Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Now they just need to find a way to properly integrate her role and knowledge as a lawyer into the team. The same way that all the scoobies helped Buffy, they could easily find a way to the same for adding Laurel.

If there is a comparison for Laurel, it’s Angel rather than the Scoobies. When a character had run his or her course on BtVS, they wrote them off the show like they did with Angel, shipping him off once his role in Buffy’s hero’s journey was fulfilled. And BtVS didn’t suddenly make characters a part of Buffy’s circle of trust unless they were 1) family [Dawn] or 2) a love interest [spike, Tara, Anya]. Laurel, like Angel after his relationship with Buffy ended, just doesn’t fit anymore, and there’s no need to keep her around.

Laurel doesn’t have a purpose on Arrow at this point; she doesn’t add anything useful to the team, and she has no relevant place in Oliver’s personal life. So a lot of times her scenes seem irrelevant and pointless. Keeping her around is like having Angel continue to mope around Buffy after they’d both declared a relationship was off limits for them in season 3.

Luckily, the BtVS writers were able to see that keeping characters around after they’d served their purpose wasn’t strong writing. If only the Arrow writers could do the same. Although the someone's-being-killed-off thing and Laurel's complete lack of storylines this season does leave me a tiny bit hopeful they've learned their lesson and she'll be gone soon. 

tl;dr: Laurel’s not a Scooby. She’s post-season-3 Angel. 

• Love 7

I imagine DD has his wife in a glass case somewhere. I feel like its gonna be creepy. I imagine 122+ years ago, he fell in love after running away. But his wife died, perhaps he LP her and she came back crazy, so then he had to kill her and that is what started him on this dark journey. Classically sad & tortured. Perhaps he's been spending all these years trying to find a way to bring her back.

If DD is anyone's father my guess is FB LI and it will be a the result of a fling, not a 8y hiatus from evil.

People don't wear wedding rings unless they are actively married either in reality or in their heart. If he was married to DS, and still loved her, she would be at his side or his ring would be off. If he was longingly looking at a ring, I think that might have been a clue to DS, but that was not the case.

• Love 2

DD technically could have been married with a child 122 years ago. Maybe a distant relative of Felicity's? Ugh, no. I really don't want this actually.

I imagine DD has his wife in a glass case somewhere. I feel like its gonna be creepy. I imagine 122+ years ago, he fell in love after running away. But his wife died, perhaps he LP her and she came back crazy, so then he had to kill her and that is what started him on this dark journey. Classically sad & tortured. Perhaps he's been spending all these years trying to find a way to bring her back.

If DD is anyone's father my guess is FB LI and it will be a the result of a fling, not a 8y hiatus from evil.

People don't wear wedding rings unless they are actively married either in reality or in their heart. If he was married to DS, and still loved her, she would be at his side or his ring would be off. If he was longingly looking at a ring, I think that might have been a clue to DS, but that was not the case.

"This is how I shall always remember you: surrounded by winter, forever young, forever beautiful. Rest well, my love. The monster who took you from me will soon learn that revenge is a dish... best served COLD."

If you are going wives in glass cases...MR. FREEZE

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 8

If there is a comparison for Laurel, it’s Angel rather than the Scoobies. When a character had run his or her course on BtVS, they wrote them off the show like they did with Angel, shipping him off once his role in Buffy’s hero’s journey was fulfilled. And BtVS didn’t suddenly make characters a part of Buffy’s circle of trust unless they were 1) family [Dawn] or 2) a love interest [spike, Tara, Anya]. Laurel, like Angel after his relationship with Buffy ended, just doesn’t fit anymore, and there’s no need to keep her around.

Laurel doesn’t have a purpose on Arrow at this point; she doesn’t add anything useful to the team, and she has no relevant place in Oliver’s personal life. So a lot of times her scenes seem irrelevant and pointless. Keeping her around is like having Angel continue to mope around Buffy after they’d both declared a relationship was off limits for them in season 3.

Luckily, the BtVS writers were able to see that keeping characters around after they’d served their purpose wasn’t strong writing. If only the Arrow writers could do the same. Although the someone's-being-killed-off thing and Laurel's complete lack of storylines this season does leave me a tiny bit hopeful they've learned their lesson and she'll be gone soon. 

tl;dr: Laurel’s not a Scooby. She’s post-season-3 Angel. 

