Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I saw this on TMZ.com:

Warren Beatty gave Faye Dunaway what she demanded during rehearsal ... the honor of reading the winner of Best Picture, and he watched as she failed in spectacular fashion.

Sources who were present at Saturday's rehearsal tell us, both Faye and Warren wanted to announce the winner and went back and forth, but eventually Warren backed off and Faye got her way.

In fact, we're told their rehearsal was contentious from start to finish ... they wouldn't go onstage together to block their walkout ... they did it separately.

Watch the clip closely ... you see Faye angling to get the envelope as Warren tries to make sense of it ... as if she fears he might jack the moment and read it himself. Warren didn't warn her ... he just passed the envelope.

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, weathered1 said:

^^ Yeah, I think Horowitz handled it (mostly) well, but what else was he supposed to do? It's not like he could've said, "No, the Moonlight people can't have it. You gave it to me - it's *mine.* No backsies!!"

No but he could have walked off the stage and let the host, Oscar producers and Warren Beatty handle it. Instead, he stepped up.  I know some think he maybe should have let Warren handle it but IDA.  I think it having a LLL person do it was making the best out of a bad situation. 

he was decisive in the midst of a lot of confused mingling from stage hands, hosts, winners-now-losers and Warren who likely was trying to figure out how to do the transition graciously/gracefully. 

Really, the only way to even approach a smoothish transition was for someone from LA La Land to do what he did.  And to sort of make it a positive moment by showing his respect and admiration for the winning movie instead of sneaking away in bewilderment, which, I think, no one would blame him for.

Hero?  No.  But he could have done a lot less and not be criticized.   Instead, he was both very professional and poised in an awkward situation that he had to unexpectedly  deal with.

ETA.  Or basically what the 3 posts above me said.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 20

He isn't getting praise for giving the award back he is getting praise for taking control of an uncomfortable/unfortunate situation that he found himself in the center of.

Now that I've seen the video, I had to chuckle that Jordan yoinked it from Warren Beatty's hand and held it up.  It would also explain why despite all the commotion, Jordan was very calm in saying "This is not a joke, you guys won."  I sort of hope that both sets of filmmakers do a movie together now.  They became tight during the award season, and now they're bonded in history.  

That TMZ story doesn't surprise me at all. Too bad Warren became the fall guy by default. 

• Love 5

Yes, that moment right there. And after seeing people bustling about behind the person at the mic, watching Horowitz's face and the way he slumped with the statue in his hand, that was the moment when I realized something very, very weird was happening.

• Love 1

I agree that the La La Land guy handled it well, certainly much better than Miss Colombia, who was crying and then later gave interviews saying she was humiliated and hurt.  But clearly, there was a mistake, the guy realised it, and did the only thing he could do.  I wouldn't say he is a hero, he just did what he could.  If anything, the way he just ripped the card out of Beatty's hands to show to the world was slightly rude.  But he certainly came across a lot better than that schlub who went on talking and thanking people while their was chatter in the background.  That guy was probably irritated that people were talking while it was "his moment".

I've always thought that when there are multiple people on the winning team, there should be a rule that says that only one person can speak.  It would move the show along faster.  They worked together as a team, they should designate one person to speak for the team.  I always find it funny when the third guy is standing there obviously waiting for his turn, then he starts talking and then the music starts and they get shuffled off the stage.

If anything, I suppose this snafu should finally and unequivocally put to rest the rumour that Jack Palance, being senile and drunk, gave the Oscar to Marisa Tomei just because he wanted to, and that the real winner was Vanessa Redgrave.  It's obvious that if that had happened, somebody from backstage would have run out to correct it, just like last night.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, blackwing said:

If anything, I suppose this snafu should finally and unequivocally put to rest the rumour that Jack Palance, being senile and drunk, gave the Oscar to Marisa Tomei just because he wanted to, and that the real winner was Vanessa Redgrave.  It's obvious that if that had happened, somebody from backstage would have run out to correct it, just like last night.

Oh no, for sure. These counts are required to be audited and that audit is required to be certified by the accountants. If there was a wrong count, or wrong winner announced, there are legal consequences for both the AMPAS and the firm hired to do the count. No matter what happens, someone will always correct the situation, no matter how humiliating it is for the other party. Being a party to a potential lawsuit trumps humiliation any day.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Since when is someone who is in their 40s and 50s a millennial? Please explain. As a millennial those ages are too old for our generation, but you know according to you I mess everything up because I am a millennial.

