Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

E just posted a closeup of the envelope in Warren's hand.  On the outside, it was printed with 'Best Actress Leading Role', so he did indeed have the wrong envelope.  Emma said she was holding her envelope backstage, so there must've been 2 envelopes with Best Actress.  Maybe they do that so that if the presenter tears the card, they can give an intact one to the winner.

• Love 4

Here's an excerpt from the HuffPo article about possibly messing up the envelopes. Fully humiliating now.

"PwC has protocol should such a glitch occur. Heading into Oscar night, only two people know the winners list: Brian Cullinan and Martha Ruiz, who supervise the counting procedures. They’re the briefcase holders who walk the red carpet every year and often appear at some point during the show.

The tally involves enough redundancies to ensure accuracy, as does the stuffing of the envelopes. “It’s him checking me and me checking him, and we do it multiple times against each other to make sure that when we leave and are ultimately handing the envelopes to someone, we’re very confident they’re getting the right envelopes and the contents in them are accurate,” Ruiz said"

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

E just posted a closeup of the envelope in Warren's hand.  On the outside, it was printed with 'Best Actress Leading Role', so he did indeed have the wrong envelope.  Emma said she was holding her envelope backstage, so there must've been 2 envelopes with Best Actress.  Maybe they do that so that if the presenter tears the card, they can give an intact one to the winner.

So the envelopes are marked, somebody's ass is definitely in a sling tomorrow then.  There's  no excuse whatsoever for that.  Stage hand or Price Waterhouse with the briefcase handcuffed to his wrist?

• Love 2

I wanted Viola Davis, Isabelle Huppert, Natalie Portman, and Annette Bening with maybe Amy Adams as the Best Actress nominees. Then I'd have given it to any of the first four, probably either Davis or Bening tho.

Emma Stone for LLL? Why? (It's not like I think only dramatic performances can win. I don't. I just don't think she did anything worth mentioning in that film, nothing at all. I've seen more memorable performances in insurance commercials.)

• Love 6

I stated earlier that at I don't feel bad for Moonlight because this is a big boost for their recognition.  Who I DO feel bad for is that poor guy sporting the headset who was wandering around the stage trying to get people to let go of their Oscars so he could re-distribute.

The last guy for LLL was an ass.  He was determined to get his speech in while things were getting sorted while he already knew they didn't win, as he blurted it out before the main LLL guy came over and grabbed the mic away from him.

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, Unusual Suspect said:

I'm suddenly reminded of ending of Naked Gun 33 1/3.

Between the OJ win and resultant jokes, and George Kennedy appearing in the In Memoriam segment, I'm surprised they didn't cut to Fred Ward bungie jumping up in the rafters with the correct envelope!

• Love 7

Forget waiting until tomorrow, I think heads are already rolling. This was so embarrassing for the Oscars, I'm sure they're embracing the Kylo Ren method of overreacting right now!

I feel bad for everyone involved with both movies and thought that they all handled it very gracefully, but the Moonlight people deserved to have their big moment not be a half-baked mess of wtf and it SUCKS for the LLL people. That said, I'm glad La La Land didn't win. It's a thoroughly mediocre film that was hugely, ridiculously overrated. I didn't manage to see Moonlight but I saw several of the other Best Picture nominees and they were all much, much better than LLL.

no way was that staged.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, laffytaffy997 said:

At first when that one producer said, "moonlight, actually you won," I thought he was pulling an Adele from the Grammys and as trying to be modest by saying actually you guys deserve this more than us.

I did, too. Who was it that tried to give his Oscar (or was it an Emmy/GG?) to Jack Lemmon some years ago? It immediately reminded me of that.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Lord Donia said:

Sorry, but it looked to me like Warren gave Faye the envelope in an "I'm washing my hands of this" way, so he couldn't be blamed later.

I think it was a "here look at this" move.  There were about 20 or so seconds between Warren opening the envelope and Faye reading the award.  Warren looked in the envelope for another card.  And it looked like he looked off stage.  He probably shouldn't have done the very slooooow "And the award.........for best picture........." bit but it seemed like he expected someone to run out at any second with the right card.  And he wanted Faye to see why he was vamping. I don't think he wanted her to read it.

