Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Something Rotten in Denmark

My niece was raised in New England but has lived in London for the past 7 years.  When she comes back home to visit we do notice that she has a bit of a British accent.  She is a very down to earth person and was unaware of this until we pointed it out to her.  We now tease her about it and call her The Queen or Your Majesty.

I went to London for like 2 weeks and came back with an accent.  Although I also went to Texas for a few weeks one summer and ended up sounding like Yosemite Sam.  Luckily I didn't spend much time in Paris or I would have sounded like Pepe Le pew.

• Love 9

1. If i were Marissa my message to Caroline F would have been this -- your sister is my friend, she asked me a question and I answered honestly.  If you don't have a good relationship with your family thats not really my fault and I'm not going to promise you that I'm never, ever, ever going to say something because I want to keep my friendship with your sister.  Having said that I'm sorry that that what I said hurt you because I didn't mean to but this is the absolute last time I apologize, understood?  This is the last time I entertain this conversation, understood?  The next time you mention this I'm leaving the room, understood?  Okay -- glad we're on the same page, since you're coming down with the flu I'm gonna head home.

2. I feel sorry for Julie's investors -- the first thing she did with her money was think of ways to increase her self confidence through a costly ad campaign?  I mean maybe it'll be brilliant, but its costly to do an ad campaign for a small company and it doesn't really pay off.  Marissa's advertisement was free and it connected to her product.  You could see exactly what Marissa was selling.  Unless you're selling body art or really strange looking blonde hair the ad doesn't tell you what Julie is selling.  Not to mention that even if the ad campaign increased demand -- how will that help if she doesn't have a great distribution network?  Or if she doesn't have the infrastructure to make enough product to keep up with increased demand.  Yes, if I saw the ad I would look at it, but I'm not going out of my way to a yoga studio to buy her balls.  Maybe she is looking to boost online sales?

3. WTF is Sophie talking about -- the British girls are coming off as nothing but weak. Caroline S. claims that she moves on from things so fast yet she stewed and stewed over an apology that she had to make some big announcement about "taking it back" the next day.  Caroline F keeps claiming she is "over" whatever Marisa says, and that she accepted her apology, but every other minute she is busy demanding another apology.  And why is Sophie on this trip at all?  Please stop trying to make her happen.

4. Caroline F -- "well I wanted to move to England, so I could just be myself without everyone watching and judging me.....and then I decided to join a reality show where everyone would watch and judge me....."

5. If they want to add another cast member to this show add Luke.  He seems like the most reasonable, down to earth, humorous out of all of them.

6. I think Annabelle's issue with Julie didn't really have anything to do with the fur shopping.  Annabelle said early on that she was having a bad time and that things were bothering her.  It sounded to me like she was looking for a friend to talk to and support her.  She had said something that made me believe she thought that Julie would reach out to her and offer some support and she didn't.  And I think that was where most of her anger came from.  I think Annabelle has been a really good friend to Julie.  She was maybe the only person that went after Julie after the NYE tiff with Caroline.  She listened and sympathized with Julie over how Caroline S had treated her.  She even stood up to Caroline S when she "took back" her apology to Julie.  I could see where Annabelle would have thought that Julie would be there for her. Add to that that Julie seemed to be hanging out with Marissa more I think it made Annabelle feel like the odd man out.  And if she had been ostracized early in life for her learning disabilities I think that she probably feels awful about something like that even though she would never say it.  So, I think that dinner table lesson was just her acting out.

7.  I realize its an unpopular opinion, but I love Naomi Campbell.  Yeah, she is a diva, yeah she can be a bitch.  But she is just so honest about who she is.  And I kinda respect that.  I've never seen her try to paint herself as a particular victim or really try to give any big excuses for her behavior.  I know I have parts of my personality that can go off the rails and I've had to reel it back in.  Its kinda cool to me that she has those areas of her personality too.  And personally, I think she looks absolutely amazing.  Not just for her age, but just period.

• Love 13

Well, this serves to remind me that you can be gorgeous, ridiculously wealthy, descended from royalty, a mother to adorable, healthy children yet still insecure enough to feel the need to hold court and describe how a chef bent over backwards in order to procure an ingredient so that he could prepare your favorite entree.

• Love 15

I enjoyed the episode but it seems that these women are over being forced to hang out with each other but filming goes on, and like Annabelle said, she only went to Denmark because she said she would (code for production bought me a plane ticket and told me to be there and I want to still get paid for this job.) 