They didn't ship Angel off because he didn't fit in her life, they shipped him off because to expand on the character and planned on adding him back to the show if it had failed. Yeah she is technically Angel in that she would be stronger on her own show. But in a show where they made Cordelia/Spike/Anya/Tara/Willow/Xander/Dawn/Tara all work and be part of the group, the Arrow writers shouldn't have a hard time doing the same for Laurel. Even Angel fit just fine during his 3 seasons on the show apart from Buffy. But they knew that all their characters mattered and everything didn't have to come through Buffy, it just had to end up connecting with her. 

It's not like Donna has gone out of her way to stay under the radar.  If she was his wife, and he wanted her to be with him, she would be (in chains if necessary).  So am I supposed to believe he married her, had a baby, left for whatever reason, and then hasn't bothered to keep track of his daughter or wife but is wearing his wedding ring?  No, it's not one bit believable that this 100+ year old warrior dude shacked up with Donna Smoak in Vegas for eight years, is pining after Donna but hasn't done anything about it this whole time.

PLEASE let him not be her father!  I'll take the creepy wife-in-a-glass-case reveal over him being Felicity's dad all day long.

• Love 4

I doubt they would make his the father of the FB love interest.IMO she will be just there to contrast Olicity and probably die.If they are making him related to anyone on the show I think it will be Felicity.

Didn't he say that he was diferent in the flashback that takes place like 40 years ago?Idk I would like him to be her dad because I want him to be a villain but not one they try to redeem like Malcolm,the actor is good and its a great time to do it with the whole family theme.I would be okay with someone high ranked in HIVE to be her dad too.

I can't even picture Donna and Damien together (oh no, alliteration!). Can anybody? It doesn't fit to me. Or maybe this is wishful thinking on my part.

I do want to meet Felicity's dad. I want to know why he left. I want to know how that really affected Felicity growing up because I can only imagine right now. But I do worry that she would just get lost in the storyline if DD was her father. Not as lost as she was in Ray Palmer's story but almost. It's a concern.

EXACTLY! :) BTW, nice new icon :)

Aw, thanks! It's still the same character, my fave, I just wanted something brighter! :)

Edited by Guest

I want him to be a main villain.I don't think that rules out that it will be about her,I think it actually puts her right in the action even more then she is.A side character only there to be her dad could end up being a Palmer Island situation just as easily IMO.

We also waited a long time for that storyline,I want her dad to be a big deal.

• Love 4

Based on that new article in EW with Neal McDonough, I'm now even more firmly convinced that Quentin isn't long for this world. I think we have our answer on the grave. And based on NM's response, as much as some people here will hate it, I'm pretty sure he's going to die saving either Laurel, Sara, or both.

Edited by NumberCruncher

Based on that new article in EW with Neal McDonough, I'm now even more firmly convinced that Quentin isn't long for this world. I think we have our answer on the grave. And based on NM's response, as much as some people here will hate it, I'm pretty sure he's going to die saving either Laurel, Sara, or both.

I wouldn't hate him saving his daughter, but I would hate the Laurel angst that would follow (not that she shouldn't be angsty/angry, that's just my least favorite Laurel).

• Love 2

They didn't ship Angel off because he didn't fit in her life, they shipped him off because to expand on the character and planned on adding him back to the show if it had failed. Yeah she is technically Angel in that she would be stronger on her own show. But in a show where they made Cordelia/Spike/Anya/Tara/Willow/Xander/Dawn/Tara all work and be part of the group, the Arrow writers shouldn't have a hard time doing the same for Laurel. Even Angel fit just fine during his 3 seasons on the show apart from Buffy. But they knew that all their characters mattered and everything didn't have to come through Buffy, it just had to end up connecting with her. 

No they shipped Angel off because he no longer fit into Buffy's life and Joyce aka Buffy's mom made him realize that (well through the writers she did when they spoke about how he couldn't really offer Buffy a future hmmm). I personally do not think that this rendition i.e. Laurel could carry a show by herself as the Black Canary. I just don't think she would have the fan base nor do I think anyone would invest in it. Giving the factor that even now when a comic preview prominently showcases her the majority of the comments are not about her. Buffy was a strong lead and while they were her supporting cast I think fans would have watched any of those other characters have an episode of their own and most of them did, I just don't think too many fans right now would be too interested in seeing an hour episode devoted exclusively to this Black Canary. Yes Laurel matters and so does her character I just don't think she matters that much to too many people watching Arrow right now.

