Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm sorry but the Twitter peeps should never be catered to because they're never satisfied no matter what.

Oscars haven't really been relevant, nor nominated films the majority of people have seen for years.

I also know people were upset with Disney for winning...and I want to say that 'not everyone is a winner '.  And sometimes your favorite won't win.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

and I want to say that 'not everyone is a winner '.  And sometimes your favorite won't win.

It always bugs me when people say "He/she has already won, let somebody else win this year!"

Yeah, no, awards shows don't work that way.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 18

If they really did change the format on the expectation that something COULD happen as opposed to something they KNEW would happen then that is so staggeringly ridiculous it belongs in a Coen brothers movie.

For which Frances will win her next Oscar playing the part of Anthony Hopkins....

Edited by bosawks
  • LOL 22
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I feel like she rolls out of bed on Award day morning, looks in the mirror, and goes 'that looks alright, let's go'

This is what I really like about Frances McDormand. She does her fantastic work, then has a good time and picks up an Oscar without too much fuss about her appearance. I find it quite refreshing actually!

• Love 20

Hmmm, so to paraphrase Horseface Julia Roberts, we now live in a world where Frances McDormand has more Best Actress statues than Meryl Streep.  I fully expect Meryl to win Best Actress within the next year or two for "Mamma Mia:  Oops We Did It AGAIN" or "Biopic About Inspiring Female Leader You Previously Had Never Heard Of".

People I'd like to see win an Oscar before they die:  Glenn Close, Michelle Pfeiffer, Ian McKellen, Sigourney Weaver, Harrison Ford, Samuel L. Jackson. 

And I'd love to see Maggie Smith and Judi Dench get another. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, dmeets said:

Whoever was responsible for putting together the In Memoriam segment should be banned from ever doing it again. Not only was the music wrong, but zooming through and showing some for less than a second is despicable. 

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.  

• Love 10
54 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Hmmm, so to paraphrase Horseface Julia Roberts, we now live in a world where Frances McDormand has more Best Actress statues than Meryl Streep.  I fully expect Meryl to win Best Actress within the next year or two for "Mamma Mia:  Oops We Did It AGAIN" or "Biopic About Inspiring Female Leader You Previously Had Never Heard Of".

People I'd like to see win an Oscar before they die:  Glenn Close, Michelle Pfeiffer, Ian McKellen, Sigourney Weaver, Harrison Ford, Samuel L. Jackson. 

And I'd love to see Maggie Smith and Judi Dench get another. 

I also really need the fabulous Laura Linney to win an Oscar. 

• Love 7

Since I didn't see any of the nominated movies, I wasn't interested in watching the Oscars.  However, I was lucky enough to tune in just as Glenn Close was doing Da Butt and that made my night.  I love her.  Although I wonder if this was scripted because I have a hard time believing that she knew about EU go-go music in DC.  It didn't matter though, I still thought it was awesome. 

• Love 1

This show could come in at under two hours if they just kept to the awards everyone cares about.

They can give makeup, sound, and numerous others the night before.

And I'm sorry, but Frances McDormand is not a very good actress.  The Academy has been in love with the Coen Brothers and her for years and quite frankly, it's nauseating.

• Love 4

I loved Anthony's speech.  He REALLY didn't expect that one.  He mentioned that he didn't expect it more than once, and he was given a lot of time to make a speech.  It kind of tickled me.

Maybe the Oscars will give Chadwick some kind of Lifetime award......  I don't know...   

I don't mind the 3 hour time whatsoever.  I also don't miss the movie clips because I hate spoilers.

My only complaints are that I wish Regina made it clear she was presenting an award (not her fault, but the fault of the direction).  I had no idea she was about to announce an award after all of the storytelling.

And the In Memoriam was so disrespectful and insensitive.

And the Best Picture not being last.

The running time was a little bit over 3 hours and that's fine with me.  It's once a year.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

"Da Butt" was a perfect metaphor for this edition of Oscars.