I am so over Julie. I didn't think she could get more annoying than in her hyper-sensitive stage, but this butterfly emerging from its chrysalis to get its buttocks painted stage is ten times worse.  Why, why, why can't a woman express her confidence in some other way than exposing herself in such a way?  IMO it was totally stupid move brand wise and dumb art.  For once the perma--sneer look on Juliet's face was appropriate. And poor Luke, he might have thought at one time, business wise, that he might add the future Lady of Sandwich to his coterie but he looked like he was about to retch watching her butt art and I swear I saw the "Hell no" thought bubble coming off of his head.

Then, once she had established herself as edgy Julie confidently announces that she is not going to the fur store -- another opportunity to take a confident stand! Ugh. I thought it was rude, as the Baroness had obviously arranged a field trip there and even if you don't agree with fur I didn't like the way she announced her intentions. It was rude. I could see why Annabelle got pissed off at her then, especially if she was already getting pissed off at Julie in real life. Someone like Annabelle who is able to tell Caroline S to shut the f up is not going to last hanging around with the wet noodle that is Julie. Plus, did not like her flowy sea foam gown at the restaurant.  Very matronly.  Well, I am done bashing her for now. I am sure in ten minutes I'll remember more about her that annoyed me. Oh, one more thing. I guess I will give her credit for doing something to her hair at the airport...seemed to be curled. But is she so dumb that she freaks out when someone gets her bags for her?? ugh.

I'm liking Annabelle this season, maybe even more now that she's acting out a little on this trip. I think she tried with this group, and now her patience is shot.  Caroline S being forced to accept a hug from the Baroness was probably my favorite moment.  I do wonder if her filming this show took her eye off the Gift Library ball. I mean, what could have gone so wrong that the money dried up so fast?  

Although I enjoy what she brings to the show, the Baroness is sounding a little bit like a kindergarten teacher in her delivery. Although I enjoyed Marissa getting ambushed for an apology scene anyway. I'm pretty sure Marissa will NEVER say anything about Caroline F. to ANYONE ever again because she has LITERALLY been tortured by the Baroness for her comments.  I did like that subterranean pub they went to, but what's with the constant chamomile tea Marissa orders? It's London, for gawd's sake, have some Darjeeling or Earl Grey!!

One more thing about Julie. Hasn't she ever gone to a fine restaurant before? Her over the top reaction to her dinner was ridiculous. But then, come to think of it, she probably never eats anything that has real butter in it, or is made to, you know, taste good.

• Love 4

I don't know how Luke runs his business but I'm a makeup artist as well and there are only two people who get my services for free. The first is my mom, of course. The second is a friend who much like Caroline, is my best friend and best client. She is also an heiress and has become somewhat of a C-list model/personality. Using her connections, she has done so much to help me build my clientele and I never charge her for my services. However, sometimes the production foots the bill and all she has to do is request me as a mua or she'll hire me to do makeup on others for an event. I have been whisked off on a trip, like Luke was to Denmark, when she wanted me to do makeup on everyone for the trip. She covered all my costs (hotel, transport, etc) and still paid me my rate.

My guess is that Luke isn't charging Caroline because he gets the free exposure from the show. For a normal mua, to take five days off and go to Denmark only to dote on half a dozen ladies, would be a paid job, all expenses covered. But given that he gets to rub elbows with royalty and show off his skills on television, he probably comp'd it, unless Caroline hired him out for the trip. Seems like something she would do to bring a sidekick. I know Bravo only hires mua/h for the reunions and talking heads.

I don't know why Julie had him to her hair and makeup if they cropped her face out anyway, but I'm guessing she had to hire him for that.

This is informative and very interesting.  I appreciate you sharing your insight!  Thank you.

• Love 1

Another thing that bothered me about Caroline F was her whining about privacy and living her life without being judged, but she goes on an international TV show to share that she and her much younger BF use coconut oil as lube everywhere, inside and out. Bitch, please!

Edited by Booger666
  • Love 12

I thought it was rude, as the Baroness had obviously arranged a field trip there and even if you don't agree with fur I didn't like the way she announced her intentions. It was rude

She just said "I don't wear fur...." and even qualified she didn't care if they did to the other women. When she mentioned going to the coffee shop to the former baroness who "arranged" the trip to the furrier laughed and said they were on holiday and Julie should do what she wanted. No one thought it was rude except for Annabelle and that because Julie didn't wonder why she was acting weird.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 10

She just said "I don't wear fur...." and even qualified she didn't care if they did to the other women. When she mentioned going to the coffee shop to the former baroness who "arranged" the trip to the furrier laughed and said they were on holiday and Julie should do what she wanted. No one thought it was rude except for Annabelle and that because Julie didn't wonder why she was acting weird.