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 2

What I like about the NM interview, is I feel like he understands the character, can become the character, but can also be critical of the character. I feel like this will give a better performance because he won't get easily distracted by his performance. His self-awareness of the character I think will be an asset.

Personally, I think his interview makes me think that it is most definitely a Lance in the ground.

His comment about the kool-aid & the glass of wine was great. I hope he can keep DD's swagger and Ego up, because I feel like that will be his downfall. And I don't want another Ras situation again, where in the last few eps they change his motivation and all of the sudden he's a new villain. I understood the dying zen-like surfer dude villain that was Ras for most of the season, then all of the sudden he was on a time clock. The tonal swap was just too much and killed whatever momentum they were building. I want DD momentum and Ego to just keep building. He's an evil megalomaniac - I want that elevated & dramatized, I don't really want him to all of the sudden be someone they want us to empathize with.

• Love 1

Are you referring to this?

I’m guessing Captain Lance (Paul Blackthorne) did not drink the Kool-Aid. What threat does Darhk have over him?

Oh, his children. I will make sure that his family pays if he doesn’t pay allegiance to me in perfection, and that’s what happens. The scenes between Paul and myself get darker and darker and darker. It’s pretty great. Paul’s fantastic.

No they shipped Angel off because he no longer fit into Buffy's life and Joyce aka Buffy's mom made him realize that (well through the writers she did when they spoke about how he couldn't really offer Buffy a future hmmm). I personally do not think that this rendition i.e. Laurel could carry a show by herself as the Black Canary. I just don't think she would have the fan base nor do I think anyone would invest in it. Giving the factor that even now when a comic preview prominently showcases her the majority of the comments are not about her. Buffy was a strong lead and while they were her supporting cast I think fans would have watched any of those other characters have an episode of their own and most of them did, I just don't think too many fans right now would be too interested in seeing an hour episode devoted exclusively to this Black Canary. Yes Laurel matters and so does her character I just don't think she matters that much to too many people watching Arrow right now.

Considering Joss said that knew after Season 2, David could carry his own show, I would say they shipped him off because Joss wanted to expand upon Angel, not because he didn't fit in the show anymore.

I want him to be a main villain.I don't think that rules out that it will be about her,I think it actually puts her right in the action even more then she is.A side character only there to be her dad could end up being a Palmer Island situation just as easily IMO.

We also waited a long time for that storyline,I want her dad to be a big deal.

He can be a right hand man of DD and still be big. He would have to be big enough to be at DDs side.

If anything that interview makes it sound like he hurts Laurel.But yeah pretty sure its a Lance that dies which is great because they are both useless.

Neal is spoiling a lot in the interview.He said DD has a soft spot for someone while the EPs are saying he's pure evil in every single interview lol.

• Love 3

Considering Joss said that knew after Season 2, David could carry his own show, I would say they shipped him off because Joss wanted to expand upon Angel, not because he didn't fit in the show anymore.

He can be a right hand man of DD and still be big. He would have to be big enough to be at DDs side.

I don't think if you are trying to get the networks to pick up a spin-off of one of your shows that he would have said anything other than that. I liked Angel I watched Angel but I do think there was NO WHERE else for the show to go with him on Buffy thus the nudge by Buffy's mom (through the writers and possibly creator too) so maybe it was a bit of both. But I don't think any creator of a show is going to give a bad spin to a show or the actor who he wants for that show that's just not how I think it works in that crazy world of show business. 

Besides what David Boreanez had as far as charisma and likability in his role as Angel is the same 2 things lacking in Katie Cassidy's role as Laurel/Black Canary by my observation and in my opinion.

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 1
What can you tell us about his organization, H.I.V.E.?

