Type keyword(s) to search

Sam Winchester: aka Moose

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, shang yiet said:

I really wanted Sam to be a demon leader boy king. Wasted opportunity.

I have to say, I always liked the potential for Sam's powers.  I wanted to see them develop.  I was actually disappointed that the only thing they really led to was the apocalypse. I don't know how I would have felt with him as a demon leader, but it could have been interesting.  

• Love 1

Yes, I agree. Powers are too often linked to "bad" in this verse, and I don't want to see Sam be on the wrong side again. They've done that enough already.

I do agree with @Reganne, however, that it was somewhat disappointing that Sam's powers arc basically only lead to Dean making the deal and the apocalypse. It was a straightforward power corrupts and leads to badness story and some sort of twist on it instead might've been interesting.

• Love 3

I liked the regular psychic visions - I didn't think they made Sam super-powerful and they haven't shown regular psychics to be evil. And I liked the guilt attached to them from Jess's death. I kind of liked it in season 11 when Sam thought he was having visions from God, but yeah, the overwhelming demonic powers made Sam too powerful and no good came from them.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I do agree with @Reganne, however, that it was somewhat disappointing that Sam's powers arc basically only lead to Dean making the deal and the apocalypse. It was a straightforward power corrupts and leads to badness story and some sort of twist on it instead might've been interesting.

I agree - no drinking demon blood and no superpowers! I thought about it after American Nightmare, when he talked to Magda. Sam wasn't absolutely sure that his psychic abilities were gone for good. The psychic powers, for better or worse, are still part of who Sam is. And it would be interesting to see a little bit about it.

SAM: Magda... You're not the Devil. You're just psychic. There are others out there like you, like – like me. I have powers, too. I'd get these visions sometimes and – and I could move things with my mind.

MAGDA: You can do that?

SAM: Well, no, not anymore, I don't think. But that didn't make me the Devil. It – it – it just made me who I am.

• Love 3

I think human characters are far more interesting as characters than those who have powers. I was okay with Sam's power only because they didn't really use it as a power week in and week out, but from the moment they revealed he was having visions, I found him far less interesting as a character. I think he's been far more interesting since he hasn't had them, myself.

It's because I find Sam interesting in the first place that I want him to have powers. I happen to like stories about characters with special destinies. I get that you prefer the human element but for me, powers wouldn't have taken away that element.

To answer Ahrtee's question, if the powers had led to a Sam/evil against Dean/good battle, that would have been very intriguing! I like dark!Sam and I never needed the brothers to always be on the same side.

17 minutes ago, shang yiet said:

It's because I find Sam interesting in the first place that I want him to have powers. I happen to like stories about characters with special destinies. I get that you prefer the human element but for me, powers wouldn't have taken away that element.

To answer Ahrtee's question, if the powers had led to a Sam/evil against Dean/good battle, that would have been very intriguing! I like dark!Sam and I never needed the brothers to always be on the same side.

Well, that would be a completely different show, IMO.  Not saying it would be better or worse, but it's not what the show was originally supposed to be.  And, just speaking for myself, not what I signed up for.

• Love 1

From the Bitch thread:

20 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think I made my observation in Season 6 and didn't give it another thought.  I think at the time I was just wondering if Dean had held onto any of Sam's stuff, and I was like  wait does he have any stuff?  So, then it was just like did Dean save any of Sam's clothes?  They wouldn't fit him.  Did he give them to charity?  Same with Dean's clothes post season 4.   I wonder about stupid things.  I'm assuming they kept each other's weapons as part of their stash.  Since Sam had to get new weapons did they have like double the weapons?  Probably since they had no trunk space.

On Sam having "stuff" - Iir, when we 'see' the memory of him walking out to go to Stanford, he only had one bag over his shoulder.  So at that point, I think he probably only had a few sets of clothes and possibly a laptop.  Maybe a couple books.  