1.  I never used the word "millennial."

2. I said what you quoted (and said it was just a guess) early this morning before we heard the PWC people say that the only people who handled the envelopes were those two people who were over 40. Not having been there, I had guessed that the PWC people gave the envelopes to someone younger to hand out.

3.  I have said my guess was wrong several times already. It was what you call "speculation." A thousand pardons for offending the millennials, generation X, generation Y, the baby boomers and everyone else younger than I am. (Whatever age any of them are , I have no idea.) 

Yeah, but the issue after the 1998 Oscars was the show going on for so, so, so long, with the issue presumably being that people need to get up in the morning. I'm not sure how moving the show to Sunday makes that better than when it's on Monday. People have to get to bed Sunday night same way they do on Monday. Sunday is a big "TV gathering" night, but regular shows don't run until 11:30, 12am.

Back in 1998, not only did the Oscars air on Monday, they started at 6 pm (PST). While the Eastern time zone is the most important, the Western time zone has enough people to not be totally insignificant.

Moving the Oscars to Sunday also allowed them to start airing the show a half hour earlier (starting at 5:30). Most people don't work Sundays and the rush hour is less busy so a 5:30 start time is something they can make. On a weekday? Forget it.

Moving the start time to 5 pm or 4:30 (pre-show 4:30 or 4 pm) means fewer West Coast eyeballs at the start of the show. So, they have both the East and West coast give a little (a little early in the day for the start of the show for the Western viewers - a little late at the end for the Eastern viewers). The West doesn't get many allowances - we have to stay off of TV discussion sites and twitter starting 3 hours before most shows air if we don't want spoilers - so not having to start watching the Oscars in the middle of the afternoon is the concession we get. The Oscars are one of the few non-sporting shows that are simulcast across the country  (that doesn't even always happen for the Olympics). And it is even earlier in Honolulu than in LA.

Edited by kili
  • Love 5

Instead of limiting the happy winners' acceptance speeches (it's a huge fucking moment in their professional lives!), I'd much prefer they restrict the number of people who are allowed onstage for Best Picture. Jebus.

If I were charge of the world, I'd also let the In Memorium segment run as long as damned necessary.

Those two changes would probably add 15 min to the ceremony. To compensate, remove 30 minutes of unrelated junk. It might surprise the producers to hear that the majority of viewers tune in to (1) SEE WHO WINS and (2) rubberneck at the stars. Why do they think I want to watch a comedy/variety show? They'll probably schedule some plate spinners and Topo Gigio next.

Random factoid, brought to you by the Internet:
The Oscar telecast has won the most Emmys in history, with 47 wins and 195 nominations.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Constantinople said:

I also don't know why they spend so much time on Best Song since most songs nominated for an Oscar blow chunks.

The so-and-so inspired me clips were also a huge time suck.

But stuff like that will probably never change.

ITA. I thought JT opening the show was an improvement even though it went on for too long. Maybe a medley of the nominated songs at all at once, just have the performers come out back to back. Then again, if there's a hit song like "Let It Go" or a marquee performer like Lady Gaga, they'll want to milk that for ratings. But like you said, that stuff will probably never change.

• Love 3

Sal Mimeo was a gay actor. Given who is involved, my bet is that it was a douchey dude-bro jokey insult. Coz being gay is so funny and worthy of ridicule. Maybe I'm just overreacting. But that would be my guess.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, bannana said:

Anyone one know what Vince Vaughn meant when he referenced Sal Mineo in relation to Kimmel hosting?  I assume it was supposed to be shade of some sort, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

I assumed he was just saying he kinda looked like Sal Mineo: The later years or just referencing someone baby-faced as the opposite of Jimmy with the beard? Now I'm regretting that I replied because I'm not even sure what I'm talking about lol.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, bannana said:

Anyone one know what Vince Vaughn meant when he referenced Sal Mineo in relation to Kimmel hosting?  I assume it was supposed to be shade of some sort, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

That's right! It was an obscure reference, but I guess they kind of looked alike?

sal.JPG

• Love 1

Sal Mineo looks like Ralph Macchio's dad in that pic.

I finally found the name of my new husband, Trevante Rhodes.  He is one of the Moonlight actors who also apparently is a model, because duh, the universe has EYES.

