Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, PradaKitty said:

Perhaps the academy shouldn't have the elderly giving out awards....

Or let senior accountants give out the envelopes with the winner's name...

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Eh, he was on live TV and had to sit and watch the Oscars for 4 hours. He must have been tired, and then didn't know how to react to what he saw. It was exhausting to watch at home with free reign to get up and move around, eat and FF. He's human and everyone makes mistakes. Compared to all the crappy stuff going on, if this was the worst thing that happened at the Oscars at least people are talking about something else and nobody got hurt.

And he clearly knew something was wrong. That's why he didn't announce anything immediately and even looked back inside the envelope to see if there was another sheet in there. Warren is just no longer quick to think on his feet, understandably so, but he's well aware enough of what's going on. He looked to Faye for guidance, but Faye also thought he was just playing around and probably didn't understand his dilemma and just wanted the show to be over it, since they're already way past the time. So she just blurted out the movie name she saw and didn't even think as well of why Emma Stone's name was on the card. Or she probably even didn't notice Emma's name on it, which is highly possible.

• Love 15
40 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Since when is someone who is in their 40s and 50s a millennial? Please explain. As a millennial those ages are too old for our generation, but you know according to you I mess everything up because I am a millennial.

The millennial bashing always cracks me up. People will find absolutely any reason and any excuse to place the blame for everything on millennials! 

• Love 16

I didn't really care either way who won but I recorded part of the show so I could watch Walking Dead. I ended up fast forwarding through all the banter and skimmed bits and caught up live around 11:00pm. At midnight(!!!!) when they announced that LLL won, I hit delete and turned off the tv. This momma has to get to bed to get get kiddos up at the crack of dawn for school. I didn't even watch the acceptance speech. Imagine my surprise when I wake up to all this news! I turned the tv off one minute too soon I suppose! 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

LOL. The Partners (the big bosses), not the lowly staffers, ALWAYS handle these tasks at events like this. Big Four CPA firms (I know because my husband works for one and the firm he works for just did the count for one of the awards shows earlier this year) send the Partners in charge of the auditing of the count to these events, not senior managers, not managers, not senior staff, etc. To make sure that the exact thing that happened last night wouldn't happen. 

As you can see, the two people scrambling around the stage during all the confusion, who are clearly not from the industry - older guy and lady in the red dress - were the ones from PWC. Those are big bosses. Those are not some interns or fresh grads that they just hired.

The man who looks like Matt Damon if he got stung in the face by a bunch of bees--he's a big boss?

And also the newscaster in the late news said Emma Watson instead Emma Stone haha.

And there was one more "Hidden Fences" mention on the red carpet. For old times' sake. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, topanga said:

I only know because she had a small part in one of my favorite movies, "Out of Sight." On the director's commentary, he said her name a few times and mentioned that she's a great theater actress. And that he was glad to get her for the role. 

Mommie Dearest was the first Faye Dunaway movie I ever watched. That movie freaked me out, and I've been afraid of Faye Dunaway ever since. 

I'll always associate Dunaway with her character as Ariana Kane on Alias, trying to mess with Spy!Daddy, haha. JJ Abrams said once that they had a guest actress that was so difficult when she was on set, she even made some of the crew cry. Based on the notable female guest stars who only made a couple appearances on that show, I've narrowed it down to that person either being Dunaway or Vivica A. Fox. Faye's character was supposedly going to be in more episodes, but they killed her character off so she couldn't come back. (hopefully that wasn't a spoiler to anyone, considering her episodes on the show aired like 15 years ago).

• Love 6

I don't know why the Oscars can't start at 7pm East/ 4pm Pacific on a Sunday.  The hours of pre-show crap is useless, and 7pm is acknowledged as primetime for 60 minutes and other network shows. I grew up on the east coast and am always baffled at why they can't amend the start time, if it helps the eastern /midwest viewers to stay up ... and maybe the ratings wouldn't continue to dwindle.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

I don't know why the Oscars can't start at 7pm East/ 4pm Pacific on a Sunday.  The hours of pre-show crap is useless, and 7pm is acknowledged as primetime for 60 minutes and other network shows. I grew up on the east coast and am always baffled at why they can't amend the start time, if it helps the eastern /midwest viewers to stay up ... and maybe the ratings wouldn't continue to dwindle.

I agree- as a life-long East Coast person, I'd welcome the earlier start time. The Super Bowl starts at 6:30, why can't we get a 7 PM start for awards shows?