This ceremony will be remembered for this, Union Station and Daniel's mom and sister's reaction to his "my parents had sex" line. 

19 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Maybe the Oscars will give Chadwick some kind of Lifetime award......  I don't know...   

Ehh....I'm not sold on that.  He had some great roles, but I'll put it this way.  My favourite part of the Globes was when they were asking kids random questions about movies and actors.  Kids gave random answers but  eventually knew one answer.  When they heard "Chadwick Boseman" they all said "Black Panther." 

He didn't win an Oscar.  But his memory and legacy will be long lasting to tons of people.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I'm sorry but the Twitter peeps should never be catered to because they're never satisfied no matter what.

I'm guessing that at most 25% of those complaining Chadwick was robbed even saw Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.

For me the shock of the night was that in a trio of Andra Day, Daniel Kuluuya, and Glenn Close, Daniel was the only one not to set the censors into a tizzy. Maybe his mother, who you'll be thankful to know has had sex, called him to rip him a new one and he decided best to try to behave the rest of the night.

What was Joaquin Phoenix rambling about, something about not really knowing what it's like to fully immerse into a character? If that's what he said, how does he explain his antics while filming I'm Still Here?

2 hours ago, dmeets said:

I'm guessing that at most 25% of those complaining Chadwick was robbed even saw Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.

For me the shock of the night was that in a trio of Andra Day, Daniel Kuluuya, and Glenn Close, Daniel was the only one not to set the censors into a tizzy. Maybe his mother, who you'll be thankful to know has had sex, called him to rip him a new one and he decided best to try to behave the rest of the night.

What was Joaquin Phoenix rambling about, something about not really knowing what it's like to fully immerse into a character? If that's what he said, how does he explain his antics while filming I'm Still Here?

I'd say even 25% would be too high. I would bet money that maybe 5% of the Twittiots saw Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, and maybe .01% saw The Father. It's solely because of Black Panther that they even know his name.

I thought Joaquin was poking fun at himself, since he's kinda known for going way into character?

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Also, I am truly sorry Chadwick Boseman was taken from the world in such an insidious way, and I also know he did not give the best performance in his category.  Or the second best.  Or the third best.  He was galactically better than Gary Oldman, though.  Ma Rainey's Black Bottom was just not a very good movie because it's almost impossible to take August Wilson's poetry and translate it from the artifice of the stage to the verisimilitude of screen.  Those operatic monologues Boseman had to deliver just didn't work; frankly, this was Viola Davis's worst performance, too.  I think Fences was much more successful because Denzel has a better sense of film that George C. Wolfe, who is a theater director first and foremost and directed MRBB like a play.  Boseman and Davis both suffered from that; both performances felt overwrought and ungrounded.

I cannot agree with all of this more. Thank you for so intelligently and succinctly saying what I didn't like about MRBB and Boseman's and Davis's monologues. While they were beautifully delivered and really showcased the actors' performance talent, they still left me a little cold because I just kept thinking, "Oscar clip!". I didn't know it was play until watching the closing credits, but that made sense. I generally don't like non-musical plays made into movies, because they almost always seem like a stage production that was videoed. MRBB was especially like that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
57 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

The Hopkins win was maybe the most surprising win of the Oscars since Crash beat Brokeback for Best Picture.

Really? I would have thought that if he hadn't just won the BAFTA two weeks ago, but to me that was a huge hint that he could upset. Many times, if there's going to be an upset BAFTA is the one that calls it (there's overlap in the Academy membership with the BAFTA membership). You can try to write it off by saying it was because he's British, but BAFTA has matched the Best Actor category for the last 7 years in a row, British or not.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
40 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

My only complaints are that I wish Regina made it clear she was presenting an award (not her fault, but the fault of the direction).  I had no idea she was about to announce an award after all of the storytelling.

And the In Memoriam was so disrespectful and insensitive.

