Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I used to love reading these but now I hate them. They always come off as really bitter and petty. I usually end up thinking, "Thank goodness the Academy is expanding so rapidly so they can cancel out the idiots." 🙄

For whatever reason, it seems Indiewire always has the more decorous "honest Oscar ballots," and Hollywood Reporter has the bitchy/petty ones. I don't know if it's a matter of editing or if it has to do with the people they ask, but it's been consistent for years. Hollywood Reporter is where you get "this actress in her seventies, with a past Oscar nomination of her own" who says things like "I didn't even watch The Worst Person in the World. Why are they making a movie about the worst person in the world? Why not the best person in the world? We need more positive messages." And "I'm not voting for Steven Spielberg. He can walk around smiling all he wants, but we know the truth." And "Denzel shouldn't even have been nominated, because he's played that role on stage before, so he already knew the lines."

(Those aren't actual quotes.) 

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • LOL 6
12 minutes ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

An actor, director, producer, marketer, and casting director share their choices anonymously with EW. Read at your own risk. A lot of admissions of turning movies off halfway through or not watching them at all. But I am happy for the Penélope Cruz love.

https://ew.com/awards/oscars/2022-oscars-secret-ballot

I would love for Penelope to win an Oscar for her work with Pedro.  It sucks that her only Oscar came from a movie with a writer and director that I cannot stand., and that performance pales in comparison to the work she has done over the years with Pedro.  

• Love 2

Yeah...I actually do love my share of Woody Allen films, but not so many from the 21st century. He just started repeating himself and seeming out of touch with the world. Vicky Cristina Barcelona is one of the better ones from that period, and I was happy for Cruz when she won, but the Almodóvar films such as VolverBroken Embraces, and Parallel Mothers showcase the best of her. I hope they continue to work together for as long as he goes on. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I would love for Penelope to win an Oscar for her work with Pedro.  It sucks that her only Oscar came from a movie with a writer and director that I cannot stand., and that performance pales in comparison to the work she has done over the years with Pedro.  

Agreed. They have one of those great actor/director partnerships and seeing it be rewarded would be wonderful. I think both lead acting categories aren’t guaranteed so there’s a chance Penelope could win. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I've read a few of these anonymous voters and they've all commented on how they aren't voting for Dune because it's Part 1.

Maybe they simply felt it wasn't enough of a movie/story to qualify.  And they were just trying to be diplomatic. With that I would certainly agree.

I already thought that Penelope was amazing in VCB, so I better start watching these Almodovar films.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

it's a little ridiculous that CODA is most likely taking best picture, cause being from Europe I distinctly remember the French original and people just generally thought it was an adorable little movie, it wasn't like...a big cinematic masterpiece or doing anything particularly noteworthy. So that the American remake is now winning all these awards is kinda funny.

5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I already thought that Penelope was amazing in VCB, so I better start watching these Almodovar films.

They've made some great ones. I was watching them on HBO Max last year, but they're gone now. Loved her as the younger version of the mom in Pain and Glory, the nun in All About My Mother...Volver, I think, where she has to answer the door while trying to deal with a dead body, The guy asks about a spot of blood he sees on her, and she says, "Oh, you know. Women's business," and that works. LOL. 

She was great in the new one.  She or Olivia should get the Oscar if it's really about the best performance.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

What I remember about those EW anonymous interviews with Academy voters is how many said things like "I give the ballot to my granddaughter to fill out."

Just as the Academy used to kick out members who sold VHS and DVD screeners on EBay, they should figure out who these voters are and kick them out too. I know the publications would never reveal their sources but it's pretty ridiculous. 

• Love 1

I watched King Richard today.  I do like Will Smith and he did a great job in the movie.  But, an Oscar worthy performance?  No.  I hate all the crap like he’s paid his dues, he should have won for another movie, let’s give it to him now.

I was mortified reading the reasoning behind why some of those anonymous Academy voters vote the way they did.  And giving the ballot to your granddaughter?  Disgusting.

• Love 3

Governor's Awards given out.

What wasn’t as easy, in light of the ever-mutating variants of Covid-19, was actually pulling off a ceremony in which to honor the quintet.  In a “normal” year, this event would have been held in November, where it has also become a key stop for current Oscar hopefuls to “campaign,” or at least be seen....But when Covid didn’t cooperate, they were forced, like most other awards events, to reschedule, eventually coming up with the idea of making these Governors Awards a kickoff to Oscar weekend itself.

