Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, phoenics said:

I worked for PwC for many years as Head of Research and Design (left in 2013) and this made me sad on their behalf.  One battle I constantly fought there was in helping people see the power of design - the card was simply designed poorly.  The envelope was designed poorly too - the font on the envelope was in faint gold and it was too small.  What's worse is that they have a Design Team now who could have fixed this, but this isn't something the team would have even thought about - like I said - design wasn't really their thing and they really didn't fully understand the importance of it.  

NY Times reported that "The academy used a new envelope this year, featuring red paper with gold outside lettering that specifies the award inside."  This makes it sound like the Academy had control over  the envelope design, not PwC.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Simply put: widen her chances of winning. 

Yup. Like putting Kevin Spacey in supporting while he was in every scene of The Usual Suspects. It happens the other way too like Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs' less than 20 minutes of screen time giving him a best actor win.

• Love 3
Just now, Inquisitionist said:

NY Times reported that "The academy used a new envelope this year, featuring red paper with gold outside lettering that specifies the award inside."  This makes it sound like the Academy had control over  the envelope design, not PwC.

I still believe PwC does the printing though - it could be that the envelopes are printed by the Academy and PwC stuffs them, but I doubt it.  Based on what I know, PwC prints every nominee as though they won (so even the printer doesn't know) and then they stuff the envelopes themselves.  It's kept super secret - only the 2 Senior Partners out of the LA office responsible for the Academy Audit know who won.  

• Love 3

PwC comes across as looking really bad.  That partner should be taken off the engagement.  The firm was hired to tally the ballots, ensure the security and sanctity of the results envelopes, and deliver those envelopes to the appropriate people at the appropriate times.  They epically failed.  How ironic that a firm that is known for its professionalism is getting talked about because of the unprofessionalism of its lead engagement partner.  Instead of doing his job, he's standing in the wings like a fanboy, more focused on gawking at Emma Stone and tweeting pictures of her to show all of his "followers" how cool he is.  

If I were an audit client of this man, I would seriously consider asking for a new engagement partner.  This man is a professional and was paid to do a job.  He failed to do that job and instead spent time on personal infatuation and trying to boost his ego.  If he's my audit partner, and I'm paying him to run my audit, who knows what he might be doing.  He could be chatting up the hot young girl in accounts payable.  Or constantly going to the cafeteria to ogle the hot young cashier.

Has this man issued a personal apology yet?  I know the firm did, but did he?  If not, he should.

• Love 11

Academy issues its own apology for Oscars snafu.

The Academy of Motion Pictures has released an apology, 24 hours after the wrong film was announced as best picture winner. The organization that produces the Oscars said that PwC takes full responsibility for the embarrassing mistake.

The mistake occurred when Warren Beatty was given the wrong envelope and handed it to Faye Dunaway, who read the best picture winner as “La La Land.”

The statement reads: “We deeply regret the mistakes that were made during the presentation of the Best Picture category during last night’s Oscar ceremony. We apologize to the entire cast and crew of La La Land and Moonlight whose experience was profoundly altered by this error. We salute the tremendous grace they displayed under the circumstances. To all involved — including our presenters Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, the filmmakers, and our fans watching worldwide — we apologize.

For the last 83 years, the Academy has entrusted PwC to handle the critical tabulation process, including the accurate delivery of results. PwC has taken full responsibility for the breaches of established protocols that took place during the ceremony. We have spent last night and today investigating the circumstances, and will determine what actions are appropriate going forward. We are unwaveringly committed to upholding the integrity of the Oscars and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

http://variety.com/2017/film/awards/oscars-academy-apologizes-mistake-1201998411/

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, blackwing said:

PwC comes across as looking really bad.  That partner should be taken off the engagement.  The firm was hired to tally the ballots, ensure the security and sanctity of the results envelopes, and deliver those envelopes to the appropriate people at the appropriate times.  They epically failed.  How ironic that a firm that is known for its professionalism is getting talked about because of the unprofessionalism of its lead engagement partner.  Instead of doing his job, he's standing in the wings like a fanboy, more focused on gawking at Emma Stone and tweeting pictures of her to show all of his "followers" how cool he is.  

