Type keyword(s) to search

Castiel: A Multi-Dimensional Wavelength Of Celestial Intent

• Start Topic

(edited)

"He's dreamy"? Heh. I'm biased, but Charlie basically said it first! Or perhaps "Heavenly Body"?  ;)

Or maybe the not quite so stalkery "Rebel Angel"? Of course, that would be shot to shit if he got de-powered again. As long as Cas is played by Misha Collins though, the "he's dreamy" still applies, as far as I'm concerned. :)

He became my favourite character. If he's not in the episode, there's a 90% chance that I won't bother with it. Sad, but true.

I love his time with Dean and Sam...there's been far too little of it this season, IMO.

I am inordinately in love with the fact that William Shatner appears to have taken up the Castiel Cause, even going so far as to tweet the CW to tell them to let the showrunners know that they'd be idiots to not renew Misha for season 10.

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 1

Aw, I love Cas.  I hope they bring him back next season too.

I can only come up with stale lines for the thread title but I'll throw them in anyway!

Don't Piss Off the Nerdy Angel

Nerdy Guy with Wings

Holy Tax Accountant

See, kinda stale and lame.  Sorry.

• Love 1

I'm watching Supernatural on TNT- anxiously waiting for tonight. Metatron took Castiels grace for the spell that closed up Heaven. On the Season 9 finale, I didn't think about it for obvious reasons, but does anyone think that Cas & Sam could find it? I think Cas will need it to help Dean.

Promo shots S9.

We need to get a better name.  Here's our options thus far:

- He's dreamy

-  Heavenly Body

- Rebel Angel

- Don't Piss Off the Nerdy Angel

- Nerdy Guy with Wings

- Holy Tax Accountant

- Not Clarence

- What's the clearance, Clarence?

- Everytime the Pizza Man Scores, This Angel Gets His Wings

-The Voice Says He's Running Out of Minutes

- Don't Ever Change

- "I saw a liquor store...I drank it."

RECOMMENDATION:  We "vote" for our favorite (or provide a write in for votes).  Title with the most votes by Sunday, 24 Oct 14 noon EDT wins.  Then we'll PM a mod to change the title.  Y/Y? 

My vote:

Don't Piss Off the Nerdy Angel

• Love 1

My votes:

Angel of Thursday    because that is his name

Holy Tax Accountant   because it was the first but overall, I'd rather not go with the numerous things Dean has called him. It seems that it makes it more a Dean thread. I might be overthinking this.

He saw a liquor store....he drank it. because it's actually his own line.

He saw a liquor store....he drank it. because it's actually his own line.

Good point. My pizza man line is also his, but doesn't really describe him. So in that regard...

"His true form is approximately the size of the Chrysler Building" (or some variation thereof) might work.

And I also like SilverStormm's "A multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1

I'm rather fond of "His People Skills Are Rusty", but also love "A Multi-dimensional Wavelength Of Celestial Intent" also. Both are perfect descriptions of Castiel.

Although, I just usually refer to him as "Old Blue Eyes". ;)

• Love 1

I don't think just because Dean called him other things that should negate the christening name nor should the fact that that it's a name from Dean makes it too much about Dean. After all, Crowley came up with Moose and Not Moose and those were accepted as the names of the Sam and Dean threads with no concern for those being about Crowley.

Hmmm, the celestial intent thing may be temporary if Cas stops being an angel. He may also get a new wardrobe, so the whole 'tax accountant' thing would also have a short shelf life, the 'people skills are rusty' bit is great but he's been getting better at that...

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to throw in one which I don't think will ever change and works on more than one level: He's in love with humanity. :)

Edited by NoWillToResist

You know you're obsessed with Supernatural when you actually spend money to buy Misha Collins' so-awful-it's-awesome "Stonehenge Apocalypse." Sadly, I'm not kidding! 

I will cop to watching it when it was on Syfy, but I draw the line at buying it. :-)

Especially since he spends so much of his time locked up!

He looked luscious, though...

Excellent thread name. 

From the bitterness thread:

So basically the show is being hamstrung by a character who amounts to little more than a mascot.

This is a "hopped up on Christmas sugar rush" Cas-friendly reply.  Feel free to stay negative.  I'm just feeling yay-Cas today.

