Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think she can be very good in the right role. She was very good in Winter's Bone and the Hunger Games movies. Her recent issue is that she's David O Russell's muse and he keeps casting her in roles that she's 10 years too young to play both looks and experience wise. When she doesn't have the requisite life experience to draw on to help her performance, she goes shrill, shrieky, and over the top.

I would add that I think she's great in American Hustle because "10 years too young to be playing the role she is" is the character in American Hustle.

• Love 7

You've got to imagine after that performance by Gaga and the moment with the survivors on stage, a lot of voters in this category had a very uncomfortable feeling knowing that they voted for the wrong song and hoped other voters made up for their mistake.  Alas, no.  Unbelievable.

I think this is going to be a lot like the Oscar that Crash won. As soon as it happened, everyone realized it was a mistake.

• Love 5

"Yes, identical looking cousins. Same father, different mother....I think"

Yup, and the mothers were also sisters. Frannie's mother, Jennifer, was married to Bob, who was seduced by Jen's sister, Kim.

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 1

YAAAAYYYY!!!! Spotlight was SOOO good!  So happy for it.  

And really happy for Leo. And loved his speech (and the fact that the orchestra didn't even attempt to start playing any music. There may have been a mutiny had they tried. Knew to just let him speak as long as he wanted!). 

Damn. Boo you whore. Plus, blah, blah, climate change. That's all well and good and, yes, important, but seriously, this venue? Nobody cares.

Given that the global audience for the Academy Awards is so huge, I completely understand why someone might take the time to bring attention to something as important as this. And whether we like it or not, actors/celebrities can have quite a bit of influence.  

edited b/c spelling is important

Edited by loriro
  • Love 8

Someone will have to make a movie based on Leo's quest for an Oscar because it would be insanity times a billion.

Wait...wait...who just won best picture? Wow...did not see that one coming. A bit left field.

• Love 1

Spotlight is a bit of a surprise since The Big Short won the PGA which is normally accurate. 

Ok, end of awards season.  Good night and see you at...the Tonys or Emmys whatever you prefer.  Good night!

How about both?!  

• Love 1

Huh.  It looked like they were taking shortbread cookies out of a thin mints box.

He had one sleeve that was already out of the box, so maybe it came from somewhere else. Buy why anyone would pick anything over thin mints is beyond me.

Really glad Spotlight won. I was pulling for the Martian, but this was my second choice. I was afraid they were going to give it to Mad Max.

• Love 4

"Yes, identical looking cousins. Same father, different mother....I think"

Yup, and the mothers were also sisters.

Only on the soaps, y'all.  Only on the soaps.

Having resigned myself to a win for The Revenant, I was thrilled when Morgan Freeman announced that Best Picture was Spotlight.  I saw it today and thought it was terrific.  Not knocking The Revenant, but I haven't seen it so I didn't have much rooting interest in it.

• Love 2

Thank, goodness! Yay for Leo. 

I still think he should have one for What's Eating Gilbert Grape.  I'm 100% serious.

He really should have. I worked a lot with autistic kids when the movie came out and his performance was masterful, the subtle ways he held himself, the facial expressions, the entire character was so very dead on it was like I was in a classroom with a student. 

• Love 16

Why is it that every time the Oscars' claim they are going to "shorten" the show, it ends up going longer than the last time?

I know they live in this alternate universe to begin with where a song about sexual abuse sung well is beaten out by a Bond song that sounds more like mating manatees, but come on.

How hard is it to cut down, a good 80%, on all the stupid and unfunny filler bits and just tell these people which ones go home a winner and which ones will be dipping their Thin Mints into tumblers of Gin as they try to force a Honda Civic off the road as payback.

• Love 5

He really should have. I worked a lot with autistic kids when the movie came out and his performance was masterful, the subtle ways he held himself, the facial expressions, the entire character was so very dead on it was like I was in a classroom with a student. 

I legitimately thought he was an autistic child playing in the role. Completely shocked to learn he wasn't. Just a masterful performance at such a young age.  I'm legit happy for Leo. I've always loved him.

I thought he was amazing as Howard Hughes too.

• Love 11

Is this a trend, or am I misremembering, that the director and film winners are not the same lately?

From what I could tell it looks like it's only happened about a dozen times, but it really started ticking up after 2009 when they expanded the best picture category.