Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E05: Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

• Start Topic

This scene is disturbing to watch after seeing last episode, after what Hunt said,he did not have the guts to tell Cristina what he told Amelia, always a coward,always a coward. He acted totally differently towards Cristina regarding the plane crash from what he told Amelia. A barefaced hypocrite. What a f...d up man he is.I actually have goosebumps of horror when I watch this scene when now I know he actually did wish her death.

Just to compare the 2 versions of Hunt´s story.

Edited by Nobodysfan
  • Love 1

Stephanie's outburst to Jo was a rant Izzie Stevens would be proud of. So obnoxious.

Are they writing Canilla Luddington out? As already said above they're certainly ticking all the boxes in attempting to get viewers to hate her. I like Jo, I always have and while reaction to her here is lukewarm I know plenty of other sites and non online viewers who enjoy her so I don't know if treating her like shit before dumping her off the show is the way to go.

I am thinking the same.I have had my issues with the character and actress  early on, but I grew to like both of them,on screen,off screen. Jo is in a very difficult position. This episode was torture for  her. I can´t imagine how she must have felt, totally ignored by her boyfriend, Meredith only pretending to be nice to her, Stephanie going all ballistic on her. April did not like how she was cutting the celery,just a stupid thing really,but it hurt and she was only good to take out rubbish which she did with no hesitation. I feel sorry for Jo. She swallows a lot of it. 

Though,one thing, she asked that intern to bring some food, he did, he helped them, what is his name Isaac?? then she rudely told him to go away,just as they were being seated at the table. I find that quite rude.

He has a nice sweet crush on her,with no hesitation just to be near her sitting on a toy rocking horse.

What do you think? 

Edited by Nobodysfan

I loved this episode -- totally forgot it was the 250th, but it showed. Wow. Did Shonda write it? It had a little something extra that usually comes with a Shonda-penned hour, but if it was one of her minions, she has taught them well.

As someone who loved Mer/Der, but was a Mer fan first, I grieved and mourned the loss of Derek (as well as you can mourn a fictional character), but thought the show did a really good job bouncing back. However, I understood the criticisms of those who argued they rushed through Meredith's mourning process so they could move on.

But this ep? I mean, talk about a requiem for a beloved character. What I absolutely loved is how they only focused on Meredith -- her expressions, her pain, the photos, her kids' room, her zoning out and reliving the night and us right along with her. When she revealed who Penny was, and Amelia spoke up, I went "Oh right...she was his sister."

I loved how they brought history back into the episode, even in the smallest ways. April remembering the medical error that killed her patient, so she could sympathize with Penny. Even Owen bringing up the plane crash, as strange as that was. I thought he was going to confess that he was the one who put them on that crappy plane with the shoddy contractors and caused the crash (as much as Penny "caused" Derek's death), but they went in an entirely different direction.

Amelia usually bugs me, but I really understood her tonight. Because she wasn't there, Derek is still "frozen in time" for her, and as we went through last year, there's a part of her who's never come to terms with it. I also loved how child-like she sounded -- especially since the two of them were siblings. It just struck me as very realistic.

When every character spoke about the situation, it was like I remembered their interactions with Derek. Of all the non-Meredith people, I remember being the most touched by Callie's reaction to his death, so her "he was my friend" kind of killed me there. Great moment.

And Ellen Pompeo. Wow wow wow. What a command performance. A mature, emotional, heartfelt performance. Barely keeping it together and finally cracking. Gah, and the details of her taking the picture away, only to be greeted by the (cracked) wedding Post-It.

There are shows I've seen that sweep a character's death under the carpet (Downton Abbey), and then there are shows that can't stop bringing up the character every 15 minutes (Glee). Grey's is doing the best job of a show that I can remember of not dwelling on a dead character, but remembering him -- even at the moments where you least expect it. I think bringing Penny on full time is the show's odd way of making sure Derek isn't forgotten, and I'm OK with that.

Happy 250, Grey's! You threw us all a dinner party with a menu consisting of pain, heartbreak and terrific acting. So...please, sir, I want some more?

• Love 5

This scene is disturbing to watch after seeing last episode, after what Hunt said,he did not have the guts to tell Cristina what he told Amelia, always a coward,always a coward. He acted totally differently towards Cristina regarding the plane crash from what he told Amelia. A barefaced hypocrite. What a f...d up man he is.I actually have goosebumps of horror when I watch this scene when now I know he actually did wish her death.

