Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm only in it to live-post the red carpet with you guys, and the opening monologue. After that, I turn it off. I haven't seen a movie in time for it to be nominated in years--I haven't even seen last year's films. 

• Love 2

I think the other problem is there are so many more award shows now that by the time The Oscars roll around, everyone is burnt out and there are no surprises in the nominations or winners. Unless, of course, the wrong envelope is read! 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Lastly, they run for 4 plus hours and on a Sunday to boot.  I used to take bets on how close to midnight the show would run till.

I've told this story on here before but, several years ago Mr. Moving and I has just watched the Best Supporting Actor award passed out.  He went into the bathroom to brush his teeth and somehow cut the hell out of his finger on the medicine cabinet.  We got dressed and took the 40 minute drive to the ER.  Mr. Moving was triaged, had Xrays and was given several stitches,  We then drove the 40 minutes home.  When we got there we turned on the TV to see who won what.  The Oscars was STILL on and they presented 4 more Oscars after we got back from the ER.  So,yeah, the telecast goes on a bit too long.

I don't know why the Oscars aren't on Saturday nights so people can stay up to watch them?  The same goes with the Superbowl. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I think the other problem is there are so many more award shows now that by the time The Oscars roll around, everyone is burnt out and there are no surprises in the nominations or winners. Unless, of course, the wrong envelope is read! 

My problem this year is that there doesn't seem to be much suspense. The same four actors won at pretty much every televised award show, the same director did too. The only place there is some suspense is, like last year, best picture.

4 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

run for 4 plus hours and on a Sunday to boot.  I used to take bets on how close to midnight the show would run till.

It's better than Monday night, I did not like that at all.

We used to be able to see pretty much all nominated movies but since our daughter came around it's much harder to see movies. This year all we've seen in the theater is Black Panther, the one before that was Star Wars VIII, and the next one will probably be Infinity War. It really makes the award season less enjoyable for me.

12 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

My problem this year is that there doesn't seem to be much suspense. The same four actors won at pretty much every televised award show, the same director did too. The only place there is some suspense is, like last year, best picture.

There's a bunch of suspense there alright, although to be fair it's really only a horserace between three of the nine movies (and I'm only really including Get Out in that three because a win from it could be the result of a massive FU to the Hollywood establishment).

• Love 2

Another problem- not as many of us go to the movies as much anymore, we wait until it comes on Netflix.  I used to see everything nominated and I would host an Oscar viewing party.   I still watch but so many say they don't anymore.

47 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

I don't know why the Oscars aren't on Saturday nights so people can stay up to watch them?  The same goes with the Superbowl. 

Totally agree.  There must be strong reason but have never heard why Sunday. 

I love Jimmy Kimmel and record him every night but I don't think he is a strong host.  His shtick does not read on an award show.  

Tina Fey and Amy Polar were excellent hosting the Golden Globes.  Bring them back for this one next year.  Ricky Gervais was another favorite of mine but not that popular with many!   :>) 

• Love 6
(edited)

Red Carpet time! Giuliana isn’t even on the Red Carpet. And she was showing off her jewelry and did not have a wedding ring on-wonder if there’s anything to that. 

Edited by chitowngirl

Supposedly, one reason the ceremony is on Sunday is to avoid traffic jams in LA on a Monday.  And on Sundays, the ceremony starts at 8:00 Eastern rather than 9:00 Eastern as when it was on Monday nights.  

• Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, childeroland said:

Sofia Carson did.

She is the only person I’ve seen interviewed after 40 minutes on the air. Since ABC has started coverage, is E! allowed to interviewed anyone live? Perhaps they will just show people?

We get 2 ABCs on my cable. One is showing Red Carpet, the other is showing a Yoga Retreat infomercial!

Edited by chitowngirl

Tina Fey and Amy Polar were excellent hosting the Golden Globes. 

I didn't think they were that great. I love 30 Rock. I love Tina in general. I haven't watched Parks and Rec but putting them together I think they're a little too self-satisfied. And Poehler's bit with Seth was PAINFUL. I think part of the issue is a lot of comedians have an improv background. And that's not great when it's not a movie where you can cut out all the jokes that didn't land.

This is an overthinkingit.com quote but the Oscars will always be weird. It's a stage show about movies filmed for TV. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Chas411 said:

I literally just switched onto E as I don't have ABC. Has anyone arrived? Giulianna and two others were mocking Faye Dunaway.

No, not yet. 

I'm torn on this issue because I've been watching E! for years. Sure, no one there is competent except Seacrest (and then, just barely) but they really do get the best coverage of the fashion which is all I care about. I'm not there for their interview skills. But with all their shenanigans they really do give you the best impression of the fashion. 

All the network red carpet coverage just feels messy. I always feel like there's too much emphasis on the terrible interviews and I barely get a look at the clothes. They've been campaigning for months and there are already plenty of late night interviews, youtube comedy clips, and print/online articles for me to read. I don't need to watch these awkward muppets try and ask something relevant. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Neeners said:

Woh. I thought Peter Fonda had died a while ago, for some reason, but there he is talking about Palm Springs. 

Maybe you were thinking of the dad. I get everyone confused. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Since Joan isn't around to ask "Who are you wearing? " I'm asking everyone "what are you wearing?" I am currently garbed in a torn teal-colored T shirt from Champion, grey sweat pants (well, shorts) from Just My Size, and comfy socks in a Fair Isles design from parts unknown.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 5