Then he was at Stanford, and living in an off-campus apartment with Jess, so I think they might have accumulated some "stuff" together.  But that all burned up when Jess died.  So when he took off with Dean, I think all he pretty much had were the clothes on his back.  I don't recall him even grabbing a bag when Dean dragged him out (and who would have been thinking about that at the time anyyway?)  Given their transient lifestyle, I really can't imagine that Dean would have had any of Sam's clothes pre-Stanford - at least not in the impala.  I doubt either of them had many clothes anyway (despite the wardrobe changes we see onscreen. :) ) Either Dean or John (more likely John, since we did see that he kept the trophy in his storage unit) kept some of Sam's "stuff".  But once again, I doubt Dean was lugging it around in the Impala.  

After Swan Song, I wonder if Dean kept any of Sam's "stuff" and what that might have been.  We saw Dean packing up a box with his 'stuff' (leather jacket, etc) to go to Bobby when he was planning to say yes to Michael.  But I'm not sure what of any significance Sam would have left behind.  Not that it really mattered, because when he was brought back without his soul, he didn't meet up with Dean for a year.  During that year, Sam was working with Samuel and the other Campbells.  I'm thinking either Sam picked up his own, new, weapons prior to meeting up with them or got weapons from them.  I think Sam probably at least held on to his own weapons after he started working with Dean again - since he was soulless at the time, I don't think it was out of sentimentality, but practicality.  I also don't think he would have held on to any other "stuff" that wasn't monster-killing related since he was soulless.   So, probably some or maybe even most of the weapons Sam used during his soulless days ended up in the trunk of the impala afterward.  

And now, like I said, we saw at the end of Into The Mystic, that Sam has a box of mementos.  According to supernaturalwiki:

The box and some of its contents, including the baseball and some photos, were found by Jenny, the woman who moved into the Winchester family home in Lawrence, Kansas in 2005. During the events of 1.09 Home, the Winchesters investigate and at it's conclusion Jenny gives them the box which had found in the basement.

So if Sam had it since S1, Dean must have kept it when Sam went to hell and during his soulless year.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

From the Bitch thread:

On Sam having "stuff" - Iir, when we 'see' the memory of him walking out to go to Stanford, he only had one bag over his shoulder.  So at that point, I think he probably only had a few sets of clothes and possibly a laptop.  Maybe a couple books.  

Then he was at Stanford, and living in an off-campus apartment with Jess, so I think they might have accumulated some "stuff" together.  But that all burned up when Jess died.  So when he took off with Dean, I think all he pretty much had were the clothes on his back.  I don't recall him even grabbing a bag when Dean dragged him out (and who would have been thinking about that at the time anyyway?)  Given their transient lifestyle, I really can't imagine that Dean would have had any of Sam's clothes pre-Stanford - at least not in the impala.  I doubt either of them had many clothes anyway (despite the wardrobe changes we see onscreen. :) ) Either Dean or John (more likely John, since we did see that he kept the trophy in his storage unit) kept some of Sam's "stuff".  But once again, I doubt Dean was lugging it around in the Impala.  

After Swan Song, I wonder if Dean kept any of Sam's "stuff" and what that might have been.  We saw Dean packing up a box with his 'stuff' (leather jacket, etc) to go to Bobby when he was planning to say yes to Michael.  But I'm not sure what of any significance Sam would have left behind.  Not that it really mattered, because when he was brought back without his soul, he didn't meet up with Dean for a year.  During that year, Sam was working with Samuel and the other Campbells.  I'm thinking either Sam picked up his own, new, weapons prior to meeting up with them or got weapons from them.  I think Sam probably at least held on to his own weapons after he started working with Dean again - since he was soulless at the time, I don't think it was out of sentimentality, but practicality.  I also don't think he would have held on to any other "stuff" that wasn't monster-killing related since he was soulless.   So, probably some or maybe even most of the weapons Sam used during his soulless days ended up in the trunk of the impala afterward.  

And now, like I said, we saw at the end of Into The Mystic, that Sam has a box of mementos.  According to supernaturalwiki:

So if Sam had it since S1, Dean must have kept it when Sam went to hell and during his soulless year.

Dean had a box of stuff in Lisa's garage that had his leather jacket in in and John's journal. He had packed them away, but kept them. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have that box they got from Jenny in there too. Also, he or Sam could've packed away Sam's things and left them at Bobby's. Bobby knew Sam was alive in S6, maybe Sam retrieved his stuff from Bobby before he set out on his own?