I don't think Chadwick will get any kind of award... the Honorary Award is usually seen as a Lifetime Achievement Award, and the point is to honor the recipient while they are still living for their career's body of work.  I do believe Edward G Robinson received this award posthumously, but they had already told him about it, and then he died before the ceremony, so they gave it to his wife.  I think Boseman's moment has gone, but his loss will be talked about and discussed for years, like how Judy Garland (A Star is Born) lost to Grace Kelly (The Country Girl).

I thought the Regina King opening was awkward and forced.  Here she is, striding forcefully and determinedly across the carpet, clutching an Oscar.  Then she dramatically enters this room and walks onto the stage and just starts talking and telling stories.  For a moment I misremembered and thought she had won Supporting Actress last year and was going to open the show by handing out the Supporting Actor award.  Then I remembered it was Laura Dern and King's win was the year before and was wondering what she was doing then.  Then she started talking about Minnesota and how she is the mother of a black son, and I thought it was an odd way to set the tone for the show.  Instead of an opening musical number like how Billy Crystal used to do, or jokes from other hosts, I felt like I was getting preached at.

When each presenter was extolling the virtues of each nominee, I wonder if they just read off what they were supposed to, or if they added in their own.  Laura Dern telling Daniel Kaluuya about how much he inspired her etc seemed personal (and telegraphed his win, even though it was all but foretold).  These sequences seemed forced and unnecessary.  I truly couldn't give a fig about what inspires Laura Dern.

I also didn't care for the excessively long speeches.  I guess it's obvious that winners got as much time as they wanted to speak this year.  I know there was no band but they could have had Questlove play music to play them off, and for some reason (maybe because there were no songs and until midway through the show, no film clips) I guess they thought they had enough time.  It seems like the "Name That Tune" segment was added purely because the producers thought the show wouldn't make it to 11 PM eastern so needed some filler.

The In Memoriam segment... I agree it was odd the way some people got a split second and other more notable people got longer.  I would have appreciated seeing clips of some of the bigger names.  We lost some big names this year, in addition to Chadwick.  Two time Oscar winner Olivia de Havilland, Oscar winner Christopher Plummer, Honarary Award winner Cicely Tyson, Oscar winner Sean Connery.  I would have preferred separate segments throughout the show spotlighting each of them and their work.  Then the In Memoriam could have proceeded at equal pace for everyone.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

The Hopkins win was maybe the most surprising win of the Oscars since Crash beat Brokeback for Best Picture.

I don't know if it was universally that much of a surprise.  

I follow this account on Twitter where they asked everyone to vote on who should win each award before the ceremony.  Anthony was in first place and Chadwick didn't even come in second.  Riz Ahmed did.  So I guess the tide has turned against Chadwick recently.  Maybe a lot of people have seen "The Father" in the past 3 months.  

However, the same voting group thought that Carey would or should win over Frances.

I don't blame people for being upset whatsoever.  I think if a white actor died around the same age as Chadwick and turned in such a performance, he would have had a much better chance of winning the award as Heath Ledger did.  But I understand that Heath was also nominated as Supporting.  It's just that the groundswell of support for Heath's performance seemed to be unprecedented and it's sad that Chadwick's performance wasn't given near the same respect.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I love Fran McDormand's work, but for all that is holy, woman, this is the Oscars!  At least comb your hair.  I realize she's too cool for school for all this shit, but she could at least look a little dignified.  You don't need false eyelashes and a ballgown, but style your hair, wear a little makeup and a pretty dress.  It's not that hard.  (unless of course, she stopped by the Oscars after grocery shopping and stopping to fill up the gas tank.)

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Anthony Hopkins is always a class act and his speech reflected that.

Re: Frances McDormand, I thought the difference between her and Chloe Zhao was telling. Chloe was also dressed down but looked neat and clean. Frances McDormand looked ragged. 

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, roughing it said:

I love Fran McDormand's work, but for all that is holy, woman, this is the Oscars!  At least comb your hair.  I realize she's too cool for school for all this shit, but she could at least look a little dignified.  You don't need false eyelashes and a ballgown, but style your hair, wear a little makeup and a pretty dress.  It's not that hard.  (unless of course, she stopped by the Oscars after grocery shopping and stopping to fill up the gas tank.)