Oh, it’s great fun. I basically make these guys take this medication that makes them acquiesce to anything that I want them to do. It’s kind of like I give them the Kool-Aid and they say, “Yup,” and their brains stop and I say, “Why don’t you just go over there and kill those six people? I’ll be over here having a glass of wine.” It’s so absurd in what it is that if I play it so serious, then it becomes really absurd. If I play it funny, then this is hysterical that I can get these guys to do what I want them to do. He’s a dictator, but he realizes that, as puppet master, he can do anything he wants and no one can kill him.

I wonder how he is making these men become mindless slaves to him and why he isn't trying to get Quentin on it.

• Love 1

right now.

It's both.  Joss realized he had a strong enough actor to continue his franchise and Angel really did not fit in the Buffy universe anymore, not as a full time supporting character to Buffy.  I agree that Laurel is more of the Angel side of things. 

• Love 1

It's such a shame that the writers aren't having DD be the one to bring Sara back to hold over Quentin's head. That would show how cold hearted and calculated the guy is. I'm also interested in learning how these two even came to be in business with one another.

• Love 1

Reading through his interview, it occurred to me that DD really reminds me of a character that Neal played on Desperate Housewives. 

He said daughters.

I can see it now. Laurel brings back Sara. DD goes after Sara. Lance dies for Sara.

Oh Laurel.

But Sara will be long gone by the time anyone dies.

We don't know if Sara is gone when the death happens.They said six months in show so they can make that happen by midseason like I think it will.I don't think they will drag this death out longer then 10 episodes.

Edited by tangerine95

I wouldn't hate him saving his daughter, but I would hate the Laurel angst that would follow (not that she shouldn't be angsty/angry, that's just my least favorite Laurel).

I know in the face of such tragedy upon tragedy, I myself would, perhaps, want to leave town for awhile (or forever). Start fresh someplace new. Gone. Away. 

Just an idea.

I understand the Buffy/Angel comparisons, but I can't help but think the Arrow writers aren't in the same league as the Buffy writers. Buffy wasn't perfect, but it's clear to me that the S1B/S2A of Arrow was a fluke. A fluke I keep hoping they can recapture, but my hopes are growing dimmer.

• Love 5

I just hate the idea of DD being Felicity's father because I am so tired of Daddy issues for Team Arrow.  Oliver, Thea, Roy (abandoned), Laurel, Nyssa..... enough already.  I will, however, accept DD as Felicity's paternal grandfather.  Or someone forcing Felicity's father to work for him.

I know that in the comics DD is a tech genius but did the show suggest any of that?   Other than stopping arrows, which seems more mystical than tech given the sanskrit.

NMcD seems to be having the time of his life playing DD.

I don't think its spoilers or that if Quentin dies that will give Laurel a storyline they just can't talk about yet.I really think they have nothing planed for her.I could be wrong of course but I think there's a chance they either kill her off or write her out this year.

They gave her Sara's resurrection for 4A.  Diggle got Andy/HIVE for 4A, Felicity got CEO/Ray/Curtis, Thea got LP fall-out and Quentin got Sara/DD.  No one has got any 4B storylines that we know of, although SA was seen shooting with kid and BabyMama.  I think it's too soon to be putting Laurel in that grave just because we don't know her 4B storyline.

• Love 1

I just hate the idea of DD being Felicity's father because I am so tired of Daddy issues for Team Arrow.  Oliver, Thea, Roy (abandoned), Laurel, Nyssa..... enough already.  I will, however, accept DD as Felicity's paternal grandfather.  Or someone forcing Felicity's father to work for him.

But regardless of who her father is (whether it's Damien or not) Felicity IS going to have daddy issues considering he abandoned her...

• Love 1

I think Diggle's storyline will be a whole season thing,as well as Felicity being CEO since they keep promising it won't be all about Ray plus all the vague answers about her dad this year,depending on how dark Thea goes I could see that lasting longer then nine episodes and she has her love interest,Oliver's mayor thing will probably last a whole season.

Sara is the only one we know for sure ends in the crossover.That doesn't mean they can't give her something new,I'm just saying my impression for now seems like they have no plans.Tbh her lack of storyline isn't even top of my list of why she might be getting written off.

I'm not totally sure about it of course,I just think her and Lance have equal chance of being the one in the grave for now.

• Love 1

But regardless of who her father is (whether it's Damien or not) Felicity IS going to have daddy issues considering he abandoned her...