B99458974Z.1_20161102143852_000_G9A175N9

• Love 21
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I don't know why the Oscars can't be on a Saturday.  Why must they always be on a Sunday?  Because of some tradition?  Traditions change.  If they can switch from "and the winner is" to "and the Oscar goes to" so as to avoid offending the delicate sensibilities of rich actors and film bigwigs who don't want any insinuation that they are losers... the Oscars can happen on a Saturday.

Then there's no more staying up late and being tired at work on Monday.  Or wasting several hours at work browsing the internet and reading up on all the best and worst dressed and all the anecdotes and whatnot!

Don't they do some other awards show on Saturday before the Oscars? An awards show for independent movies or something. And I don't mean the RAzzies, something else.

2 hours ago, clb1016 said:

I haven't watched the Oscars in years and I haven't read all of the posts on this board so please forgive me if this has been asked and answered already, but I don't know why they keep scheduling it for a 2-1/2 hr time slot when it goes over 3 hrs (sometimes closer to 4 hrs) every single year.  I know it's on the West Coast but they could still start it at least a little earlier.

They are always scheduled for 3 hours. Last night's was scheduled for 8:30 - 11:30, so that's still pretty late even if it ended on time. I don't know why they push the start to 8:30 instead of 8, but it's really rough when you're on the east coast.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Mumbles said:

Sal Mimeo was a gay actor. Given who is involved, my bet is that it was a douchey dude-bro jokey insult. Coz being gay is so funny and worthy of ridicule. Maybe I'm just overreacting. But that would be my guess.

I was really hoping that wasn't it!  It has not received much attention at all though.

9 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

LOL, this was the best, can't say it was a snooze fest. Best part were the reactions from the audience, Taraji's face, LOL.

I know Faye Dunaway is pissed, the Diva that she is, oh hell no. All these years, and I come out here for this shit, she got to be thinking this.  Unless she's from the school of thought that even negative publicity is good.

Considering that she'll stop an interview to this day if Mommie Dearest is even mentioned, despite the fact that it now stands as a cult classic? I doubt it. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Don't they do some other awards show on Saturday before the Oscars? An awards show for independent movies or something. And I don't mean the RAzzies, something else.

They are always scheduled for 3 hours. Last night's was scheduled for 8:30 - 11:30, so that's still pretty late even if it ended on time. I don't know why they push the start to 8:30 instead of 8, but it's really rough when you're on the east coast.

The Independent Spirit Awards are held the Saturday before the Oscars in Santa Monica.  If the Oscars were moved to Saturday, I don't think the Spirit Awards would have any problem moving to Friday.  The Oscars tend to dictate the schedule for a lot of the shows that come before.

• Love 2

Not many actors would be okay with having one of their cheesy movie roles* put on blast in front of this particular audience, so I have to give it up again to Matt Damon and his overall good sportitude.

I miss the cavalcade of costumes -- remember those? Models used to strut around onstage wearing clothing from each of the nominated films.

* Although I enjoyed that movie!

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, Lord Donia said:

Instead of limiting the happy winners' acceptance speeches (it's a huge fucking moment in their professional lives!), I'd much prefer they restrict the number of people who are allowed onstage for Best Picture. Jebus.

If I were charge of the world, I'd also let the In Memorium segment run as long as damned necessary.

Those two changes would probably add 15 min to the ceremony. To compensate, remove 30 minutes of unrelated junk. It might surprise the producers to hear that the majority of viewers tune in to (1) SEE WHO WINS and (2) rubberneck at the stars. Why do they think I want to watch a comedy/variety show? They'll probably schedule some plate spinners and Topo Gigio next.

Random factoid, brought to you by the Internet:
The Oscar telecast has won the most Emmys in history, with 47 wins and 195 nominations.

I agree that filler should be cut out.  Remember the year when they made winners of the "lesser awards" accept their awards in 10 seconds from a microphone in the aisle?  Lots of people on predecessor message boards to this one were irate.  Personally, I liked it. But I'm one of those that watches the Oscars because I want to see stars.  I know there is a lot that goes into making a movie, but personally, I'd be in favour of moving categories like Sound and Sound Editing to the technical awards.  I don't know who these people are and I don't really give a hoot to learn that the third guy wouldn't be there without his wife the love of his life who is at home with his joys Arabella and Marcelo.  

I know I'm in the minority, but I also don't care about documentaries or live action short.  I call those categories the "dump break" or "refrigerator" categories.

