Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

It always amuses me when the Oscars are nominated for an Emmy, because the nominee is usually also working on the Emmys at the same time and we see him in his little "I'm working right now" cage when they announce his name.

Directing. In this case the director of the Emmys won for directing the Tonys.

• Love 1

And because the Oscars didn't screw up enough with the Best Picture mess, it also turns out that one of the people featured in the In Memoriam segment is actually not even dead.

Good lord. That's just absolutely unacceptable.

And Garry Shandling was left off as well.

In past years I vaguely recall the Academy Awards show being nominated for an Emmy.  I forget the category, or if it even exists any more, but if it does, I don't think the Oscars will win an Emmy this year.

I'm sure Billy Crystal won for hosting.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

Apparently the only other time something even close to this happened was the 1964 Oscars. Sammy Davis Jr. was presenting Best Score and then announced a winner that wasn't even one of the nominees he'd just said. They gave him the card for another category.

Last night's snafu could have been cleared up very quickly if anyone else but Emma Stone had won Best Actress, as none of the other Best Actress nominees were from a movie also nominated for Best Picture and it would have been obvious immediately that they had the wrong card. What a perfect catastrophe this was.

This has settled the urban legend that Marissa Tomei didn't actually win her Oscar because Jack Palance just read the first name on the teleprompter.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

I didn't like how Faye Dunnaway vanished after reading out La La Land, leaving Warren to apologize alone, when it was HER that read the wrong name. 

I assume she had her broom waiting in the wings for a speedy exit.

• Love 5

Well, MAJOR blooper aside, I really liked this year's Oscars. Kimmel seems to be getting panned most everywhere, but I liked him a lot last night. Enough jabs but not too mean. And he seemed alive hosting, compared to when he hosted the Emmy's where he seemed phoned in and dead-panned the entire night. 

I did think though that his last jab at Matt Damon was cruel, when he said that his favorite part of the show is coming up where Damon is going to lose, just because the chances of Manchester by the Sea winning BP is so miniscule, that Matt is really going to end up a loser. I thought that was brutal. 

I liked that bit with Ben Affleck where Matt was introduced as guest, and Ben confirmed that Matt being a guest is the same as being a plus-one. I thought that was a subtle nod to Kimmel's earlier joke about how the only person Affleck never cheated on was Matt Damon. And Matt getting continuously played off was hilarious, I thought.

I like the little touches of the montages of the actors winning their respective awards over the years of the Oscars before the actual award presentation, the mini-salutes of actors to the great performers of yesteryears and having them present together. Heck, I even liked the tourists gatecrashing the Oscars. Man, that must have been the joy of a lifetime for those people. Best $25 spent ever!

I'm really happy for Emma Stone! She has come a long way for Superbad. I don't think she would be insufferable after this, but heck, I still liked JLaw after all the Oscars stuff so sure, Emma may become one and I wouldn't notice.

As an aside, the last six winners of Best Actress Oscars have been evenly split between those younger than 30 and those over 40. I think that's a good sign that there's still great work that can be had by everyone regardless of age.

Not only was there a lot of diversity in the winners, but the love was also spread evenly throughout the films, I thought (even if LLL did end up with 6). Manchester by the Sea pulled some sort of upset over LLL on writing. That was a nice surprise. And if Moonlight had been properly announced as the winner, people would be talking about how the two big awards were split between the two best movies, ala-Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity and producers for 12 Years A Slave.

I also liked how most of speeches and presenters, when referring to that topic, were toned down and polite and respectful as possible. No chest beating ala-Ashton Kutcher and no insane batshit power to the people fury ala-David Harbour during the SAGs. 

The writers for next year's Oscars are going to be thankful they have a lot of material to already start on for next year.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Nice moment backstage between Emma and last year's winner Brie Larson:

This warmed my cold heart. I think Emma not realizing who touched her arm and then finally registering who it was and why made me tear up.  Now THAT is something that hopefully gets highlighted.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Damn, that is a snub. Hell, she even appeared in a brief moment in a past Oscar darling called Pulp Fiction. I get that her career wasn't exactly esteemed but jesus, they put Michael Jackson in who's acting career all consisted of playing a scarecrow in The Wiz.