I think the answer is that she just doesn't care.  Her style reminds me of Tilda Swinton, particularly the year Tilda wore that garbage bag looking thing.  Tilda is also one who apparently doesn't care.

Regarding best or worst dressed, I'm wondering why Chloe Zhao seems to mostly be getting a pass in the media.  Is it because her win as an Asian female director was historic?  I thought everything about her look was terrible.  The long pigtails, the shapeless beige sack dress, the sneakers.  Were it not for the sneakers, I would think she was waiting to board a Conestoga wagon for a trip out West.  Some might say this is her style, but even looking at her Wikipedia profile photo shows that she can look a lot better.

• Love 2

I haven't seen any of the nominees so didn't have a horse in any of the races aside from liking people personally. 

I thought the show itself was...fine. Given the pandemic restrictions I think the producers made the most of it. I certainly thought it was way more successful than other pandemic era award shows I've seen. But agree that the lack of clips was a glaring omission. I had thought that given the producers, an opportunity to highlight the nominated work would have been a priority but 🤷‍♀️.

• Love 3

I always like Frances McDormand, and I thought Nomadland was really good, but I certainly wouldn't call it the years best picture. I guess this years nominees were a bit sparse with most films being shut down for awhile, but I couldn't help but think how underwhelming the best picture nominees were. I only saw four of them, so I guess I should see the rest before I make any judgements, but while they were all good none of them really blew my mind. And I actually like arsty Oscar bait usually! If I was going to choose though, I would have gone with Judas and the Black Messiah or Sound of Metal, they were both the movies that stuck with me the most and were the most compelling for me personally, but like I said, I didn't see all of them. The best parts of Nomadland were the directing and cinematography, so I am glad that they are getting props for those, but like I said, not my choice for best picture. Oscar voters do love them some Frances McDormand and movies with a lot of long stretches of quiet, so I am not shocked by those wins. 

I know people will be annoyed by Disney winning best animated picture, and I hear that Wolfwalkers is amazing (hopefully it will come to a streaming site I get or to theaters soon!) but I cant be mad about Soul winning. Soul was a great movie, certainly the best of the animated nominees, and I would say its better than Nomadland. That's my Oscar hot take, for ya. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

This show could come in at under two hours if they just kept to the awards everyone cares about.

There were some parts I wasn't a huge fan of (the rushed In Memoriam, switching around the Big 3 awards at the end) but even having not seen the majority of the films I enjoyed the show. I don't mind that it's three hours - there's a lot of aspects that make a film great or can ruin it if not done correctly, so it's kind of fun to get speeches to the less prominent awards. Those folks also aren't usually big stars used to being in front of the camera so often have the best off-the-cuff speeches! I think acceptance speeches where they thank a list of people is boring, I like when they talk about what brought them to this film or how they were able to make it award-worthy.

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

When each presenter was extolling the virtues of each nominee, I wonder if they just read off what they were supposed to, or if they added in their own.  Laura Dern telling Daniel Kaluuya about how much he inspired her etc seemed personal (and telegraphed his win, even though it was all but foretold).  These sequences seemed forced and unnecessary.  I truly couldn't give a fig about what inspires Laura Dern.

I also didn't care for the excessively long speeches.

I guess in that vein of liking the more random acceptance speeches I kind of liked the presenters throwing in little tidbits about the nominees. Sometimes I forget at the end of the day these are just people who like movies and are a bit in awe of the movies stars in the room, even if they are one themself. The whole point of these is announcing winners, so shouldn't the majority of the time be on allowing the winners to speak?