I think Cas is a mytharc must character that's been sidelined too much for a variety of reasons. (Ooops..here's a bit of a sour tart ). I've made it clear I think that the queerbaiting criticism and constant demands for a canon Destiel romantic relationship has impacted the Cas storyline.  So they are stuck with an awesome character of massive potential who they only use sparingly.  (I may be a little bitter here).

But I think Cas' endgame could still be a series-highlight but likely sprung upon us without nearly getting the airtime it deserved.

Here's why:

- Cas appears to be central to God's plan in the Supernatural universe.  The boys and Cas believe God to be a distant father who doesn't care.  I think the end of Swan Song and his revisit in Fan Fiction make it clear that the Supernatural universe God cares a great deal but he's operating in a different manner. And Cas appears central to his grand plan because he's resurrected him three times

A brief meta moment: rumor has it Sera Gamble intended Cas to be killed off after going Godstiel, eating Leviathans and going poof.  Carver wisely brought him back.  So, the end-game is the Carver vision at this point until we get a new showrunner.

- So WHY keep resurrecting the little tree topper? First, and most obviously, to protect and aid the boys as they fought the Apocalypse. Second, it would appear Kripke left his vision at Cas being the new sheriff in Heaven. Having learned the importance of humanity and free will, who bettter than Cas to lead?  So I think Kripke resurrected him that last time to "wrap up" the Apocalypse story with a hopeful note that Cas would square away heaven.

- Gamble took the reasonable approach that it wouldn't go smoothly, created a civil war (off screen mostly), and had Cas go darkside. She redeemed Cas before his end and then let him go out in a blaze of black goo.

- Since Carver was apparently the one to bring him back (while still in the Gamble era), I would contend he brought him back with only a vague few concepts regarding his three year plan.

- On a broad scale, the Angel story in the 3 year plan has been the angels resetting post civil war and learning about humanity (due to their fall) and their original mission.

- Which leaves me with: Cas' end game is going to be central to Heaven getting squared away and functional again.

Since TFW kinda broke heaven with the not!Apocalypse, I think it's only fair that Cas ends up the key to fixing Heaven is the ultimate goal for the character.  I think Supernatural universal God's plan is to make Cas the central figure.

• Love 2

So I've been thinking about Cas a bit more.

Cas has been nerfed and defanged mostly to make him less of a deus ex machina and that he is more of a bumbling nerd now than badass warrior angel.  I'm trying to head!canon it that Cas has chosen to be less powerful and more nerdy to fit in with humanity. 

I really hope this season he gets to be kind of badass again to help the boys and himself. 

I still really love Cas no matter if he's being a nerd, or badass or badass nerd. I also wonder when they finally remove Lucifer from him, if  Lucifer will end up destroying Cas' mind as I'm assuming Lucifer won't necessarily want to leave his vessel. Of course the flip around could be that Cas doesn't want to eject him...I dunno. 

Just some Cas thinky thoughts.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

I loved the "I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from Perdition" and "You should show me some respect. I dragged you out of hell, I can throw you back in" badass Castiel.  I know some people don't like the angels, but I enjoyed the characters and Heaven plots in S. 4 & 5. The current Castiel, however, has been given very little to do in the last 2 seasons. Even as Casifer he's only been in 4 episodes (according to IMDB). I guess they can't go back to the socially inept BAMF, which is too bad.

• Love 1

I loved the "I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from Perdition" and "You should show me some respect. I dragged you out of hell, I can throw you back in" badass Castiel.  I know some people don't like the angels, but I enjoyed the characters and Heaven plots in S. 4 & 5. The current Castiel, however, has been given very little to do in the last 2 seasons. Even as Casifer he's only been in 4 episodes (according to IMDB). I guess they can't go back to the socially inept BAMF, which is too bad.

I don't think we can go back to the kind of cold fish Cas that threatened to throw Dean back into Hell because Dean was impertinent to him. He's evolved too much for that IMO. TFW is a family. They can be dumbasses to each other but the OTHERNESS of Cas in relation to the boys...can't really be recreated..nor should it be IMO.