He also had a role in Men in Black 2. Also, there was Captain EO. His songwriting for the movie Ben.

• Love 2

I wasn't a fan of La La Land and didn't really understand the hype, so I was cackling when the error was announced.  Especially when that last schmuck grabbed his turn at the microphone and kept talking even though it was really obvious that something was going on.  I thought Emma Stone was overrated.  I mean, sure, she was fine, but what made her performance that much better than everyone else's that she was considered the Oscar front runner months ago?  I guess much of winning an Oscar is all about marketing.  Then I have a feeling a lot of it is the Emperor's New Clothes syndrome.  Some contingent praises a performance and then everyone else bandwagons on.

I am happy for Barry Jenkins and the producers and cast and crew of Moonlight.

I wish Viola Davis had submitted for Lead.  It's not the first time a lead performance went into the supporting category to secure a win (Jennifer Connelly is just the first example that comes to mind) but I really do feel like she could have beaten Emma Stone.

I thought Jimmy was OK.  I didn't think he was that entertaining but he was serviceable.  I for one loved the food dropping from the rafters.  Reminded me of going to hockey games and trying to catch a T-shirt falling from the ceiling on a parachute.  But I absolutely hated the tourist bus bit, that just went on for way too long.  The whole thing was weird and kind of seemed like a set up.  If people were that into movies that they'd want to take a tour bus and see Hollywood sights, it's odd to me that they wouldn't be sitting at home or in their hotel room watching the show.

I can't believe that boring song from La La Land beat out "How Far I'll Go" or "Can't Stop the Feeling".  I enjoyed both of those performances.  Although, I never quite understand the hype about Lin Manuel Miranda.  His voice is so high pitched, he sounds like Mickey Mouse. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Gemma Violet said:

I've seen several references to Warren Beatty when it was actually Faye Dunaway who read it.  It looks like she's not even being mentioned in the press.

Faye Dunaway did read it but I think she just thought that Beatty was trying to be funny.  I thought he seemed a bit befuddled and senile even before the envelope was opened.  Then he's fumbling with it and stammering and she actually said to him "oh you're impossible" in a playful way.  Then she takes the card and sees "La La Land" and reads it.  True, she could have wondered why Emma Stone's name was also there, but since he opened it, maybe he could have looked closer at the card and saw that it said "Actress in a Leading Role" on the bottom.

In the end, it's the accountants' fault.  Whichever one of the two of them gave the wrong envelope to Beatty and Dunaway should get replaced next year.  People have been fired for less.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I thought Emma Stone was overrated.  I mean, sure, she was fine, but what made her performance that much better than everyone else's that she was considered the Oscar front runner months ago?  I guess much of winning an Oscar is all about marketing.  

<snip>

I wish Viola Davis had submitted for Lead.  It's not the first time a lead performance went into the supporting category to secure a win (Jennifer Connelly is just the first example that comes to mind) but I really do feel like she could have beaten Emma Stone.

Emma campaigned the heck out of this awards season, she said so herself. She wanted it that badly. Her closest competitor, Isabelle Huppert, apparently didn't endear herself too much to the voters with her attitude. I imagine Natalie couldn't go around as much due to her condition. Ruth Negga didn't have a snowball's chance of winning after missing the SAG. And well, Meryl is Meryl.

I thought it was a nice touch when Emma said in her speech that winning is really just the perfect strike between luck and opportunity.

As for Viola, yes, I also thought she would have beaten Emma, and maybe easily. Because there's still that nagging feeling from some people that she should have won for The Help, and Meryl undeservedly won the award instead. But maybe that was the plan - to avoid any "Meryl" surprise again. Most everyone thought Viola had it in the bag, as she won almost all awards leading to the Oscars except for BAFTA. But Meryl pulled off an upset.

And Oscars, if Emma Stone has now won one, you really need to award one to Amy Adams, ok?!

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, maraleia said:

Patty Arquette is rightly pissed IMO that her trans sister Alexis was omitted from the In Memoriam segment. The Arquette family goes back 4 generations in Hollywood so this was a double snub.