If I were in charge would have slowed down the In Memoriam and kept the "Big 3" awards in the usual order. And kept clips of the nominees! I think some other changes they made were good though, and having presenters talk about/to nominees gave it a more intimate feel than this show usually has. 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I know people will be annoyed by Disney winning best animated picture, and I hear that Wolfwalkers is amazing (hopefully it will come to a streaming site I get or to theaters soon!) but I cant be mad about Soul winning. Soul was a great movie, certainly the best of the animated nominees, and I would say its better than Nomadland. That's my Oscar hot take, for ya. 

Are people really surprised or mad about Soul winning? IMO that was the biggest lock of the night, even moreso than Nomadland. It's a big well-received Pixar movie. Nothing else even had a chance.

Not having Best Picture last is just so weird because literally every other awards show in any entertainment medium has as their last award the big one in their field. Best Drama at the Emmys, Best Musical at the Tonys, Best Ensemble at the SAGS, Best Drama at the Globes, etc. I don't think any of them have ever not had that big award last to end the show. And we saw why that was not a good idea.

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I think Boseman's moment has gone, but his loss will be talked about and discussed for years, like how Judy Garland (A Star is Born) lost to Grace Kelly (The Country Girl).

Maybe, but I really hope Hopkins' legit win doesn't get tainted in the process, like his win was somehow undeserved. IMO this is one time where the right actor actually won because of the strength of his performance, and not the sentimental favorite.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10

I saw on Twitter that people were going nuts over Zendaya's dress, she was "slaying" the red carpet but I didn't really care for it. The color was nice but I didn't like the weird opening in the front. I also liked the color of Regina King's dress but not the weird poofed up sleeves. I usually watch the Oscars for the fashion but there really wasn't a dress that wowed me this year. Angela Bassett did look great.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Heath Ledger was also them righting a wrong because he didn't get it for Brokeback Mountain and that was one of the greatest screen performances of all time.

Heath Ledger also won for a (great) performance in a hugely popular Batman movie that pretty much everyone had seen.

I haven't seen "The Father, but it doesn't surprise me that Anthony Hopkins gave a great performance, or that the subject matter hit home with a lot of Oscar voters (especially the older ones). I also think it's possible that there was a split with younger voters between Chadwick Boseman and Riz Ahmed (who was pretty damned great in "The Sound of Metal"). I love Chadwick's work and thought he was excellent in "Ma Rainey", but I can see how this turned out the way it did. The producers of the show suck for switching the award order to capitalize on an outcome that wasn't a guarantee--it feels manipulative (and it backfired on them).

Edited by OnePlusOne
  • Love 5

I thought the fashions were particularly bad this year, and seeing the nominees made me start trying to remember the last time I actually wanted to see the Oscar winning best movie.  It has been awhile.

I thought Marlene Matlin was the look of the night. She was classy and glitzy. everyone else varied between too much skin or barely making an effort. 

I hated Carey Mulligans top part of her dress and thought she looked freezing. I hated the colour of Zendayas dress as it looked tacky. 

2 minutes ago, OnePlusOne said:

The producers of the show suck for switching the award order to capitalize on an outcome that wasn't a guarantee--it feels manipulative (and it backfired on them).

This! They wanted the emotional speech by his wife, the standing ovation and over the top tears and claps of his peers (only some of which I think would have been genuine). It was incredibly manipulative and also really tacky. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Really? I would have thought that if he hadn't just won the BAFTA two weeks ago, but to me that was a huge hint that he could upset. Many times, if there's going to be an upset BAFTA is the one that calls it (there's overlap in the Academy membership with the BAFTA membership). You can try to write it off by saying it was because he's British, but BAFTA has matched the Best Actor category for the last 7 years in a row, British or not.

Vegas had Chadwick as a HUGE betting favorite. I mean they changed the order of the awards so Best Actor would be last, thinking they would end on an emotional tribute to Chadwick and a tearful speech. Instead Questlove was all, "goodnight," and it awkwardly ended there. It actually serves the producers right for trying to manipulate and use someone's death to pump up ratings and such.

51 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

I saw on Twitter that people were going nuts over Zendaya's dress, she was "slaying" the red carpet but I didn't really care for it. The color was nice but I didn't like the weird opening in the front.