In retrospect, the idea seems inspired, as this turned out to be a rather warm and wonderful, actually intimate night, that did the Academy proud, a nice change from the steady drumbeat of consternation over its controversial move of pre-recording several categories in an untelevised first hour of the Oscars and then editing and rolling them into the actual telecast....

Will Packer, producer of this year’s Oscar show, was there, of course, having come straight from the Dolby Theatre below, where he had been doing music rehearsals all day....He did confirm (as I reported directly from the Governors Awards last night) that Jason Momoa and Josh Brolin will be hosting that 4pm un-televised hour, where those eight categories will first be announced. He also reemphasized that there will be a few surprises in the show, and that includes the Best Picture presenters. Could that be part of the promised 50th Anniversary Godfather tribute? I asked Rubin if that was the case, and he just smiled. When I noted the eclectic nature of the many presenters so far announced, including several Olympians, Rubin did tell me we will see a definite connection between the presenters, although he didn’t elaborate. He, too, is very excited about the way the show is shaping up

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I’ll be tuning into E! Tonight for the red carpet. I hope there’ll be a few others joining me :)

Yes, I just turned on E! Pasta for the red carpet and chocolate for the Oscar show. I'm all ready lol.

• Love 2

@Avabelle, I'm watching it in TV, so it's ok. I hope it works itself out.

@chitowngirl, you missed a couple. Lily James was gorgeous.  I'm not a big pastel person, but that color looked fantastic on her.  The liked the dress on the young girl who played Venus Williams.  Maddie Zeigler's dress was beautiful, as was she, but a little too mature for her, imo. I'd have liked it better on someone a little older.

Edited by Shannon L.

I love Jamie Lee Curtis.

I don’t love Laverne as the new host. I just think she comes off as too nervous. I’ve been waiting for her to improve with each show but I just don’t love her as the main presenter. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Why is Sean White at the Oscars? 

I think he's presenting.  They're trying to draw in a new audience.

Dear God, he's 35 already? I feel so old.  His poor mom looks shell shocked.

Rosie looks great in that red.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1

Agree she looks fabulous I love Rosie Perez especially in The Flight Attendant.

Tracee Ellis Ross was giving me anxiety as was convinced her boobs were going to pop out of the dress.

Jessca Chastain dress - I don’t love it! 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I tuned in just in time to see Jessica Chastain.  I'm not loving it nearly as much as the E! people are.

They love everything though. There’s never any substance in anything they say.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I tuned in just in time to see Jessica Chastain.  I'm not loving it nearly as much as the E! people are.

I was just thinking about how much they love everything.  It's possible to critique something politely.

Lupita N'Yongo is stunning,  but I don't like the dress.

Looks like red is this year's trendy color.

• Love 1

Jesus Laverne - I love Black Monday. She doesn’t seem to know who anyone is or anything about them. Surely that would have been a requirement. 

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 1

Eh, Black Friday, Black Monday -- it's all the same, right?

I like everything about the brown dress except the color.

I almost like Lupita's dress, but not quite.  The twiggy things on the skirt are annoying me.

Tracee Ellis Ross is a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen.

6 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Lupita N'Yongo is stunning,  but I don't like the dress.

It's okay.  I have a problem with the high hair though.  Why wear it like that when you know it will obstruct the view of people seated behind you.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

She’s one of the most beautiful women I’ve ever seen but the dress gives me C -3PO vibes.

Haha 😄 well she was in Star Wars. Not the good ones but maybe she is representing the Force lol.

• LOL 1

Bradley Cooper is one A lister I’ve never understood the hype for. I’m just not into him at all and that’s before even the Lady GaGa cringe fest that was the Star is Born oScar campaign.

• Love 1

Just started watching.  Sorry I missed some of the outfits.  
I like Laverne but I’m always nervous for the hosts because they have to know so much and be quick.

Why doesn’t Giuliana host anymore?

• Love 1

Look, more red.  I love red, but sometimes I get bored with the same color over and over. At least it's a bright, pretty color and not like the years where the in color is nude, or brown or black (not that I have a problem with those colors, I just prefer something a bit brighter, especially if almost everyone is wearing it.).

• Love 1