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Bobby knew Sam was alive in S6, maybe Sam retrieved his stuff from Bobby before he set out on his own?

Oh, I'd forgotten about that.  

But I wonder if SoullessSam would have bothered retrieving personal items - aside from weapons - before he set out on his own.  He didn't seem like the sentimental type to me at that point.  ;)  Still, Bobby could have kept whatever Sam left behind.  

2 minutes ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

But I wonder if SoullessSam would have bothered retrieving personal items - aside from weapons - before he set out on his own.  He didn't seem like the sentimental type to me at that point.  ;)  Still, Bobby could have kept whatever Sam left behind.  

Oh, no, I meant Soulless Sam may have retrieved clothing and such, but I highly doubt he would've taken personal mementos at that time. But, the rest of his stuff could've been retrieved after he got his soul back. I think it more likely Dean had that box of Sam's and any other personal items in that box he had his jacket and John's journal in, though.

• Love 2

So there's a discussion in the Dean thread about Dean/Jensen's best acting/character moments and all of my favorites have already been mentioned, so I wanted to start the Sam equivalent over here. So my personal favorites:

Born Under a Bad Sign - One of Jared's best performances, creepy as all get out. He nails some of Nikki Aycox's mannerisms and just looks giant and terrifying. 

Road Trip - When Sam remembers Kevin's death and asks "Did I kill Kevin?" The way he just closes his eyes as he realizes and the quiet way he asks. It's also one of my favorite Crowley moments, but that's a compliment for another thread. 

When the Levee Breaks - The scenes in the panic room, especially with Mary when he just leans into her touch and there's just this longing for something he's never had. 

Meet the New Boss and Hello, Cruel World - Sam's hellucinations. Jared plays the terror and confusion reall

Baby - the driving montage with him singing and laughing and trying to take the wheel. I think this is mostly just me being happy to see him happy. 

British Invasion - When he tell Eileen it was a mistake and hugs her. It's one of those empathetic Sam moments that I really like and wish we saw more of in the later seasons. 

Anyone else want to share some favorite Sam moments?

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

So there's a discussion in the Dean thread about Dean/Jensen's best acting/character moments and all of my favorites have already been mentioned, so I wanted to start the Sam equivalent over here. So my personal favorites:

Born Under a Bad Sign - One of Jared's best performances, creepy as all get out. He nails some of Nikki Aycox's mannerisms and just looks giant and terrifying. 

Road Trip - When Sam remembers Kevin's death and asks "Did I kill Kevin?" The way he just closes his eyes as he realizes and the quiet way he asks. It's also one of my favorite Crowley moments, but that's a compliment for another thread. 

When the Levee Breaks - The scenes in the panic room, especially with Mary when he just leans into her touch and there's just this longing for something he's never had. 

Meet the New Boss and Hello, Cruel World - Sam's hellucinations. Jared plays the terror and confusion reall

Baby - the driving montage with him singing and laughing and trying to take the wheel. I think this is mostly just me being happy to see him happy. 

British Invasion - When he tell Eileen it was a mistake and hugs her. It's one of those empathetic Sam moments that I really like and wish we saw more of in the later seasons. 

In AHBL2 when he figures out Dean sold his soul to bring him back and the scene in Fresh Blood when he asks Dean to be his brother again.

• Love 2
Just now, Diane said:

I love him in Bad Day at Blackrock, he plays the comedy just perfect. 

How did I forget this one? I don't know which part I love more - the fall, "I lost my shoe" or when the air conditioning breaks and he's just like, "oh, come on, I didn't even do anything."

• Love 6

When Sam looks at Dean, while kneeling, in Brother's Keeper... he breaks my heart. He looks 8 years old. Such a trusting face.  No wonder Dean couldn't kill him.  

• Love 7

All good choices so far. I'd like to add:

All of "Mystery Spot." I thought Jared did a great job in that episode. From the little only semi-annoyed moments in the beginning to his slowly going crazy from having to see Dean die over and over. And that hug at the end. Jared makes me really believe just how relieved and grateful Sam is to have Dean back.

The last scene of "Bloody Mary" from "... but there are some things I need to keep to myself" to Sam thinking he sees Jessica standing on the corner.