Just to compare the 2 versions of Hunt´s story.

He didn't wish her death. He said for a second when he thought she might be dead he was relieved. Sometimes our sub-conscious thinks thing that we know are wrong or don't really want to be true. And in that instant with him that's what he thought. But he would never want it to be true, he never wished her dead.

• Love 2

He didn't wish her death. He said for a second when he thought she might be dead he was relieved. Sometimes our sub-conscious thinks thing that we know are wrong or don't really want to be true. And in that instant with him that's what he thought. But he would never want it to be true, he never wished her dead.

He felt relieved at the thought of her death,so it means at least for me the same as he wished her death rather than her being alive. I do not see a difference. As a result, it can be deduced he also wished she was dead in the shopping mall blast - season 10 finale. At least for me it is crystal clear. I would say the fact Cristina is alive, happy and breathing in Zurich makes him growl and grind his teeth.

BTW, Sandra guest stars in a new show called "Shitty boyfriends", how it fits Hunt. Unbelievable. This episode and his revelation only cements his true shitty nature with regard to treating women. JMO

Edited by Nobodysfan

I'm not a huge Owen fan these days, but wow, some of the reactions to what he said make me wonder if many of the posters have truly never felt any flickers of less-than-admirable emotions during a grieving process. Grief inspires so many different emotions, including sometimes ones we'd never want to admit to. If you've never had any of those, then all I can say is that I envy you, because the associated guilt with feeling those things — even for a brief instant — doesn't make the process any easier.

I truly apologize if the above comes across as minimizing anyone's grief or implying that they've grieved wrong or anything like that. But I just can't quite wrap my head around the intense hatred that his admission seems to have inspired.

• Love 6

The actor was great but I didn't find the serial killer storyline itself all that compelling. It was obvious from the getgo that it was designed to show how oh-so-caring Meredith is because she's able to care about a killer (nevermind she is unethical, ignored the orders from the attending and had no fucks to give that her husband told her his father was murdered in an episode just before this, gosh darn she cares!).  The fact that she can be nice to/show more respect to a murderer than Alex's SO proves what a bitch she is.

Edited by maasa

The actor was great but I didn't find the serial killer storyline itself all that compelling. It was obvious from the getgo that it was designed to show how oh-so-caring Meredith is because she's able to care about a killer (nevermind she is unethical, ignored the orders from the attending and had no fucks to give that her husband told her his father was murdered in an episode just before this, gosh darn she cares!).  The fact that she can be nice to/show more respect to a murderer than Alex's SO proves what a bitch she is.

Funny. I think the fact that Alex himself treats Jo like the whinny child she is proves he's not that into her.

I could agree but then why is he living with her, offering to have kids and continuing with a relationship when he'd rather be off braiding hair with the sisters.

I could agree but then why is he living with her, offering to have kids and continuing with a relationship when he'd rather be off braiding hair with the sisters.

Ha! I can NOT answer that. The only episodes I have watched in their entirety since before Christina left (sad face) was the one where Derek was killed and then the one from a week or two ago-- Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. I have watched bits and pieces of other eps and from what I've seen --- Alex just doesn't seem to be that into Jo.

Besides Alex seems like the kind of character that takes the easy way out if it's offered. So why wouldn't he live with her? And why wouldn't he tell her what she wants to hear? makes life more peaceful. But I do not like the character so if Alex dumps her I will be out here cheering.

I will say that she went out and got that apartment. I don't remember exactly, but they didn't go looking together did they? They talked about it, I think she brought it up and then surprised him with the space. So if I remembered the correctly, he wasn't against idea, but he also didn't seem like he was full steam ahead or that excited about it. 

But then again, Alex doesn't do the kind of excitement that say Owen had when he took Cristina to that firehouse and tried to get her to picture the possibilities. Or when Derek talked about the dream house. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in Alex so maybe it's just not in him to show that kind of enthusiasm.

But like I said, I remember distinctly him taking Jo's face in his hands and passionately telling her that she was his family that they were all each other needed.  I know I saw that at April's wedding. That was the most passionate I had seen him since they wasted it on that ungrateful ass Izzie, during her cancer story line.

Edited by represent

Yeah it was like Shonda just suddenly stopped acknowledging the couple existed midway through season 11 and suddenly Meredith started hating her. It's a pity because I thought they were quite a nice couple with nice moments.

• Love 1