Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

Why was Busy Phillips at the front row? Because she was with Michelle Williams who was nominated.

Anyways, who's that woman between Ben and Meryl?

Seat filler.  When a presenter has to go back stage they put in seat fillers so there is never an empty chair shown on tv.  It is actually a very coveted job during awards season.  You get paid pretty good money, wardrobe is provided, and you get to hobnob with celebrities.

• Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, JenMD said:

The woman on Ben's left could be a seat filler, as Halle Berry was seated next to Meryl at the start of the show.  She could be a new girlfriend, but I feel like the media would have jumped all over that; she's not his wife as he's still married to Jennifer Garner.  There was a brunette woman sitting on Halle's other side (in what became Ben's seat); either she came and went with Halle (as Halle's guest) or was a seat filler, as well. 

OK, now I'm gonna have to check my DVR to see whether Affleck was in the front row when the ceremony started.  Maybe he was a seat-filler by this time as well?!?

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback to my questions.

ETA:  Affleck must have moved to the front after he presented.  For the opening, Halle Berry was sitting next to Meryl,  with another dark-haired woman on her other side, then Busy Phillips and Michelle Williams.

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ProudMary said:

it made the decision due to throngs of people congregating outside Cullinan's and Ruiz's respective homes.

What the heck, people are showing up at their homes? Why? And where did they even find where they lived? 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

Interview with the stage manager. An interesting read. This is inexcusable, and reason enough for them to be fired from this job:

So she didn't even realize the wrong winner had been called, even though she was supposed to have them memorized? Even if she wasn't the one to hand out the wrong envelope, yeah, she deserves to be removed from the assignment.

Well that's terrible.

But as a designer/researcher - the font size and lack of contrast on the envelope is STILL inexcusable.  As was the design on the card.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Artsda said:

Nate Parker was arrested and tried on trial for gang rape. Which the other person on trial with him was convicted. There's actual facts from the trial. 

That is nothing like the same of a straight to civil suit that never had any charges filed and there's no facts about.

One could argue that the reason Affleck's case was handled in a civil suit and not an actual criminal trial is also due to his white male privilege.

8 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Yeeesh, it's just getting uglier for PWC. It looks like the partners are even clueless on what to do even though they claimed there are "protocols" to follow if the worst thing ever happens. It's amateur hour for PWC, not only with the not paying attention, but the seeming lack of urgency afterwards - might as well have sent in the cheap interns and maybe the situation would have been handled a tad better.

The previous Senior Partners on the engagement would have never let this happen.  A real shame.

• Love 3

This seems really inexcusable on the part of the accountants. They have one job and they had to be forced on stage? I could tell they were hesitant to go to the mic, but this sounds even worse than it looked. And again, he thought they announced the wrong name? He didn't remember best picture winner? Especially when it was an upset.

6 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Accounting partner Cullinan was so busy Tweeting backstage, he screwed up handing out an envelope.

When this story came out I immediately thought of distracted drivers, operating motor vehicles while texting and Tweeting.

If this middle-aged guy couldn't handle an envelope (a stinking envelope!!!) while playing with his toy during a worldwide broadcast, I'm shocked any commuter makes it home alive.

/insert eyeroll/

I want them to make a new "don't text and drive" commercial based on this now. 

2 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

OK, now I'm gonna have to check my DVR to see whether Affleck was in the front row when the ceremony started.  Maybe he was a seat-filler by this time as well?!?

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback to my questions.

ETA:  Affleck must have moved to the front after he presented.  For the opening, Halle Berry was sitting next to Meryl,  with another dark-haired woman on her other side, then Busy Phillips and Michelle Williams.

He was up front when Casey won, he jumped up and hugged him. But I didn't see him anywhere before he presented, so maybe he did get to move after that.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, St. Claire said:

I would pay cash money to see this actually happen. Can you imagine the GIF potential? The super-slow-mo rewinds and replay, set to various pieces of music? Entertainment gold.