In "Soul Survivor" when Sam is trying so very hard not to let Demon Dean get to him and keep his head in the game trying to cure Dean. Jared does a great job of showing that Sam is taking the things Demon Dean is saying to heart even as he's trying desperately to convince himself that "this isn't my brother talking."

"Changing Channels" - so many places, but especially "Should I honk?" I thought Jared delivered that perfectly.

"Sacrifice" - Despite the problems with the episode, Jared made me believe the scenes with Crowley and made me believe the "you know what I confessed in there?..." line.

"Book of the Damned: - the end scene where Sam is trying so hard to pretend everything's okay, when inside he's in such conflict and despair. I think Jared nails it there.

"Caged Heat" - that creepy ass, bloody smile.

"A Very Supernatural Christmas" - that hopeful "Please let Dean like this" face Sam has when Dean opens the door... Jared makes me believe that Sam will be so sad if Dean doesn't like it, and he's so worried he won't, but he still had to try anyway, because he wants Dean to have that Christmas, even though it's also hard for him... and yes, I got all of that out of Jared's expression.

"The Song Remains the Same" - when Sam first sees Mary.

"My Bloody Valentine" - "You better lock me down... :: voice hitch :: "but good." And the end detox scene. Jared screams really well, in my opinion... not in a fakey over the top screaming way many actors do, but in a believable way.

"Repo Man" - the end scene where Sam realizes that pressing the scar isn't working and his hallucination is winning.

• Love 6

The French Mistake when he jerks the key out of Misha's hands after he realizes it isn't Cas. And the scene at his house when he and Dean are trying to figure out why fake Ruby is there. He doesn't say much, but his reactions while Dean is babbling are great. "I should probably find out her name."

• Love 4

Born Under a Bad Sign in Jo's bar: He's not Sam, he's not Dean Forester, he's an evil, creepy guy.

Do You Believe in Miracles: The emotion on his face when he realizes Dean is dead is heart-breaking.

The Man Who Knew Too Much: The tortured part of Sam's soul is barely recognizable as Jared/Sam

• Love 3

There are so many perfect moments from both boys! For Sam, I'd say all of "Bad Day at Black Rock" and "Mystery Spot."

I always thought the reunion with John in "Shadows" was perfect. Sam seems so tentative but relieved to see his dad again. He falls into line with the "Yes Sir" but then pushes John right away about letting them help. So many conflicting emotions, and I thought Jared nailed it.

I agree with @AwesomO4000 about the ending of "A Very Supernatural Christmas."

I also love how Sam gives this adorable, nostalgic smile every time they say "Bitch/ Jerk."

In non-Jared Sam moments, Colin Ford's joy is just perfect in the fireworks scene.

And those are just the first five seasons! I could keep going, but I'll stop at that.

• Love 5

In My Time of Dying - When Sam finds John's body and freaks out. Helped by some beautiful camera work and the miracle cup that did not tip over. 

Playthings - Sam coming up out of the water with Tyler. And the scene where he goes from "You're bossy. And short" to begging Dean to kill him if he needs to. All while playing drunk. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Uh...all of them?  :D  

I'm not good at remembering specific moments like this from past eps, unless it's something I've watched fairly recently.  So, with that in mind, I put this in the episode thread, but I'll add it here also.  There's a moment in Swan Song when Sam is standing by the trunk of the impala right after they load up the demon blood.  Dean is talking to Bobby and looks over at Sam - and the look on Sam's face clearly shows his conflicting emotions: uncertainty and a good bit of terror at what he's getting ready to attempt.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, auntvi said:

The Man Who Knew Too Much: The tortured part of Sam's soul is barely recognizable as Jared/Sam

Oh, yeah, "The man Who Knew Too Much." I'm surprised I forgot that one myself - I blame the late hour and still recovering from vacation - because that is one of my favorite Sam and Jared episodes. In addition to Hell Sam, I thought Jared did a great job with Soulless Sam vs Regular/Amnesia Sam. The difference in posture and the way he moves as Soulless Sam is especially noticeable when the two of them are together onscreen.

