Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, roamyn said:

No, Bowie died the first week of Jan, Prince died toward the end of April.

I stand corrected, but my main point is that this is why Bowie got his tribute last year and Prince got his this year.  I think Bill Paxton will be in the 2018 In Memoriam segment, if Jennifer Aniston's mention isn't counted as his tribute.

Just now, elle said:

Ah, sorry - for some reason I remember Bowie and Prince as an awful one-two punch and assumed they were proximate in time.

I think that most people feel that way. It seemed like I wasn't done feeling sad over Bowie and then Prince was gone. It did feel close.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I'm glad Kimmel doesn't disappear for the middle of the show as some hosts do.  BUT, when Carson used to host, he just hosted. He didn' t need to bring Karnac or any of his characters out to play.

Carson was great. He was respectful but distant. He didn't feel the need to suck up. I posted this earlier in the day, but Nick Kroll and John Mullaney hosted the Independent Spirit awards and were really funny. They will NEVeR get this gig but that would be my dream hosts.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

The Jimmy vs. Matt thing is really old, but that still made me laugh. I especially loved Ben's "really" after Matt said he was proud of We Bought a Zoo.

Seems kind of biased for them to present when Manchester by the Sea though.

I also enjoyed Ben's 'this is your fault' as well.

You want biased, I remember Kirk and Michael Douglas announcing Best Picture when Chicago won.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Rumor is that Good Will Hunting was EXTREMELY script-doctored by William Goldman. These two boobs envisioned it as a spy thriller. 

You reminded me that Carrie Fisher was also a talented script doctor.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

This has no chance of ending by midnight. Maybe I'll be late to work tomorrow. My techs won't be there anyway until at least 10. 

Wait - getting to work at 10 is late?  

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I am so over the Kimmel/Damon shtick.

I was over it before I even knew about it!

Seriously, during that awful Kimmel/orchestra playing off Matt/presenter bit, I thought if I was a nominee I'd be put out thinking "you won't let me finish my speech, but you have time for that?!"

• Love 3

And Damien Chazelle wins.  Hopefully he gets back home before his curfew!

In all seriousness, I adored Whiplash and I was curious to see where he would go from it.  Did not predict he would already be winning an Oscar for his next film!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 6