It would be just like the shooting scene in The Bodyguard with Kevin Costner rushing the stage to tackle Whitney Houston, lol.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, phoenics said:

This is ridiculous.  People need to get some damn perspective.

Yes, I agree about that. They screwed up announcing the winner, it's not exactly worthy of doing him physical harm.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, okerry said:

I think Cullinan is remaining silent for several reasons.

He's been removed from his plum post as Oscar Envelope Guy for PWC after massively, massively embarrassing them in the most public of ways. PWC has been in charge of this for over 80 years and never messed up until now. Until Cullinan.

It's true that no money is *directly* at stake - there's no money that goes along with the statue - but an Academy Award is worth huge bucks to anyone who can put "Oscar Winner" on their resume. So in that sense, yes, a whole lot of money is at stake. Kind of like the Olympic Games, where you don't win money directly but winning a medal literally pays off in other ways.

And Cullinan did this for the dumbest of reasons: He was busted Tweeting photos of hot actresses instead of paying attention to his One Job. And I still think he had Emma's envelope in his hand because he intended to keep it as a souvenir, and unfortunately tried to hold both that one and the Best Picture env in the same hand and gave the wrong env to Beatty. And then wouldn't step up and do anything about his mistake until far too late. 

Yeah, I'd hide, too. For a long, long time.

I have no need for an accounting firm, but if forced to name one I was familiar with it would be Price Waterhouse (later Coopers) solely through their exposure through the Oscars over my entire life.

Now their name is mud, and I wonder how such a high-profile cluster****  is going to affect their current, not to mention future, business.  If I were a PWC employee I would not be happy at all with Cullinan/Ruiz.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, phoenics said:

One could argue that the reason Affleck's case was handled in a civil suit and not an actual criminal trial is also due to his white male privilege.

Except that even the rumors about what Casey did was harassment not rape. The thing that did Nate Parker in is that more and more people actually saw the film and didn't like it. It got great early buzz but even before the scandal broke, by the way the guy who was convicted was the cowriter of the film, the buzz had started dying down because of reviews of the film. As noted above, Nate's pr campaign during the scandal did him absolutely no favors. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Except that even the rumors about what Casey did was harassment not rape. The thing that did Nate Parker in is that more and more people actually saw the film and didn't like it. It got great early buzz but even before the scandal broke, by the way the guy who was convicted was the cowriter of the film, the buzz had started dying down because of reviews of the film. As noted above, Nate's pr campaign during the scandal did him absolutely no favors. 

I wasn't arguing about Parker - I was stating that Casey's case being settled in a civil manner and not a criminal one could be due in part to his white male privilege.  That doesn't have anything to do with why Hollywood didn't let Parker off the hook for his issues.  Also - groping someone is still sexual assault and that's one of the things Affleck was accused of.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, topanga said:

I still don't understand why people are hanging around his house. Are they going to break in and do him harm?

Every once in a while a postal worker is fired or arrested after bags and bags of undelivered mail are found in the person's house.  Who knows why they do it.

Search the accountants' houses for Oscar envelopes and we just may find out that Mad Max Fury Road was the real Best Picture winner last year.

The idea is just crazy enough to be a Hollywood movie.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Or there was no evidence/proof/case for anything. There wasn't even at an attempt of the cops being called, no police report filed, just nothing. Compared to other male actors we could say is white privilege like Sean Penn or Johnny Depp they at least still had reports filed even if the reports went nowhere.

• Love 3

For the next major awards ceremony snafu, the presenter will hesitate just a little too long to pronounce the winner's name, thereby leading one of the accountants to make a running jump on to the stage, yelling "Nooooooooooooooooooo!" while body slamming the announcer to the ground.

Only for it to turn out that the announcer had the correct envelope, but just need to clear his/her throat.

I can definitely see that being a joke at the MTV movie awards or something... whatever's next up before everyone gets bored of this story.