Exactly. Caroline F didn't seem pissed off that Julie didn't want to go into the furrier with the rest of them. I'd rather visit a coffeehouse, but then again, I don't wear fur. They were going to be spending a lot of time together, so I didn't think it was obnoxious for Julie to want to go to the coffeehouse. Wasn't it next door anyway?

I'm not going to re-watch any episodes just to line up scenarios, but I'm kind of lost on the Caroline F/Marissa argument. Marissa's apologized. My issue is: why was Marissa answering anything about Caroline's love life to Caroline's sister? If I had been Marissa, I wouldn't have said anything. I would have made a vague statement about not knowing much and kept it moving.

As someone who's spent years dealing with non-family members thinking it's appropriate to ask personal questions about her other family members, I think it's rude. Caroline's sister shouldn't have said anything, but really Marissa shouldn't have weighed in at all about a family matter. It's obvious that Caroline is, maybe, sort of estranged from certain family members. I don't think dragging a non-family member into that sort of argument is wise. To the non-family member (Marissa), don't take the bait.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 4
My issue is: why was Marissa answering anything about Caroline's love life to Caroline's sister? If I had been Marissa, I wouldn't have said anything. I would have made a vague statement about not knowing much and kept it moving.

My guess is that it went something like this:

Marissa calls Caroline's sister (Sis):  Hi Sis, OMG, you'll never guess who I met yesterday!

Sis:  Who did you meet?

Marissa:  No, really, guess, you'll never guess!

Sis:  Prince Charles?  The Earl of Sandwich? 

Marissa:  I met Caroline's boyfriend!! 

Sis:  Yeah?  How did that happen?

Marissa:  Well, let me tell you....

And then she went on to tell her that he threw her out of a taxi (which seems like it was more that Marissa wouldn't get INTO the taxi and kept standing in the street next to the taxi deciding if she wanted to get in the taxi and the bf kept asking her, and finally shut the door and told he driver to go).  And I'll bet she did it in the usual self-important Marissa way, which means she tried to make herself the star of the story.  And she probably went on about how young he is, since she didn't know the guy was 30.

The sister would have no reason to ask Marissa anything about the boyfriend unless Marissa brought up meeting the boyfriend in the first place.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4

I watched this show for the first time, and I'm not sure what I think.  But here are some of my newbie impressions:

British women are as obsessed with being blonde as they are in the OC.  Even if said blonde hair is a fried, limp, monotone platinum mess.

It took me half the episode to figure out there were two Carolines. I like neither.

Please don't blame my hometown for Juliet's accent.  She's an uptalker.

The British Royal Family is having a difficult time maintaining their castles, how is Caroline's Danish family doing it?

Two day old dead birds are accepted by butchers?  Does he sell this to unsuspecting customers?

Good to know that it's unacceptable to decline a visit to the furrier, but fucking adorable to ooh and ah as you try on the pelts of slaughtered animals.

I really don't want to be rude, and I'm phrasing this in the most non-confrontational polite manner I know:  The brutality and suffering that goes into wearing fur, is in no way, shape, or form comparable to what a woman decides to do medically with her own body. 

• Love 13

Exactly. Caroline F didn't seem pissed off that Julie didn't want to go into the furrier with the rest of them. I'd rather visit a coffeehouse, but then again, I don't wear fur. They were going to be spending a lot of time together, so I didn't think it was obnoxious for Julie to want to go to the coffeehouse. Wasn't it next door anyway?

Really, it was a luxury fur shop, not a slaughterhouse. I thought it was odd for her to isolate herself from the group when they were filming. I thought it was just another annoying attempt on her part to be "herself" and not your typical English lady, of which said attempts are getting on my nerves just as they got on Annabelle's. Also, I think Julie is uncomfortable because she's an economic underdog in that group as well. I know that Caroline said she could do whatever she wanted but that was more a reflection of Caroline's graciousness as a hostess. I thought Julie should have shut up and gone along for the fun of it, and as a way to be nice to Caroline, who had put thought into the planning. Julie could have sat on the couches and talked about her JUBS with Marissa and Juliet.

Also, I think it was this lack of consideration for Caroline's planning that annoyed Annabelle, on top of Annabelle's feeling that Julie didn't seem to be able to get out of her own space cadet head to notice that something was off with her supposedly good friend Annabelle.

Can you tell I am highly annoyed with Julie? 