I wasn't wild about Zendaya's dress either. The color was fantastic and her NECKLACE was amazing, but the dress itself with the huge cutout in the midriff was meh.

I actually thought most of the actors' outfits looked kind of cheap and costume-y. Maybe the only actress whose dress I really liked was Marlee Matlin's.

• Love 4

I saw Ma Rainey’s Bkack bottom and I hated it. So boring I fell asleep. I don’t know why I try to watch the Oscars. Every year it’s boring and I just get drunker hoping to make it entertaining but it never gets entertaining lol. At least if there’s some musical performances it’s a bit better. There was none this year tho. 

Edited by Marley
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I know people will be annoyed by Disney winning best animated picture, and I hear that Wolfwalkers is amazing (hopefully it will come to a streaming site I get or to theaters soon!) but I cant be mad about Soul winning. 

Wolfwalkers is on Apple TV+ which I believe offers a free seven-day trial.

Hopkins' win reminds me of Olivia Colman's win over Glenn Close a couple years back in that many were pretty stunned when in happened, but in retrospect it's probably not at all shocking.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I'd say even 25% would be too high. I would bet money that maybe 5% of the Twittiots saw Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, and maybe .01% saw The Father. It's solely because of Black Panther that they even know his name.

That's a bit elitist IMO. Ma Rainey is on Netflix, an extremely popular streaming platform. Everyone I've seen talking about Chadwick specifically mentioned his performance in the movie. Also, for the record, those "Twittiots" are people, too, with valid opinions of their own. No need to call them idiots because they don't agree with the winner.

6 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Well, I'm someone of the "everyone," and I care about who wins makeup and sound. They deserve the spotlight, too.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 13
4 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

. Also, for the record, those "Twittiots" are people, too, with valid opinions of their own. No need to call them idiots because they don't agree with the winner.

Nah, they think the only reason Chadwick didn't win is that they had to give the award to "an old white guy." The Twitter mob are idiots.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I saw Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, Mank, Nomadland, and One Night In Miami.  I'm surprised ONiM wasn't recognized, more.  I thought it was pretty good, and I thought it had Best Original Song on lock, but oh well.

MRBB was okay.  I thought Chadwick Boseman was hands down the best thing about it, but other than that, it was pretty boring.  I am disappointed he didn't win, but hey, it's hard to compete against Anthony Hopkins.  I didn't see The Father, but I've heard he's amazing in it.

Mank put me to sleep, but I really liked Nomadland.  It was a sad movie, but there was also a lot of hope in it.  I am happy that it won, and that Frances won, even though her kooky antics kind of annoy me.  Props to her for wearing her mask all night, though.

The show itself was stripped down to nothing, and I was not a fan.  I like having no host, and I like less gimmicks and corny comedy skits, but film is a visual medium, and it would have been nice to *see* the work they were talking about, instead of just hearing about it.  But, I doubt they will go this route next year, since the ratings were abysmal.

• Love 1

It hasn't been mentioned either in this thread or in the Awards Season thread, but Riz Ahmed won the Best Male Lead prize at the Independent Spirit Awards on Thursday, beating Chadwick Boseman. (The Father was not eligible so no Hopkins in the category.) Combine that with Hopkins' win at the BAFTAs and it shows a possibility that the tide was turning in the late run-up to the Oscars. 

One way or another, the producers made a huge error in judgment by holding Best Actor for the final award of the night.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
51 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:
58 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

. Also, for the record, those "Twittiots" are people, too, with valid opinions of their own. No need to call them idiots because they don't agree with the winner.

Nah, they think the only reason Chadwick didn't win is that they had to give the award to "an old white guy." The Twitter mob are idiots.

Highlighting the Academy's problematic racial disparities doesn't make them idiots. It makes them aware. I also think the Academy chose the old white guy over the Black guy, too. Guess I'm an idiot?

