Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I love her dress! That is my favorite so far. So I hope she is not just for the reason that I do not want to be so impressed by a maternity dress.

Nothing wrong with maternity. I still remember Catherine Zeta-Jones at an awards show while she was pregnant. I am a straight woman but damn, her chest looked amazing. It often goes wrong but like plus-size fashions, there's no reason it can't work if you've got a designer who is actually willing to use their brain.

I'm sure Reese and Scarlett and J. Lo will be presenters so I'll just throw in my thoughts later during the show. Update: Fucked My Way Up to the Top -Lana del Ray. My Spotify shuffle is feeling cheeky as well. 

• Love 1

If anyone has a minute as you wait for the show to start, and can recap the Melanie/Dakota convo, that would be great.  I've seen several references to it, have no idea what it was. 

I think Anna Kendrick looks like a beautiful tulip in that coral-colored gown. 

• Love 1

Is it weird that Emma Stone's nomination was/is the best surprise for me even though I still haven't seen Birdman?

I like Emma Stone and thought she was great in Birdman. She seems like someone I would like to hang around with. Birdman and The Imitation Game were my favorite films this year.

Rosamund Pike taking the honors on the red carpet. So far.

I get that it is her moment right now, but watching Dakota Johnson on the red carpet really makes me wonder what the fuss is about.

And to be mean for second, I find it incredible how mousy looking she is. Especially when you consider her mother is Melanie Griffith and her grandmother is Tippi Hedren. Dakota must take after her dad's side of the family.

I just have to take exception to your last sentence because in his prime, Don Johnson was one of the best looking men on the planet!
  • Love 8

J-Lo should really not wear a dress that is the same color as she is. Especially when that color is not found in nature. 

But it is a moot point. Naomi Watts has arrived. The rest of the ladies can switch out of their expensive dresses and into sweats. They've all been beat. 

I just have to take exception to your last sentence because in his prime, Don Johnson was one of the best looking men on the planet!

Don Johnson was, and still is, a good looking man.

But unless Dakota Johnson transforms into a man in her mid to late 30's (her father's Miami Vice prime), those good looks simply do not translate well to the flavor of the month starlet. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 3

Bad lipstick color for Naomi.  I kinda like the dress.  It verges on hootchie, but she can carry it off.  Her hair needs help.

Honesty time. White ladies. "Natural" hair does not mean quite the same thing for you. You still have to use a brush. Stop listening to Nina Garcia. That is all.

• Love 1

I don't even understand Gwyneth's earrings let alone the dress. 

Naomi Watts is beautiful but the makeup was a miss. I didn't mind the dress though. 

Guiliana's dress is part of the reason I keep switching back and forth between E and ABC.

If anyone has a minute as you wait for the show to start, and can recap the Melanie/Dakota convo, that would be great.  I've seen several references to it, have no idea what it was. 

I think Anna Kendrick looks like a beautiful tulip in that coral-colored gown. 

I thought it was more amusing than anything else, but the interviewer basically asked Melanie of she'd see 50shadesblahblah and she was sort of weird and said no and kind of seemed like it was an Eternal No. Then Dakota said maybe one day. And the interviewer asked again and it went back and forth in this no/maybe/probably no/maybe/probably not/geez mom chill out kind of thing.

I thought it was funny just because, right outta the gate, the interviewer made it awkward and it just got......more awkward.

Edited by hardy har
  • Love 4

Bravo! to the comment above about Dakota needing to check her attitude. If Dakota does not want to hear for the millionth time about her mother not watching 50 Shades, then she should either fake a fucking smile or she should not have her mother at the Oscars. I agree, Dakoita better enjoy her fame right now, if she is at all. I see nothing spectacular about her other than she is Melanie's daughter.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 2

Debating whether or not to keep twitter open. I'm sure with my attention so divided my spelling has already taken a hit. If the interviews were going to be so garbage I wish they'd just march them up to pose in their finery and then let them go (e.g. the fashion cam but with cards explaining who they were).

Why does Scarlett Johannson have moss growing around her neck?

Not keen on Jennifer Aniston's dress, it makes her look oddly short-waisted.

Taya Kyle was a big part in the final production of American Sniper, I'm not surprised she's there tonight.  And maybe being away from the trial for a lighter celebration of her husband is a good thing for her right now.  It would be cool if Stephen Hawking came.

• Love 3

I thought it was more amusing than anything else, but the interviewer basically asked Melanie of she'd see 50shadesblahblah and she was sort of weird and said no and kind of seemed like it was an Eternal No. Then Dakota said maybe one day. And the interviewer asked again and it went back and forth in this no/maybe/probably no/maybe/probably not/geez mom chill out kind of thing.

I thought it was funny just because, right outta the gate, the interviewer made it awkward and it just got......more awkward.

Many thanks, and also NYGirl for the video!  West Coast here, still at work!  "Work", sure. 

Honesty time. White ladies. "Natural" hair does not mean quite the same thing for you. You still have to use a brush. Stop listening to Nina Garcia. That is all.

The commercial on E! where Zanna RR was styled to be "red carpet ready" and went trotting out to the flashbulbs--hysterical.  Her hair STILL looked like she'd just sat up in bed for a morning stretch.