Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: The Sisters Mills

I read that as Pandora's father bragging that she was innocent in that she had no language (since it was beaten out of her) and thus could not form plots, schemes, or desires, since she had no way to express them, rather than she was literally of the first days of creation. The perfect slave, until she convinces her new owner that you're a huge dickwad and he should feed you to his lion. 

So far my read on Pandora is that of a formerly horribly abused mortal woman whose method of taking back her own power and desire is achieving immortality through her own will--that is, becoming a witch and living on through the ages, spreading pain and fear and trouble. That's what was beaten into her, that's what she knows, that's what she does. She probably took the name Pandora deliberately rather than it being her actual given name, if she can even remember what that is. 

That sounds plausible, although I don't know how good a feeling I have for how these people think. But one of the central themes of the Eden story was the equation between knowledge and evil, so it could be that the reason things didn't work out for Lilith or a possible child is that Adam wanted to 'purify' the knowledge out of her.

• Love 2

I remember the sexy part of the later scene, but I forgot how excruciating the first scene is to watch

Clutch the pearls! Both sexy scenes had me going, "Crane??!! Put your clothes on!" But yeah, no boring smooches in those scenes.

He looks very different clean-shaven. I much prefer Tom Mison with a moustache.

Good lord, that was awful! There was a lot of blocking (thank god), even if it was by his skinny ass, and lots of changing angles, to fake urgency and passion. Oof! Definitely not a good kisser, but the other stuff was easier to sell with the changing angles and nudity. Tom Mison should never ever shave (or get naked) *shudders*

• Love 1

I found a link on Youtube, LeeLeePanda. It's got Spanish (text) subtitles on it, but some of the scenes are there. It's an age restricted video because of the content though, so I don't know if people will have trouble accessing it? He starts off in the first couple scenes of the clip, and comes back around 5:15 or so.

I remember the sexy part of the later scene, but I forgot how excruciating the first scene is to watch (when she's being all glam call girl and that's not what he wanted or was comfortable with, LOL).

Wow, that clip is ....something. I had forgotten just how adult content that show was. Still, I think Mison really fit with the awkward in the initial scene and I didn't really find the second scene to be smoking hot or anything. I wonder how he would be in something else where he has to be both romantic and physically intimate. There's just something kinda stiff about him (Stop It!) that really works as Ichabod and someone uptight.

• Love 1

I haven't watched the clip in question, so I'll reserve judgment on the nudity, but I agree Tom Mison looks completely different without the goatee - much more nebbishy and square. I fervently hope he keeps it because there's no way he'd look like the Ichabod we know and (mostly) love without it.

I cannot disagree with you enough.   :)

I agree about the shaving - he's one of those guys who looks better with facial hair. But I agree with you sinkwriter! Moar, please!

I fervently hope he keeps it because there's no way he'd look like the Ichabod we know and (mostly) love without it.

It's why I've dubbed him The Chameleon - dude can look really different depending on hair (colour, length, style), facial hair, with/without glasses. Unrecognizable at times.

Forgot to mention (I think) how I love how Jenny was filming Crane "teaching" in the classroom. Lyndie Greenwood is so good in the role, and Jenny just gets so many kicks out of what Crane does in general. Love them working together in this episode.

• Love 3

I do really like him with the facial hair, which is weird because I'm not usually a woman who is hugely attracted to men with mustaches or facial hair. But in recent years there have been a small number who just seem to look really good with a beard or some general scruff. Tom's definitely one, TJ Thyne from Bones is another. They're attractive to me either way, but I do like the facial hair on them, and in Tom's case it works really well for the Crane role.

• Love 1

Still, I think Mison really fit with the awkward in the initial scene and I didn't really find the second scene to be smoking hot or anything. I wonder how he would be in something else where he has to be both romantic and physically intimate. There's just something kinda stiff about him (Stop It!) that really works as Ichabod and someone uptight.

Okay, I'm not shipping (really, I'm not. I think), but Tom Mison as an actor manages to relax and lose some of that stiffness during his scenes with Nicole Beharie (and even with Lyndie, to some extent). And I find the chaste hugs between Crane and Abbie to be more intimate (and dare I say hotter?) than those two love scenes.

• Love 2

Ah, Topanga, just embrace your inner shipper! :-D

Once you all started mentioning Adam and Eve, my mind immediately jumped to Lilith as a possible identity for Pandora.  Then, I thought of True Blood and fervently began hoping for a different direction.

Regarding her monologue, though, I actually thought that perhaps she was naturally a witch--or at least had the power to control people's actions through her speech--and that's why her father beat her until she forgot how to speak.  [Hmmm, which brings up all sorts of icky ideas as to why someone would buy a beautiful slave who was unable to speak.]  Then, after she was sold and recovered her speech, she used her powers to convince her master to feed her father to the lions.  At least, that's my working (crackpot?) theory.

Edited by netlyon2
  • Love 3

Okay, I'm not shipping (really, I'm not. I think), but Tom Mison as an actor manages to relax and lose some of that stiffness during his scenes with Nicole Beharie (and even with Lyndie, to some extent). And I find the chaste hugs between Crane and Abbie to be more intimate (and dare I say hotter?) than those two love scenes.