The Oscars In Memoriam tends to include people who had a major impact on motion pictures regardless of how well known they were (i.e., most of the behind-the-scenes folks aren't household names) or whose contributions were perhaps lesser but they were well known to the general movie-going public.  IMO, Alexis Arquette doesn't fit either of those categories. 

10 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I went to Patricia's twitter page and someone commented they left out Alan Rickman too. I was not paying that much attention. Is it possible they missed some cut off date and they'll be included next year? But then... they included Carrie Fisher. 

As others have noted, Rickman was included last year.

1 hour ago, Artsda said:

How did Viola even end up in Supporting? She won Supporting Actress for a Lead Role.

There was probably some gaming involved, but I don't think Rose was necessarily a lead role in Fences.  The story is about Troy and the people in his orbit.  Much of Rose's screen time is background stuff.  She has only a few moments in the spotlight. 

40 minutes ago, vb68 said:

And Garry Shandling was left off as well.

Shandling got a special tribute at the Emmys, which was appropriate given his impact on television.  He had a few movie roles, but I honestly don't associate him with films and can see why the Oscars would not include him in their In Memoriam.

• Love 7

As for Viola, yes, I also thought she would have beaten Emma, and maybe easily. Because there's still that nagging feeling from some people that she should have won for The Help, and Meryl undeservedly won the award instead. But maybe that was the plan - to avoid any "Meryl" surprise again. Most everyone thought Viola had it in the bag, as she won almost all awards leading to the Oscars except for BAFTA. But Meryl pulled off an upset. And Oscars, if Emma Stone has now won one, you really need to award one to Amy Adams, ok?!

If Viola had moved to Lead (which I think she would have won given the competition and her narrative this season) it would have opened up the category for Michelle Williams who is also on my list for "They haven't won yet?" along with Amy Adams and Jessica Chastain. I love Emma Stone, and am happy for her because she really, really wanted it, but the role was just so... adequate?

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Black Knight said:

In fairness, Horowitz basically took it on himself to make an announcement. Beatty appeared to be preparing to read out the correct winner when Horowitz jumped in.

Yes I understand that, but I am referring to how the producers and others went on stage and began taking the Oscar statuettes along with the whole chaotic scene. I think how it could have happened was, quietly have the cast move off the stage while someone took the microphone, explain the error and then let the audience know they were going to read off the nominees again and announce the correct winner.

Upon rewatch, it appears the producer (?) gave the envelope to Warren Beatty and wanted him to show the card to the audience as proof of the winner. Warren was waiting for the microphone to do this, but Horowitz was caught off guard with the whole thing. Who can blame him? It was a mess on stage. I get that Horowitz wanted to do the right thing, but he quickly grabbed the card from Warren Beatty.  Someone from production needed to take charge. Then again, we may not have heard that nice sentiment from Horowitz about wanting to give the statuette to his friends of Moonlight.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Emma Stone has now won one, you really need to award one to Amy Adams, ok?!

I sense a career win eventually for her aka Julianne Moore, Leo DiCapio if it doesn't happen in the next few years..

• Love 1

That would have required a level of cooperation and coordination among the bazillion people from La La Land on the stage that frankly would be pretty farfetched. I think Horowitz handled it about as well as it could be handled under the circumstances.

• Love 15

Well, this is what happens when people aren't comfortable handling live performance. You can bet your as* this never would happen at the Tonys. No one would have a qualm stopping the show to correct an error.

And somewhere, John Travolta is happy that Adele Nazeem is no longer the most embarrassing Oscar screw-up.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, sacrebleu said:

Well, this is what happens when people aren't comfortable handling live performance. You can bet your as* this never would happen at the Tonys. No one would have a qualm stopping the show to correct an error.

At the same time, NPH's comfort performing in front of live audiences gave us that never-ending Kreskin trick two years ago. I prefer a busload of tourists gawking at celebrities and taking selfies with them.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I think Horowitz handled it about as well as it could be handled under the circumstances.

I agree. And frankly, however it would have been handled by anyone, I wouldn't blame them. I don't think anyone would have their shit together in such a confusing and deflating moment. Horowitz handled it with all of the grace he has even though he was dying inside.