I was DVR-ing to compensate for if I fell asleep on the couch (a fairly standard occurrence) and woke back up just about in time for Best Actor and Actress. As soon as I heard the Best Picture announcement, I started rewinding to watch the In Memorium before I went to bed, so I didn't know what was up until my husband asked me this morning about the mix up. I had to go to the recording to have any clue what he was talking about.

• Love 3

I don't know why the Oscars can't be on a Saturday.  Why must they always be on a Sunday?  Because of some tradition?  Traditions change.  If they can switch from "and the winner is" to "and the Oscar goes to" so as to avoid offending the delicate sensibilities of rich actors and film bigwigs who don't want any insinuation that they are losers... the Oscars can happen on a Saturday.

Then there's no more staying up late and being tired at work on Monday.  Or wasting several hours at work browsing the internet and reading up on all the best and worst dressed and all the anecdotes and whatnot!

Dresses:  Taraji P. Henson and Viola Davis were the best dressed IMO.  All of the media seems to love Emma Stone but I don't understand why Emma Stone and Nicole Kidman end up on Best Dressed lists when that colour washes them out, yet Felicity Jones gets raked over the coals for wearing essentially the exact same colour.  I've seen Janelle Monae on some Best Dressed lists too (along with some Worst).  To me, her dress was like a combination of 23rd century call girl (transparent top) meets Queen Elizabeth I (those huge side dress things).

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Dresses:  Taraji P. Henson and Viola Davis were the best dressed IMO.  All of the media seems to love Emma Stone but I don't understand why Emma Stone and Nicole Kidman end up on Best Dressed lists when that colour washes them out, yet Felicity Jones gets raked over the coals for wearing essentially the exact same colour.  I've seen Janelle Monae on some Best Dressed lists too (along with some Worst).  To me, her dress was like a combination of 23rd century call girl (transparent top) meets Queen Elizabeth I (those huge side dress things).

I agree with the dresses. But I do think Emma Stone's lipstick and red hair kept her from looking washed out. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I don't know why the Oscars can't be on a Saturday.  Why must they always be on a Sunday?  Because of some tradition?  Traditions change.  If they can switch from "and the winner is" to "and the Oscar goes to" so as to avoid offending the delicate sensibilities of rich actors and film bigwigs who don't want any insinuation that they are losers... the Oscars can happen on a Saturday.

Maybe they figure more people will be home on a Sunday night, whereas, on Saturday nights it makes more sense for people to be out and about doing other things besides watching TV (who are those people?!).

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

The millennial bashing always cracks me up. People will find absolutely any reason and any excuse to place the blame for everything on millennials! 

I find it interesting that they blame milennials for something done to them.  "A generation told they were special....got participation prizes....etc."  Even if that created a generation of entitled incompetent lagabouts  (I work with this generation and do not consider them thus) then why aren't we blaming the boomers and Gen Xers who had and raised these kids?  Milennials sure as heck didn't give themselves participation trophies.

It's amazing this only happened once before but that time it was a mistake easily caught since there was no overlap in categories like there was here.

Only truly sour note of the night was Casey winning.  Yeah, the screw up did suck but it was also kind of awesome for entertainment value.

• Love 19
4 minutes ago, topanga said:

I agree with the dresses. But I do think Emma Stone's lipstick and red hair kept her from looking washed out. 

I really liked Emma's dress and would want that for myself, but in a different color that would better highlight all the details. It seemed like a safe choice though. I was surprised Nicole showed up in a normal looking dress compared to her dresses during the rest of the awards season. Or maybe she finally hired a different stylist. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, JustaPerson said:

Audience reactions. I don't know which is my favorite -- Meryl, Ryan or John Legends "wut" face. 

I loved the captions sprinkled between the celebrity photos: "This dude." "The woman next to Michelle Williams."

Damien Chazelle looked like he was 1) about to cry or 2) plotting to hurt someone really, really badly. 

Emma Stone had the prettiest WTF? face. She was in the beautiful zone last night. 

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, JustaPerson said:

Audience reactions. I don't know which is my favorite -- Meryl, Ryan or John Legends "wut" face. 

The Rock's eyebrow looks like it was on its way to doing a full People's Eyebrow, which makes me incredibly happy.

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I don't know why the Oscars can't be on a Saturday.  Why must they always be on a Sunday?  Because of some tradition?  Traditions change.

