Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, jjj said:

THEY SHOULD HAVE RE-DONE THE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR REAL.  And let the Moonlight crew come up in an excited, dignified way, not, "Stop screwing with us, we know this is not real."  What a disgrace. 

Agree very undignified way to handle it.  The accountants or pres of the academy should have come out.

• Love 7

Warren tried to pass it off but Faye was no help at all.  I wish she had looked at the card he was trying to show her and maybe she would have seen it said Best Actress.

Maybe each award has two envelopes?  One to give to the winner and one to keep in a vault somewhere?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

I was so bummed when they announced Lala Land won.   I almost turned the TV off.  I don't give two hoots about Lala Land. 

But Moonlight won and I guess that's what really matters.  Still, it really sucks they didn't get their moment.  I mean ... they got a moment, lol.  Just not the one everyone dreams of.  

• Love 5
Just now, vb68 said:

That just may be the weirdest thing that ever happened at the Oscars.

I went to the kitchen for something and missed it and now my timeline is blowing up with Holy Shit-esque reactions. What did I miss?

• Love 1
Just now, mojoween said:

Warren tried to pass it off but Faye was no help at all.  I wish she had looked at the card he was trying to show her and maybe she would have seen it said Beat Actress.

Maybe each award has two envelopes?  One to give to the winner and one to keep in a vault somewhere?

You could tell he was super confused and she just took the card and read it without looking at the fine print. SO AWKWARD!

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I was looking down, was the guy who held up the card one of La La Land's producers?  So he happened to be looking at the card and noticed it wasn't his award to keep?

Someone else realized that they had the wrong envelope, I don't think he even had it when he was talking.  He had just finished his speech when someone, it seems, told him there was something wrong and he was the one saying "no, no, this is real, there's been a mistake".   Though, I think he eventually was the one holding up the card for the camera.

• Love 1

Holy crap, that was crazy.  I don't know if it was staged, but that took the show from "meh" to "what the shit is going on?" 

I feel bad for both the people in La La Land and Moonlight.  How embarrassing to have to leave the stage because you didn't actually win, and on the flip side, being robbed of your moment to accept the award.

This explains why Warren was staring at the envelope like that.  If that wasn't planned, someone's getting in a lot of trouble for that blunder.

• Love 15

I can't believe that happened. Could you just imagine backstage when they realized the wrong award winner had been read?

How awful for the LaLa Land guy to give a speech and then hold up the card with the real winner on it. 

This better not be a stunt, bc it would be the shittiest thing ever. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Sugar said:

Innocent until proven guilty, y'all.

That applies to criminal cases, This was a civil case.  A civil case that was settled and therefore it's over.  No doubt, civil cases are sometimes settled to simply make them go away but I think it's beyond fair for one to see that it was settled and reach the conclusion that the women who filed suit had a legitimate complaint and that he's at least guilty-ish. 

But as I was typing this....that best picture thing was wow.  Thankfully, the La La people handled it with grace.  And I'm happy Moonlight won but too bad it was such a cluster.  People will be talking more about the mess up than they will about the movie.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 16

They just showed that guy holding up the card on the news and it said Moonlight in big letters, then the producers names under that, then way at the bottom of the card Best Picture in teensy letters.

So yeah.  Anyone whose eyesight isn't what it used to be probably wouldn't have seen the category name.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Warren did look confused and even looked in the envelope again. I thought he was sort of doing a bit or trying to be funny. I was thinking get on with it.

Me too.  Feel bad that he's going to be the goat for this.

i still wonder if this was a stunt pulled by Jimmy.  He didn't seem upset making jokes about Harvey.

• Love 2
Just now, mojoween said:

They just showed that guy holding up the card on the news and it said Moonlight in big letters, then the producers names under that, then way at the bottom of the card Best Picture in teensy letters.

So yeah.  Anyone whose eyesight isn't what it used to be probably wouldn't have seen the category name.

But Faye just took the card from Warren, as he was doing a double take, and read it, without looking at it.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

But it then wouldn't it have said Emma Stone in big letters?

• Love 1

When I saw that guy with the headset walking back and forth holding the red envelope amongst the La La Land people, I had a funny feeling, and thought, oh crap.... did announce the wrong winner?

They'll be talking about this for a loooong time. You can be sure they will fix it next year so it never happens again.

• Love 4

Clearly this was NOT staged.  The wrong card was in the envelope and Warren was probably about to announce that he had the wrong card, when Faye grabbed it she just saw the movie title and blurted it out.  We thought he was fooling around and so did she.  

• Love 17
Just now, Diana Berry said:

i still wonder if this was a stunt pulled by Jimmy.  He didn't seem upset making jokes about Harvey.

I rewatched reading the winner, and he actually showed the card to Faye like he didn't know what to do, and she announced the winner.  So he really shouldn't get the blame. 

Jimmy never seems that upset about anything.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, Diana Berry said:

No I don't believe it's a stunt.  I think he didn't know what to do about any of it

• Love 9

Storm in a teacup.  You'd think this was a world crisis. Jeez, you have an administrative screwup and expect Beatty to think on his feet (he did well, IMO).  As Kimmel said, it's just an award show for goodness sakes.

• Love 14
Just now, jcin617 said:

But it then wouldn't it have said Emma Stone in big letters?

I think that's what caused Warren's confusion.

I really don't feel bad for Moonlight.  Yes, they missed the "moment" that everybody else gets, but they got a "moment" all of their own.  This is the one everybody will talk about, it will be forever shown and talked about on shows in the future and NOBODY will ever forget that Moonlight won Best Picture.

• Love 16
Just now, Brn2bwild said:

Why would you bother to stage such a thing?  It hurts both the Moonlight and Lala Land production crews.

I'm already more inclined to watch next year's show because of this.

Something is fishy when the first time they screw up they just happen to screw up on the biggest award of the night. They couldn't have screwed up one of the editing or sound mixing awards?

I also feel bad for Warren and Faye.  They have to be embarrassed as hell and mortified.

Whenever I see something like that, I always think "Thank god I didn't do it!"  

Edited by vb68
  • Love 21

This is someone's worst nightmare on the production side.  Somebody backstage was screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" for about thirty seconds while the rest of production was running like mad.  (Not that I was there, but I've done producing of events.)

• Love 23
2 minutes ago, Superpole2000 said:

Something is fishy when the first time they screw up they just happen to screw up on the biggest award of the night. They couldn't have screwed up one of the editing or sound mixing awards?

Who's to say they didn't .... 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 1

I was doing my hair and sitting under a hood dryer while watching with closed caption and just saw somebody with a headset walking back and forth and a bunch of commotion and  not until the LLL guy held up the card that said Moonlight did I realize what was happening ha! 

I saw Moonlight but was alittle underwhelmed by it. It makes me wish Fruitvale could've gotten the same love a few years back since I thought it was in a much better film.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, DHDancer said:

Storm in a teacup.  You'd think this was a world crisis. Jeez, you have an administrative screwup and expect Beatty to think on his feet (he did well, IMO).  As Kimmel said, it's just an award show for goodness sakes.

Yes!  This was NOT staged, it was a mistake, that is all.  No harm done.  A few disappointed people but they are over it already.   

• Love 3