Edited by TheFinalRose
  • Love 1

Marissa is best friends with Caroline's sister and godmother to Caroline' s sister two children and apparently knows her parents, I don't get what is weird or out of bounds to say she thought Caroline s boyfriend was a dick when she met him. Even Caroline in her convoluted self centered way acknowledged in one of her talking heads that he was kind of a dick to Marissa. Caroline has never disbuted that her sister asked Marissa over brunch or that what Marissa said was a lie she just has said "I have fallen in love with a 30 year old man, you know I have a problem with my family" and trails off.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9

I went to London for like 2 weeks and came back with an accent.  Although I also went to Texas for a few weeks one summer and ended up sounding like Yosemite Sam.  Luckily I didn't spend much time in Paris or I would have sounded like Pepe Le pew.

Wait, so if you watch Juliet or Julie too much, will you sound like those 2?  Ugh, please, for your own sake & those who love you, don't do that!

• Love 2

My guess is that it went something like this:

Marissa calls Caroline's sister (Sis):  Hi Sis, OMG, you'll never guess who I met yesterday!

Sis:  Who did you meet?

Marissa:  No, really, guess, you'll never guess!

Sis:  Prince Charles?  The Earl of Sandwich? 

Marissa:  I met Caroline's boyfriend!! 

Sis:  Yeah?  How did that happen?

Marissa:  Well, let me tell you....

And then she went on to tell her that he threw her out of a taxi (which seems like it was more that Marissa wouldn't get INTO the taxi and kept standing in the street next to the taxi deciding if she wanted to get in the taxi and the bf kept asking her, and finally shut the door and told he driver to go).  And I'll bet she did it in the usual self-important Marissa way, which means she tried to make herself the star of the story.  And she probably went on about how young he is, since she didn't know the guy was 30.

The sister would have no reason to ask Marissa anything about the boyfriend unless Marissa brought up meeting the boyfriend in the first place.

This is what I'm picturing happened. Caroline's sister and Marissa sound a bit doltish to me. I don't understand why either of them is discussing Caroline's love life, unless her love life directly impacts their lives.

• Love 1

Really, it was a luxury fur shop, not a slaughterhouse. I thought it was odd for her to isolate herself from the group when they were filming. I thought it was just another annoying attempt on her part to be "herself" and not your typical English lady, of which said attempts are getting on my nerves just as they got on Annabelle's. Also, I think Julie is uncomfortable because she's an economic underdog in that group as well. I know that Caroline said she could do whatever she wanted but that was more a reflection of Caroline's graciousness as a hostess. I thought Julie should have shut up and gone along for the fun of it, and as a way to be nice to Caroline, who had put thought into the planning. Julie could have sat on the couches and talked about her JUBS with Marissa and Juliet.

Also, I think it was this lack of consideration for Caroline's planning that annoyed Annabelle, on top of Annabelle's feeling that Julie didn't seem to be able to get out of her own space cadet head to notice that something was off with her supposedly good friend Annabelle.

Can you tell I am highly annoyed with Julie? 

Over the fur issue?  I'm annoyed with Annabelle & her ridiculous thoughtlessness.  Oh my goodness, I feel like Marissa with the Baroness, but I'll repeat for the 8 billionth time I have no issue about fur.  But I have several friends/relatives who do.  And the very sight of fur upsets them.  To pressure someone who is against fur to go to a furrier or even a fur exhibit or fashion show is just plain thoughtless.  No, Annabelle, Julie was not being "childish" or "rude", as you routinely sneered to the camera.  She just didn't want to be around fur, nor should she be pressured to do so.  Me?  I'm back to hating Annabelle's guts, but thanks, Annabelle, for reminding me why I couldn't stand you last season.

Even on Housewives shows, they seem to know when to finally drop a trivial issue once an apology is made.  Or do they?  I mean, how many more times is Baroness gonna bring up this crap to Marissa?  Marissa handled herself well.  At this point, if Baroness brings it up again, she'll look like a total loon who needs meds desperately.  Not sure if something else is going on here, with Baroness in particular.  Maybe being part of royalty has stilted her in dealing with people & she's not used to anyone ever commenting about her to her face.

Wait, preview for next week -- Annabelle sneers to the camera (when isn't she sneering this season?) that someone is acting like a "petulant child".  Any guesses who she's referring to?  Ah, well, Juliet hasn't thrown any tantrums in the last few eps, so guess it's time to bring it, eh?

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 2

I realize its an unpopular opinion, but I love Naomi Campbell.  Yeah, she is a diva, yeah she can be a bitch.  But she is just so honest about who she is.  And I kinda respect that.  I've never seen her try to paint herself as a particular victim or really try to give any big excuses for her behavior.  I know I have parts of my personality that can go off the rails and I've had to reel it back in.  Its kinda cool to me that she has those areas of her personality too.  And personally, I think she looks absolutely amazing.  Not just for her age, but just period.

