Type keyword(s) to search

Globally Speaking: International Programming Aka Non-US Shows

• Start Topic

One thing I like about UK tv is that they'll do miniseries and it's just not done enough here in the USA. Anyone remember Red Riding? That was good. Everything has to be a thing on USA tv. The cable networks have good creative content, and but the broadcast networks are still pumping out the same drivel that they've been doing for like 20--25 years now.  

Similarly, I just watched Escape Artist with David Tennant. It was not what I was expected and it was pretty bad ass. 

• Love 1

Hm.  I was thinking that Gracepoint was going to be a limited series because Broadchurch, which it is based on, was, but then I just read that David Tennant is in the process of filming season two of Broadchurch.

• Love 1
(edited)

I adored Whitechapel, it was such a good cop show. ITV sucks for not recommissioning a 5th series. I have watched it through 3 times now and I always find something new in every rewatch. Also, I'm such a shipper for Chandler/Kent that it's embarrassing. 

Edited by DiamondDoll
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'll throw in plugs for a lot of South Korean "variety" (read: "reality") shows. Almost all of them are available on DramaFever, which is a sub-Hulu dedicated to Korean programs and movies, with some shows from other parts of Asia and some Spanish-language programs. And everything is subtitled; some of the Korean dramas have Spanish subtitles in addition to English. They've even got a list of dramas they recommend for people just getting into Korean programs.

Adding to the list of Korean variety show: Superman is Back. Basically, male celebrities take care of their children for 2 days without any help. Bonus: The kids are cutie.

Edited by Chrissytd
The first is The Genius Game.[snip]There's been 2 seasons of this show, with hopes of a third to come.

The third season is now here.  And they've changed the rules.  In the Death Matches (the one vs. one matches that decide who is eliminated), the winner no longer gets their opponent's garnets.  Instead, they receive a Black Garnet.  Any player that is going into a Death Match can spend 3 Black Garnets to attempt a Black Mission.  If they succeed at that mission, they are out of the Death Match and can select their replacement.  So it's a little like Big Brother's Veto, but it won't be a regular event, and there's a price to be paid.

So far, there's only been the one episode, so there's no telling how this new twist will play out.  It'll be at least 3 more episodes before it comes into play.

Spiral is back on MHz Networks at 9:00pm on Tuesdays.  

Annika Bengtzon Crime Reporter is back on Thursdays at 9pm

And Commissario Brunetti is back on Fridays at 9pm

All three programs repeat at midnight and they usually stream it simultaneously with broadcast

There's a dark comedy show called "Siblings" in the UK that I fell in love with over the summer. It stars a brother and sister who live together and are obliviously sociopathic in every aspect of their lives, to hilarious results. It's only 6 episodes long (though it got renewed for next year) and it reminds me of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

I have to check out this MHz network. Thanks for all the recommendations.

I just signed on for Acorn TV which you can either watch on your computer, or stream with Roku on your regular TV, or catch on a smart TV (not sure about this last option). I'm watching it on my computer. I wish I'd thought to do this earlier. It has all four sets of Vera, which I loved after watching Set 1 on Netflix.

About Ripper Street: I think Portia might have asked about it? I thought it was great till about the last two episodes of season One. Then made the mistake of spoiling myself not about the mysteries but about the relationships & characters and wasn't too thrilled with where they were going with a couple. So then I cooled off it for a while. But I will go back to it. It's a little gory at times but I absolutely love the protagonist (he played Darcy in the awful Kiera Knightley version of Pride &Prejudice, and I thought he was the only good thing in it). The stories are complex and well-told. It's dark, sordid and bleak, etc, but  gripping.

Oh, and I loved spiral & am waiting with bated breath for season 2 of The Returned!

In today's episode of How Was This Allowed To Happen?, the German game show Schlag den Raab (which airs live a few times a year and is known to always, always run over four hours long due to its format and the need to justify its exorbitant prize) lasted six hours this past weekend. The entire last hour ended with this game, which apparently was not tested at all before they put it on television at 1am local time.

Damn, I miss MHz networks.  The International Mystery was must-watch tv.  Literally.  It's all captioned in English.