• Love 12

It sounds like they really aren't sure what happened with the envelopes as of yet. I heard on the radio this morning (but haven't been able to verify it online anywhere; can't find any mention of it) that there was actually a reprint of all the original winner cards because the font size was deemed too small. So the cards were then stuffed into their respective envelopes twice. Could mean nothing, but it would allow for a larger margin of error. 

Edited by eelpout

I don't know if this has been posted here but here's a good recap from USA Today about what went on EVERYWHERE during that snafu:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/02/27/heres-how-worst-flub-oscar-history-went-down/98466956/

I found these parts interesting:

On the mezzanine

Audible gasps escaped from the mezzanine, with Oscars guests turning to each other and whispering, "What?" Onlookers looked deflated; they were mostly La La Land die-hards. Only a handful stood and clapped when Moonlight was announced as the rightful winner. The mood was in stark contrast to what was going on in the lower level where the applause was strong.

Host Jimmy Kimmel was beside himself but tried to joke. "Warren, what did you do?!" 

Watching back the entire clip again and I think my favorite reaction from the crowd was Taraji's. So shocked with her mouth hanging open but was still aware enough to capture the entire thing on video on her phone. Haha!

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

She just started doing the voiceovers on Delta Air Lines commercials. Too bad they don't give Grammys for that--I think they do give Emmys for that (commercials), but she already has 1. If she'd write a book about something & read the audiobook version, or if she'd read the audiobook version of someone else's work, she could win a Grammy fairly easily for that (It worked for 1 or both of the Clintons, as I remember).

Yes, I thought that was Viola's voice, and she does the commercial for Vaseline. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Audible gasps escaped from the mezzanine, with Oscars guests turning to each other and whispering, "What?" Onlookers looked deflated; they were mostly La La Land die-hards. Only a handful stood and clapped when Moonlight was announced as the rightful winner. The mood was in stark contrast to what was going on in the lower level where the applause was strong.

That's funny because I thought the opposite while watching live. I thought the response to La La Land winning was tepid (because the room wanted Moonlight) and then when Moonlight was announced people were still in shock about what was going on and it seems emotions were all over the place. 

• Love 4

Eh, he was on live TV and had to sit and watch the Oscars for 4 hours. He must have been tired, and then didn't know how to react to what he saw. It was exhausting to watch at home with free reign to get up and move around, eat and FF. He's human and everyone makes mistakes. Compared to all the crappy stuff going on, if this was the worst thing that happened at the Oscars at least people are talking about something else and nobody got hurt.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, slf said:

I will say this: Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone handled it well, with Gosling kind of smiling into his hand over the whole thing and rushing forward to congratulate the cast/crew of Moonlight. Emma Stone also rushed over, all smiles, to congratulate the Moonlight crew. The LLL producer was the classiest of the bunch, of course. Loved him just yanking the card out of Beatty's hand and holding it up for the cameras.

Still don't know wtf the guy who started giving a speech was thinking.

I agree about the ones who handled things well. They all have points in my book now for that.

Its funny that I am seeing people post that they know what Moonlight is now.  Not everyone watches or cares about the Oscars but it seems Moonlight is well know now. La La Land also but that seems to have been a bit more know thanks to higher box office.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 2

Watching back the entire clip again and I think my favorite reaction from the crowd was Taraji's. So shocked with her mouth hanging open but was still aware enough to capture the entire thing on video on her phone. Haha!

Ripped out of Empire, I tell you!

Otherwise, it sounds like he's telling everyone to call him Warren Beatty.  Commas matter. 

I want to give you an Oscar just for this.

• Love 9

I ask this in all seriousness since I've never seen her in anything except Bonnie and Clyde (and therefore have never paid her much mind) but what has Faye done to earn the diva title?

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Since when is someone who is in their 40s and 50s a millennial? Please explain. As a millennial those ages are too old for our generation, but you know according to you I mess everything up because I am a millennial.

Yeah we're Gen X'ers.

• Love 2

I dunno if anyone needs to lose their job over it.  It's just a damn movie.  There are starving people in the world.