Nope. I love her for the same reasons you mentioned.

• Love 1
6. I think Annabelle's issue with Julie didn't really have anything to do with the fur shopping.  Annabelle said early on that she was having a bad time and that things were bothering her.  It sounded to me like she was looking for a friend to talk to and support her.  She had said something that made me believe she thought that Julie would reach out to her and offer some support and she didn't.  And I think that was where most of her anger came from.

Agreed!  But it seemed like she did not express any of that to Julie, and was just pissed that Julie didn't "notice" and read her mind.  And I have never been a fan of Julie's but I find myself defending her a lot this ep :)  I think she was already annoyed at Annabelle's tardiness at the airport, and so was less inclined to hang out and "notice" things about her.

This is what I'm picturing happened. Caroline's sister and Marissa sound a bit doltish to me. I don't understand why either of them is discussing Caroline's love life, unless her love life directly impacts their lives.

You guys are a lot more mature than me - I love to hear about people's new boyfriends/girlfriends :)  IMO the fault lies with CF's sister - if she is BFF's with Marissa she shouldn't be ratting Marissa out for telling on CF.  I would certainly expect a good friend to tell me if she met my sibling's elusive significant other, but I wouldn't run telling tales to the sibling!

• Love 11

IMO the fault lies with CF's sister - if she is BFF's with Marissa she shouldn't be ratting Marissa out for telling on CF.  I would certainly expect a good friend to tell me if she met my sibling's elusive significant other, but I wouldn't run telling tales to the sibling!

So true! And if Marissa is best friend's with the Baroness's sister, then surely she knows that their relationship is "fragile" as the Baroness describes it so. It's always a good rule of thumb, and a kinder way to go about your life, to not pass on negative comments made about Person A, to Person A. Obviously Caroline's sister couldn't wait to tell Caroline and her parents that Marissa thought Caroline's boyfriend was a dud.  The sis betrayed Marissa and hurt Caroline. Maybe the sister is a trainwreck too, and thus the reason the relationship is fragile.

If I thought there was definitely going to be a third season then the Baroness' sister could join the cast and make more drama.  Sadly, the ratings for this season are bad so we know it's on its last leg and that won't happen.  

• Love 2

Regarding the Annabelle and Julie BS, I thought Julie said that she did notice something was off but didn't know what she could have done. So Julie takes it personally and give A space, and A sulks because Julie isn't all over her asking how she feels since it's the anniversary of McQueen's passing. Communication really isn't that hard, unless you are on a reality show.

Edited by Booger666

Marissa has said repeatedly that Caroline's sister asked her.  The sister knew she was filming with Caroline F.  It seems the relationship between the sister and Caroline is strained.  So the conversation very well could have gone like this:

Sister: I heard Caroline has a new boyfriend...have you met him?

Marissa: Yes.

Sister: So what did you think??

Marissa: Eh, he's not my cup of tea. (She's also said that's all she said to the sister.)

I'm not even sure the whole "getting kicked out of the car" story was recounted.  Honestly, it's the same thing I would have done (and have done) if one friend asked me about another friend's boyfriend!  Marissa genuinely does seem to feel badly about it and has apologized.  Caroline Fleming needs to embrace the spirit of another Northern European blonde princess with a castle and  "LET IT GOOOOO..."

• Love 5

Julie NEEDS to learn how to play reality tv.

True & very interesting, eurekagirl. I'm quite surprised that she's not doing too badly on the PR front, considering how artless she is or seems..

If you register your objection to fur on camera before you take off for your coffee shop, chances are good someone will talk about it on a TH or two. (Annabelle obliged.) I don't know if Julie is all t hat calculating, but it's worth noting that her quiet little revolt will probably go down well with the jub-eating hordes.

On another note, I would give that fur shop a wide berth too, but then, to take up gimmepizzayouoldtroll's excellent point, I would never go near a bird shoot, let alone organize it. 

Edited by nyxy
  • Love 1

I wonder if the reason Julie was expected to shop for fur along with everyone else is because she organized and participated in the hunting weekend. That shooting event should've represented everything Julie stands against. Except I think her veganism is more about diet than empathy towards animals. I'm guessing the real reason she didn't want to go to the furriers was in case she was pressured into buying something she couldn't afford.   

If I'm understanding correctly, Caroline Fleming's family's title and land was bestowed upon them but prior to that they were commoners. Isn't that basically like the De Lessups with their Count and Countess title? Or Prince Lorenzo Borghese of Italy whose family was given the title by a Pope?    