• Love 4

Some of my favourite performances include:

The End: The way he conducts himself and plays Lucifer opposite Jensen's Dean is one of my favourites.  Subtle yet different than the way he portrays Sam.  He comes across as more arrogant and all knowing which could also be enforced by the dialogue.  My favourite part is probably when he gives a sly smile after being insulted by Dean and says "I like you Dean".

Swan Song:  Going with the theme of Lucifer, I always liked the scene where Lucifer is talking to Sam in the mirror.  Because you really see the differences in how he plays the characters.

Sacrifice:  I think the end of this episode displays how Jared is capable of more challenging emotional scenes.  I don't think I really need to elaborate, but it's probably my favourite emotional scene of his in the series.

My Brother's Keeper:  The scene at the end when he's looking up at Dean.  A more subtle emotional scene than in Sacrifice, but extremely effective from the look he gives Dean while looking up to him while he's on the ground to the single tear that zigzagged down his cheek.

• Love 4

On a sillier note, one of my favorites - even though it's SoullessSam, who is not my favorite - is in The Third Man when Cas shows up in the motel room and Sam imitates him.  "Hello?"  I just think that Jared's impression of Misha's Cas voice is spot on and hilarious!

• Love 4

I also love how he plays the scenes where Sam doesn't get whatever sexual innuendo Dean has said or that has come up in the conversation. For instance, the ball-washer scene in Plucky Pennywhistle or the fingering the clown scene in Everybody Loves a Clown. Plus that scene of them walking down the road in ELaC. And all the short-sleeves. Maybe just all of ELaC for both of them. 

And perhaps Sam's hair needs a mention here, too.

3d7f3e6702e24d92099dce344a08032f.jpg

Edited by bethy
because visuals for Sam's face while he said it and Dean's reaction were needed.
  • Love 3
On 8/8/2017 at 9:14 PM, RulerofallIsurvey said:

On a sillier note, one of my favorites - even though it's SoullessSam, who is not my favorite - is in The Third Man when Cas shows up in the motel room and Sam imitates him.  "Hello?"  I just think that Jared's impression of Misha's Cas voice is spot on and hilarious!

He nails that impression. 

Speaking of Soulless Sam, I'd like to add "Clap Your Hands If You Believe." Soulless Sam is hilarious in that one and at least two moments are Jared adlibs the "Do you have any bigger cups?" line and "Why didn't I do that sooner?" when he spills the salt at the end of the fight.

• Love 6

Jared really did a good job with so much of Soulless Sam. I loved the scene in that episode where he's on the phone with Dean, who is freaking out about being abducted, and Sam's all, "You better run," while signaling to the waitress that he wants another beer. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, bethy said:

Jared really did a good job with so much of Soulless Sam.

I agree.  I didn't appreciate it as much at the time I was first binge-watching the series.  But going back to watch S6 now, I am able to pick up the subtle differences Jared infused into Sam to show that something was not quite right with him, but not be too obvious.  

• Love 5
13 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Speaking of Soulless Sam, I'd like to add "Clap Your Hands If You Believe." Soulless Sam is hilarious in that one and at least two moments are Jared adlibs the "Do you have any bigger cups?" line and "Why didn't I do that sooner?" when he spills the salt at the end of the fight.

My favorite was the awkward "It's okay" pat on Dean's leg, trying to fake being sympathetic to get Dean to explain his ordeal.

That and "I'm not supposed to laugh, right?" will never not be funny to me.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

That and "I'm not supposed to laugh, right?" will never not be funny to me.

And, he was absolutely right to laugh.  How dare Dean make him feel wrong about that. LOL.  But, seriously, roles reversed, you know Dean would have been laughing his butt off.

• Love 2

I think one of Jared's best Soulless Sam moments is in All Dogs Go To Heaven when he's testing the waters to see just how far he can go with telling Dean the truth now that the cat's out of the bag that there is something very wrong with Sam. It's creepy and chilling and somewhat funny too. Before this episode, I felt a lot of the Soulless Sam was over-telegraphing overkill, but from this moment on, I think Jared--and the writers and directors--find a nice line to walk.

8 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

My favorite was the awkward "It's okay" pat on Dean's leg, trying to fake being sympathetic to get Dean to explain his ordeal.

