Type keyword(s) to search

Globally Speaking: International Programming Aka Non-US Shows

• Start Topic

I thought the town in Agatha Raisin was the same one they used for Doctor Who, a couple of seasons ago.   I have the Fleabag episodes, but I haven't watched much of it.  I think the episodes were longer than I expected.   My recollection is that there was more than one season of Brokenwood Mysteries, another show with longer than expected episodes. 

Edited by atomationage

Brokenwood has had 2 seasons of 3 episodes each. A 3rd season is coming soon. They do the 90 minute thing some other foreign shows do. This is the only series of the 3 that I'd say has extra long episodes.

Except for the 90 minute TV movie which aired in 2014, Agatha Raisin episodes (for the series in 2016) are about 45 minutes each which, for me, is the perfect length for a drama when I'm binging.  It's a reason why I think shows that originally aired with commercials are more easily bingeable than shows created to binge or shows that aired on premium channels that last the full hour.

Fleabag episodes are around 25 minutes each.  Some shorter by a minute or 2.  Some longer by a minute.

• Love 1

I would highly recommend these series on Netflix

A Very Secret Service- France

1992- Italy

Occupied- Norway

Lava Field- Iceland

Witnesses- France

I Am the Ambassador- Denmark (docuseries about the openly gay US Ambassador to Denmark Rufus Gifford)

• Love 1

On Hooten ep 2 , I was a little peeved by the Sybilline "book", the original of which would have been a scroll.  If I remember correctly, they were actually copied on to copper tablets because they were so important, since the priests wanted them to last forever.  That's a favorite history niche of mine. I fanwanked that as a copy written by some medieval monks, because books like that simply didn't exist back then.   I've watched many videos on Cumae, some in Italian, where I didn't even understand all of it.  I did like the rest of the history lesson they gave.   The last part of the episode fell apart for me, from Hooten getting shot on to the end.  I also like that Jane Seymour plays the mother of "The Lady".

Edited by atomationage
spelling

I also like Hooton and the Lady. It's fun and fast-paced, and not meant to be taken very seriously. The scenery is great, and I love that they visit a new and interesting location in each episode, and investigate artifacts from different cultures and time periods. There's something for all kinds of history buffs!

• Love 2

One thing I chanced upon in recent years overseas is that in some European countries, they're still re-running the Pippi Longstocking series produced in 1969 and dubbed from Swedish.  I'm not knocking Pippi per se but I have to wonder why there'd still be children interesting in seeing something that only had a small number of episodes made that their grandparents had cut their teeth on and was originally in another language to boot.

• Love 1
On 9/18/2016 at 2:59 PM, Irlandesa said:

I've been on a binge of international programming lately. 

I recently discovered New Zealand's Brokenwood Mysteries and the UK's Agatha Raisin (based on the books and starring Ugly Betty's & Extras' Ashley Jensen).  These are not deep, brooding or complex mysteries.  They're more light hearted and relaxed.  If we were discussing books, they'd fit into the "cozy" mystery description but since it's a stressful time, they have been perfect to watch.  I wish I had more to gobble up.  I like the darker stuff too but there does seem to be a lot of it. 

I also watched Amazon's latest import, Fleabag, and I thought it was another winner.  It was funny and a bit sad and easy to binge.  I hope we get more.

I'm looking the first two up now. I wish they'd make an Aunt Dimity series.

14 hours ago, atomationage said:

National Treasure, with Robbie Coltrane and Julie Walters looks brilliant so far:

Reveal hidden contents

I can't decide if I want to watch this. I love Robbie Coltrane so much that I'm not sure if I want to see him play such a scumbag.

• Love 1

I was just surprised at how old Robbie Coltrane looks in this series.  There's also an actor from Blackadder who played Lord  Percy, and Allen Carr.  I haven't gotten very far, because I really want to pay attention and enjoy every word.

• Love 1
On 9/27/2016 at 3:03 PM, Blergh said:

One thing I chanced upon in recent years overseas is that in some European countries, they're still re-running the Pippi Longstocking series produced in 1969 and dubbed from Swedish.  I'm not knocking Pippi per se but I have to wonder why there'd still be children interesting in seeing something that only had a small number of episodes made that their grandparents had cut their teeth on and was originally in another language to boot.