• Love 1

Changing the subject a bit from EnvelopeGate and HarrassmentGate...did anybody think it was slightly bad form for Casey not to acknowledge Ben in his thank you speech? I'm glad he won--I loved him in the movie, and thought his performance Oscar-worthy for sure--but I felt he should have mentioned his brother, just to acknowledge the love and support if for no other reason. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

Changing the subject a bit from EnvelopeGate and HarrassmentGate...did anybody think it was slightly bad form for Casey not to acknowledge Ben in his thank you speech? I'm glad he won--I loved him in the movie, and thought his performance Oscar-worthy for sure--but I felt he should have mentioned his brother, just to acknowledge the love and support if for no other reason. 

According to Kimmel in the Bill Simmons podcast linked above, Affleck was absolutely stunned that he won and had no speech prepared. It really was a more off the cuff, OMG what just happened kind of speech. Kimmel said that Affleck was really more upset that he hadn't thanked his kids.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

He did. He closed his speech saying "Ben I love you. You ain't heavy."

• Love 1
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Stampiron said:

He did. He closed his speech saying "Ben I love you. You ain't heavy."

Oh! Thank you, @Stampiron. I didn't hear that, and it was troubling me. (Way more than it should have.) 

Edited to add: Just read @TobinAlbers post, which seems to indicate that he didn't thank Ben. (If he was "more upset" that he hadn't thanked his kids, that strongly implies there was some other family member he'd failed to thank and was less upset about.) So I don't know who to believe. :)

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

Affleck was absolutely stunned that he won and had no speech prepared.

He certainly came across that way, but didn't he know he was still the front-runner (or close behind Denzel) going into the ceremony?  At least that was my impression.

Every additional tidbit that comes out regarding the PwC folks and their major SNAFU continues to astound me.  Thanks for the links!

To be fair, has Ben ever thanked Casey in any of his acceptance speeches?  Ironically Ben is the much bigger star but Casey is the far superior actor.  I think it is nice that he thanked Ben but I wouldn't of held it against him if he didn't. 

• Love 2

Y'know, I sort of wish the cover was just Jenkins, and that this one was used to accompany the article inside. I want Barry Jenkins to get his Oscar moment without anyone from La La Land standing next to him.

• Love 20
46 minutes ago, St. Claire said:

Y'know, I sort of wish the cover was just Jenkins, and that this one was used to accompany the article inside. I want Barry Jenkins to get his Oscar moment without anyone from La La Land standing next to him.

That would be nice but the two of them will be invariably linked to one another from now till eternity, whether they like it or not.

Thanks PWC.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think the cover was just supposed to be the Best Director winner (Chazelle) but after the fiasco at the Oscars Chazele invited Barry Jenkins to be on the cover with him

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 8
42 minutes ago, JustaPerson said:

I think the cover was just supposed to be the Best Director winner (Chazelle) but after the fiasco at the Oscars Chazele invited Barry Jenkins to be on the cover with him

That makes two mensches from La La Land.

• Love 14
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:47 PM, topanga said:

How was anyone in the general public affected by the incorrect announcement?

Well, I took a lot of flak for incorrectly predicting that a young person made the mistake before we all found out it was Cullinan's sorry old, wrinkly ass. 

17 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

That makes two mensches from La La Land.

Yes, that cover is a beautiful thing.  All things considered, I think this year's Academy Awards has shown the people in the industry in a very, very good light. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Oh! Thank you, @Stampiron. I didn't hear that, and it was troubling me. (Way more than it should have.) 

Edited to add: Just read @TobinAlbers post, which seems to indicate that he didn't thank Ben. (If he was "more upset" that he hadn't thanked his kids, that strongly implies there was some other family member he'd failed to thank and was less upset about.) So I don't know who to believe. :)

Sorry, for the confusion. I didn't see the acceptance speech to note what Casey said exactly; only listened to Kimmel on the podcast and he mentioned talking to Casey and how Casey was shocked he won and had not had a speech prepared and so was upset that he forgot to mention his kids.