Sophie Stansbury - beautiful hair. Ugly everything else. 

Edited by Feline Goddess
  • Love 2

Fur store: obviously just a producer-arranged promo for a super expensive store. Denmark looks beautiful.

I was beginning to like Annabelle more this year until she launched into that self-righteous group tongue lashing. WTF?

Scoobs, thanks for the Ramona shoutout. Definitely a resemblance there.

Annabelle's plaid coat in the next scene was to die for.

I wonder if they asked CF's sister first to join the cast, since she is Marissa's close friend. She declined so they asked CF?

Probably not, CF has a much higher profile and has been friends with CS since they were in their early 20s.

Eta: how have we not discussed the ridiculous purple fur thing that Marissa was wearing?

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

How annoying and "ugly American" for Julie to be liTerally finishing packing a huge suitcase for a trip and announce she's ready for Norway only to have her teen daughter correct her and remind her that the destination is actually Denmark?

And not only was Julie not embarrassed by this mistake she takes it a step further and says something along the lines of "oh well it's the same place". No they are not the same place, Julie! Get your head out of your JUB balls!

• Love 5

I really wish they had run a comb through Annabel's hair before she walked on the runway. The flyaways were distracting. Also, her interaction with Naomi was so freaking obnoxious. There's really nothing worse than hearing two people who think they are god's gift fan each other's ego.

I think it's very telling that Caroline S's only concern with losing her business is how she is perceived as a failure by the media. Not that she essentially lost the jobs of 48 people. Rania said it best, "...but this isn't funny." Also, her adoration and insistence on constantly wearing that weird sweater with the fringe and the turtleneck is mind-boggling.

Juliet was shitting her pants with joy when she saw the paparazzi. You had no idea Baroness Fleming was so famous? Bitch please. You know that you googled her relentlessly when you found out she was going to be on the cast. She could barely contain her joy. What a social climbing loser.

I don't understand what Annabel's problem was with Julie not wanting to going to the fur shop. I think that fur is disgusting, personally, and I don't think that she was making a big fuss about going someplace else. She didn't do the whole "Fur is murder" thing, and she asked very nicely if it would be OK with the other girls. Maybe Annabel's going to menopause and is taking it out on her friends. God knows she wouldn't talk like that to NAOMI, although she might do well with that "don't give into your anger" shit she was talking about during dinner.

• Love 5

Another thing that bothered me about Caroline F was her whining about privacy and living her life without being judged, but she goes on an international TV show to share that she and her much younger BF use coconut oil as lube everywhere, inside and out. Bitch, please!

She's a whack-job for sure.

That said, Marissa annoys the fuck out of me this season.  Is she basing her dislike of a boyfriend because the guy pushed her out of a limo because of her rude comments to his girlfriend?  Did she expect him to greet her with open arms?

I feel like Marissa has achieved a level of success and her place in British society and now she's so completely full of herwself.

On Julie, no wonder they did the campaign the way they did.  Her ass is the only attractive thing about her.

• Love 3
Caroline F wants Marissa to beg or what? And I'm tired of her saying how small and exclusive her world is.

Except presumably Caroline F’s sister is equal to her in rank of nobility, and Marissa is a solid member of HER small world (friend, godmother to children, etc.).  So what does Caroline F have that Marissa needs – her gig as Danish Next Top Model host?  If Marissa really wants to screw with her she should call one of her offerings “Danish Next Top Dog.” 

If I'm understanding correctly, Caroline Fleming's family's title and land was bestowed upon them but prior to that they were commoners. Isn't that basically like the De Lessups with their Count and Countess title?

Technically speaking, all titles and land are bestowed on people at some point.  The difference between a 700 year old title bestowed on a warrior for saving the kingdom in a country that still has a monarch and a 100 year old title bestowed to a civil servant by a country that does not is the main difference. 

• Love 4

That said, Marissa annoys the fuck out of me this season. Is she basing her dislike of a boyfriend because the guy pushed her out of a limo because of her rude comments to his girlfriend? Did she expect him to greet her with open arms?

The taxi incident happened before Marissa told her BFF/CF sister and was way before the cougar incident, it was at Sophie bday. Everyone acknowledges that is when it happened so Marissa hadn't even said her "jokingly" rude remarks when she met him.

Edited by biakbiak

I think she's vegan for health/"yoga cool" reasons.  I'm guessing that she's not much of a "shopper" anyway, and having it be fur just made it slightly less interesting.  When I'm on vacation with a group of ladies and "shopping time" begins, I'm usually part of the group hitting the pub instead, so I can relate!