If I were an audit client of this man, I would seriously consider asking for a new engagement partner.  This man is a professional and was paid to do a job.  He failed to do that job and instead spent time on personal infatuation and trying to boost his ego.  If he's my audit partner, and I'm paying him to run my audit, who knows what he might be doing.  He could be chatting up the hot young girl in accounts payable.  Or constantly going to the cafeteria to ogle the hot young cashier.

Has this man issued a personal apology yet?  I know the firm did, but did he?  If not, he should.

I don't think so.  I agree that he should.

But to be fair - there are so many people doing checks and balances that it's unlikely one person could cause the kind of mistake we saw here during an audit.  There are so many checks and counter-checks - the work is pretty much done by the Managing Directors, Directors/Sr Mgr and below - the Partner is usually just managing the relationship with the clients to make sure the audits run smoothly, making sure the client is giving up all necessary information and listening for any signs of anything untoward possibly being in the books before signing off on all of the work and giving comfort.  And given the close relationship Partners have with their clients, I'm sure most of them are just having  fun rubbing this in for him a little bit.  Partners are known to golf and hang out regularly with clients as part of relationship building.  It's a fine line - you have to be close enough for the client to trust you, but objective enough to see any yellow/red flags.  

Also - this partner would be from the Audit line of business - which means they do internal audit (they basically work on the audit all year long onsite).  It's not the same as an external audit which happens when issues and problems are found and are much shorter engagements.  

Also - this guy has only been doing this for 3-4 years - he's not the stalwart the previous partners were (the ones I knew).  Those guys had been doing it FOREVER and weren't easily starstruck.  

And last - they can't fire him.  He's a partner - he'd have to be bought out.  I doubt that will happen - the worst that might happen is they find another partner to do his part next year.

Also - I do think folks should cut him a little slack.  Distractions happen and mistakes happen.  Hopefully they can tweak their process and make sure this never happens again.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

I think she was in it enough.  Judi Dench won for just like 8 mins of Shakespeare in Love.

Beatrice Straight still holds the record for shortest Oscar winning performance at 5 minutes and 2 seconds - Best Supporting Actress for Network.

• Love 3

Jimmy Kimmel explains what happened on his show. Apparently he was supposed to end the ceremony in the audience, doing one last gag with Matt Damon. But while they were waiting in the audience, Matt noticed the stage manager come onstage, which never happens, and said to Jimmy that he thought he heard someone say the wrong movie got the award. That's when they went back onstage. 

• Love 3

I just saw a clip on Extra.  A reporter approached Faye and asked what happened.  She said "I am not going to speak on that, Warren is the right one."  Her dismissive tone was pure diva bitch.  Wow.  So the reports on their friction (understatement) on the rehearsal set was true.  It was reported that thye had a dispute over who would read the movie title that won.  Warren finally conceded and said she could do it.  They had to rehearse separately because the tension was so intense.  

Makes me wonder if Warren decided to hand her the mistake on purpose, thinking he would leave the problem in her hands in a what the hell moment.  She bolted from the stage when the mistake became obvious.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

If there are two cards, why isn't there a designated place to put the "extra" after that category is announced? A big cardboard box labeled "Do not touch" would work.

Well, according to what was said, there essentially were.  There were two stacks.  One for all the presenters who were entering the stage from his side.  And one for those from the other side that weren't going to be used, but were just there "just in case" something happened to the card on the proper side.   It just sounds like the man was so distracted in between staring at Emma Stone and fiddling with his phone to take pictures and tweet.  He just had to get that tweet out so timely so people would know exactly what he was seeing and doing that he grabbed the top envelope from the wrong stack.  Oops.

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, phoenics said:

I don't think so.  I agree that he should.