A very cheap rebroadcast rights scenario? Easy to make money if it only costs a station five euros or such to pay to air it. 

On 9/19/2016 at 3:47 AM, atomationage said:

I didn't like the first few episodes of Agatha Raisin, but I thought the series improved as it went along.   I checked out Brokenwood Mysteries.  I couldn't get into it, but will watch it eventually.   I guess this show Hillary is also from New Zealand, about Edmund Hillary from his childhood on.  I looked at the beginning.  I didn't understand what was happening, and will have to read up on it and re-watch. 

I requested forums for Berlin Station,  The Collection and Swedish Dicks.  Berlin Station will probably get a following because of the cast, Richard Armitage, Michelle Forbes, Rhys Ifans, and Richard Jenkins.  The Collection might get a following with Tom Riley.  His co-star, Richard Coyle, is less well known.  He was in Crossbones a couple of years ago.  I liked him in some other things people might not have seen, Going Postal and Lorna Doone.   Swedish Dicks might get a cult following with Peter Stormare in the lead.  I watched the first episode and laughed a lot.   I don't know if it holds up after that, but they seem to have well known guest stars, like Keanu Reeves, who might get some attention for the show, in spite of it's unfortunate name. 

Thank you for the feedback on Swedish Dicks - I saw the name on the new forums, but you're giving me a good reason to check it out, or rather, two good reasons": Peter Stromare and funny, I watch too many dramas and am aways on the lookout for good comedies.  

I've also just watched Versailles (first season) and found it a blast. Given that I also loved the two Borgia series (Borgia and The Borgias), one of which was co-produced by French Canal +, I'm super interested in their other productions or coproductions.

I might check Agatha Raisin. A couple of years ago, I picked up a book of the series at an airport (There Goes the Bride, the title and the blurb sold it), and thought it was a hoot, so I bought two more, but as the story was exactly the same in these two with just different settings, I decided I was done with the books. Bad book(s)/good series wouldn't be unheard of, though (Sex and the City...), so I might give it a try.

I'm also interested about the new Canadian series about a Korean family running a convenience store - I saw one teaser, called "the cool, christian, Korean boyfriend" that gives me hope this could be fun. Also the writer seems cool, he's Korean, no idea if he's a Christian though :) I think it's called Kim's convenience, not sure and I can go and check forum listings while keeping this, so I'll correct later if I'm wrong.

Edited by NutMeg
Mispell
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, NutMeg said:

Thank you for the feedback on Swedish Dicks - I saw the name on the new forums, but you're giving me a good reason to check it out, or rather, two good reasons": Peter Stromare and funny, I watch too many dramas and am aways on the lookout for good comedies.  

I've also just watched Versailles (first season) and found it a blast. Given that I also loved the two Borgia series (Borgia and The Borgias), one of which was co-produced by French Canal +, I'm super interested in their other productions or coproductions.

I might check Agatha Raisin. A couple of years ago, I picked up a book of the series at an airport (There Goes the Bride, the title and the blurb sold it), and thought it was a hoot, so I bought two more, but as the story was exactly the same in these two with just different settings, I decided I was done with the books. Bad book(s)/good series wouldn't be unheard of, though (Sex and the City...), so I might give it a try.

I'm also interested about the new Canadian series about a Corean family running a convenience store - I saw one teaser, called "the cool, christian, Corean boyfriend" that gives me hope this could be fun. Also the writer seems cool, he's Corean, no idea if he's a Christian though :) I think it's called Kim's convenience, not sure and I can go and check forum listings while keeping this, so I'll correct later if I'm wrong.

Don't you mean Korean?

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, maraleia said:

Don't you mean Korean?

It is one of those things which is in flux and goes back and forth like Gypsy versus Romani especially when you are translating and changing to a different alphabet what ever that is called. some will say changing to Korean from Corean was a result from American cultural dominance coming out of the defet of Japan.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, maraleia said:

Don't you mean Korean?