She'll have daddy issues but hopefully they can be solved fairly painlessly as her mommy issues were in one episode. But not if her father is a 122 year old sociopath who runs an evil organization that killed Diggle's brother and has already killed multiple people in just his first episode..

• Love 3

We don't know if Sara is gone when the death happens.They said six months in show so they can make that happen by midseason like I think it will.I don't think they will drag this death out longer then 10 episodes.

The only thing we know so far about when the death happens is that it's 6 months in-show time, and that there will time for everyone to process their feelings about it (per the EPs). The most obvious timeline is that the death happens in April (assuming show time follows real time), maybe around episode 20, and the grieving process happens at the same time as the ramp up to the season finale. However, in seasons past, Arrow has never given time for the characters to react to anything during the last 3 episodes of the season, which have typically been wall-to-wall action. So that's why I think it'll happen at the end of February, maybe 4x15, because if the death has as much impact as the EPs are implying, it should be a sweeps event. That would give enough time for the characters to react/regroup and maybe squeeze in a mini crossover event (4x16-4x19) before launching into the last 4 episodes.

Of course, this is all contingent on whether the EPs aren't lying or exaggerating about the significance of the death.

• Love 3

The only thing we know so far about when the death happens is that it's 6 months in-show time, and that there will time for everyone to process their feelings about it (per the EPs). The most obvious timeline is that the death happens in April (assuming show time follows real time), maybe around episode 20, and the grieving process happens at the same time as the ramp up to the season finale. However, in seasons past, Arrow has never given time for the characters to react to anything during the last 3 episodes of the season, which have typically been wall-to-wall action. So that's why I think it'll happen at the end of February, maybe 4x15, because if the death has as much impact as the EPs are implying, it should be a sweeps event. That would give enough time for the characters to react/regroup and maybe squeeze in a mini crossover event (4x16-4x19) before launching into the last 4 episodes.

Of course, this is all contingent on whether the EPs aren't lying or exaggerating about the significance of the death.

My guess is 4.09 or 4.10 but I could see them saving it for sweeps to.They have been known to oversell things but I get the feeling they know how much they are hyping this.If they make people guess since the first episode and make them freak out about it being Felicity then they better not make the death a random character we just meet.

For the Gag Reel - I want the gravestone to have the most ridiculous thing on it, when its revealed to SA & GG, just to see them having to keep a straight face while supposedly mourning this great loss when they do reshoots or additional scenes.

• Love 4

Donna returns for 4x09 and 4x10 so there may be a different cliff-hanger for the winter hiatus.

Having the death in February sweeps makes some sense and then they can use it to springboard the last set of episodes.

• Love 2

But that's exactly the problem, IMO. I do think Oliver needed to be more open to suggestions and working with people but it's still his show and he's the main character. He should be the leader. Sorry but the guy has years and years of experience but I'm supposed to believe he'll just leave decisions up to people who've barely been doing this for months. Naw, son.

Maybe I should go back to the bitterness thread. LMAO.

Your "Naw, son has me howling. OMG lol also I agree with everything you typed.
  • Love 2

So, the Damien Darhk storyline actually seems to have direction. I like. The thing about him wanting to befriend Oliver is a little reminiscent of Brother Blood, although in this situation Oliver knows who the bastard shaking his hand is. And my God, can you imagine Oliver actually having to shake his hand after their last encounter? Darhk did not kind touch him. Or even better, when he offers his hand to someone else. Likely Thea if they are to have their first encounter without the hood and the mask in 402, where Thea is at the rally with Oliver.

It turns out he drugs his guys, which isn't too bad. I was just hoping that he would have all his men have the same face, namely the dude he touched to death. A) Creepy and appropriate because they're not people to him, they're just mindless drones. B) Hot.

• Love 2

Question: Any scoop on Arrow? —Sara

Ausiello: Malcolm’s Season 4 will revolve “around Thea and trying to be a good father while also being the very evil, badass Ra’s al Ghul,” executive producer Wendy Mericle previews, adding that “we want to restore him to more of the Season 1 Malcolm who was going around and messing up Oliver’s plans and anyone else he can cross paths with.” Speaking of obstacles, Nyssa is “definitely not going to be on board with Malcolm as Ra’s,” Mericle says. “We’re hoping to take that in a cool, very fighty-fight orientated direction.”

