Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

the good: finally got to the ‘in memoriam.’

the bad: who the hell picked the music?

i’m usually in tears, but that upbeat dance tempo took me right out of it. 

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 7

That was very oddly timed; a lot of folks I didn't have time to read the name and what they did, while others seemed to linger longer.

I'll forgive it, though, for any excuse to hear "Space Oddity," even if it is an AirBnB ad.

• Love 1

If they are presenting Best Picture now, that means Best Actor has to be last. You know they want to honour Chadwick in some way and you know his wife will give a speech that will destroy us all.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
Just now, Snow Apple said:

It went so fast that I barely had time to read the names.

Plus it felt like an eye-exam where you had to very quickly move from side to middle to other side and compute the name in a nano-second.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Slade347 said:

Are they really doing Best Picture before the lead Actor awards?

Maybe they gave those out with the technical awards that they always host in the basement.

Well, up until now, I was the only person not complaining about the ceremony, but now you can count me in.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

Not that it's going to happen--let's be real here--but if anyone other than Chadwick Boseman wins Best Actor, this is going to blow up spectacularly in their faces.  (But let's be real--it's obvious they want the tribute to Boseman to end the show.)

• Love 5

I thought best picture was the big one? I appreciate Chadwick has passed but don't know what I agree with changing the show to honour him? Or maybe I do.. I don't know it's late and this show has been awful anyway.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Artsda said:

Best picture not last, what is this madness. 

My guess is because there's no suspense about it versus Best Actress which is a shit show and Best Actor is locked but I imagine they want to give Chadwick's widow the full time to speak. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

the good: finally got to the ‘in memoriam.’

the bad: who the hell picked the music?

i’m usually in tears, but that update dance tempo took me right out of it. 

I missed part of it, sadly.  But I also wondered about the uptempo song used — not right.

1 minute ago, wallflower75 said:

Not that it's going to happen--let's be real here--but if anyone other than Chadwick Boseman wins Best Actor, this is going to blow up spectacularly in their faces.  (But let's be real--it's obvious they want the tribute to Boseman to end the show.)

with the possible exception of anthony hopkins.

• Love 1

Best Picture is not important this time around.  Actor and Actress are the more interesting categories.  You have Actor who is down to Chadwick Boseman or Anthony Hopkins and then you have Actress which is a toss up.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ok I get that Chloe Zhao isn't Hollywood but her dress looks like a grocery store bag.

I always think that about whatever Frances wears.

• Love 4

Fran, while I appreciate your call to watch movies in a theater, studios have other ideas now, including me getting to watch your movie on Star (non USA equivalent of Hulu) via Disney + in Canada. 

Dang, she manages to beat out Viola Davis? The Academy must love her wolf calls. 

• Love 1