Duh, yes obviously - got carried away with Canada, Christian, cool, and just having watched a lot of French, I went for the French spelling because CCC has a charm that is missing in CCK :) I'll edit my post accordingly

10 hours ago, Raja said:

It is one of those things which is in flux and goes back and forth like Gypsy versus Romani especially when you are translating and changing to a different alphabet what ever that is called. some will say changing to Korean from Corean was a result from American cultural dominance coming out of the defet of Japan.

I didn't know it was once "Corean" (French speaker here), seems I unknowingly opened a can of worms, good to know, thanks :)

On 10/2/2016 at 8:25 PM, atomationage said:

I was just surprised at how old Robbie Coltrane looks in this series.  There's also an actor from Blackadder who played Lord  Percy, and Allen Carr.  I haven't gotten very far, because I really want to pay attention and enjoy every word.

Despite some initial misgivings, I ended up watching National Treasure and I really liked it. I agree that it was jarring to see Robbie Coltrane looking so old and dejected, but it did tickle me to see Hagrid married to Mrs. Weasley. I thought the cast was excellent, and I liked the way the story unfolded. In tone and pacing it reminded me a lot of the movie "Doubt" starring Meryl Streep as the nun who accuses a priest of child abuse, but I'm glad that this mini-series had more closure. The highlight for me was seeing Tim McInnerny (Lord Percy/Captain Darling) who plays Coltrane's long-time comedy partner.  I also liked that it was definitely set in the real world, as they deliberately set the story within the context of the recent celebrity sex scandals in the UK (notably the Jimmy Savile disaster). I highly recommend this one!

Side note: it took me two episodes to realise that his daughter is played by Andrea Riseborough, who starred in another show I enjoyed, "The Devil's Whore" from 2008. It's set during the English Civil War and follows the rise and fall of a noblewomen during this turbulent time. I actually recognised her voice before her face; she has a wonderful soothing voice, and I would love for her to record some audiobooks.

• Love 1

I have been enjoying the CBC's This Life. I really enjoyed the first season and am enjoying the second season so far as well. I am a sucker for a  dramas that focus on a family. I love the various relationships of the family members, but my favorite would be Romy and Oliver.

• Love 1

I never got into This Life, because I was watching Chasing Life, and re-watching The Big C in between, so I didn't want to watch another show about a younger woman with cancer. 

Originally, Previously didn't want to have separate sections for shows from different countries, but there was a breakthrough recently with U.K. TV in the Shows & More/Misc TV Talk/Genre Talk section, so I'm wondering if anyone else would want forums for Canadian and Australian TV.

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 1
On 10/17/2016 at 8:21 PM, atomationage said:

Previously didn't want to have separate sections for shows from different countries, but there was a breakthrough recently with U.K. TV in the Shows & More/Misc TV Talk/Genre Talk section, so I'm wondering if anyone else would want forums for Canadian and Australian TV.

I thought anyone could request a forum for any show? Do they boot requests for Canadian and Aussie shows, or is it just that no ones putting them forward?

12 hours ago, GaT said:

It's awful and offensive and just plain wrong. It's not even that it's offensive but at least Fiennes looks like MJ. He does not look like MJ beyond the clothes. The eyes, mouth and shape of his face is all wrong and the nose is so fake looking (not that MJ had a natural nose by 2001 when this takes place) that it's ridiculous. And I haven't even touched on how offensive it is to have a white actor play a black man, though again I will acknowledge that MJs look at this point was very pale skin. I get the impulse but I think because of who MJ was and how he looked, Hollywood probably should just stay away from him as a character in film and TV since it'll be nearly impossible to portray him in a way that won't offend.

And it's a crying shame because Stockard Channing was born to play older, comedic Elizabeth Taylor.