I miss miss miss Freddy and Max on Tatort Cologne.  And if I ever make it there (as if), I'm having a bratwurst at that kiosk...

If you get MHz, try any of these out (Tatort is koolest!  Tatort has been broadcasting since 1970 - over 900 episodes!).

• Love 1

I've been binging the French show Engrenages (Spiral internationally) and it's absolutely riveting. I hope there will be a sixth season. Wentworth is another favorite, and Bron (the original Swedish/Danish The Bridge).

As for British comedy, one of my very favorite type of television, Up the Women just finished its second season. A pretty great, intimate stage show (it's recorded live and only has one set) about suffragettes who didn't quite make it to the frontline. With Jessica Hynes from Spaced and Rebecca Front from The Thick of It among others. Catastrophe had a great, funny first season subverting many a rom com cliche.

And I'm looking forward to No Offence from the creator of Shameless, a black comedy about cops starring Joanna Scanlan, Elaine Cassidy and Alexandra Roach, all of whom I'm a fan of.

Edited by joelene

A very strong recommendation for "Love/Hate" which is an Irish TV show. The first three seasons are on Hulu. It's about the criminal underworld in Dublin, in the same vein as "The Wire" and "The Sopranos." The writing is top notch, acting is fantastic.

Two Portuguese soap operas that I would highly recommend:  O Beijo do Escorpiao ("Kiss of the Scorpion") and Os Nossos Dias ("Our Days").  Both of them have excerpts on YouTube (with subtitles available in several languages, including English). 

In particular, the focus in  the segments of each show on YouTube is on one particular storyline involving a gay male couple (Paulo and Miguel on Escorpiao and Xavier and David on Dias) and the story of that couple's relationship from the beginning.  Both storylines are very well written and acted (the uber-hot Duarte Gomes plays both David and Miguel), and it's especially relevant in today's world in terms of showing how far acceptance of gay couples has come.

(edited)

MHz Networks are in the process of debuting a subscription streaming only service.  As a result, the International Mystery schedule is somewhat disrupted and is all over the map in terms of what they are showing, as everything is currently a sneak peak of stuff that will be on the streaming service called MHz Choice:

MHz CHOICE PREVIEW (April 26th – May 8th)

A special sneak preview of some of the new series and episodes which will premiere exclusively on MHz Choice, our new subscription service launching May 3rd. 

Paris – Episode 1

Airdate: Friday May 1st

Airtime: 9:00 PM ET/PT

PREMIERE! During a 24-hour period, the lives of diverse characters from a cross-section of Parisian society intersect each other. Among them: government officials, middle-class workers, a thief and a transgender singer. They're all interconnected whether they know it or not. By the end of the 24 hours the sun is rising over Paris again and each character will have reached a turning point in their lives. Directed by Gilles Banier, 2014. In French with English subtitles. 

Paris – Episode 2

Airdate: Friday May 1st

Airtime: 10:00 PM ET/PT

PREMIERE! The Prime Minister tries to find his missing son who he fears may be kidnapped. An estranged transgender daughter of transportation officials shows up in attempt to end a potentially violent standoff. Directed by Gilles Bannier, 2014. In French with English subtitles. 

Donna Leon’s Commissario Brunetti – Fatal Remedies

Airdate: Saturday May 2nd

Airtime: 3:00 PM ET

Commissario Brunetti (Joachim Król) faces a case close to home when, in the middle of a protest, his wife Paola throws a stone into the window of a travel agency that allegedly supports the sex trade. The action comes back to haunt her when the owner of the agency is found dead, alongside an anonymous letter denouncing pedophilia. Stricken with guilt, Paola feels partly responsible and it’s up to Brunetti to solve the murder. Directed by Sigi Rothemund, 2002. In German with English subtitles.

Tatort: Cologne – Welcome To Cologne

Airdate: Saturday May 2nd

After a Miami drug bust goes sour, German cop Max Ballauf is sent home to be Cologne's homicide chief, and is immediately confronted with partner Freddy Schenk's professional jealousy - and the dead body of a former colleague. Directed by Kaspar Heidelbach, 1997. In German with English subtitles.