It used to be Monday nights in mid- or late-March, and started around 9 or 9:30 EST. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I don't know why the Oscars can't be on a Saturday.  Why must they always be on a Sunday?  Because of some tradition?  Traditions change.

For a long time, Oscars were on Monday nights. I think it switched to Sundays in 1998 or so?

eta- yeah, what Inquisitionist says- they started later because they would show that damn Barbara Walters special before the Oscars.

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 4
Just now, King of Birds said:

For a long time, Oscars were on Monday nights. I think it switched to Sundays in 1998 or so?

Yes, 1998, I remember. The Titanic Oscars. After that show went some four and a half hours, they moved the ceremony to Sunday starting the following year.

I'm still not entirely sure what good that really did. Sunday is still a work/school night.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Chicken Wing said:

I'm still not entirely sure what good that really did. Sunday is still a work/school night.

I think it's because Sundays were family show nights originally, and Saturdays were not network-abandoned nights like they are now.

• Love 1

Yeah, but the issue after the 1998 Oscars was the show going on for so, so, so long, with the issue presumably being that people need to get up in the morning. I'm not sure how moving the show to Sunday makes that better than when it's on Monday. People have to get to bed Sunday night same way they do on Monday. Sunday is a big "TV gathering" night, but regular shows don't run until 11:30, 12am.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Only truly sour note of the night was Casey winning.  Yeah, the screw up did suck but it was also kind of awesome for entertainment value.

Brie Larson refusing to clap for him was a thing, though.

27 minutes ago, topanga said:

Damien Chazelle looked like he was 1) about to cry or 2) plotting to hurt someone really, really badly. 

I saw a caption somewhere that said we were witnessing the birth of a supervillain.

• Love 19
5 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

I think it's because Sundays were family show nights originally, and Saturdays were not network-abandoned nights like they are now.

Slightly off-topic, but do you remember when Saturday night was a hot TV night? Golden Girls, 227, Amen, Empty Nest? 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

I ask this in all seriousness since I've never seen her in anything except Bonnie and Clyde (and therefore have never paid her much mind) but what has Faye done to earn the diva title?

I once dated someone who worked behind the scenes on a movie with her, and let's just say that playing a melodramatic witch with an explosive temper in Supergirl wasn't that big a stretch of her acting talent.

52 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Bette Davis called Faye Dunaway the most difficult woman in the world to work with.  Here she is on David Letterman.  The discussion about Faye Dunaway starts at around 19:15.

Damn! I know Joan Crawford had been dead a decade by the time of this interview, but when Bette Davis passes on a chance to insult her in favor of calling you out instead, you know you've made your name as a world-class diva!

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, topanga said:

Slightly off-topic, but do you remember when Saturday night was a hot TV night? Golden Girls, 227, Amen, Empty Nest? 

I absolutely do!  I watched those with my family.

That clip of Emma crying when she saw Brie made me like Emma which I don't often do.  I think it's because she's TOO polished sometimes, if you know what I mean.  She seems fun, but always like she knows what she's doing.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, starri said:

Brie Larson refusing to clap for him was a thing, though.

Did you notice that other woman though, the one who was holding the trophy before the winner? She was so damn excited for Casey, she almost jumped up and down. I wonder if they know each other personally.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, topanga said:

A much hotter Saturday night was when the line-up was All in the Family, MASH, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, and The Carol Burnett Show. :-)

• Love 14
19 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

Yay for Arrival!  Loved that movie.  In my opinion, the biggest travesty of the awards is Amy Adams not getting nominated.

19 hours ago, Macbeth said:

How is that Amy Adams wasn't nominated for Arrival?   She was fantastic in that movie.

19 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I would have put Amy Adams before Meryl Streep in Florence Foster Jenkins for nominations. Oh Florence Foster Jenkins is another movie I have not seen. I thought it looked bad.

I agree that Amy Adams should have gotten a nomination this year, specifically the slot that went to Meryl Streep.  The Oscar nominations were not finalized until a couple of weeks after the Golden Globes were held.  I firmly believe that Meryl only secured her FFJ nomination AFTER she made her anti-Trump speech.  IMO, it was her reward for that, at the expense of Amy Adams (and to a slightly lesser extent at Taraji P. Henson's for Hidden Figures.)  I loved her speech BTW but don't think one should have anything to do with the other.  