I've just been catching up on Season 5 of House Husbands, which began airing in Australia in February, and I have to express my extreme disappointment regarding the disappearance of Kane and his husband, as well as their whole IVF storyline with Eve. From what I've been able to find out online, it was Gyton Grantley's (the actor who played Kane since the beginning of the series) choice not to return for Season 5, so the straightwashing of the show may not be as overtly intentional as it feels. That doesn't alter the fact, though, that the show's one non-hetero storyline was dispatched with a throwaway phone call in the first episode of this season, and replaced by the antics of yet another womanizing straight guy battling his inner demons. Very sad.

I'm currently hooked on an Aussie/Kiwi joint venture called 800 Words. It stars the Dad from Packed to the Rafters who, after his wife died, packed up his two teenage kids and moved from Sydney to some backwoods town in NZ. It's a bit stereotyped, but the chatracters for the most part are likeable.

• Love 2
On April 8, 2017 at 8:39 PM, Friendly Lurker said:

I'm currently hooked on an Aussie/Kiwi joint venture called 800 Words. It stars the Dad from Packed to the Rafters who, after his wife died, packed up his two teenage kids and moved from Sydney to some backwoods town in NZ. It's a bit stereotyped, but the chatracters for the most part are likeable.

I have been watching this show as well. It can be a bit cliche but I enjoyed the characters. 

I have been watching some programs that I saved on my DVR, The Halcyon and The Good Karma Hospital. Both are UK dramas.  Neither are anything revolutionary but they are enjoyable. The Halcyon is a bit soapy, but I do not mind that overall. I liked the acting in both shows.  Mrs. Hughes from Downton Abbey had a regular role in The Good Karma Hospital. It took me awhile to place her out of her Downton Abbey garb. 

On 13/4/2017 at 10:05 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Anyone else watch and enjoy Canada's Road to Avonlea?

Is it a new adaption of Montgomery's stories or the old one from 1990? I tried, but my google-fu failed me...

• Love 2

I was wondering the same thing.  Is it a new version of Road to Avonlea or the old one from the 90's? I have been watching Canada's Anne, which has it's own forum here. I have been enjoying it. I though nothing could touch my love for the Megan Follows version, but this one is a nice change. It is a bit darker.  The opening credits are beautiful.  

(edited)

I just started watching The Magnificent Century on Netflex.  It's not in English but they have subtitles.  I can't really explain it but I am loving this series.  I'm about 7 episodes in and I am hooked.  The sets are a bit cheesy and you can tell when they have a green screen but the actors are giving it everything they have.  The series is about Suleiman the Magnificent who acceded to the throne during the time of Henry VIII and his harem.  The slave girl he fell in love with eventually became Queen of the Ottomans.  I think part of the reason I really enjoy it is that I know a good bit about the other rulers of his time but I know very little about him and it's made me want to research him to find out what actually happened.  I am completely hooked.

Has anyone else watched this series? 

Edited by Peper81

I don't know if these shows count, but a friend of mine told me about the Canadian and Australian versions of Border Security on Netflix and I am obsessed!  I've binge-watched about 60 episodes over the last couple of weekends and I just love it.  I told my friend that if I ever fly internationally, I'm going to pack a big sack of marijuana, over $10,000 in cash and 47 bags of raw meat....and declare none of it so I can get on one of these shows lol.  

If anyone knows where I can watch other seasons besides the ones already on Netflix, I'd love to hear it.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

I don't know if these shows count, but a friend of mine told me about the Canadian and Australian versions of Border Security on Netflix and I am obsessed!  I've binge-watched about 60 episodes over the last couple of weekends and I just love it.  I told my friend that if I ever fly internationally, I'm going to pack a big sack of marijuana, over $10,000 in cash and 47 bags of raw meat....and declare none of it so I can get on one of these shows lol.  

If anyone knows where I can watch other seasons besides the ones already on Netflix, I'd love to hear it.

I haven't seen them on netflix, but I remember watching one or two episodes a few years ago. The Canadian one, on one of the other Roku channels like Crackle. I'll have to look it up. 

3 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

All righty, @TaraS1. They sound kinda boring but I added them to my queue ... my enjoyment or lack thereof is now on you!

22 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

There's a lot of episodes on YouTube. Someone I know said they watched them there not long ago.