• Love 1

I love Cass, although I don't tend to label myself as any one character's fan. I'm an equal opportunity fan, I guess. ;)

I wouldn't take the lack of activity to be indicative of a lack of Cass friendlies. It seems none of the character threads get a lot of traction around here. The bulk of discussion is usually in the individual episode threads lately and the Bitterness thread seems to always be busy, too.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

I love Cass, although I don't tend to label myself as any one character's fan. I'm an equal opportunity fan, I guess. ;)

I wouldn't take the lack of activity to be indicative of a lack of Cass friendlies. It seems none of the character threads get a lot of traction around here. The bulk of discussion is usually in the individual episode threads lately and the Bitterness thread seems to always be busy, too.

Oh, sorry about that! I didn't mean who was his fan and his fan only. Sorry that was bad wording on my part!

And thank you for the clarification on the threads people are most inclined to post in :)

I love that in season twelve they're taking a lot of time to show us how much our beloved angel has changed since we first met him Lazarus Rising. When we first meet him Castiel was a detached warrior of God. He had no particular investment in events and was solely focused on what he perceived as his duty to the greater good. He was very much a 'the bigger picture' guy as shown by the questionable actions he undertook while trying to stop Raphael relaunching the apocalypse in season six. What's more he was someone who struggled to take responsibility for his actions as he had difficulties shaking off the mindset that he's a soldier just following orders. Some examples of that difficulty including his insistence on placing the onus for his rebellious actions on Dean in Point of No Return, or even the reluctance he showed to admit his own part in helping launch the apocalypse (opening the panic room door). 

However, they are now showing us just how different Castiel has become. Castiel has become someone who is deeply invested in protecting the world and keeping those he views as family safe. This is shown through his speeches in First Blood and Stuck in the Middle (With You). Castiel is someone who is willing to be held accountable for his past actions, as shown when he holds his hands up and admits the wrong he did to Lily. He was even willing to die if it helped ease her pain. Castiel is now someone who is interested in protecting the individual and no longer believes that a minor loss is as acceptable in the face of the greater good hence his desire to find a different way when they track down Kelly Klein. 

I just love that they are providing us with so many examples of just how much Cas has changed since we first met him <3. Although I'm extremely worried that they're being so generous with these instances because they want to highlight his journey now we're nearing the end of it. 

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 2

IA.  Castiel has come so far in terms of experiences but he's still NOT in a good place.  He's got a constant worry about him.  I need that fixed.  

Right now he's carrying the weight of the Nephilim as his immediate concern.  Add in the 'cosmic consequences' of stabbing Billy.  Even at the beginning of the season, he had a rogue Lucifer to hunt.

When was the last time Cas legitimately only had to worry about TFW's routine existence?  I think the answer is "never".  Yes, he has taken some mental 'time outs' with the bee-chasing, memory loss, and brief foray at the Gas-n-Sip.  But mostly, Cas has always had some massive cosmic issue on his "to do" list.  

Talk about needing to lay his weary head to rest!  But not permanently.  Just long enough that he laugh.  I want to see Cas laugh.  Or at least giggle a little ("emoji's"). 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, SueB said:

When was the last time Cas legitimately only had to worry about TFW's routine existence?  I think the answer is "never".  Yes, he has taken some mental 'time outs' with the bee-chasing, memory loss, and brief foray at the Gas-n-Sip.  But mostly, Cas has always had some massive cosmic issue on his "to do" list.  

Talk about needing to lay his weary head to rest!  But not permanently.  Just long enough that he laugh.  I want to see Cas laugh.  Or at least giggle a little ("emoji's"). 

I think the main reason for this is that the writers tend to prefer to use Cas (and Crowley) for the big stakes mytharc episodes reserving the (sometimes) more lighthearted MOTWs for the brother only interaction, or the guest appearance of less commonly used guest characters such as Jodi, Donna etc. 

One of my biggest wishes for the show is that we got a few scenes of Castiel and the brothers enjoying an evening just being friends Whether it's chilling watching Netflix, like we got with Charlie back in Slumber Party, or even hanging at a bar without the topic of discussion being some big bad foe, or someone discussing their guilt or other negative emotions. 

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, SueB said:

I want to see Cas laugh.

Does Cas know how to laugh?  Do any angels?  I mean - at human humor?  ("It's funnier in Enochian.")  I guess Akobel in Lily Sunder might have had a little sense of humor - I think he smiled in the brief scene in the house before Ishim showed up.  But I'm not sure that was because anything was "funny" to him, but rather he was just humoring Lily about her daughter's doll not being disturbing.  Maybe there are more instances where Cas has found something funny over the course of his time on the show, but I can't remember them right now.