Don Matteo – That Was My Daughter

Airdate: Sunday May 3rd

Airtime: 3:00 PM ET

While Don Matteo investigates the attempted murder of an antiques dealer, he finds himself taking care of Laura, a rebellious adolescent who is pregnant and currently staying at the rectory. Meanwhile Andrea Conti, an attractive but ruthless prosecutor, arrives at the station. Directed by Giulio Base, 2011. In Italian with English subtitles. 

The Churchmen – Season One, Episode 1

Airtime: 4:00 PM ET

Five young men from vastly different backgrounds arrive at Paris' historic Capuchin Seminary to begin their training for the Catholic priesthood. Beyond learning how to be priests, their task is to examine their private motivations and call to the ministry. They also have to find their way through an aging institution fraught with its own weaknesses, where discord between Father Fromenger, the head of the seminary and the ambitious Bishop Roman could rock the strongest faith. 2012. In French with English subtitles. 

Kabul Kitchen - The Girl With The Big Suitcase

The hit French comedy makes its U.S. debut! Afghanistan, 2005. In the middle of a war-torn country and a repressive fundamentalist culture, Jacky runs the Kabul Kitchen, a cafe where all the expats come to eat, drink and enjoy a swimming pool in the heart of Kabul. As the series begins, a surprise visitor also arrives. She's Jacky's daughter, she's a humanitarian aid worker and, despite Jacky's protests, she's moving in! Directed by Jean-Patrick Benes & Allan Mauduit, 2012. In French with English subtitles. 

A French Village – The Landing

Airtime: 9:30 PM ET/PT

Acclaimed drama about the German occupation of France during World War II and its effects on the inhabitants of Villeneuve, a small village in Jura. In the series premiere, a doctor oversees the birth of a child. A married businessman falls in love with another woman. A teacher takes her class for a walk along the serene countryside. All of them blissfully unaware of the shadow of occupation looming large on the horizon. Starring Thierry Godard and Audrey Fleurot (Spiral). Directed by Phillipe Triboit, 2009. In French with English subtitles. 

Camilla Läckberg’s Fjällbacka Murders – The Sea Gives, The Sea Takes

Airtime: 10:30 PM ET/PT

Erica is a successful crime novelist who has recently moved to the beautiful fishing village of Fjällbacka, on the dramatic and picturesque Atlantic coast of Sweden, with her policeman husband and three children. But simmering beneath her hometown’s serene beauty lie dark, hidden secrets, twisted desires and deceit waiting to erupt into the ultimate sin - murder. Based on the international bestselling mysteries by Camilla Läckberg. Directed by Marcus Olsson, 2013. In Swedish with English subtitles.

Don Matteo – That Was My Daughter

Airdate: Monday May 4th

While Don Matteo investigates the attempted murder of an antiques dealer, he finds himself taking care of Laura, a rebellious adolescent who is pregnant and currently staying at the rectory. Meanwhile Andrea Conti, an attractive but ruthless prosecutor, arrives at the station. Directed by Giulio Base, 2011. In Italian with English subtitles. 

The Churchmen – Season One, Episode 1

Airdate: Monday May 4th

Five young men from vastly different backgrounds arrive at Paris' historic Capuchin Seminary to begin their training for the Catholic priesthood. Beyond learning how to be priests, their task is to examine their private motivations and call to the ministry. They also have to find their way through an aging institution fraught with its own weaknesses, where discord between Father Fromenger, the head of the seminary and the ambitious Bishop Roman could rock the strongest faith. 2012. In French with English subtitles. 

Don Matteo – Rave Party

Airdate: Tuesday May 5th

A girl dies at a rave after taking bad drugs. While Don Matteo and the police investigate, the Marshal tries to prevent his daughter Patrizia from spending a romantic weekend alone with Captain Tommasi. Directed by Giulio Base, 2011. In Italian with English subtitles. 

Don Matteo – Proof of Love

Airdate: Tuesday May 5th

After a young woman dies in labor, the woman’s gynecologist is killed. Meanwhile, the Captain is preparing for a boxing match and must choose a coach – either the ready and willing Marshal or the new prosecutor, Andrea Conti. Directed by Giulio Base, 2011. In Italian with English subtitles. 