Not to read a whole lot into this, but Caroline F. just oh so casually dropped something like $50,000 on a fur coat and walked out of the store with it on. Julie hasn't got those kinds of funds. Maybe she didn't want to be embarrassed and made to feel like a poor relation ('Save Mapperton'). Maybe she has philosophical objections to wearing fur. Maybe she's not into shopping. Whatever the reason, the one person who should have been offended by her begging off--Caroline F.--clearly was not.

On one hand, the Brits call the Americans pushy. On the other, Annabelle apparently expects Julie to read her mind. Julie thinks she's giving her space to work out whatever it is that's bothering her. Annabelle, if you expect Julie to ask you what's wrong, use your words. It's what adults do.

• Love 2

The taxi incident happened before Marissa told her BFF/CF sister and was way before the cougar incident, it was at Sophie bday. Everyone acknowledges that is when it happened so Marissa hadn't even said her "jokingly" rude remarks when she met him.

Ah, thank you.  I missed that part.  I stand corrected on that.  Marissa (except for the nasty comments) was in the right.  I still think she's gotten awfully full of herself though.

• Love 3

Not to read a whole lot into this, but Caroline F. just oh so casually dropped something like $50,000 on a fur coat and walked out of the store with it on. Julie hasn't got those kinds of funds. Maybe she didn't want to be embarrassed and made to feel like a poor relation ('Save Mapperton'). Maybe she has philosophical objections to wearing fur. Maybe she's not into shopping. Whatever the reason, the one person who should have been offended by her begging off--Caroline F.--clearly was not.

On one hand, the Brits call the Americans pushy. On the other, Annabelle apparently expects Julie to read her mind. Julie thinks she's giving her space to work out whatever it is that's bothering her. Annabelle, if you expect Julie to ask you what's wrong, use your words. It's what adults do.

I don't think its what British adults do.  Stiff upper lip and the whole bit.  I think whenever two people enter into a friendship, its because the friend brings something to the friendship.  With Annabelle and Julie -- I think Annabelle brought her ability to "protect" Julie to the friendship.  She was the first to go after Julie when Julie was crying on NYE.  She was the only one to tell Caroline S. that she was wrong for "retracting" her apology to Julie.  There wasn't another soul in the room willing to stand up to Caroline S. on Julie's behalf.  Annabelle has supported Julie, and didn't require that Julie specifically ask for, or request that support.  Annabelle was the first one to invite Julie out to London society events.  The others hadn't made much of an effort to seek out and invite Julie to these events one on one.  

I think that Annabelle perceived that the value in Julie's friendship would be that she would get some benefit from having an "extra sensitive friend."  In that an "extra sensitive friend" would be a sensitive enough person to pick up on Annabelle having a difficult time and would be a person who would see through the "stiff upper lip" and be supportive and ask her what was wrong and listen and be sympathetic to her.  Instead she got Julie who didn't seem to really give two shits about what was wrong with Annabelle even though she put out all the signs of a friend who needed a shoulder to cry on.

To me, a good friendship is a give and take.   Julie has taken and taken from her friendship from Annabelle, but has given nothing in return.  

• Love 1

With Annabelle and Julie -- I think Annabelle brought her ability to "protect" Julie to the friendship.  She was the first to go after Julie when Julie was crying on NYE.  She was the only one to tell Caroline S. that she was wrong for "retracting" her apology to Julie.  There wasn't another soul in the room willing to stand up to Caroline S. on Julie's behalf.  Annabelle has supported Julie, and didn't require that Julie specifically ask for, or request that support.  Annabelle was the first one to invite Julie out to London society events.  The others hadn't made much of an effort to seek out and invite Julie to these events one on one.

Annabelle said that Julie was the one person who actually continued to come around and help her when she was recovering from her horse fall, and that meant a lot to Annabelle. So this season, I think we have seen Annabelle treating Julie as a real friend in return...sticking up for her, bringing her out in society, etc. To me, it showed that Annabelle valued Julie, and her friendship. What we don't know is whether or not there was more to Annabelle's mood than what we saw on tv. Maybe she had spoken to Julie and said she was feeling down, the trip was an obligation to her, etc., etc., and maybe the annoyance we saw was real because Julie knew Annabelle was down but ignored it.  

I'm giving Annabelle the benefit of the doubt on this one here, because I believe she has demonstrated her loyalty to Julie in many ways throughout this season. And her demonstrated loyalty was in real-time events, when Julie needed her she was there.  She's been very reasonable in her support of Julie, so I imagine that same reasonableness is going to come into play in feeling disappointment with her as well.  