But to be fair - there are so many people doing checks and balances that it's unlikely one person could cause the kind of mistake we saw here during an audit.  There are so many checks and counter-checks - the work is pretty much done by the Managing Directors, Directors/Sr Mgr and below - the Partner is usually just managing the relationship with the clients to make sure the audits run smoothly, making sure the client is giving up all necessary information and listening for any signs of anything untoward possibly being in the books before signing off on all of the work and giving comfort.  And given the close relationship Partners have with their clients, I'm sure most of them are just having  fun rubbing this in for him a little bit.  Partners are known to golf and hang out regularly with clients as part of relationship building.  It's a fine line - you have to be close enough for the client to trust you, but objective enough to see any yellow/red flags.  

Also - this partner would be from the Audit line of business - which means they do internal audit (they basically work on the audit all year long onsite).  It's not the same as an external audit which happens when issues and problems are found and are much shorter engagements.  

Also - this guy has only been doing this for 3-4 years - he's not the stalwart the previous partners were (the ones I knew).  Those guys had been doing it FOREVER and weren't easily starstruck.  

And last - they can't fire him.  He's a partner - he'd have to be bought out.  I doubt that will happen - the worst that might happen is they find another partner to do his part next year.

Also - I do think folks should cut him a little slack.  Distractions happen and mistakes happen.  Hopefully they can tweak their process and make sure this never happens again.

I know how it works in accounting firms, I was in one myself for many years.  I left when I was a senior manager, and I was in audit.  I agree with you that partners are often there just to be the client contact person and I know all about relationship building.

But as far as "mistakes are made and distractions happen".  I kind of disagree.  When mistakes are made, if they are bad enough, the firm gets fired.  I get that he's only been doing this for four years in this role, but it's not like it was his first time, and it's not like he's 22 years old.  He's in his 50s and is a seasoned professional.  He was paid to do a job and he failed.  I'm not saying the firm should fire him but they should definitely roll him off this engagement.  He had his chance and he blew it in perhaps the most embarrassing way possible.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I know how it works in accounting firms, I was in one myself for many years.  I left when I was a senior manager, and I was in audit.  I agree with you that partners are often there just to be the client contact person and I know all about relationship building.

But as far as "mistakes are made and distractions happen".  I kind of disagree.  When mistakes are made, if they are bad enough, the firm gets fired.  I get that he's only been doing this for four years in this role, but it's not like it was his first time, and it's not like he's 22 years old.  He's in his 50s and is a seasoned professional.  He was paid to do a job and he failed.  I'm not saying the firm should fire him but they should definitely roll him off this engagement.  He had his chance and he blew it in perhaps the most embarrassing way possible.

Totally agree he should roll off to another engagement - the issue is who will replace him though.  Man I want to call some folks right now, lol.  Of course they wont be able to tell me a thing though.  

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I just saw a clip on Extra.  A reporter approached Faye and asked what happened.  She said "I am not going to speak on that, Warren is the right one."  Her dismissive tone was pure diva bitch.  Wow.  So the reports on their friction (understatement) on the rehearsal set was true.  It was reported that thye had a dispute over who would read the movie title that won.  Warren finally conceded and said she could do it.  They had to rehearse separately because the tension was so intense.  

Makes me wonder if Warren decided to hand her the mistake on purpose, thinking he would leave the problem in her hands in a what the hell moment.  She bolted from the stage when the mistake became obvious.  

Faye did comment, I think, to the Dailly Mail and said it wasn't Warren's fault.

I found this article about Brian Cullinan and it's even funnier when you see what he said prior to the Oscars about his job onsite and what would happen if there was an error.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/oscars/award-oscars-scapegoat-brian-cullinan-article-1.2983960

15 minutes ago, bannana said:

Faye did comment, I think, to the Dailly Mail and said it wasn't Warren's fault.