• Love 3
On 3/1/2017 at 0:18 PM, TheOtherOne said:

Wow. Now Variety has pictures from backstage of the minutes leading up to the mixup, with Cullinan tweeting away (and with two envelopes in his possession).

I hope the next time Emma Stone hosts SNL they do a sketch about her fiendish Mata Hari-style plot to seduce the Price Waterhouse executive and steal the Best Picture award for her film.

On 3/2/2017 at 0:52 PM, St. Claire said:

I would pay cash money to see this actually happen. Can you imagine the GIF potential? The super-slow-mo rewinds and replay, set to various pieces of music? Entertainment gold.

Sorry Vanessa Redgrave, the Academy can't take any chances with the possibility of you going rogue!

• Love 5
On 2/27/2017 at 3:51 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

The millennial bashing always cracks me up. People will find absolutely any reason and any excuse to place the blame for everything on millennials! 

Or apparently the elderly 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, JBC344 said:

To be fair, has Ben ever thanked Casey in any of his acceptance speeches?  Ironically Ben is the much bigger star but Casey is the far superior actor.  I think it is nice that he thanked Ben but I wouldn't of held it against him if he didn't. 

Yes Ben did thank him. When Casey won the GG, he didn't thank Ben and it became a thing. http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2017/01/10/ben-affleck-definitely-noticed-casey-did-not-thank-him-golden-globes-speech/96387270/ I think Casey had to thank him. lol

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Yes Ben did thank him. When Casey won the GG, he didn't thank Ben and it became a thing. http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2017/01/10/ben-affleck-definitely-noticed-casey-did-not-thank-him-golden-globes-speech/96387270/ I think Casey had to thank him. lol

Yeah, I remember that sort of being a fun silly thing that the brothers have joked about publicly.  I just think ultimately this is a topic because Ben is a big/the bigger star of the family.  I mean is it really that customary to always thank your sibling(s) in an acceptance speech. 

I just think there is a level of condensation in regards to Casey, like I mentioned before Ben is the bigger star so I think some people always feel like Casey should naturally always thank him, as if to say that Ben is the reason for his career.  I just find it ironic because Casey is the far better actor of the two and has carved out his own career on his own terms.  One very different from his brother which I think is nice.   

• Love 4
(edited)
11 hours ago, JBC344 said:

I just find it ironic because Casey is the far better actor of the two...

Taking nothing away from Casey (who I thought was fantastic), I just have to speak up in a small voice for Ben's performance in Gone Girl. That convinced me that with the right director, Ben can be pretty darned good.

I'm glad Casey mentioned Ben in his Oscar speech, but not because it's in any way obligatory to mention siblings. More a case of what--in the context of these two particular siblings--the public wants to hear. Ben the older brother, Ben with many more acting notches under his belt, Ben the established Hollywood power player--when a little brother chooses the same career, we want to conceive of that little brother having been inspired to follow in his big brother's footsteps. Doesn't matter if they never even speak! Doesn't matter if they themselves don't give a crap who mentions who. That's the story we want to believe in. That's the story we demand to believe in! Casey, in thanking Ben, helps us believe it.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Taking nothing away from Casey (who I thought was fantastic), I just have to speak up in a small voice for Ben's performance in Gone Girl. That convinced me that with the right director, Ben can be pretty darned good.

I'm glad Casey mentioned Ben in his Oscar speech, but not because it's in any way obligatory to mention siblings. More a case of what--in the context of these two particular siblings--the public wants to hear. Ben the older brother, Ben with many more acting notches under his belt, Ben the established Hollywood power player--when a little brother chooses the same career, we want to conceive of that little brother having been inspired to follow in his big brother's footsteps. Doesn't matter if they never even speak! Doesn't matter if they themselves don't give a crap who mentions who. That's the story we want to believe in. That's the story we demand to believe in! Casey, in thanking Ben, helps us believe it.

Wow, people were really expecting all that? Interesting.  I agree with you that Ben is a good actor, my point was that Casey being the better actor of the two makes the whole thing rather ironic.  "Little brother conceding to big brother/bigger star, when "Little Brother" is in fact better at said profession.

