Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I normally love Viola Davis’ style . I’m not sure if I like her look tonight. 

Tonight I am really here for you guys as I know NOTHING about the nominations and front runners. I kept forgetting they were tonight!

• Love 2

Yeah i'm here for the banter. I haven't kept up with a lot of the movies this year.

Agree regarding Viola, I think she's stunning and usually love her red carpet looks but not loving the dress this year.

Is Carrie Mulligan wearing a bikini top and skirt?!

54 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Is Emerald Fennell really the first British lady to be nominated for best director?

Yep. Until this year only 5 women had been nominated, so probably not a surprise.

Lina Wertmüller (1976′s “Seven Beauties”), Jane Campion (1993′s “The Piano”), Sofia Coppola (2003′s “Lost in Translation”), Kathryn Bigelow (2009′s “The Hurt Locker”), and Greta Gerwig (2017′s “Lady Bird”). One Italian, one New Zealander (sp?) and three Americans.

Andra Day looks amazing. Her figure is banging. The slit on that dress is giving me anxiety.

I'm loving the vibe this year - the area they're all at on the ABC channel looks so chilled out. 

I think ABC and the Academy know the ratings be dreadful, so they are making the best of it and want to have a laid back vibe so people can hang and simply SEE fellow actors instead of Zoom. Nominees are saying that it feels calm. 

• Love 2

I really like this setup. It seems like the best compromise between having a traditional awards show and keeping in mind health and safety protocols. Hope it's warm in LA today. It can get really chilly at night in LA.

ETA wow I did not realize Reese Witherspoon was that petite until she stood next to Laura Dern. I love Reese's dress.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

Is it the dress? Because I don't know Laura Dern to be this super tall woman and yet she looks like a literal giant next to Reese Witherspoon right now. 

Laura Dern is 5’10” and Reese is 5”1’.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Is it the dress? Because I don't know Laura Dern to be this super tall woman and yet she looks like a literal giant next to Reese Witherspoon right now. 

I did not know Laura was so tall until she stood next to Reese. I wonder if Reese skipped out on the stilettos this year. 

Reese's dress is the perfect way to dress a petite, short-waisted woman. Laura's feather skirt otoh is ... uh, no bueno.

Ez24zb_XEAAtbUa?format=jpg&name=medium

• Love 2

I'm not blown away by any of the gowns tonight, which is disappointing. If I have to pick a best dressed, it's probably Maria Bakalova.

I do like the live pre-recorded versions of all the Best Song nominees as part of the pre-show, instead of within the actual show.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

Christ Laura Dern. What the hell are you thinking? I just don't understand lol

It really was unfortunate. I thought she looked like an ostrich. 

• Love 3

Agree although I feel like this is my first time hearing any of the songs which is surprising as they're usually a lot more popular.

Agree regarding the outfits, it feels like a lot of people have used this year as an excuse to dress down. I particularly hate the tshirt under tux look Riz and Daniel have gone for.

Just now, thuganomics85 said:

I'd actually be all for every show to start off with Regina King just power-walking up to a podium.  Doesn't matter what genre or kind of show it is: it would make it ten times better!

Exactly. 

• Love 1

Quest love is doing the music? Already that’s a plus. 

Union Station is STUNNING. 

OK, Oscars, you literally have nothing to lose except ratings which is expected. In a pandemic year and social activism on the rise. Good luck, production team. 

• Love 3