I found this article about Brian Cullinan and it's even funnier when you see what he said prior to the Oscars about his job onsite and what would happen if there was an error.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/oscars/award-oscars-scapegoat-brian-cullinan-article-1.2983960

Yes, I believe Faye settled into it not being his fault after gleaning some facts. That was the high road.  The interview I saw happened immediately after and she was NOT going there.  She wanted out of the blame.  When she got the picture she changed her tune. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, wings707 said:

Yes, I believe Faye settled into it not being his fault after gleaning some facts. That was the high road.  The interview I saw happened immediately after and she was NOT going there.  She wanted out of the blame.  When she got the picture she changed her tune. 

I think the quick interview she did where she said that was posted 18 hours ago, so not too long afterwards.

1 minute ago, bannana said:

I think the quick interview she did where she said that was posted 18 hours ago, so not too long afterwards.

No, what I saw was not an interview. It was a reporter catching a quick comment as she left. 

2 minutes ago, wings707 said:

No, what I saw was not an interview. It was a reporter catching a quick comment as she left. 

Sorry, I was confusing there.  I meant the Daily Mail item, where she said Warren was not to blame, was posted 18 hours ago.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I mentioned that upthread.  Glad to see I'm not the only one here who can remember when dinosaurs roamed the earth. :-)

They did!  Every night except Saturday, when they were at home watching CBS...

• Love 6
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

I completely agree with that. He had one job: stand there and hand out the correct envelope(s) at the appropriate time(s), and his success or failure at that directly reflected upon his entire firm. The way this looks is that he thought it was more important to take and post a pic of Emma Stone on social media than to pay attention to his actual job at the exact time of the night/event when it was most important. To me, that definitely goes beyond the "everyone makes mistakes" category.

Edited by weathered1
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

She bolted from the stage when the mistake became obvious.  

She stayed onstage through the entire thing. She was off to the right side, but you see her whenever the camera goes wide. She can also be seen talking to one of the Moonlight people, once that group arrives onstage.

I noticed on a rewatch that the stage manager was actually grabbing the card from Beatty first. Horowitz saw and grabbed it himself. I think otherwise he'd have left it alone, since Beatty looked to be getting ready to hold the card up to the camera himself, as Horowitz wanted.

• Love 3

Gotta admit, this whole thing has made me like Kimmel somewhat. I surprisingly enjoyed his hosting of the Oscars. I think he handled the kerfuffle at the end very well, trying to smooth over the awkward situation. And he was honest about what happened on his talk show, explaining the situation and what he was doing.

Now I'm annoyed. Kimmel usually annoys the hell out of me. Someone help me, please.

• Love 3

"Who is this homeless man and how'd he get backstage? Security!"

10 hours ago, spiderpig said:

On the very imprtant subject of audience applause, did anyone notice Nicole Kidman's weird handclap during a cutaway to her after an award announcement?

NicoleKidmanClapping.jpg

Wow, she's giving me flashbacks to Bennings in The Thing.

9 hours ago, mojoween said:

I finally found the name of my new husband, Trevante Rhodes.  He is one of the Moonlight actors who also apparently is a model, because duh, the universe has EYES.

B99458974Z.1_20161102143852_000_G9A175N9

I recall my jaw dropping when I got my first look at him in the movie. What the hell were they were feeding Chiron in prison to turn him from gawky-looking Ashton Sanders into that?

On one of the entertainment news shows, they had footage where, just before Beatty and Dunaway walk out, you can see someone just behind the stage decorations running all the way from one side to the other. The show (it might have been Extra) implied that that was directly involved somehow with the screw up. 

15 hours ago, topanga said:

The man who looks like Matt Damon if he got stung in the face by a bunch of bees--he's a big boss?

ROTFL!!! Omigosh, my stomach hurts!

The Award for Funniest Comment goes to---------------> Topanga!

So wrong, yet so right.... Lol! Ow!

• Love 1

Nicole Kidman commented on the clapping, she said you try clapping with 500K of jewelry on. 