Medicine Man – Episode 1

Airdate: Wednesday May 6th

Swedish kidnapping drama in eight parts. Mikael Persbrandt (Beck, Hamilton) stars as Martin Holst, the work-obsessed CEO of a pharmaceutical company. When his son is abducted and used as a pawn against him, Martin loses control not only over his family and his company, but his whole life. To what lengths will he go to get them back? Directed by Kjell Sundvall and Daniel Lind Lagerlöf, 2004. In Swedish with English subtitles. 

Talisman – Episode 1

From international bestselling authors Henning Mankell (Wallander) and Jan Guillou (Hamilton, Enemy's Enemy) comes this quirky eight-part drama. Ex-cop Wallton is hired to find an ancient, mystic Arabian talisman – a necklace which carries a deadly curse. The talisman is said to bring terminal bad luck to anyone who unlawfully acquires it, and when bodies begin piling up Wallton realizes that he faces a more difficult task than he originally thought. Starring Per Graffman as Wallton, Henning Mankell and Jan Guillou as themselves and Lennart Jähkel as Kurt Wallander. Directed by Christjan Wegner and Erik Leijonborg, 2001. In Swedish with English subtitles. 

Codename Hunter – Season One, Episode 1

Airtime: 11:00 PM ET/PT

The brutal hijacking of a prison transport leads to the creation of a multi-national team of undercover operatives with extraordinary powers. Codename: Hunter. Directed by Jarl Emsell Larsen, 2006. In Norwegian with English subtitles. 

Homicide Unit Istanbul – Last Stop Istanbul

Airdate: Thursday May 7th

Inspector Mehmet Ozakin is a by-the-book Turkish cop in Istanbul, constantly fighting a battle on two fronts: against the criminals in the city of 15 million on the one hand, and against the bureaucratic laziness of his fellow countrymen on the other. He always manages to solve his cases with Mediterranean charm, savoir-faire and his trusty oddball sidekick Mustafa, who suffers from a seriously domineering mother and a case of Oedipal insecurity. Together, the unlikely duo chase down killers and crooks amid the stunning scenery of 2,000-year old Constantinople. Directed by Michael Steinke, 2008. In German with English subtitles. 

Paris – Episode 1

Airdate: Friday May 8th

During a 24-hour period, the lives of diverse characters from a cross-section of Parisian society intersect each other. Among them: government officials, middle-class workers, a thief and a transgender singer. They're all interconnected whether they know it or not. By the end of the 24 hours the sun is rising over Paris again and each character will have reached a turning point in their lives. Directed by Gilles Banier, 2014. In French with English subtitles. 

Paris – Episode 2

Airdate: Friday May 8th

The Prime Minister tries to find his missing son who he fears may be kidnapped. An estranged transgender daughter of transportation officials shows up in attempt to end a potentially violent standoff. Directed by Gilles Bannier, 2014. In French with English subtitles.

Edited by The Crazed Spruce
Added paragraphs to break up the wall of text
  • Love 1

Adding my love for Murdoch Mysteries and A Place to Call Home on Acorn TV. I'm so glad to hear a third season of A Place to Call Home is in production and that Acorn will be showing the 8th series of Murdoch Mysteries soon.

I'm glad I found A Place to Call Home before I read the reviews that called it the Australian Downton Abbey because that would have turned me right off. I've got zero interest in nobility. The characters in Home don't seem to be all that hung up on their places in society with one exception, and that one tends to drive some interesting drama. I'm looking forward to how this show manages to restart itself after its cancellation and reprieve.

Since I enjoyed the 3 seasons of The Almighty Johnsons after discovering it on SyFy, I started checking out other shows from New Zealand. I recently finished the 6 seasons of Outrageous Fortune (which ran in NZ from 2005 - 2010), a Shameless-style dramedy centered on a dysfunctional family with a rocky relationship with morality and the law. Among the uniformly excellent cast is Grant Bowler as the family patriarch, as well as Banshee's Antony Starr playing twins - Jethro, a shady lawyer, and Van, a sweet but dim-witted slacker. The show can be a bit tough to track down in the U.S., but I found it well worth the effort.