I read that there may be duplicate cards.  One copy for each side of the stage. 

Who was it that tried to give his Oscar (or was it an Emmy/GG?) to Jack Lemmon some years ago? It immediately reminded me of that.

I thought Kevin Spacey since he was a big fan but I stand corrected. See below.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 9

It was Ving Rhames who won the Golden Globe for playing Don King. I thought it was unnecessary since Jack Lemmon had already won a bunch over the years, like for Some Like it Hot and The Apartment.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Sile said:

I stated earlier that at I don't feel bad for Moonlight because this is a big boost for their recognition.  Who I DO feel bad for is that poor guy sporting the headset who was wandering around the stage trying to get people to let go of their Oscars so he could re-distribute.

The last guy for LLL was an ass.  He was determined to get his speech in while things were getting sorted while he already knew they didn't win, as he blurted it out before the main LLL guy came over and grabbed the mic away from him.

I don't know...considering how many deserving people never get the opportunity to stand on stage and maker that speech, I can't really blame him for doing that because he might never get up there again.   He gave a shout out to some people he cared about.  Why not.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ichbin said:

I don't know...considering how many deserving people never get the opportunity to stand on stage and maker that speech, I can't really blame him for doing that because he might never get up there again.   He gave a shout out to some people he cared about.  Why not.

Because if you knew it was wrong, why prolong the mistake? 

• Love 10

I distinctly recall the actors from 50 Shades of Grey being on the stage at one point, so the Best Picture confusion wasn't the only thing that whoever was responsible for running this year's show bungled horribly. Are the Golden Raspberry Awards held in the same building on the same night?

• Love 9

Honestly though, not winning is probably the best thing that happened for La La Land. It doesn't become another undeserved "Best Picture" like The Artist, and more people are going to check out Moonlight.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, double-elvis said:

My question is how would there even be 2 Best Actress envelopes floating around? And how did the right Best Picture one just appear? It's so strange. 

Maybe they have back up envelopes? The production guy that ran out knew that LaLa didn't win and he had the right envelope.

• Love 1

Some thoughts about the mix-up

1.  There will be someone checking the envelopes from now on, before the presenter goes on stage.  That way no one has a duplicate envelope, or just the wrong one.  I'm surprised that's not the case already, unless that fact's already been posted.

2. They had the category written in teeny tiny letters at the bottom, so I can see why Warren only saw Emma Stone and LaLa Land vs reading the Best Actress part.  They should probably have the actual category blown up in big letters so it's easier to read.  

3.  Props to Jordan Horowitz for shutting that shit down immediately after he realized what was going on.  I felt so bad for that guy giving his speech while everyone was figuring out what actually happened.  And I was RME at Jimmy's "can't we just give the Oscars to both LaLaLand and Moonlight?"  It's not a t-ball participation award, it's a damn Oscar, and Moonlight won it.  Glad that Jordan responded "I'm proud to give this to the cast and crew of Moonlight" and motioned them to come onstage.

24 minutes ago, okerry said:

Who was it that tried to give his Oscar (or was it an Emmy/GG?) to Jack Lemmon some years ago? It immediately reminded me of that.

I remember that, too.  It was Ving Rhames who gave his Oscar to Jack Lemmon.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

They must have, right? It seems like whoever gave the envelope just had a brain fart and gave the next envelope in line instead of the one at the bottom of the pile?

Yes, with the 2 briefcases. Emma's envelope had to have been taken from 1 briefcase. Then the Best Picture had to have been taken from the 2nd briefcase. Emma's was still in that one and they gave it instead of the Best Picture one.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Sile said:

I don't blame Warren at all.  He wasn't sure, so he would not announce the winner.  Faye Dunaway was the one who just glanced at it at blurted out the first movie title she saw on the card.  It looked like she hit the bricks after and left Warren holding the bag.