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

Highlighting the Academy's problematic racial disparities doesn't make them idiots.

It doesn’t but I also don’t feel it’s fair to write off Hopkins win as a result of racism which is what a lot of people are doing. He gave a brilliant performance and while there’s so many instances in which Hollywood is actually racist I don’t think this decision was one of them. I think the academy’s big mistake was switching the categories around and putting additional pressure on him winning. 

Edited by Avabelle
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
48 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

This article explains so much. I still don't agree with many of thier decisions, but at least this gives some insight into what they were thinking. 

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/oscars-order-da-butt-glenn-close-in-memoriam-1234960635/

Well it confirmed that Glenn Close was not THAT well versed in Da Butt, but Spike Lee gave her a shout out on Instagram.

I had a feeling that once the Best Song category was moved to the pre show (which I didn't know about until I landed on the pre show by accident so I didn't see all of them) they were letting the speeches go long.  But they should have still set a time limit because that along with the lack of clips dragged the energy way down.  

In a year where award shows had to swing for the fences, a lot of them missed entirely.  I think the Grammys did put on the best telecast this award season. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, blackwing said:

I love both McKellen and Weaver, but I don't think he's up to the kind of performance that would win an Oscar at this point in his life, and while she theoretically still could I don't think she's being offered roles that would enable it.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Well, I'm someone of the "everyone," and I care about who wins makeup and sound. They deserve the spotlight, too.

I always really enjoy seeing all the technical awards as well, the people doing sound mixing, makeup, costumes, lighting, etc. The superstar actors and directors all get the big categories, but its great to celebrate the people behind the scenes get their time in the spotlight. The effects people, the costume designers, the sound editors, the lighting engineers, few people know who they are but without them movies don't exist. You don't really know how important something like production design is until you see a movie that is terrible at it, which can really help you appreciate what these behind the scenes folks do and how important their job is and how much talent they have. I hate that the tech people always get played off in about three seconds while Joaquin Phoenix or whoever can recite the entirety of War and Peace without getting played off, let the non superstars have their moment. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 17

I'm looking at Best Actor and this is the category that has IMO the most egregious mistakes.

1941 - Gary Cooper won instead of Orson Welles in Citizen Kane.

1943 - Paul Lukas instead of Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca.

1946 - Frederic March instead of Jimmy Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life

1955 - Ernest Borginine in Marty instead of James Dean in East of Eden

1961 - Maximillian Schell instead of Paul Newman for The Hustler

1964 - Rex Harrison for MFL instead of Peter Sellers for Dr. Strangelove

1968 - Cliff Robertson instead of Peter O'Toole for Lion in Winter

1969 - John Wayne instead of Dustin Hoffman in Midnight Cowboy

1973 - Jack Lemmon instead of Marlon Brando in Last Tango in Paris

1974 - Art Carney instead of Al Pacino for Godfather II

1975 - Peter Finch instead of Robert de Niro in Taxi Driver

1981 - Henry Fonda instead of Warren Beatty for Reds

1994 - Tom Hanks for Forrest Gump instead of Morgan Freeman for Shawshank Redemption

1995 - Nicholas Cage instead of Sean Penn for Dead Man Walking

1999 - Kevin Spacey instead of Matt Damon who wasn't even nominated for Talented Mr. Ripley

2001 - Denzel Washington instead of Russell Crowe for A Beautiful Mind

2005 - Philip Seymour Hoffman instead of Heath Ledger for Brokeback Mountain

2013 - Matthew McCounaughey instead of Leo for Wolf of Wall St.

It's actually hard to comprehend some of these choices. Wow.

50 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I love both McKellen and Weaver, but I don't think he's up to the kind of performance that would win an Oscar at this point in his life, and while she theoretically still could I don't think she's being offered roles that would enable it.

McKellen's two years younger than last night's Best Actor winner. I think it could still happen.

I agree with you on Sigourney Weaver. If she didn't win her Oscar the year she was nominated for two, I don't think it's happening. 

• Love 1