But I actually really loved the "inspiration" bits.  Let's face it, those were just an excuse to get Shirley MacLaine and Michael J Fox onstage.  One is one of the grand dames of Hollywood and the other is a well respected actor whose suffering from his disease was all too evident and sad.  Then the inclusion of Matt Damon and "We Bought a Zoo" was obviously done for laughs.  Those were the only three, right?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, topanga said:

The man who looks like Matt Damon if he got stung in the face by a bunch of bees--he's a big boss?

He sure is:

In his fourth year of handling envelopes for the winners of the Academy Awards, PricewaterhouseCoopers partner Brian Cullinan picked a bad time for a miscue 

Cullinan was positioned stage left during the evening. His colleague, Martha Ruiz, stood in the wings, stage right. Each had a pile of envelopes for presenters entering from their side of the stage and then a pile of “backup” envelopes for the presenters entering from the other side of the stage at the Dolby Theater.

Cullinan pulled the Best Actress envelope that was in the “backup” pile and handed it to Warren Beatty.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/oscars/pricewaterhousecoopers-boss-says-best-picture-envelope-pulled-from-wrong-pile/ar-AAnA1iq?li=BBnb7Kz

But I actually really loved the "inspiration" bits.  Let's face it, those were just an excuse to get Shirley MacLaine and Michael J Fox onstage.  One is one of the grand dames of Hollywood and the other is a well respected actor whose suffering from his disease was all too evident and sad.  Then the inclusion of Matt Damon and "We Bought a Zoo" was obviously done for laughs.  Those were the only three, right?

There was also Javier Bardem and Meryl Streep.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 2

re: the pile of envelopes: I saw another poster mention earlier in the thread that once each award was handed out, the envelope for said award should be discarded from the back-up/duplicate pile. That's a great point and I don't understand why that wasn't the case and why (I know I've already said this but it truly boggles my mind) the guy didn't *look* at the envelope before he handed it to Warren Beatty. I saw that he was apparently tweeting and posting pics from backstage. Maybe he was an unfortunate combination of being starstruck and incompetent.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

She is a legend.  Chinatown, Network, Mommie Dearest... those are probably her most famous roles in addition to B&C.  I believe she was always known for being very demanding and she acquired a reputation for being difficult.  Then again, many actors acquire a reputation for being difficult.

I have to confess that looks-wise, I often confuse her with the French legend Catherine Deneuve.  I think they are about the same age and to me they resemble each other.

And she won her Oscar for Network!

Funny story: Before her death, Joan Crawford said that Faye Dunaway was the one actress of that time period who she really thought of as a true movie star. And of course, Faye wound up (regretting to) playing Joan. 

• Love 5

I say it every year - if the Oscar producers want a respectful yet artistic memorial montage they need to hire the production company that does the ones for TCM.  I believe it was a production company called Raygun, but I'm not sure if they are still doing them.  They were and are simple, film themed, and short enough with still including your well known and lesser known industry people.  The best dead people montage the Oscars ever was for 2002 - it's there on YT if you look creatively.  

Ohhhh it doesn't surprise me that Faye doesn't want to comment given her difficult nature which has already been mentioned.  Not that she's required to, but still, be gracious.  Like Warren.

I would like to offer my services to the Academy if they are looking for someone new to handle the envelopes.  I don't have a twitter account to be distracted by, and I don't use my phone to post to social media.  Win win for them.     

• Love 5
3 hours ago, topanga said:

Slightly off-topic, but do you remember when Saturday night was a hot TV night? Golden Girls, 227, Amen, Empty Nest? 

And in the 70s, Saturday nights on CBS was the biggest night of the week: All in the Family (number one for five straight years), MASH, Mary Tyler Moore, The Bob Newhart Show, and Carol Burnett, in that order.

(I'm turning 28 tomorrow, so I only know this because I'm a big TV nerd. :P)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, UYI said:

And in the 70s, Saturday nights on CBS was the biggest night of the week: All in the Family (number one for five straight years), MASH, Mary Tyler Moore, The Bob Newhart Show, and Carol Burnett, in that order.

I mentioned that upthread.  Glad to see I'm not the only one here who can remember when dinosaurs roamed the earth. :-)

• Love 9

She wasn't in it long enough to justify an award but that Michelle Williams scene is the best one in the movie.

I think she was in it enough.  Judi Dench won for just like 8 mins of Shakespeare in Love.

Supporting is supposed to be just that,  supporting scenes.  Less than the lead.  Mahershala was just in the first part of Moonlight.  That was how Supporting should be instead of Viola's entire movie performance opposite Denzel yet he's lead and she's not.