I didn't know Amy hadn't been nominated until about an hour ago.  I was wondering why we didn't get a shot of what Amy wore at the Oscars - and then light dawneth on Marblehead.

Although she wasn't nominated, she did attend and presented the award for Best Adapted Screenplay.  If you'd like to see what she wore to the Oscars, here's a link to a photo of her gown.  It was again a Tom Ford, following what she's been doing much of this awards season showcasing her Nocturnal Animals director.
http://hollywoodlife.com/2017/02/26/amy-adams-oscar-dress-2017-oscars-gown/

19 hours ago, Mumbles said:

She wasn't in it long enough to justify an award but that Michelle Williams scene is the best one in the movie.

IMO, that scene is the best acted scene in any 2016 movie.  Absolutely amazing.

19 hours ago, mojoween said:

Ahahahahaha the voiceover lady said Viola was nominated for "The Help" but I heard "The Hulk" and I was like wait what?  How could that movie birth an Oscar nominee?

Well, not that far off base.  She was in Suicide Squad!

19 hours ago, maraleia said:

From the Washington Post- When Viola Davis wins an Academy Award on Sunday, as she’s favored to do, she will be the 23rd person to achieve the triple crown of acting: a competitive Oscar, Emmy and Tony (two Tonys, in her case). She will be the first African American to join the club.

Except not.  I guess the Washington Post needs an introduction to Whoopi Goldberg.

WTF is up with the choice in music?? The Heat is On???

All the songs are from various movies.  "The Heat is On" is from Beverly Hills Cop.

19 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Every time I hear Audition from La La Land I get Rainbow Connection in my head. 

I'm so happy to read this.  I thought it was just me!

18 hours ago, okerry said:

I really wanted to like this, but was so annoyed WHEN THEY ALL PULLED OUT THEIR PHONES AND LOOKED AT EVERYTHING THROUGH THE PHONE that I was just kind of disgusted with them. What would it take for them to Be Here Now? What would have to happen for them to actually be in the moment and interact with some of the world's biggest celebrities RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM? ok, rant off lol

What made it even worse is that many of the celebrities seated up front pulled out their phones to video the tourists!  

18 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Gah.  I recoil every time they show him.  Man, I remember thinking he was just so damned handsome in The Year of Living Dangerously.  He legit looks like a different person and it isn't just age.  Daniel Day Lewis still looks about the same as he did in a Room With A View.  But with Mel it is like his face is the Portrait of Dorian Grey.  His personality shows on his face.

18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I loved him in that and Gallipoli.  Too bad he's such an ass.

I agree with both of you on this.  He was so good and incredibly handsome in both of those.  I joked when he was named People's first Sexiest Man Alive that they should just retire the award immediately.  And then years later we discover that he is just an awful, awful human being.  Some of Hollywood may have taken the forgive and forget route but this fan definitely hasn't.  He sickens me.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Then there's no more staying up late and being tired at work on Monday.  Or wasting several hours at work browsing the internet and reading up on all the best and worst dressed and all the anecdotes and whatnot!

I haven't watched the Oscars in years and I haven't read all of the posts on this board so please forgive me if this has been asked and answered already, but I don't know why they keep scheduling it for a 2-1/2 hr time slot when it goes over 3 hrs (sometimes closer to 4 hrs) every single year.  I know it's on the West Coast but they could still start it at least a little earlier.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, King of Birds said:

I remember when they were on Mondays.  Definitely in the early 90's. Not sure before or after that.  I recall being on spring break also so it was shown in March or April.

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, maraleia said:

From the Washington Post- When Viola Davis wins an Academy Award on Sunday, as she’s favored to do, she will be the 23rd person to achieve the triple crown of acting: a competitive Oscar, Emmy and Tony (two Tonys, in her case). She will be the first African American to join the club.

7 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Except not.  I guess the Washington Post needs an introduction to Whoopi Goldberg.

I agree that Whoopi does have her EGOT, but the Washington Post talks about the "triple crown of acting", implying that the person won the award for acting.  I think Whoopi got her Tony for being a producer of a show that won, and I'm pretty sure her Emmy comes as Outstanding Talk Show Host as part of the crew from "The View".

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, clb1016 said:

I haven't watched the Oscars in years and I haven't read all of the posts on this board so please forgive me if this has been asked and answered already, but I don't know why they keep scheduling it for a 2-1/2 hr time slot when it goes over 3 hrs (sometimes closer to 4 hrs) every single year.  I know it's on the West Coast but they could still start it at least a little earlier.