What in the hell does that mean, Nicole?  What does that mean? Are they heavy? Then don't hold your hands up so high.  Are you worried they are going to slide off your wrists? Pretty sure your hands will prevent that.  It's like she just got Lee Press-On nails and is afraid of breaking them. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Quof said:

What in the hell does that mean, Nicole?  What does that mean? Are they heavy? Then don't hold your hands up so high.  Are you worried they are going to slide off your wrists? Pretty sure your hands will prevent that.  It's like she just got Lee Press-On nails and is afraid of breaking them. 

It's the rings. She's wearing large rings that have pave diamonds all around. She's trying not to clap and hit one against the other to avoid any of the small diamonds from falling out. It looks ridiculous and it could be avoided by choosing different jewelry but I've seen other celebrity women wearing many rings mention it.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2017-02/27/2/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane-03/anigif_sub-buzz-11821-1488182195-1.gif?output-format=mp4

Here is the exact moment he realized that they hadn't really won. It must be hard to have such a humiliating moment become part of the public consciousness like this. 

So the third guy knew they lost even before he took the stage and started his speech.  I missed that earlier, I though he was overhearing in the background while he was speaking.  But from this he knew.  So he stood there with his Not!Oscar in his hand and made a speech thanking people knowing full well it was not his moment to take.  Talk about the anti-Horowitz.

I agree that Horowitz took the charge that the people IN charge didn't take.  Kudos.  While everyone else stood there with their thumbs up their asses, he made a decisive move that probably cut through what was shaping up to be at least 30 seconds more of hemming-hawing.  But I don't feel he needs to be hailed as a 'Hero.'  That is literally what some articles are calling him.  It is bad enough that what should have been a great moment for Moonlight's team has been tainted but now even the aftermath of it, all the articles are lionizing a guy who simply did what he was supposed to do.  Cookies, indeed.

10 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I love this so hard!  All the shocked reactions and then Ryan's Gosling's face -- like a held back giggle and a little bit of unholy glee.  As a sight gag this is excellent.

10 hours ago, phoenics said:

if I was the partner, I would have rushed onstage myself with the right card.  I've actually had to do something similar at another event - but nothing on this scale.

I assumed that is what is supposed to happen?  After all the rumors about Jack Palance reading the wrong name and Marisa Tomei not really winning (for the record I was thrilled with her win and thought she totally deserved it because she completely rocked in My Cousin Vinny) the Academy and PWC people did a series of interviews reassuring people that they'd never let a wrong name stand.  As a matter of fact one article I read said the PWC rep was empowered to immediately take the podium and announce the winner themselves.  And that 'they weren't shy' about it.

8 hours ago, bannana said:

So this is interesting because this makes it sound like he wasn't paying attention and instead was tweeting.  But it also kinda answers my earlier question about what took so long:

"Once the error occurred, protocols for correcting it were not followed through quickly enough by Mr. Cullinan or his partner,"

So apparently they have protocols for this but didn't follow them.

Finally, there is this interesting article in  Cosmo  that puts a little spin on optics of what went down that I hadn't even considered. 

Since the Oscars are so political and given the what is going on with diversity and racial politics & the reasons people like to give for Cheeto's election win, this line in the article kinda stood out to me:

In many cases, it will look like black people coming on stage to take away the very awards that white people presumed they would win and prepared themselves to receive.

It speaks to the anxiety that some whites have around the issues of diversity.  The feelings that POC are coming in to 'take' what is normally theirs, things they didn't rightfully deserve and are only granted because of 'PC' policies.  And to see a sort of visual representation of that on stage is really a rather interesting take.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

It speaks to the anxiety that some whites have around the issues of diversity.  The feelings that POC are coming in to 'take' what is normally theirs, things they didn't rightfully deserve and are only granted because of 'PC' policies.  And to see a sort of visual representation of that on stage is really a rather interesting take.

This right here is why the whole thing upsets me - I'd be horrified if this could be used in any way to support the continual white anxiety that literally oppresses everyone else.  Plus, Moonlight WON.  They didn't take anything at all - the fact that this could be seen that way hurts and upsets me just as much as when I earn something amazing or another black or PoC does and all some bitter people can do is claim that we only got it because of Affirmative Action or because we're being "diverse" or PC.

