Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, vb68 said:

Wish we could just skip mean tweets.

Yeah I didn't find that funny. On one hand, yeah, it's mean to say these things to people. On the other hand, they are very wealthy doing something millions wish they could do, so on a list of injustices i the world, it ranks very low.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Moose135 said:

Am I the only one who wishes that they wouldn't thank their parents and their third grade teachers in acceptance speeches?

I am fine with it. My parents were teachers so if I ever get nominated and win (which will never happen because the oscars have nothing to do with my career) I could do both in one swoop.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Ryan and Emma sang better in the movie than John is doing here.

Really? I think John Legend is singing way better than either did in the film. I believe Emma can sing better than she did in La La Land. I am not sure about Ryan because this was the first time I heard him sing.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Misslindsey said:

I am fine with it. My parents were teachers so if I ever get nominated and win (which will never happen because the oscars have nothing to do with my career) I could do both in one swoop.

My mom was a teacher.  And my high school drama teacher changed my life.  If I ever win a Tony for best stage doorman, I would thank him.  

• Love 10
1 minute ago, wallflower75 said:

Someone earlier on--I think it was in this thread--mentioned that City of Stars reminded them of "The Rainbow Connection."  Having heard it, I must agree.

I only wish City of Stars was sung by Kermit the Frog. 

• Love 15

I really like the La La Land soundtrack but if all I knew of the movie or the film was from John Legend singing those two songs ... I'd probably hate it. Those songs are better than they were just performed. What was with his over-enunaciation?

Edited by McManda
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

Someone earlier on--I think it was in this thread--mentioned that City of Stars reminded them of "The Rainbow Connection."  Having heard it, I must agree.

OMG YES. Thank you. That's what it sounds like.

• Love 3

Well, I don't think this gig is going to burnish Kimmel's reputation or anything. I watch and enjoy his show so it was fine for me, but he ported over too many of his own bits which displaced too much of the actual giving out of awards. It's possible the theater people enjoyed them more in person, but then, I'm sure they can't wait for it to be over, either.

• Love 2

"Great movies can make you laugh, and make you cry." Some crackerjack writing there.  Literally the same as a Krusty the Klown speech from an old Simpson ep where he gave an award to Grandpa Simpson an Itchy and Scratchy ep.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, McManda said:

I really like the La La Land soundtrack but if all I knew of the movie or the film was from John Legend singing those two songs ... I'd probably hate it. What was with his over-enunaciation?

He mentioned during the pre-show he just learned the songs and was nervous so perhaps he was overcompensating.

OMG the score from Moonlight was haunting and so should have won.  And I'm only going by the clip they just showed because I've not seen either film.

• Love 2

Oh, the orchestra is actually there!  A year or two ago, they had them off-site, with audio/video connection, since what is heard is the electronically transmitted sound, not coming from the actual pit. 

• Love 1

This show is always SO long.  Ten years ago we were watching the telecast and after Best Supporting Actor/Actress award was given out, my hubby got up to make us more snacks.  He ended up cutting his hand and needed to see a doctor.  We got dressed, drove 40 minutes to the ER, he got X-Rays and stitches, we drove another 40 minutes to get home and they were just giving out the awards for best screenplay.  True story.

• Love 13