Nicole Kidman commented on the clapping, she said you try clapping with 500K of jewelry on. LOL

I know the Oscars are about 'La La Land' but with the current state of the country perhaps next year they should consider having the show in a country everyone nominated could actually attend and isn't banned?

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 6

I look at it now and think, there were other ways to handle it, but in the moment, I can't blame him or her. He knew something was wrong. There's audio of him right after Faye announced the award saying "It said Emma." 

Thank you... I could have sworn I heard Faye say, "What?" in the second before the La La Land music started, and some mumbling before it, but I couldn't make out if it was Warren or what had been said. 

It's like the rubber pencil thing.

For whatever reason, this comment wins the day for me. Still giggling.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

I mentioned that upthread.  Glad to see I'm not the only one here who can remember when dinosaurs roamed the earth. :-)

Oops! I haven't gotten there yet. I'm not QUITE that old (that didn't sound right), but I love a few of those shows in particular because of Nick at Nite. :)

Edited by UYI

The filler bits just annoyed me. Can we call a halt to the "giving the audience food" schtick? It was kind of amusing when Ellen DeGeneres did it the first time, but it doesn't deserve to be an annual tradition.

I don't know. I'm sympathetic to the celebrities who have to sit there for hours and otherwise have to sneak little snacks with them. But you know, actually make it a joke. I think the problem with Kimmel was that he didn't have very well-written jokes and just hoped good moments would arise. Same with the tour group surprise. If you're going to do so much crowd work and improvised bits, you should be good at it. That's a skill. Otherwise, have someone write you better jokes. Kimmel tried to do both and was weak in both areas. 

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 3

What's up with glamorous ball gowns that have pockets?   I get that they are practical.  You might want to put a lipstick or a chap stick in them.  But why do we see so many elegant ladies walking the red carpet and putting both of their hands in said pockets?  Kirsten Dunst I am looking at you.  I'll take Scarlett Johannson in her beautiful dress that put her on several worst dressed lists for being "too casual" over Kirsten and her hands in her stupid pockets any day of the week.

Hee!  I wish they had included a shot of Shirley MacLaine in that group.... she looked stunned and like she was going to be physically ill in a couple of shots I've seen. I'm sure she wanted to whack little brother a couple of times as it was happening. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, blackwing said:

What's up with glamorous ball gowns that have pockets?   I get that they are practical.  You might want to put a lipstick or a chap stick in them.  But why do we see so many elegant ladies walking the red carpet and putting both of their hands in said pockets?  Kirsten Dunst I am looking at you.  I'll take Scarlett Johannson in her beautiful dress that put her on several worst dressed lists for being "too casual" over Kirsten and her hands in her stupid pockets any day of the week.

Didn't Sandra Bullock start that trend? I remember one year she had a dress specifically designed with pockets because she hated not knowing what to do with her hands on the red carpet.

Those reaction shots of celebs is hilarious.

• Love 4

Ha, I've finally been catching up on the aftermath and seeing the reactions shots for the first time.  Audience-wise, I think my favorite is Dwayne Johnson's, whose face reminds me of his days in the WWE, when The Rock would ever lose a match because someone screwed him over or interfered.  Stage-wise, it goes to Damien Chazelle, who really reminds me of those procedural shows, where they're looking for some kind of bomber or something, and someone has a photo of a crowd and is all "This guy!  He looks suspicious!"  Still feel bad for him, but then I remember that he's 32 years-old, and already has a Best Director Oscar, so he is totally going to be fine.

Another "looking on the bright side of things," this has certainly raised Justin Horowtiz profile and mainly for the better.  From what I've read, he seems to be mainly getting positive responses for how he handled things.  I guess I could see an argument for just letting Beatty redo it, but considering how much turmoil there already seem to be going on up there, I liked that he just jumped right in, and declared Moonlight the true winner and even made sure to show the card, so that would end any "Is this a joke?" questions.  He made the best out of a bad situation. But I guess producers are use to being in the thick of bad situations at one point or another.

• Love 6

I love that shot of Meryl. So, so much. Her reaction and Ryan Gosling's mirth are just mesmerizing and crack me up.

re: Horowitz - I do think he jumped in, grabbed the card, etc., because he wanted the humiliation to be over and for the Moonlight crew to start having their moment - the moment they deserved - as soon as possible. He was probably thinking that the production had screwed things up so spectacularly that they couldn't be relied upon to fix their mistake quickly enough, so he took it upon himself to do it. 

Edited by weathered1
  • Love 11