Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I really hope the ratings tank this year.  I'm so over the pampered celebs using awards ceremonies for personal political rants.  Say your thank yous to everyone who has helped you get rich and shut up about politics.  Will not be watching.

• Love 1

I'll start watching E!'s coverage when celebs start showing up, then I'll flip between them and ABC when ABC's coverage starts.  And then, of course, I'll watch the ceremony until the bitter end.  I've already warned my co-workers that I might be cranky from lack of sleep tomorrow morning.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I'll start watching E!'s coverage when celebs start showing up, then I'll flip between them and ABC when ABC's coverage starts.  And then, of course, I'll watch the ceremony until the bitter end.  I've already warned my co-workers that I might be cranky from lack of sleep tomorrow morning.

Yes I flip between the two shows as well. While the ceremony may or may not be good I still enjoy Oscar day. I get my snacks ready and laugh at the show and comments people post. Sometimes someone who really deserves to win does and we get a good speech.  

• Love 3
16 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well if it's any consolation, he does have one Oscar and that's a lot more than many actors have. 

I know that he already has an Oscar.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't like for him to win another one, that's all I meant.  

I really enjoy Oscar day too. It's basically The Superbowl for movie fans and award watchers. And I'll admit, I'm looking forward to the speeches.

Just now though the news about Bill Paxton brings some sadness into it. But I think it will still be a good show.  

• Love 7
18 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

What may hurt Casey right now is not Denzel per se but the negative press around the lawsuit against him some years ago that was settled out of court. It's especially come back to bite him in the last few months because of the backlash against Nate Parker and many therefore making the situation a racial issue - in that Nate and Birth of a Nation basically got dumped from any Oscar contention because of Nate's alleged past crime while everyone is silent about Casey. 

EW released secret ballots among an actress, producer, marketing executive, writer and director. One of them, can't remember who, said he thought Casey's performance was the best among the lot. But he fears that voting for him means condoning what he did. So yes, the issue is definitely on the voters' mind and that bias, whether for or against, will affect Casey's chances on winning, whether fair or not.

I like the race for the lead performers this year. There is no one clear front-runner, so it should make for an exciting finish.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 3

There's no forum for this yet, but the Independent Spirit Awards were on last night and it's a great prep for the Osvars, in that it's a nice contrast to tonight's Very Important self-love fest.  John Mullaney and Nick Kroll hosted and were really funny; I know it will NEVER happen but they would be awesome Oscar hosts. 

12 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

There's no forum for this yet, but the Independent Spirit Awards were on last night and it's a great prep for the Osvars, in that it's a nice contrast to tonight's Very Important self-love fest.  John Mullaney and Nick Kroll hosted and were really funny; I know it will NEVER happen but they would be awesome Oscar hosts. 

There are some posts about the Independent Spirit Awards in the Everything Else Movies forum, 2017 Awards Season thread.  I do like the more relaxed atmosphere and people didn't seem to be as drunk as they usually are at the Golden Globes.  I think Mullaney and Kroll would be great hosts for the Oscars.  

• Love 1

Politics are like broccoli. Broccoli is important. It is good for you. One should make sure one eats enough broccoli to stay healthy because it gives one important nutrients. But sometimes, one is in the mood for a cookie and not for a cookie with lumps of broccoli embedded in it. Just a nice, tasty, empty-calorie cookie. A treat. That's not to say I hate broccoli (I like it), but sometimes I want just a treat.

The Oscars for me are a treat. The outfits, the stars, the movies, the entertainment and the over-the-topness. Empty-calorie cookies. A way to just have fun.

I've been a good girl. I've sat through two years of one of the ugliest elections in my lifetime. I can't turn on the news without being greeted with the latest antics of the Orange One. Nobody talks about the weather anymore - they just want to talk about Trump. Yes, Trump and his antics are important to discuss. Yes, it is good to stay abreast of the latest politics. Yes, Trump is a disaster. But, I need a break from Trump-Trump-Trump. I don't even live in the States or get American channels and I'm exhausted by politics.

I just want some empty calories before the news cycle starts up again. 

Why? Is the right to speak up as an American citizen limited only to the regular American person?

