Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm so happy to see Chloe Zhao win!  I thought Nomadland was brilliant but wondered if the Academy would consider the subject too much of a downer.  Glad to be wrong.  And she seems like a lovely person as well.

• Love 6
Just now, blackwing said:

I could have sworn that the Oscars had said a week or two ago that there would be no Zooming in to accept an award, there was only an in-person option.  I guess they changed their minds because there are clearly nominees Zooming in.  And winners, like the French guy who looked like he was outside in the dark on a rooftop.

The Brits made a stink, so they folded.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Will the In Memoriam be someone rambling on endlessly about those we lost in the past year?    

Fuck that's gonna be one long list 😞.  

Awards are all over the place.  I'm feeling like Mank and TC7 are headed for a shut out since the awards they were thought to win have already passed.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Will the In Memoriam be someone rambling on endlessly about those we lost in the past year?    

Oh man I hope not.  It's my fave part of the show, next to when women win awards for best directing.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Refresh said:

Right? Makeup and hair, but we see NO imagery just people smiling some guy staring at the teleprompter? 

This... it feels like work.! Like it’s a bad zoom version of an awards show, too much talking too many people staring at screens.

The musical performances took place earlier so I can’t even look forward to that. 

I stopped watching still no clips?  Who is in charge of this production? I need to speak to the manager.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I can't believe they aren't showing clips from the films. WTF.

Agreed.  I am really missing the clips.  So glad Sound of Metal won for sound editing.  It was a great movie.  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

Oh man I hope not.  It's my fave part of the show, next to when women win awards for best directing.

I'm guessing they'll go back to Dolby Theatre BC they could show clips there.

• LOL 1
7 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

And braids. I don't know who she is but I think that's cool. Be yourself.

She has been on every other awards show in what appears to be a t-shirt, sitting in a desk chair, against a blank wall. So refreshing.

• Love 3

This is horrible. I don’t care about these ppl rambling on about who’s nominated. It sucks. There is capability for clips so fucking play some.

Also I’m sorry MPTF might be a good thing but they couldn’t find a better charity to highlight in these crazy times. Hollywood is so tone deaf.

The Oscars have never been great but holy fuck this is horrible.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

One advantage to this set-up is that the winners stuck in the backseats still are able to get to the stage quickly!

The recycling people in and out gives the people normally in the back like fashion/makeup a front row seat. I like that.

• Love 8

I'm getting the feeling that the producers (hello Soderbergh) were trying to create an intimate feel, like the first Oscars that were held at the Roosevelt Hotel, instead of the usual spectacle which wasn't exactly feasible with pandemic living.  I'm kinda on the fence whether I'm enjoying it or not, but I give them credit for trying.

• Love 10
Just now, ebk57 said:

Voiceover lady - I swear we're running on time.

That better be correct!  Or I'll... just be watching later...

And it's still young.  I think last year's telecast was actually running relatively on time, but then both Renee Zellweger and Joaquin Phoenix made sure to put a stop to that! 

• Love 2
Just now, kittykat said:

Have the sound awards been merged back into one category?

Seems so.  The NYT said something like "newly streamlined" sound award.  I did not read the details, though.

• Useful 2
Just now, thuganomics85 said:

And it's still young.  I think last year's telecast was actually running relatively on time, but then both Renee Zellweger and Joaquin Phoenix made sure to put a stop to that! 

Pepperidge Farms remembers...

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, CherryMalotte said:

I'm getting the feeling that the producers (hello Soderbergh) were trying to create an intimate feel, like the first Oscars that were held at the Roosevelt Hotel, instead of the usual spectacle which wasn't exactly feasible with pandemic living.  I'm kinda on the fence whether I'm enjoying it or not, but I give them credit for trying.

I wouldn't mind the more "intimate" feeling except that they've cut out some of the things that I really enjoy and added things I could do without.  I mean, it's always fun to see what the producers decide to use for someone's Oscar clip.  Instead, we're getting, "Oh, [insert name here], you're so amazing because [blah blah]."

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Just turned it back on.  Oh great bashing the police who put their lives on the line everyday.  

The film was a time loop in which a Black man is continually killed by a cop...

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Just turned it back on.  Oh great bashing the police who put their lives on the line everyday.  

You may not be aware (this is a place where showing clips may have helped), but the winning short film, Two Distant Strangers, is about the death of Black Americans at the hands of the police. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 15
2 minutes ago, susannah said:

It's offensive.

The Derek Chauvins who come way too close to getting away with murder are offensive.

On-topic, the speech from the winners for Whatever Happens I Love You were fabulous.

• Love 20

They really needed to show clips for the short films.  Now, seeing clips of the full length animated films makes it even worse. I thought there might have been a technical reason.

Edited by ProudMary
  • Love 2