I would much rather like to think that Casey thanked Ben, because he loves and is close to his brother than an expectation that others have for him to make a public thank you.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

Wow, people were really expecting all that? Interesting.  I agree with you that Ben is a good actor, my point was that Casey being the better actor of the two makes the whole thing rather ironic.  "Little brother conceding to big brother/bigger star, when "Little Brother" is in fact better at said profession.

I would much rather like to think that Casey thanked Ben, because he loves and is close to his brother than an expectation that others have for him to make a public thank you.

Well, of course when I say people, I mean me. :)

(But I think I must not be alone.)

I agree with you that a heartfelt thank you is best. Not only because it's "nice," but because an un-heartfelt thank you doesn't even accomplish the goal of fooling people into thinking you like your brother.

• Love 2
On 2/27/2017 at 2:13 PM, CaughtOnTape said:

I dunno if anyone needs to lose their job over it.  It's just a damn movie.  There are starving people in the world.

But nothing will ever be funnier than Warren Beatty coming forward to explain it wasn't his fault.

Great way to end the show.

You must not have elderly people in your life to not understand that every tiny mistake they make is fodder for ridicule because they are "senile."  And how bad it makes them feel that they are not as sharp as they once were.  Yep funniest moment of the night.

On 2/27/2017 at 2:46 PM, Moose135 said:

Or let senior accountants give out the envelopes with the winner's name...

No, let the elderly waste away in nursing homes as they are worthless humans, notwithstanding that this was the first time anything like this ever happened.

On 2/27/2017 at 2:51 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

The millennial bashing always cracks me up. People will find absolutely any reason and any excuse to place the blame for everything on millennials! 

But bashing the elderly is hilarious!! 

• Love 5
On 3/3/2017 at 4:05 PM, JudyObscure said:

Well, I took a lot of flak for incorrectly predicting that a young person made the mistake before we all found out it was Cullinan's sorry old, wrinkly ass.

You've heard what happens when you assume, right?

Do asses begin to wrinkle in one's 50's? I'm a millennial, so I have no idea. 

• Love 6
(edited)

You've heard what happens when you assume, right?

About a thousand times.  It always reminds me of, "There's no I in team."

I still don't know exactly what age a millennial is, I've never used the term.  I just said "young" because, at first, everyone was saying that Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty messed up because they were so old and senile.  Several generations are younger than they are.

I honestly don't know at what age the average ass begins to wrinkle. I was making a joke through exaggeration.  You'll have to do your own research if you really want to know.

Edited by JudyObscure
On 2/27/2017 at 6:15 AM, JudyObscure said:

Why has this never happened before?  Because, for the first time,  the person handing out the cards was probably of the latest generation who has been messing up all his/her life and always told, "Don't worry about it.  We all make mistakes.  Be proud of yourself!  You did your best!"   So why be nervous and extra careful about which envelope you're holding?  The important thing is to have fun and check out all the stars, right?   I see it everywhere now and I expect we'll see lots more of it in years to come, because they are here.  We raised them  to be careless about everything they do because they know they'll be instantly forgiven and even hugged and praised for doing their best.  This was "only" the Oscars but it took the shine off the winners' moment.   Just hope one of them isn't your doctor, or your lawyer or like the very  young financial manager my parents hired who lost them over $100,000.  He apologized beautifully.

As seen here in your original post you definitely specifically said "latest generation" which does not jive with you now saying there are several generations younger than Beatty/Dunaway and that that's what you meant by "young".. I'm pretty sure you weren't talking about middle-aged folk ;)

• Love 3

Oh yes, I see.  It was a week ago early in the morning.  I guess I forgot my exact wording.  Well, I've learned something. I know a little about millennials now.  Some of them are very  unlike Gen X and Gen Y and the Baby Boomers, all of whom lie in between Warren Beatty and the present.  Some feel free to complain endlessly  about old geezers, I remember the daily shots at Barbara Walters for being "too old for TV'" when she was on The View, but any perceived criticism to themselves is met with a big flurry of upset and they will not give it up even after days and days and numerous apologies.