Heh, "Safe room." ;)

• Love 1

Sam trying to act in The French Mistake.  His reading the script and getting disgusted by the bad writing "No one says penultimate!"

"Seriously, lady: what the Hell?" in Changing Channels.

"At least I'll see it coming!" with a nod as he sprints out the door in Plucky Pennywhistle.

• Love 4
On 8/12/2017 at 8:56 AM, mertensia said:

Sam trying to act in The French Mistake.  

Oh, I adore the part where Dean says "Don't look at the camera" and the next take, Sam is looking up all over the place while he says his lines!  I laugh out loud every time I watch that.

• Love 4

My favorite bit from Sam's acting was the completely earnest delivery of "If there is a lock, there must be  a key...I would imagine" because that's when the script supervisor starts looking through the pages and realizes "Jared" is just making shit up and MO Sam is trying to apply their hunter logic to that scene.

I don't know why but that makes me laugh harder than anything else in that bit.

• Love 5

Even during the bit where Dean is in the foreground, saying his line first, in the background Jared manages to make Sam look absolutely terrified about having to say his line next.  

On a more serious note: I think the award for Jared's creepiest SoullessSam portrayal goes for Live Free or Twihard.  That icky smile when he watches Dean get turned...  And when Samuel calls Sam out for knowing about the cure, Jared does a really good job of trying to look innocent but not quite pulling it off.  I either read or saw some commentary about Jared's SoullessSam portrayal, and if I remember (and what I read/heard was right) Jared wasn't given a lot of direction about how to play Sam with out his soul.  It was pretty much all up to him to figure it out.  So, I've got to say, he did a great job!

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

On a more serious note: I think the award for Jared's creepiest SoullessSam portrayal goes for Live Free or Twihard.

Oh, I don't know, I kinda think he's waaay creepier in Caged Heat when he bites his arm to make a devil's trap out of his own blood. Although, it's probably a close race on these.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Oh, I don't know, I kinda think he's waaay creepier in Caged Heat when he bites his arm to make a devil's trap out of his own blood. Although, it's probably a close race on these.

Oh, I'd forgotten about that one.  I just watched Live Free last night, so it was still fresh in my mind.  Yeah, I don't know - both of those scenes are pretty creepy.  That might be a tie, imo.

• Love 1

I still think Jared's best work was as Samifer in The End.

He was so perfectly smug, threatening in a quiet way. That monologue could have been really one note, but Jared peppered it with interesting moments of Lucifer being charming with, and amused by Dean at first. Then some genuine concern and puzzlement that Dean would be afraid of him.  And then trying to convince Dean or maybe really believing that he was treated unjustly by God and thinking Dean would somehow side with him.  But through it all, there was a menace underlying all those tactics.  And I also thought he put little "Sam" moment in with the puppy dog eyes. Like he had been wearing Sam so long that he had incorporated some of Sam's manner into him. So good.

• Love 2

Did Jared know Sam was without a soul from the beginning? It seems like he'd have to, but it also seems like actors sometimes get left in the dark about important aspects of their characters.

9 minutes ago, bethy said:

Did Jared know Sam was without a soul from the beginning? It seems like he'd have to, but it also seems like actors sometimes get left in the dark about important aspects of their characters.

IIRC, he said Sera called him during the hiatus to tell him what the deal was going to be.

39 minutes ago, bethy said:

Yes, Jared knew. I guess during the hiatus Jared dropped by the writer's room--if I remember right, to congratulate Sera on her new position--and they told him Sam would come back soulless. Jared said he was really terrified by it all at first because they basically told him they were leaving it up to him to decide what that would look like.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

Yes, Jared knew. I guess during the hiatus Jared dropped by the writer's room--if I remember right, to congratulate Sera on her new position--and they told him Sam would come back soulless. Jared said he was really terrified by it all at first because they basically told him they were leaving it up to him to decide what that would look like.

And that's what annoys me so much about it.  In Family Matters, Cas basically said, or at least implied, that soulless people have no emotions.  But, sometimes Sam was scared. Fear is an emotion.  Sometims he was cold and scary.  Other times he was just funny and clueless.  That's why I'm glad it didn't last any longer than it did, and would have been happier had it never happened.