But nothing will ever be funnier than Warren Beatty coming forward to explain it wasn't his fault.

Great way to end the show.

• Love 7

It occurred to me that I finally learned how Viola Davis pronounces her name.  When I first heard of her some years back, I thought her name was pronounced like the instrument, which I have always said as "vee-OH-luh".  The ABC/TGIT announcer lady always seems to say "VIE-uh-luh".  However, during her own speech, she said something to the effect of "and people always say to me, Viola, how do you do this".  And she pronounced her name as "vie-OH-luh" with a long O and the stress on the second syllable.  Interesting.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

I ask this in all seriousness since I've never seen her in anything except Bonnie and Clyde (and therefore have never paid her much mind) but what has Faye done to earn the diva title?

She is a legend.  Chinatown, Network, Mommie Dearest... those are probably her most famous roles in addition to B&C.  I believe she was always known for being very demanding and she acquired a reputation for being difficult.  Then again, many actors acquire a reputation for being difficult.

I have to confess that looks-wise, I often confuse her with the French legend Catherine Deneuve.  I think they are about the same age and to me they resemble each other.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, CaughtOnTape said:

But nothing will ever be funnier than Warren Beatty coming forward to explain it wasn't his fault.

I was thinking he probably wanted to make sure that he wasn't coming off as senile like Clint Eastwood kind of did when he did that empty chair bit.

• Love 24
10 minutes ago, blackwing said:

It occurred to me that I finally learned how Viola Davis pronounces her name.  When I first heard of her some years back, I thought her name was pronounced like the instrument, which I have always said as "vee-OH-luh".  The ABC/TGIT announcer lady always seems to say "VIE-uh-luh".  However, during her own speech, she said something to the effect of "and people always say to me, Viola, how do you do this".  And she pronounced her name as "vie-OH-luh" with a long O and the stress on the second syllable.  Interesting.

I only know because she had a small part in one of my favorite movies, "Out of Sight." On the director's commentary, he said her name a few times and mentioned that she's a great theater actress. And that he was glad to get her for the role. 

6 minutes ago, blackwing said:

She is a legend.  Chinatown, Network, Mommie Dearest... those are probably her most famous roles in addition to B&C.  I believe she was always known for being very demanding and she acquired a reputation for being difficult.  Then again, many actors acquire a reputation for being difficult.

Mommie Dearest was the first Faye Dunaway movie I ever watched. That movie freaked me out, and I've been afraid of Faye Dunaway ever since. 

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Since when is someone who is in their 40s and 50s a millennial? Please explain. As a millennial those ages are too old for our generation, but you know according to you I mess everything up because I am a millennial.

LOL. The Partners (the big bosses), not the lowly staffers, ALWAYS handle these tasks at events like this. Big Four CPA firms (I know because my husband works for one and the firm he works for just did the count for one of the awards shows earlier this year) send the Partners in charge of the auditing of the count to these events, not senior managers, not managers, not senior staff, etc. To make sure that the exact thing that happened last night wouldn't happen. 

As you can see, the two people scrambling around the stage during all the confusion, who are clearly not from the industry - older guy and lady in the red dress - were the ones from PWC. Those are big bosses. Those are not some interns or fresh grads that they just hired.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

LOL. The Partners (the big bosses), not the lowly staffers, ALWAYS handle these tasks at events like this. Big Four CPA firms (I know because my husband works for one) send the Partners in charge of the auditing of the count to these events, not senior managers, not managers, not senior staff, etc. To make sure that the exact thing that happened last night wouldn't happen. 

As you can see, the two people scrambling around the stage during all the confusion, who are clearly not from the industry - older guy and lady in the dress - were the ones from PWC. Those are big bosses. Those are not some interns or fresh grads that they just hired.

Exactly. However, everyone wants to blame the entry level staff or interns who have nothing to do with this screw up.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, topanga said:

I only know because she had a small part in one of my favorite movies, "Out of Sight."

This!  And her role in, "Antwoine Fisher?"  Sublime.  She is a force--so happy for her.

Hey, Kimmel...what is wrong with, "We Bought A Zoo?"   

Edited by absolutqt
Spelling
  • Love 6