I'm pretty sure you weren't talking about middle aged folk. ;)

Actually I unintentionally was. The example I used about my parent's broker happened in the 1980's, he would be in his mid-fifties now. See where I said "we" raised them.  I was talking about me and my generation and the way we sort of over indulged our children.    My son will be fifty next month, about Cullinan's age.

• Love 1

I have heard and read a lot of people saying the best picture mistake did not allow the Moonlight cast/crew its moment.  I guess I look at it a different way...due to the mistake many people will remember this film for longer. IEan besides us oscar/movie fans on this topic, how many people remember what picture won last year, the year before or 5 years ago. But people will remember this mistake.  Despite its nominations, Moonlight was still a small little movie that did even make it into a lot of theaters out here in the small town where I live. Some around here just shrugged it off because it has no superheroes or explosions so it is not worth seeing. The mistake has gotten so much publicity that many more people out here were introduced to it and wanted to see it.

I  also agree with those of you who stated that Ben Affleck is a good actor when given the right story. I loved him on good will hinting, the town, Argo and Gone girl. Yes he has made stinkers but which actor has not.  Personally I love Ben the director. Gone Baby Gone, The Town and Argo were all great. In addition each film had nominated performances and 1 winning best picture. That makes him 3 for 3.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Poohbear617 said:

I have heard and read a lot of people saying the best picture mistake did not allow the Moonlight cast/crew its moment.  I guess I look at it a different way...due to the mistake many people will remember this film for longer.

That's where I am, too.

• Love 1
On 3/4/2017 at 5:59 PM, JudyObscure said:

About a thousand times.  It always reminds me of, "There's no I in team."

I still don't know exactly what age a millennial is, I've never used the term.  I just said "young" because, at first, everyone was saying that Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty messed up because they were so old and senile.  Several generations are younger than they are.

I honestly don't know at what age the average ass begins to wrinkle. I was making a joke through exaggeration.  You'll have to do your own research if you really want to know.

I understand where you're coming from, @judyobscure.  Let me liven things up with a quote from Jeanne Calment, the world's longest-lived documented human being:

"I only have one wrinkle, and I'm sitting on it."

She died in 1997 at the age of 122.  (She lived in Arles, France - and as a young girl sold paintbrushes to Vincent van Gogh.)  My personal heroine.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Poohbear617 said:

I have heard and read a lot of people saying the best picture mistake did not allow the Moonlight cast/crew its moment.  I guess I look at it a different way...due to the mistake many people will remember this film for longer. IEan besides us oscar/movie fans on this topic, how many people remember what picture won last year, the year before or 5 years ago. But people will remember this mistake.  Despite its nominations, Moonlight was still a small little movie that did even make it into a lot of theaters out here in the small town where I live. Some around here just shrugged it off because it has no superheroes or explosions so it is not worth seeing. The mistake has gotten so much publicity that many more people out here were introduced to it and wanted to see it.

I think it is both things.  From the perspective of the people in that room at that time, I think they did get robbed of their moment.  But I have to agree the mistake really did give them the sort of exposure they wouldn't have had without the mistake and will make them more memorable in the long term.

One thing I do notice kinda anecdotally is that in the aftermath, Viola Davis seems to the be the one winner of the major categories who feels like their win is being celebrated as a win, and not just as some addendum to the bigger story.  She's gotten a few cover stories in mags holding her Oscar.  Everyone else -- Emma Stone, Damian Chazelle, even Mahershala Ali to a lesser extent -- their wins all seem to be discussed as associated or an addendum to the bigger story.  Not surprising since they are all associated with the two films in question.  I mean he Best actress Oscar which is kinda typically a "belle of the ball" thing and now it seems like Emma's importance that night is  more linked to being the associated with the reason the mess up happened and not because she was a big winner.  And then there is Casey Affleck whose win feels really lost among everything else that went on.

• Love 1