20 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

All righty, @TaraS1. They sound kinda boring but I added them to my queue ... my enjoyment or lack thereof is now on you!

I can't handle that kind of pressure! lol

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

There's a lot of episodes on YouTube. Someone I know said they watched them there not long ago.

Thanks so much, Jaded!

I signed up for the free trial of Hulu and I'm hooked on an Australian workplace comedy called The Librarians.  There are only three seasons and I'm about halfway through the final one - I'd highly recommend it!  Some of the characters (especially the main one) are politically incorrect and awful, but hilariously so.

• Love 1

I know we discussed Agatha Raisin a bit in here. I had given up hope for a second season but it looks like it's so popular on Acorn that AcornTV has picked up a second season---sort of.

They're doing three books/mysteries. And each story will take place over the course of 90 minutes.  So it's either 3 90 minute movie specials or 6 45 minute episodes--however you look at it.  I don't care. I'm just happy it'll be back.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I know we discussed Agatha Raisin a bit in here. I had given up hope for a second season but it looks like it's so popular on Acorn that AcornTV has picked up a second season---sort of.

They're doing three books/mysteries. And each story will take place over the course of 90 minutes.  So it's either 3 90 minute movie specials or 6 45 minute episodes--however you look at it.  I don't care. I'm just happy it'll be back.

I caught the Agatha Raisin series on my local PBS station. I enjoyed them for the most part. I liked how they made the town a little more diverse, although I didn't like the way they made Mrs. Bloxby somewhat morally ambiguous. It was interesting that they de-aged Agatha by several years and prettied her up. 

Did anyone watch Sacred Games, Netflix's first Indian series?  I thought it was pretty good and I liked that it was willing to play with episodes length so not all were a full hour long.  I do recommend, for anyone who decides to watch it, to throw on the English (CC) setting instead of just English subtitles as Indians do incorporate English every once in a while.  I found English appearing in the middle of a foreign language and the accents threw me.  My ear wasn't ready for it so i was happy to have CC throughout the whole series.

• Love 1

I guess this would be the place to mention that I've just watched Doctor Foster, on Netflix. There's nowhere to discuss it on here.

I liked 800 Words when I looked it up, and it was on PBS just recently (but I kept missing it). I need to watch seasons two and three. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Anela said:

I guess this would be the place to mention that I've just watched Doctor Foster, on Netflix. There's nowhere to discuss it on here.

I liked 800 Words when I looked it up, and it was on PBS just recently (but I kept missing it). I need to watch seasons two and three. 

Did you watch both seasons of Dr. Foster? The second seemed like a perfect example of dragging out a single-season show for no good reason. I just wanted to flick her on the head and tell her to stop obsessing.

Similarly, 800 Words was fairly amusing at first but then sort of devolved into watching the lead date each of his female friends in succession. I wanted more local color and less of his messed up romantic life. I haven't watched season 3, so maybe it gets better.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Did you watch both seasons of Dr. Foster? The second seemed like a perfect example of dragging out a single-season show for no good reason. I just wanted to flick her on the head and tell her to stop obsessing.

Similarly, 800 Words was fairly amusing at first but then sort of devolved into watching the lead date each of his female friends in succession. I wanted more local color and less of his messed up romantic life. I haven't watched season 3, so maybe it gets better.

I didn't mind the second season, I thought they were pretty much all awful. The first season I watched two years ago, so I only remember bits of it. She didn't bother me so much, because of the way she was being treated, it seemed to me that was why she was obsessing. And her ex was THE WORST. Such an awful person. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Anela said:

I didn't mind the second season, I thought they were pretty much all awful. The first season I watched two years ago, so I only remember bits of it. She didn't bother me so much, because of the way she was being treated, it seemed to me that was why she was obsessing. And her ex was THE WORST. Such an awful person. 

I tried watching the first season but hated her character so much that I wanted someone (anyone) to kill her.  So I stopped watching.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I tried watching the first season but hated her character so much that I wanted someone (anyone) to kill her.  So I stopped watching.

Haha! I don't remember much, I just loathe her husbabd. Gaslighting SOB that he is.