I hope this means Nyssa will survive Sara's resurrection and the "Who in the coffin speculation" I really want to see her mess with Malcolm's Ra's. 

• Love 4

Neal is spoiling a lot in the interview.He said DD has a soft spot for someone while the EPs are saying he's pure evil in every single interview lol.

He actually said "something very special to him in his life". So, if I take that literally, it could be an object/talisman/artifact that he needs to live. Though, it very well could be a person, too, but, if it is a person, I don't think he really cares about them all that much anymore since Neal McDonough said he's not humanizing Darhk all that much.

I honestly don't see where everyone is getting that Damien Darhk might be Felicity's dad/uncle/great grandpa/cousin twice removed/etc. From NMcD's interviews, it sounds like he's the furthest thing from being a relative of anyone alive since he implied that whatever humanized him/made him the biggest evil happened 122 years ago. Which, since it's Arrow, is likely 'The Death of a Woman/Child He Loved'™ more than a century ago (Oh! Maybe, Ra's stole the woman he loved along with what he perceived to be his rightful place as al Ghul. Ah! Make it more soapy and, maybe, she was Nyssa's mom!). Also, as others have said, it really would be plain weird that this certain megalomaniac would hit pause just to live a domesticated life with Donna for 8(?) years and build computers with baby Felicity in the '80s.

It sounds like Darhk had a tantrum 122 years ago, when he was passed over for Nable's al Ghul, and has since been trying to get what he wants (power/rule the world) in any way possible. He did steal some of the water from the Lazarus Pit, which led to his sorta immortality (just like Ra's). But, since he hasn't been able to defeat Ra's/the LoA after all this time, Darhk probably was unable to figure out exactly how to get what he wanted until 40 years ago, after his encounter with Vandal Savage (the EPs want you to watch LoT, guys!).

I'm betting the actually immortal Savage (who, I think, will possess some time traveling capabilities/tech in LoT, just like Rip Hunter) will be very instrumental in shaping Darhk's current agenda and probably filled his head with the idea that it is his destiny to be ruler of the world at this particular moment in time, which is why Darhk's suddenly ramping up the evil now as opposed to any other time before. And the death of Star City is what is necessary to get what he wants.

I, also, think that Savage could be responsible for Darhk gaining/figuring out those mystical powers. 'Cause if he's had these powers all this time (for the past 122 years) then he could've defeated/gotten the League from Ra's easily. But if his encounter with Savage is what led him to this mysticism and elevated his yearning for power beyond the LoA 40 years ago, then I can see how he's just been biding his time to make his move and, instead, busied himself with helping build H.I.V.E.

On another note, I don't think Darhk is the ultimate leader of H.I.V.E. He may be one of the leaders but I think Vandal Savage may be the real puppet master. Didn't Darhk say that he was "part of an organization that wants the leaders of SC to let the city die" and that he needed to get everything done "before his associates get there"? Who are his colleagues? Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Malcolm and his shenanigans turns out to be under H.I.V.E.'s purview, as well.

I'm really curious why Andy's death was so important for H.I.V.E. that they hired Deadshot to kill him all those years ago. Why Andy? What was so special about him? Praying to all the Lords of Kobol that the Arrow writers don't get sidetracked with their shiny new toys and that Diggle gets a really meaty storyline with this H.I.V.E/Andy business.

Also, also (I know this post is super long but) if we're really looking for a supervillain that could be Felicity's father? Vandal Savage. Genius level intellect, highly-capable with technology (IIRC, dude invented a time machine in the DCAU), and he has black hair (just like Felicity). Plus, he's immortal so he actually does have time to hit pause in his plans, fake a relationship and/or seduce Donna to have Felicity since he's fathered thousands of children. I don't want it, though. I actually don't want Felicity's dad to be someone outright bad/evil since he sounded like a nice person (from what Donna said) until he left/wasn't. I want him to be more of a gray area kind of evil/Anti-Villain if he has to be on the villain side.

• Love 8

Is Vandal Savage supposed to be on Arrow or just LoT?

I don't think Felicity has black hair, I thought they intentionally made it look dyed in the flashback. I always thought her natural hair color was somewhere between that and the blonde.