The most recent series I've been enjoying is Step Dave. The first season ran in 2014, and the second season began last week. The show has a fairly standard setup - 24 year old hot slacker bartender falls in love with a woman 15 years his senior with 3 kids, and decides to work on growing up and fulfilling his role in their new family. The cast is solid, the characters are interesting, and the writing so far is a nice blend of comedy, romance and family drama. The main selling point for me, though is Jono Kenyon, who plays the title character. He brings a wonderfully earnest sensibility to Dave, as well as an innate sexiness and likeability without the smarminess/smugness that could easily overtake the role. It also helps (as far as I'm concerned) that he's incredibly tall (6 foot 6), quite handsome, very well put together, and apparently has no issues with doing underwear and nude scenes. I wouldn't be surprised to see his career take off if the right folks in Hollywood become aware of him.

• Love 2

Nice to see that I'm not the only one here watching Step Dave. As a straight guy I'm not as interested in naked or almost naked Dave, but I see you've also listed all the reasons why I like the show. And at least on this show the nudity doesn't seem gratuitous like on American premium channels where the thought process often seems to go something like this: "We haven't met HBO's nudity quota so let's add some naked women to this scene."

And since we're talking about New Zealand, have you watched the new Australian series 800 Words? It just aired the first episode. It's about a man who moves with his two teenage kids from Sidney to a small town in New Zealand after the death of his wife. That premise sounds similar to Everwood which I liked, so I was thinking of checking it out when I have some free time.

• Love 1

Glad to hear I'm not the only one enjoying Step Dave - I really liked this week's episode, and the way that the potential ménage à trois was handled in a non-judgemental adult manner. I also especially enjoyed the writing and execution of the "grandma unwittingly becomes an online video star" storyline. It seems I become more impressed with the show and the cast each week.

I hadn't heard of 800 Words, but I'll definitely track it down and check it out too. I was also a fan of Everwood, and 800 Words does sound like a similar set-up. Is it an Aussie show that's being filmed in NZ, or is it a joint production?

• Love 1

Just finished watching the first episode of 800 Words - I was a bit worried at the start when the main character, while narrating, looked at the camera and broke the fourth wall (I'm not a fan of that method of storytelling.) But I stuck with it, and quickly got drawn into the storyline of the family beginning their new adventure. By the time it ended, I was looking forward to getting to know more about them and the others in their new town. Thanks for the heads up paulvdb!

• Love 1

I also watched it during the weekend and am looking forward to watching the next episode. Pilot episodes are often setups for the story and not representative for the series, so I'll always wait until the third episodes before I commit to watching at least the complete first season of a new show.

I am watching this terrific political series called "Borgen" right now. I am 3 episodes in. So good.

Borgen is great and it keeps being so for its entire run.

The first episode of London Spy was terrific.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 1

I watched the first episode of London Spy but I haven't gone any further since I found out it was a true story.

Previously has forums for many new international shows now, so I have to keep checking. 

I also love Step Dave.  There was an Australian series called East of Everything which is up on youtube that was also good.

The UK has many murder mystery type short series.  A new one is called "Murder".

Another vote for Corner Gas.  I discovered it while vacationing in Newfoundland, and just love it.  I ended up buying most of it on DVD from Amazon.ca.  Not only is it brilliant, but it's even better viewing without commercials that way.

I purchased the DVD of the Corner Gas movie through their Kickstarter but haven't seen it yet.  I'd be willing to bet you can get it through Amazon.ca though.

• Love 2

Some of the best recent shows, mostly crime dramas with 6 episodes or less, from the UK were:

Banished, with Russell Tovey.  I thought there was a forum for that,  but I guess not..

Clean Break, with Damien Molony

From Darkness, with Anne-Marie Duff

Life in Squares, with Rupert Penry-Jones and James Norton in one role at different ages.

Midwinter of the Spirit, with David Threlfall

River, and Unforgotten,  with Nicola Walker.  Unforgotten has an impressive cast.

For a comedy, I particularly like Crashing, with Jonathan Bailey.

Some others that were more middling to me:

And Then There Were None(Agatha Christie), and Cuffs (police in Brighton)

From Australia, there was another Utopia , a comedy. 