*sigh* Alright guys - I guess I'll take one for the team...I'll find Mison and determine truly if he's really a "bad" kisser (seriously doubt it) and get back to you on the verdict.... *grin*

Honestly, I think it's part of the character. He's supposed to be reserved and formal in his bearing, as an 18th century man should be. That's why whenever he sits down, Crane's back is straight and rigid (see the Immigration prison scene). Mison has commented that he never realized how bad his posture was, until playing the role. When Crane is standing, his hands are always clasped behind his back, and again, very formal and rigid. Same with the woman of that time - very courtly and reserved, as expected. For example, he should never appear in public without his coat on - but he does in Abbie and Jenny's presence. And it's reflected in his behaviour with the wife and others.

I like the difference that Crane is so much more relaxed with Abbie and Jenny - he knows them, trusts them and feels comfortable in their presence, knows he doesn't have to act a certain way. It's a lovely thing to see this actually.

• Love 6

Julia, I think you are on to something here. Pandora may also BE Lilith. Lilith is usually depicted as either a woman with a snake coiled around her or half woman-half snake. I found a website that asked "What do Lilith, Eve and Pandora have in common?" The answer is all were the First Woman in the world according to Jewish and Greek mythology, all were created by a god or gods and all brought tribulation to mankind.

Man, if that's not a classic case of projection, I don't know what is.  The gender that commits the most crime, perpetrates the most violence, and causes pretty much all the wars, wants to blame the other gender for bringing about the problems of the world.

ETA:  I just read my post over, and I can totally imagine Abbie saying that to Ichabod.

Edited by Sparkling Beth
  • Love 3

It is a sacrifice I am more than willing to make, for you guys and for the greater good... *grin*

(gif is from Salmon Fishing in The Yemen)

He's quite a dish in that movie. I like Ewan MacGregor, but I couldn't understand throwing Mison over for him. At all.

I'm a bit concerned they're making Ichabod a bit over the top. Part of Tom's appeal is that he's handsome, elegant, and smart, but can be a goof as well. They went a little heavy on the goof in this ep. Hope it's a one-time thing.

Edited by Oconnellaboo
  • Love 3

Okay I caught up and let me say I am really intrigued by the Lilith angle. That sounds cool. And pre-garden?

I had reams of research on this stuff years go when I was working on a book. I went in a different direction but may have to go back and find it. When I can walk.

Edited by phoenics

I didn't understand the implication of Abbie's not craving "mortality" like the others. Who craves mortality? I thought she'd said "immortality" at first, but on rewatch I realized I was wrong. Abbie not craving immortality makes more sense to me because of humanity's general desire to live forever in some form or another.

Julia, I think you are on to something here. Pandora may also BE Lilith. Lilith is usually depicted as either a woman with a snake coiled around her or half woman-half snake. I found a website that asked "What do Lilith, Eve and Pandora have in common?" The answer is all were the First Woman in the world according to Jewish and Greek mythology, all were created by a god or gods and all brought tribulation to mankind.

Bethy, that's what I thought also. I had to read the transcript several times, making sure it was 'mortality' and not "immortality". Weren't the Fallen Angels craving mortality (or at least accepting it) to be with the daughters of Man? Pandora said to Abbie, "And yet you fight. You fight like you have something to lose". Fight as in fighting against evil like she has something to lose?

I would love to know what a napalutu is.

To be fair, this is the same show that said that Katrina's weakness was her compassion...as in not wanting her husband to die and leaving her baby in a safe place (that was made dangerous by both their presence) until she returned. That has nothing to do with compassion. That is 100% self interest. Love for others yes, but it was about not losing them. If they were strangers? Sure.

• Love 1

He's quite a dish in that movie. I like Ewan MacGregor, but I couldn't understand throwing Mison over for him. At all.

I'm a bit concerned they're making Ichabod a bit over the top. Part of Tom's appeal is that he's handsome, elegant, and smart, but can be a goof as well. They went a little heavy on the goof in this ep. Hope it's a one-time thing.

I enjoy his comedic touch and it has mostly been used in appropriate situations, but it's been too dominant this season. I want to see more of the Captain. 

• Love 2

To be fair, this is the same show that said that Katrina's weakness was her compassion.

Same show, different squad.  The Sisters Mills and Ichabbie are the cornerstones this season (YAY!!!!) and if there is any MFD, I expect to be handled in a much more adult manner.  Even the dread Busty Ross is doing something -- no WigStand or StruggleSpy she. And Pandora shows they can handle a complex villain well (at least so far...)

• Love 1

The writers may be the same, but can you really say that this is the same show we struggled through last season?  It does have some of the same problems (mostly Busty), but I'd say that the individual episodes are 100 times better and the overall arc is 1000 times better.  Busty, awful as she is, is a vast improvement over SheWhoShallNotBeNamed and Pandora is leagues away from Henry.

• Love 5

Rewatching this tonight, I'm struck by the dialogue between Abbie and Jenny...no fight will ever get between them again; they will have many long years together; etc. Again, I'm afraid they'll kill off Jenny in either the fall finale or season finale.

Please be a fakeout...please be a fakeout...please be a fakeout.... But you better not kill off Joe either! AAAAARRRGGHHH, THIS SHOW!!! (In a good way.)

Edited by Miss Dee
  • Love 1