When I think of how so many of us (cue the Scandal Papa Pope diatribe) have to be 10 times as good just to break even, it infuriates me even more.  I had to have a PhD and years of experience to get the job and title I got - and I'm seeing folks much younger (straight out of school) being given a huge leg up I never would have had with just a bachelor's.  The Moonlight film was a triumph of story - not just a "black gay" story, but a STORY!  Where black people are actually centered!  I'm still sad their moment was tainted with this.

I really hope people aren't using that in that way - even though I know there are probably some people (a lot) who feel exactly like what you described.  Even before the snafu, I saw folks on twitter complaining about Mahershala's win - like he just got it because he's black and they're trying to dissuade the #OscarsSoWhite stuff - but he didn't REALLY deserve it...  Insert rolling eyes gif.

Well ... now I'm depressed, lol.

• Love 23
26 minutes ago, vibeology said:

It's the rings. She's wearing large rings that have pave diamonds all around. She's trying not to clap and hit one against the other to avoid any of the small diamonds from falling out. It looks ridiculous and it could be avoided by choosing different jewelry but I've seen other celebrity women wearing many rings mention it.

Miss Sibley taught us polite clapping in 4th grade music class.  Palms are crossed, not lined up finger to finger.  (How did Nicole get her fingers to bend back that far, anyway?  Is she a contortionist or double-jointed?  I've been trying to replicate her finger positions and I guess I'm just not that flexible.)

• Love 5

Kimmel's part in this bothered me.  I agree Horowitz took charge when the people whose job it was did not, but being told it was nice of him to agree to transfer the award to the correct recipient sounds like he was doing the Moonlight people a favor.  Again, that's all on Kimmel.  Horowitz was the only one up there doing what needed to be done.  The producers and accountants dropped the ball. 

Quote from Washington Post:

----

Kimmel then turned to Horowitz.

“I would like to see you get an Oscar, anyway,” he said. “Why can’t we just give out a whole bunch of them?”

But Horowitz quickly demurred: “I’m going to be really proud to hand this to my friends from ‘Moonlight.’”

“That’s nice of you,” Kimmel said.

---

And again, I don't understand why the two people who should have known immediately that the wrong card had been read, did not run out on stage and stop things before the LLL people even got out of their seats.  That's completely on them.  Maybe they felt they didn't have the right to do that, but you're responsible for this.  You need to act to correct it as soon as possible, not wait around and play telephone backstage.

• Love 9

Miss Sibley taught us polite clapping in 4th grade music class.  Palms are crossed, not lined up finger to finger.  (How did Nicole get her fingers to bend back that far, anyway?  Is she a contortionist or double-jointed?  I've been trying to replicate her finger positions and I guess I'm just not that flexible.)

As someone who gets screengrabs on a regular basis, or just sometimes takes photos of people in motion, weird things can happen when a camera tries to take a still image of someone who's moving. Side note on the screengrabs thing... if you ever need an unflattering photo of someone...

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

No but he could have walked off the stage and let the host, Oscar producers and Warren Beatty handle it. Instead, he stepped up.  I know some think he maybe should have let Warren handle it but IDA.  I think having a LLL person do it was making the best out of a bad situation. 

Agree completely. Horwitz was a mensch, as we Jews like to say. Would have been the easiest thing in the world for him to let someone else handle it. Instead, he not only stepped up, he sincerely professed how glad he was to be able to help set things right for "his friends at Moonlight." That wasn't someone just giving lip service to doing the right thing, that wasn't somebody merely refraining from saying "no backsies," that was someone doing something personally difficult and painful and yet doing it gladly because he knew it was right. And helping create unity where there easily might have been ugly disunity. Would that there were more people like that in the world.

And Barry Jenkins' acceptance speech was also a model of menschiness.

• Love 20
On 2/27/2017 at 3:13 PM, CaughtOnTape said:

I dunno if anyone needs to lose their job over it.  It's just a damn movie.  There are starving people in the world.