It was scheduled for 3 hours, 8:30-11:30. I don't know why they can't just schedule it to go from 8pm-11:30pm.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I thought this also. @ProudMary, but someone clarified that Viola is the first to win the three awards for acting, and Whoopi's Tony is for producing.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

It was scheduled for 3 hours, 8:30-11:30. I don't know why they can't just schedule it to go from 8pm-11:30pm.

I also don't know why they spend so much time on Best Song since most songs nominated for an Oscar blow chunks.

The so-and-so inspired me clips were also a huge time suck.

But stuff like that will probably never change.

• Love 3

I think the overall problem with most Oscar telecasts being so long and dull and that include segments that could've easily been cut is that the Academy takes itself very, very seriously. So, when they have the chance to show things like actors fawning over other actors and films, they'll take it and run with it, far past the point when it becomes clear that it drags the show down. Personally, I thought those particular segments were basically interesting, but were way too long. 

I also thought the tourist/tour bus bit ran way too long. 

re: the fiasco/snafu/whatever it was: I can't blame Damien Chazelle for having that look on his face. From everything I've heard and read, he poured his heart and soul into that film, so I'm sure in that moment, it felt like one hell of a blow to have that recognized and then be taken away in such a public, humiliating fashion. 

All things being equal, it still blows my mind that the entire thing would never have happened if the PwC person had just looked at the envelope.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, weathered1 said:

All things being equal, it still blows my mind that the entire thing would never have happened if the PwC person had just looked at the envelope.

LOL. I guess different accountants next year?

Poor Warren Beatty looked like he was delaying announcing the winner as a cry for help. That maybe, MAYBE, someone backstage had discovered the error, realized s/he still has the Best Picture envelope at hand and would have done something before he had to say something. But he realized he cannot delay forever.

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, Laurie4H said:

I remember when they were on Mondays.  Definitely in the early 90's. Not sure before or after that. 

I started watching the Oscars sometime in the mid 1950s (!!). They were on Mondays as far back as I can remember, but I'm sure an Oscar historian can prove me wrong.

Poor Warren Beatty looked like he was delaying announcing the winner as a cry for help. That maybe, MAYBE, someone backstage had discovered the error, realized s/he still has the Best Picture envelope at hand and would have done something before he had to say something. But he realized he cannot delay forever.

Good observation. He definitely looked taken aback and as if he was trying to figure it out. You can hear him say to Faye, why was Emma Stone's name on it, when the La La Land music came on. My only quibble with him was that he gave it to Faye to announce. I'm sure that is how it was rehearsed, but if he was still unsure he should have stalled more (in hopes that someone backstage would figure out something was wrong) or just asked for help.

And he seemed so sheepish about it at the end.

But I'm a big Warren fan.

There is a great article on Slate that slows everyone's roll on how the La La Land producer who announced the error, while gracious, is not the big hero that some media outlets are painting him to be. I have been gobsmacked reading all the articles today about how he is a "hero for our time." He graciously gave back something that was given him in error. As Chris Rock says, what do you want, a cookie?

• Love 19
5 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Good observation. He definitely looked taken aback and as if he was trying to figure it out. You can hear him say to Faye, why was Emma Stone's name on it, when the La La Land music came on. My only quibble with him was that he gave it to Faye to announce. I'm sure that is how it was rehearsed, but if he was still unsure he should have stalled more (in hopes that someone backstage would figure out something was wrong) or just asked for help.

And he seemed so sheepish about it at the end.

But I'm a big Warren fan.

There is a great article on Slate that slows everyone's roll on how the La La Land producer who announced the error, while gracious, is not the big hero that some media outlets are painting him to be. I have been gobsmacked reading all the articles today about how he is a "hero for our time." He graciously gave back something that was given him in error. As Chris Rock says, what do you want, a cookie?

What was he gonna do, run off the stage with it? I mean it's good that he didn't have a conniption about it but he kind of had NO CHOICE but to give up something he didn't actually win,

• Love 4

It is better to say "Wait folks, I don't want to be funny, I got the wrong card, I don't want to announce the wrong winner, so give us a few moments to check this............." 

Well of course 4 hours of waiting and lack of food maybe that people can't think straight. lol :P

• Love 6