They can talk about whatever they like, but I have the right not to want to listen. I don't like Trump either, but I want to escape from him for a few hours. If the winners want to talk about him, talk on. I'm going to find something else to do if that starts up. A few political jokes are fine, but speech after speech will soon get tedious. I will leave that show to the people who want to hear politics all the time everywhere. I'm not trying to stop their speeches, I'm just trying to relax.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, slowpoked said:

Why? Is the right to speak up as an American citizen limited only to the regular American person?

No. But an event like the Oscars is intended to honor films and those who make them. Hijacking it to blast out one's personal political opinion is selfish and rude. There are plenty of appropriate forums where any citizen can say whatever they like. As the poster above said, "Please - no broccoli tonight! Just for once!"

• Love 3

I think sometimes things need to be said. Celebrities seem so unlike "regular folk" but alas, they have opinions too. I thought Leonardo DiCaprio devoting his speech last year to global warming was a very important and insightful thing for him to do.

• Love 18

Ladies and gentlemen, while it is true the Oscars may get political, this is PTV. Which means - as has been said more than once - PTV will not, no matter what is said. If one wishes to criticize actors for speaking up or wants to defend that right, there are boards catering to politics that will allow such debate.

This is not it.

Please respect this policy as any further political tangents will come with warnings, and I doubt any one of us wants that. Carry on.

I plan on watching tonight. Have only seen one nominated movie (Zootopia). Not much of a movie person . I wanted to see La La Land but it was already out of theatres by the time I got around to thinking about seeing it. I was supposed to see Hidden Figures with my mom but she went with my dad instead. Go figure. I am halfway through the book though. I'm mostly in it for the celebrity factor and the clothes :) I will have to record the second hour and jump in late after The Walking Dead (it's the one show my husband and I watch together) which sucks because I'll miss the banter here. 

Edited by Mountainair
8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I heard that too. Hope she and the baby are okay. But maybe she just doesn't feel like going? Doesn't hurt to rest every once in a while.

She and the baby are probably just fine but at this stage of her pregnancy I bet she is really uncomfortable and needs to pee every five minutes.  She has been there before and already has an Oscar so I can't imagine she would want to put herself through dressing up, walking a red carpet and sitting there for four hours watching the show in between waddling back and forth to the bathroom all night. (and you know that the nearest bathroom is located about a mile away from her seat) She is better off at home with her hubby, in comfy clothes, putting her feet up and being waited on by her loving hubby.   Enjoy your Oscar night Natalie.

Edited by movingtargetgal
  • Love 3

I salute Ruth Negga for her blue ribbon and for wearing sleeves. I have missed sleeves.

Felicity Jones's dress is unflattering but she accessorized well-that guy is very cute.

Thank god for the mute button. It's the only thing that makes E! endurable.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, movingtargetgal said:

She and the baby are probably just fine but at this stage of her pregnancy I bet she is really uncomfortable and needs to pee every five minutes.  She has been there before and already has an Oscar so I can't imagine she would want to put herself through dressing up, walking a red carpet and sitting there for four hours watching the show in between waddling back and forth to the bathroom all night. (and you know that the nearest bathroom is located about a mile away from her seat) She is better off at home with her hubby, in comfy clothes, putting her feet up and being waited on by her loving hubby.   Enjoy your Oscar night Natalie.

How far along is she? Wasn't she more pregnant at the time of her first win? But I understand, that one she was the undisputed front-runner, and so you would not want to miss your first Oscar. This year is more a toss-up.

Hope she and the baby just need some rest and it's not because of strict doctor's orders.

The blue ribbons are for the ACLU - American Civil Liberties Union according to Google. Apparently  lots of people will be wearing them tonight.

Edited by Sugar
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

What channel are you on, @Fostersmom?  I didn't see any dogs or Rachel Ray.

I'm watching E!. Ryan was interviewing someone and I saw a guy walk behind them carrying what I though was one dog and then I saw it was two. Lin's mom said Rachel Roy, but I thought she said Rachel Ray. LOL! I've never heard of Rachel Roy and Rachel Ray just didn't make any sense! 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Ah, Viggo.  <sigh>  Not so much his son, though.

It was funny when Ryan asked him how old he was like he was an 8 year old. 

Why is Giuliana absolutely orange? That's the worst fake tan I've seen in years. She looks like absolute ass. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Quof said:

Stop with the spoiled, precocious celebrity children.

And to think people like Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner fight to keep their kids out of the public eye.

Was that Wolfgang's son? I wasn't sure if it was or if it was a kid in some movie.