I'm surprised they don't have the envelopes themselves marked with big, bold letters as to which award it's holding.  Or even color coding the envelopes.  Bet that will change next year.

NPH tweeted a blown up screengrab of the envelope. It clearly says "Actress in a Leading Role." Leo didn't give Emma her envelope. I wonder if that was part of the snafu backstage?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

NPH tweeted a blown up screengrab of the envelope. It clearly says "Actress in a Leading Role." Leo didn't give Emma her envelope. I wonder if that was part of the snafu backstage?

Leo DID give Emma her envelope. There were duplicate Best Actress envelopes and the person mistakenly gave Warren the second one instead of the Best Picture one. 

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, P2C2E said:

Because if you knew it was wrong, why prolong the mistake? 

Actually he tried to wave off speaking precisely because he knew what was happening. If you watch again, you'll see him make a no, no gesture with his hand. He only went to the mic to fill airtime while the others continued to sort out the issue. I'm sure his wife appreciated it.

• Love 3

So it seems that the envelopes to back and forth from the two briefcases.  Award #1 comes from, let's say, the briefcase off stage right, Award #2 off stage left, and back and forth until the show is done.  To be fair, if this has always been the order, it's only failed one time and that was human error.  I don't know how long the accountants have been doing this but I do know it's long enough that their track record is impressive and law of numbers say that this had to happen sometime.  Sucks that it was now all the same.  What I suspect may happen in the future is that the envelopes will all be given from one of the briefcases, to avoid such a mistake, and the second one will not only be backup but will also have the second envelope opened and read by an Oscar producer/stage hand/Academy member as the winner is announced as another way to verify that it is correct.  Also, I think it's safe to say that they'll start putting the award title in giant font along with the winner.  If Best Actress In A Leading Role was in the same size font as Emma Stone, then Faye hopefully would have immediately realized why Warren was confused and done something about it herself.

• Love 2

I don't blame Beatty for being confused. I do blame him for throwing it all on Faye Dunaway and then standing up there and rambling on instead of just getting out of the way and letting the Moonlight team have its moment. 

The La La Land producer Jordan Horowitz handled it best. Everyone else appeared to be dithering about what to do, and Horowitz was just like, "Okay, fuck it, let's end this nonsense." Kimmel also handled it well, I thought, trying to smooth over the awkwardness (and I normally can't stand Kimmel). However, Damien Chazelle looked like he was going to murder someone.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Actually he tried to wave off speaking precisely because he knew what was happening. If you watch again, you'll see him make a no, no gesture with his hand. He only went to the mic to fill airtime while the others continued to sort out the issue. I'm sure his wife appreciated it.

Yeah, I noticed that. We could see him and the other producer learn the truth while the other guy was speaking, and he tried to wave off the invitation to come to the mic next because he knew it was all a mistake.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Mystery said:

It's odd because it's not like Emma's award was the previous one. Those cards were really mixed up.

I think it was the previous one. Didn't it go Casey-Emma-Best Picture?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

I do blame him for throwing it all on Faye Dunaway and then standing up there and rambling on instead of just getting out of the way and letting the Moonlight team have its moment. 

I don't think he was trying to throw it on her. I think he was legitimately confused and basically turned to her in an "are you seeing what I'm seeing" sort of way. I do put this a little on her. If she had just read it a little more carefully before blurting out the name this possibly could have been avoided. I did think it was a little annoying that he rambled after it happened, but I think there was still massive confusion happening on the stage and the "Moonlight" people were still coming up/processing everything. Plus, an explanation did need to be given.

• Love 18

This was a pretty safe, boring Oscars night. I was wrong on a lot of picks (I bet on La La Land too much) but I'm glad they didn't win screenwriting or Best Picture. My parents threw me out of the room the moment they announced La La Land. But I was in another chat room so I heard about the nonsense and quickly found a clip to watch online. That was amazing. For the record, Faye announced the wrong name and since this the first year in recent memory that I recall them not bringing the accountants out, I call SHENANIGANS! I hope Moonlight wasn't shortchanged their speech time. 

• Love 3