But nothing will ever be funnier than Warren Beatty coming forward to explain it wasn't his fault.

Great way to end the show.

I respectfully disagree, on all counts. For one thing, because of Brian Cullinan's mistake-which involved him being so distracted by Emma Stone that he had to take a picture of her and post it on his Twitter feed (a picture that has since been deleted)- the makers of Moonlight were robbed of their well-deserved moment of triumph and IMO Cullinan should be fired for it. There are lots of things that are much funnier than Warren Beatty's trying to cover his own ass. It's also possible to care about two things at once, whether "starving people" are involved or not. Kudos to Jordan Horowitz for the way he handled it. He did the right thing in the right way. 

On another note, several of the men of Moonlight are the stars of Calvin Klein's Spring 2017 underwear campaign:

Calvin Klein Spring 2017 Men's Underwear Campaign

I heart Viola Davis. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

So the third guy knew they lost even before he took the stage and started his speech.  I missed that earlier, I though he was overhearing in the background while he was speaking.  But from this he knew.  So he stood there with his Not!Oscar in his hand and made a speech thanking people knowing full well it was not his moment to take.  Talk about the anti-Horowitz.

To be fair though, he was coaxed by the second guy. You can see him mouthing "no, no...". And his tone of talking wasn't from someone who knew they won. It was a sad rattling off of names to thank, compared to the highs in the speeches of the first and second guys. I think there was really just a lot of confusion going on around, it was just really hard to think straight and focus. I don't really fault anyone for this except PWC.

And psshh, that controversy about Tomei? If anything, if there ever was a "wrong" winner announced, I always thought it would be Mira Sorvino.

1 hour ago, sadiegirl said:

And again, I don't understand why the two people who should have known immediately that the wrong card had been read, did not run out on stage and stop things before the LLL people even got out of their seats.  That's completely on them.  Maybe they felt they didn't have the right to do that, but you're responsible for this.  You need to act to correct it as soon as possible, not wait around and play telephone backstage.

That's what bothered me too. It seemed like there was a good minute between when the winners were announced and the people going to stage, and that lady doing the announcing clearly said in the auditorium that LLL won. If the partners were really just by the side of the stage just before the presenters come out, wouldn't they be easily be able to tell anyone that it was wrong and to get the LLL people off stage as quickly as possible? And Horowitz's speech wasn't short either. I noticed the commotion only started when the second guy was almost done with his speech.

• Love 2

When the second producer beckoned him to the mic, though, he tried to wave it off. He didn't want to go up because he knew it was all a mistake. He very reluctantly went and gave his thanks, because, well, might as well. He was probably at a loss as to what they were all supposed to do now.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

ROTFL!!! Omigosh, my stomach hurts!

The Award for Funniest Comment goes to---------------> Topanga!

So wrong, yet so right.... Lol! Ow!

Ah, thank you. I was inspired by David Oyelowo, who said in a post-Oscars interview that he originally though it was Matt Damon running on stage. (He didn't say anything about bees, though. That cruelty is all mine). 

11 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I like this picture more:

Yes. This is my favorite picture of the four actor winners, mainly because I only have to see Casey Affleck's hand. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, sadiegirl said:

Per an interview that they gave a week ago, the accountants are supposed to scramble immediately if something goes wrong. Under Academy rules, they can even take the podium if need be. They're exactly the people who are supposed to fix it. 

Some of the rules they put in place seem ridiculously over the top. Each of them is driven separately, on a separate route to get to the theater. Plus, the briefcases chained to their wrists, like it's the nuclear football. 

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, TheOtherOne said:

From the article: 

No one has yet offered an explanation why the PwC accountants didn’t immediately correct the mistake, especially when Beatty was clearly confused and paused before showing the card to Dunaway, who announced, "La La Land!"

How did the PwC guy not realize that he still had one envelope in his briefcase?  While Beatty was fumbling around on stage, was Mr. PwC Chairman still busy ogling Emma Stone backstage?  What a clusterf*ck.

• Love 6