There is also a show called Versailles, which is excellent.  It's a French production, in English, with a British actor playing the lead, George Blagden, who is Athelstan in Vikings

Occupied, a Norwegian French production about the Russians invading Norway.

The Protectors, about the Danish Police Intelligence Unit.

Spin, a French political drama. 

Sometimes shows end up having different names when translated.

Edited by atomationage

Trapped was an excellent Icelandic crime-mystery-whodunnit. It just finished its 10-episode run in the UK.

Thirteen is also a great British crime drama currently airing, about Ivy Muxom who was kidnapped when she was 13 and at 26 y/o, after 13 years, escapes and reunites with her family, with the kidnapper still at large. But is everything as it seems? Dun dun dun... Three out of five episodes have aired.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 1

Thanks for the recommendation for Thirteen. 

I have the episodes of Trapped, but won't watch them for a while.   I have enough programming to last for years.

Follow the Money looks interesting, from Denmark.  It's amazing how much good work they're doing there. 

Thicker Than Water is Swedish, I guess.

There's a period drama from the UK called Doctor Thorne,   Ian McShane is in it.

There's one from Scotland called Stag, which looks pretty bad so far, supposedly a comedy.

My recommendations that others haven't already suggested include Janet King from Australia, Dicte and Rita from Denmark, Witnesses from France, 1992 from Italy, and The Time in Between from Spain.

• Love 1

I second Witnesses, from France. 

Janet King looks a lot like Crownies.  I watched the first episode of that, and didn't like it. 

If you have a Hulu subscription, Upper Middle Bogan is available there, but they call it Bess of Both Worlds instead.  It's an Australian  comedy with Patrick Brammall and Michala Banas (McLeods).  Brammall was in an episode of Life in Pieces this year.  He's been in many series, including playing a young Rupert Murdoch, which I didn't like.   

This Doctor Thorne series has some nice interactions between Ian McShane and Tom Hollander, also Rebecca Front.  McShane's character is similar to Swedgin in Deadwood.

Edited by atomationage

I second Witnesses, from France. 

Janet King looks a lot like Crownies.  I watched the first episode of that, and didn't like it. 

It's a spinoff from Crownies with most of the same characters.

• Love 1

I didn't recognize Marta Dusselodorp with the periwig in Janet King.   She was/is the lead in A Place To Call Home.  There was some kind of controversy where they re-did an episode because they changed their mind about another season.  I haven't watched all those yet. 

The show stars Marta Dusseldorp, who has proved herself time and again to be one of Australia’s favorite actresses, her AACTA Award (the Australian equivalent to the American Oscars) is just one of her many acting accolades.

Continue reading: http://waitwith.us/a-place-to-call-home-season-4-4742/

I didn't recognize Marta Dusselodorp with the periwig in Janet King.   She was/is the lead in A Place To Call Home.  There was some kind of controversy where they re-did an episode because they changed their mind about another season.  I haven't watched all those yet. 

I've been watching A Place to Call Home on Acorn. Love it. The show got canceled after two seasons, but in time for them to insert scenes into the finale that wrapped up some major storylines. Fan outcry saved the show for another two (yay!) seasons though, so new scenes that contained cliffhangers for the upcoming season were shot. Since I'm watching on Acorn I missed all that happening in real time; I'm just glad for the two extra seasons.

ETA: Season 3 is awesome.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 2

The problem I have with international shows is that so many have episodes that are a full hour long.  I have to set aside the time to watch that.  As with so many people nowadays, I like to binge, and full hour episodes make that difficult.  I watched two episodes of Thirteen yesterday.   That hardly puts any dent in my backlog of shows.

Edited by atomationage

There's a new one from the UK called The A Word with Christopher Eccleston, Morven Christie from Grantchester, and Greg McHugh from Fresh Meat, looking very different.:

The Hughes family work and love and fight like every other family. Then, their youngest son is diagnosed with autism and they don't feel like every other family anymore.

It's pretty upbeat, with some great scenery.  Eccleston is the grandfather, who seems to be taking charge.

There is a forum for Houdini and Doyle with Stephen Mangan and US actor Michael Weston. 

I guess there's no forum for Fresh Meat.

