendship & personality.  She has to know how that Oliver needs her very much as well.

The plans to watch or not watch the show in the fall rest solely on what happens with Laurel.  And if we don't know about her in detail before it premieres, I will stick to my last half of S2 method of watching: on the DVR, read the feedback online (was TWoP, will now come here, and check twitter) and watch most of it, with my finger hovering over the FF button. 

If it becomes clear that Laurel is (1) Not going to become BC and (2) never going to hook up again with Oliver, then I'll probably enjoy the show again. 

• Love 3
(edited)

A fighter/boxer maybe? One of Vertigo 2.0's goons?

As for the date, after the "My name is Oliver Queen.." monologue and Previously On segment we could see Felicity and Oliver already at dinner together without really showing him asking her out.  Cue explosion or whatever. 

Keeping in mind that this is not a romantic show at it's core but an action/adventure show, I think Felicity getting a love interest is probably not going to get near the emphasis people are speculating about.  I think it will be more about Oliver's growth and Ray Palmer-The Atom development.  In that Paste interview MG mentions once again that S3 will be about expanding the DC Universe even though some viewers don't like that part of the show.  Felicity is barely a blip in the DC Universe although I know they are adding her to the comics.  I think we'll get some development for her but I won't be surprised if LL as BC gets more even if they are not talking about it.  I would expect there to be more discussion on that closer to the season premier. 

Edited by Sunshine
  • Love 1