• Love 6

That marriage and especially divorce sounds like a shit show. It's also clear that Caroline Fleming has wanted to be famous for a long time. However, who sends a 6 year old to boarding school? That's a first grader. 10 years old? Maybe. 12 -13 years old? Reasonable and normal. 6 is ridiculous. You barely even know your child at that age.

• Love 4

Finally saw this episode.

Wow. CarolineF is as far up her own butt as CarolineS. I wanted to like her, got an initial kick out of her quirky demeanor but now it all just looks like an act. And she's just another dreary self-involved ass. Like CarolineS.

That was one amazing scene of the amazing Naomi and Annabelle and their amazing ability to walk!! Amazing!

The best thing about this show is the scenery.

And Jules still needs meds, stat.

• Love 2

She was also in Empire last season.

Tyra Banks is going to be on blackish this season. I'm sure Naomi's new career trajectory will cause Tyra to shed big crocodile tears about how she was shut out: by both the high school friends and by Hollywood.

• Love 1

Tyra Banks is going to be on blackish this season. I'm sure Naomi's new career trajectory will cause Tyra to shed big crocodile tears about how she was shut out: by both the high school friends and by Hollywood.

I think Tyra is a phony baloney, so....I sure hope so.

Over the fur issue?  I'm annoyed with Annabelle & her ridiculous thoughtlessness.  Oh my goodness, I feel like Marissa with the Baroness, but I'll repeat for the 8 billionth time I have no issue about fur.  But I have several friends/relatives who do.  And the very sight of fur upsets them.  To pressure someone who is against fur to go to a furrier or even a fur exhibit or fashion show is just plain thoughtless.  No, Annabelle, Julie was not being "childish" or "rude", as you routinely sneered to the camera.  She just didn't want to be around fur, nor should she be pressured to do so.  Me?  I'm back to hating Annabelle's guts, but thanks, Annabelle, for reminding me why I couldn't stand you last season.

So true this!

I´m so anti-fur I can´t begin to describe it, and basically I just can´t stand seeing or thinking about all the cruelty that goes into the fur industry. I think it´s beyond barbaric and I would use the hate word when it comes to people that support it... I myself would never go with my friends into a business of death like that, not even for money, and I´d probably faint if someone I knew was just casually gonna go look at furs and wanted me to come with, it would be a friendship deal-breaker (I´m still nice to all people who aren´t child-molesters, even fur owners, it´s their choice to make just like this view is my choice). Having said that, I also love these types of Bravo shows and Made in Chelsea where most of the people wear furs like it´s no big deal :( 

I was liking Caroline F somewhat and then she has to be a fur-hag, so sad. I wanted Joanna Krupa to show up and start throwing paint around that god-awful shop of horrors. I was a little happy about Julie not going in there with them but she had to host that disgusting shooting trip in the last episode so she´s not in my good graces yet.

Edited by halkatla

Yeah, I'm still trying to understand how Julie can be a vegan (right? I think that's what I read. Definitely a vegetarian) and host that shooTing weekend. I get that shooTing is a big deal for the aristos but stand by your convictions, woman. She had no interest in going to the fur shop (understandable) but gleefully put on a shooTing weekend?

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm still trying to understand how Julie can be a vegan (right? I think that's what I read. Definitely a vegetarian) and host that shooTing weekend. I get that shooTing is a big deal for the aristos but stand by your convictions, woman. She had no interest in going to the fur shop (understandable) but gleefully put on a shooTing weekend?

Didn't she take the girls skeet or clay pigeon shooting at Mapperton last season?  I wonder why the live targets this yr?  Is it really that big a thing?  Annabelle seemed to LOVE shooting in both situations IIRC.  She didn't voice a preference that I recall.  I still don't understand why she held the event at a different location and not at Mapperton again.  If it's in such dire financial straits, why not show it off a bit more?  If nothing else, it should result in an increase in American tourist visitors.

Didn't she take the girls skeet or clay pigeon shooting at Mapperton last season?  I wonder why the live targets this yr?  Is it really that big a thing?  Annabelle seemed to LOVE shooting in both situations IIRC.  She didn't voice a preference that I recall.  I still don't understand why she held the event at a different location and not at Mapperton again.  If it's in such dire financial straits, why not show it off a bit more?  If nothing else, it should result in an increase in American tourist visitors.

The funny thing about this season is that we have barely seen Mapperton, but we have seen estates that look much, much better.  It was like season 2 was a running advertisement for every stately home other than Mapperton.  Bizarre!  I would have thought, given the fact that it needs saving, Julie would have pushed for more scenes to be filmed at Mapperton.  

• Love 2