Edited by atomationage
(edited)

From today's newspaper:

Doctor Thorne will be available May 20 via Amazon Prime:

Thirteen will be available June 23 on BBC America:

Marcella will be available July 1st via Netflix:

The A Word will be available July 13 on Sundance:

Edited by atomationage

I've been on a binge of international programming lately. 

I recently discovered New Zealand's Brokenwood Mysteries and the UK's Agatha Raisin (based on the books and starring Ugly Betty's & Extras' Ashley Jensen).  These are not deep, brooding or complex mysteries.  They're more light hearted and relaxed.  If we were discussing books, they'd fit into the "cozy" mystery description but since it's a stressful time, they have been perfect to watch.  I wish I had more to gobble up.  I like the darker stuff too but there does seem to be a lot of it. 

I also watched Amazon's latest import, Fleabag, and I thought it was another winner.  It was funny and a bit sad and easy to binge.  I hope we get more.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I recently discovered New Zealand's Brokenwood Mysteries and the UK's Agatha Raisin (based on the books and starring Ugly Betty's & Extras' Ashley Jensen). 

I didn't like the first few episodes of Agatha Raisin, but I thought the series improved as it went along.   I checked out Brokenwood Mysteries.  I couldn't get into it, but will watch it eventually.   I guess this show Hillary is also from New Zealand, about Edmund Hillary from his childhood on.  I looked at the beginning.  I didn't understand what was happening, and will have to read up on it and re-watch. 

I requested forums for Berlin Station,  The Collection and Swedish Dicks.  Berlin Station will probably get a following because of the cast, Richard Armitage, Michelle Forbes, Rhys Ifans, and Richard Jenkins.  The Collection might get a following with Tom Riley.  His co-star, Richard Coyle, is less well known.  He was in Crossbones a couple of years ago.  I liked him in some other things people might not have seen, Going Postal and Lorna Doone.   Swedish Dicks might get a cult following with Peter Stormare in the lead.  I watched the first episode and laughed a lot.   I don't know if it holds up after that, but they seem to have well known guest stars, like Keanu Reeves, who might get some attention for the show, in spite of it's unfortunate name. 

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, atomationage said:

I didn't like the first few episodes of Agatha Raisin, but I thought the series improved as it went along.   I checked out Brokenwood Mysteries.  I couldn't get into it, but will watch it eventually.   I guess this show Hillary is also from New Zealand, about Edmund Hillary from his childhood on.  I looked at the beginning.  I didn't understand what was happening, and will have to read up on it and re-watch.

I didn't like the first episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries but there were only 3 (I started on DVD from the library before I decided to get AcornTV) so I kept going.  But like I said, I was looking for something that wouldn't raise my blood pressure and I just grew to like it more. 

The Collection might get a following with Tom Riley.  His co-star, Richard Coyle, is less well known.  He was in Crossbones a couple of years ago.  I liked him in some other things people might not have seen, Going Postal and Lorna Doone.

That's funny because I had to look up Tom Riley but immediately knew Richard Coyle was Jeff in Coupling.  He was pretty well known for that. So I just think it depends on what people watch.  He was also in Covert Affairs.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I've been on a binge of international programming lately. 

I recently discovered New Zealand's Brokenwood Mysteries and the UK's Agatha Raisin (based on the books and starring Ugly Betty's & Extras' Ashley Jensen).  These are not deep, brooding or complex mysteries.  They're more light hearted and relaxed.  If we were discussing books, they'd fit into the "cozy" mystery description but since it's a stressful time, they have been perfect to watch.  I wish I had more to gobble up.  I like the darker stuff too but there does seem to be a lot of it. 

I also watched Amazon's latest import, Fleabag, and I thought it was another winner.  It was funny and a bit sad and easy to binge.  I hope we get more.

I am currently living for Fleabag. I usually hate fourth-wall-breakage but that actress is amazing.

I watched Agatha Raisin for Ashley Jensen but it was pretty snooze-worthy. I guess the problem I have with 'cozy mysteries' is the basic premise: some quaint little town where everyone knows everyone, but no one finds it weird that there's a gruesome murder every few days? 

• Love 1